ADVERTISEMENT

Is Neal Brown a Rich Rodriquez 2.0?

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Checking Neal Brown’s career coaching record I found some impressive numbers.

7-year career at major schools: 46-27 for 63% winning percentage.

Here’s a better one: Bowl record, PERFECT. He won ALL FOUR bowl games!

After a 4-8 start at Troy he went 10-3, 11-2, 10-3, reminiscent of Rich’s seasons at WVU.

5-7 and 6-4 at WVU so far for .500, just like Rich.

If he can match Rich’s 8-5, 8-4, 11-1, 11-2 and 10-2 for the next 5 seasons we’ll all be in Almost Heaven, including me.

Brown paid his dues, as most coaches do, as an assistant – offensive coordinator at Troy, Texas Tech and Kentucky so he has experience against Big 12 team.

Keep matching Rich, Neal, and WVU fans, including me, will love you more and more.

Neal Brown is at .500 at WVU --all that matters

Overall Bowls
Rk Coach From To Yrs G W L T Pct G W L T Pct Notes

18 Neal Brown 2019 2021 3 22 11 11 0 .500 1 1 0 0 1.000

If I am a "clown" for posting the truth, what are you? All you do is post garbage attacks on other poster, coaches you dont like and troll damn near every poster, when you arent spewing nazi propoganda.
Waiting for proof buckycfe.

WVU beats FSU and Maryland but lose to OU and wins a bowl to finish 8-5.

Let me know if you ever decide to grow up.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Considering WVU played 3 less games, and those games were likely to be losses: FSU, Oklahoma among them, no its not an improvement.
But yet you harp on him winning only five games,,,which it was six....playing three less games that he could have won.....right?

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Checking Neal Brown’s career coaching record I found some impressive numbers.

7-year career at major schools: 46-27 for 63% winning percentage.

Here’s a better one: Bowl record, PERFECT. He won ALL FOUR bowl games!

After a 4-8 start at Troy he went 10-3, 11-2, 10-3, reminiscent of Rich’s seasons at WVU.

5-7 and 6-4 at WVU so far for .500, just like Rich.

If he can match Rich’s 8-5, 8-4, 11-