ADVERTISEMENT

It's official

ThePunish-EER

All-American
Aug 19, 2005
Shane Lyons is incompetent as AD. After ending contract negotiations with holgorsen and taking on a foolish stance of year to year contracts with assistants versus multi year deals; he's totally dropping the ball. Good luck building the program.

Never a shortage of the sky is falling posts on any sports forum.

Shane didn't hire these guys. The message is clear: Produce or I'll find someone I think will.

When you come from Alabama, where national titles happen more often than anywhere else in this decade, you aren't satisfied with just punching the clock.

TCU proved that a newcomer can do it. Huggins is doing is much better in basketball.

So it's time for Dana and his cohorts to do it, or go away.

What's so wrong about that? Why reward average performances with extended contracts?

no facts? Lol. Really? Brian Mitchell left didn't he? Think what you want, but it's stupid.
Like I said you don't have a clue what you're talking about. If you actually want some of the details then I'll share what I can tomorrow but right now you're just throwing out emotional posts with no facts.

Like I said you don't have a clue what you're talking about. If you actually want some of the details then I'll share what I can tomorrow but right now you're just throwing out emotional posts with no facts.
ok let me know tomorrow.

Coach DuH came within an eyelash of blowing that bowl game. Eddie Pasthisprime hired Gomer on an emotional bowl win. Eddie also passed over Beilein for Jockitch when Huggy would not bite in round one. I figure Lyons wants to move to the next level instead of being a conference bottom feeder getting a welfare check every year.

Produce or I'll find someone I think will is a completely fair approach for a major D-I team with a storied tradition of winning. It is what year 6 after all for the Holg era? Nothing wrong with expecting a big season by year 6. And yes, I know 2011 ended great, but at some point you have to follow up with consistently similar results.

Shane Lyons is incompetent as AD. After ending contract negotiations with holgorsen and taking on a foolish stance of year to year contracts with assistants versus multi year deals; he's totally dropping the ball. Good luck building the program.

If anything it might (pure speculation) show that he's just a harder negotiator, and honestly there's no better time to display that than when dealing with someone you didn't hire and have no attachments too.

Thus far Lyons has done nothing publicly to show he's either incompetent, or capable.

For all his good qualities, you always got a bargain come contract time with Luck.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Totally agree with you. DH is not Lyons boy and he just assume he would fail. If he is goimg to tie his hands He should just fire him

lyons has to put the program first.

it's tough on fanboys, but pressure might do dana some good. dana has the opportunity to show results this year and he may. if not, fanboys may like the next coach.

chin up. the world won't end when dana leaves.

Totally agree with you. DH is not Lyons boy and he just assume he would fail. If he is goimg to tie his hands He should just fire him
Ok, I buy that Dana is NOT 'Lyons' boy' but I surely hope that if he continues, what looks like a personal ego trip to 'make HIS mark, that he also recognizes that he does not have a relationship with 'Mr. un-nice guy' from Huntington when the clamor begins for his hiring. How can anyone hearing the decisions he has recently made conclude other than program stability will greatly decrease and with it recruiting will hit a low point.

Why does Dana need an extension so bad? I don't think he deserved be fired, but he doesn't deserve to be extended either. Any extension he gets would be smoke and mirrors, if he doesn't produce he is fired. Recruits are aware of this.

It ain't just Dana that will be fired if he doesn't produce WINS. Every coach in the nation is in the same boat. The result is that most all coaches ultimately get the axe. The end result is that the replacement coach can't get the necessary WINS either. If you don't like Holgs.............you won't like our next coach either. Holgs? He OK.

I haven't been impressed with Lyons thus far, but he was put in a bad situation with DHs contract due to Luck's blunder.

His situation was fine when arriving. This was his first year in a new job. He gets two full season to evaluate Holgorsen then make his decision, which is totally reasonable.

IMO, it would have been foolish for a first year AD to fire an 8 win coach, buyout or not. Next year, if he fires DH, it won't appear rash.

Stewart made a big deal over his extension too, claiming it mattered when talking to recruits. I don't know if that's true or not, but imo, it just sounds like a leverage point.

If I were a coach or agent i'd be making the same argument but I don't believe my own baloney.

You're right. WVU should just go ahead and lock themselves in to a longterm contract that may end up costing the university millions if he falls flat on his face. Of course, on the other side of it, he could have a really successful year next year and walk away. But, if he does and stays, then his potential contract would be a lot higher than an extension now. So, it could benefit Holgorsen to wait until next year. He may be even a bit more motivated to push harder.

Shane Lyons should be praised. His job is to do what is best for wvu sports. whatever his reason for not granting a contract extension he should be applauded for sticking to his guns

First if Lyons broke off negotiations...then good for him. That's called good negotiations for his employer WVU...something that OL didn't do before he bolted!

Second, if DH broke off the negotiations then he his rolling the dice on a great year next year...or as I said in another post...planning his world sight seeking trip on his 2017 2.9 million he would find in his bank account...thanks again to OL.

Lyons seems to be just doing his job IMO.

Shane Lyons should be praised. His job is to do what is best for wvu sports. whatever his reason for not granting a contract extension he should be applauded for sticking to his guns

First if Lyons broke off negotiations...then good for him. That's called good negotiations for his employer WVU...something that OL didn't do before he bolted!

Second, if DH broke off the negotiations then he his rolling the dice on a great year next year...or as I said in another post...planning his world sight seeking trip on his 2017 2.9 million he would find in his bank account...thanks again to OL.

Lyons seems to be just doing his job IMO.
no it's piss poor work by Shane Lyons. Out of touch with college football like several of you guys who think it was a good idea to, 1.) implement a failure policy to offer only year to year contracts to assistant coaches, 2.) break off contract negotiations with Dana who is actually producing above his pay scale (8th highest salary in big 12 and averages 4-5th place in conference). It hurts your program. To think otherwise is foolish as its already cost us an assistant coach in Brian Mitchell. It hurts recruiting. Kids and their parents want to know the coach will be there with the kids who sign to play here. Instead, Lyons fumbles the ball here and thinks it's wise to head into the upcoming season and recruiting cycle with a lame duck coach. Not smart. So what if he's a Parkersburg boy who fetched coffee at Alabama. We should expect better. He's no Oliver luck. If he was smart, he would either fire Dana or extend Dana. Afterall, he's supposed to be looking out for the program's best interests. He failed.

Well you certainly have a fan boy opinion there punish-eer. unlike you, there are some of us who actually want to see WVU succeed and not be happy with "piss poor" coaching performance each year...and then say how great things are. OL sold out WVU in regards to the "one way" contract with good ole DH.

Lyons is very un-impressive. Heck... he couldn't even read his speech for the Hot Rod Hundely statue dedication. What a lackluster performance for such a great athlete. If you're going to show up... put on a "show"!

Well you certainly have a fan boy opinion there punish-eer. unlike you, there are some of us who actually want to see WVU succeed and not be happy with "piss poor" coaching performance each year...and then say how great things are. OL sold out WVU in regards to the "one way" contract with good ole DH.
its not about being a "fanboy". It's about making a decision. That's his job. To look out for this program. By not making a decision he's hurting the program. If you're gonna fire him, do it. Why set the program back and lose a year recruiting. Thus hurting the next coach. If you're gonna keep him, extend him. It's called leadership. Sorry bud, Lyons gets an F here.

Reactions: MichaelJLucasWV
its not about being a "fanboy". It's about making a decision. That's his job. To look out for this program. By not making a decision he's hurting the program. If you're gonna fire him, do it. Why set the program back and lose a year recruiting. Thus hurting the next coach. If you're gonna keep him, extend him. It's called leadership. Sorry bud, Lyons gets an F here.

I have nothing against the man, but I do think he's over his head. A fish rots from the head and I think we're seeing it here. I wish the best for his wife and kids. I just think he can't do the job.

Lyons is very un-impressive. Heck... he couldn't even read his speech for the Hot Rod Hundely statue dedication. What a lackluster performance for such a great athlete. If you're going to show up... put on a "show"!
no it's piss poor work by Shane Lyons. Out of touch with college football like several of you guys who think it was a good idea to, 1.) implement a failure policy to offer only year to year contracts to assistant coaches, 2.) break off contract negotiations with Dana who is actually producing above his pay scale (8th highest salary in big 12 and averages 4-5th place in conference). It hurts your program. To think otherwise is foolish as its already cost us an assistant coach in Brian Mitchell. It hurts recruiting. Kids and their parents want to know the coach will be there with the kids who sign to play here. Instead, Lyons fumbles the ball here and thinks it's wise to head into the upcoming season and recruiting cycle with a lame duck coach. Not smart. So what if he's a Parkersburg boy who fetched coffee at Alabama. We should expect better. He's no Oliver luck. If he was smart, he would either fire Dana or extend Dana. Afterall, he's supposed to be looking out for the program's best interests. He failed.

How do you know what actually happened? How do you know Shane Lyons didn't offer DH something? The mod already called you out on your BS. Shane Lyons gets paid to make the determination on whether a coach is meeting the threshold of success you don't. Lyons is the one holding the cards in contract negotiations based on DH performance in the last 4 years. The Blue Bloods aren't kicking down the door looking for DH.

You probably haven't a clue as to how well Lyons is doing in his job But maybe DH should hire you as his agent. You could tell Lyons in contract negotiations about your black belt and how you took care of Allah Akbar in Atlanta. Im sure Lyons knees would buckle and he would give DH that golden parachute that Luck gave him

I watched the Sugar Bowl victory against SEC champ Georgia last night. Even playing in Atlanta, the Mountaineers kicked their asses. They finished the season ranked in the top 5 with one loss. I do not believe any of the players or recruits gave a second thought to how long any of the coaches' contracts were. Winning solves damn near everything, but you've got to win.

I can't wait to read what Vernon comes out with tomorrow. I have a feeling it will open some eyes.

I suspect that the so so results generated by DH and his twin inability to 1. attract and keep quality assistants; 2. recruit and/or keep top level QB recruits does more recruiting harm than not extending his contract does. If the contract extension red herring was true then no coach would ever be fired...would always extend to not hurt recruiting. Get real.Lyons needs to keep playing hard ball with clueless.

How do you know what actually happened? How do you know Shane Lyons didn't offer DH something? The mod already called you out on your BS. Shane Lyons gets paid to make the determination on whether a coach is meeting the threshold of success you don't. Lyons is the one holding the cards in contract negotiations based on DH performance in the last 4 years. The Blue Bloods aren't kicking down the door looking for DH.
i never got those facts as promised by the mod to refute me either. Did I? I'm sure any info relayed to him from the AD office will be some kind of PR spin to save face. We have the truth already with Brian Mitchell leaving abruptly.

i never got those facts as promised by the mod to refute me either. Did I? I'm sure any info relayed to him from the AD office will be some kind of PR spin to save face. We have the truth already with Brian Mitchell leaving abruptly.

Last I checked he said he was going to give you the scoop on Monday. Shane Lyons will do what he feels is best and he holds the aces. If DH wants a better deal then he will have his opportunity to prove his worth in 2016 with a favorable home schedule.

Shane Lyons is from the SEC and as such when he took the WVU he has one thing he wants is a championship. Yes, I know I am a LSU fan speaking up for a BAMA man, Dana has to prove himself and for my view I say good call by Shane not to give and more time to Dana. You guys have a smart AD get behind him, this guys will have WVU at the top just give him a chance. I think Bama should tell you Lyons is no nonsense type AD.

I think if it weren't for Dana's contract terms, he would have been fired after the KSU game. That's a ton of money still on the table. After this season, all bets are off. The number becomes more manageable.

Personally, I would be doing exactly what Lyons' doing. Make him sweat. Every coach he runs into knows he is on a lava-hot seat and essentially a dead-man-walking. If he wants out of that scenario, he can surrender the termination fee and we could get a 3 year extension done (no buy-out either way) done tomorrow.

I don't know how good a job Lyons' doing, and likely no one else does either. Ask me a year from now and I'll give you a real answer.

You're right. WVU should just go ahead and lock themselves in to a longterm contract that may end up costing the university millions if he falls flat on his face. Of course, on the other side of it, he could have a really successful year next year and walk away. But, if he does and stays, then his potential contract would be a lot higher
I think if it weren't for Dana's contract terms, he would have been fired after the KSU game. That's a ton of money still on the table. After this season, all bets are off. The number becomes more manageable.

Personally, I would be doing exactly what Lyons' doing. Make him sweat. Every coach he runs into knows he is on a lava-hot seat and essentially a dead-man-walking. If he wants out of that scenario, he can surrender the termination fee and we could get a 3 year extension done (no buy-out either way) done tomorrow.

I don't know how good a job Lyons' doing, and likely no one else does either. Ask me a year from now and I'll give you a real answer.

And why would he leave money on the table? Simply to fix perception?

You've been obsessed with working around his buy-out. You just don't get it.

And why would he leave money on the table? Simply to fix perception?

You've been obsessed with working around his buy-out. You just don't get it.

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. And before you ask....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...ct-extension-through-2019-20150630-story.html

The 2 scenarios I've mentioned and backed up with precedents of being done (and successfully so) are simply cases where you find a new angle to an old problem.

BTW...if you don't think WVU's counsel hasn't looked at these 2 angles and about 8 others then you don't get it at all.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...ct-extension-through-2019-20150630-story.html

The 2 scenarios I've mentioned and backed up with precedents of being done (and successfully so) are simply cases where you find a new angle to an old problem.

BTW...if you don't think WVU's counsel hasn't looked at these 2 angles and about 8 others then you don't get it at all.

Didn't work out very well for Edsell, huh?

He must have thought his administration actually supported him. Do you think DH feels the same about Lyons, a guy who didn't hire him?

I wouldn't be surprised if WVU tried to bargain his buy-out, I'm just saying DH would be stupid for doing it (RE: Edsell).

So I'll ask again, why would he leave money owed on the table?

Last edited:

" signing Randy Edsall to a three-year contract extension, Maryland gave its football coach the job security he needed to recruit and protected itself in case the Terps take a step backward in the Big Ten Conference’s rapidly-improving East Division"

How did that job security go? Shit canned halfway through the season 3 months after the extension, lol.

" signing Randy Edsall to a three-year contract extension, Maryland gave its football coach the job security he needed to recruit and protected itself in case the Terps take a step backward in the Big Ten Conference’s rapidly-improving East Division"

How did that job security go? Shit canned halfway through the season 3 months after the extension, lol.

His current contract provides more financial security than a new extension would, after negotiation.

Next year, if he has a good season both parties have a natural starting point to negotiate from, but they don't have that now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT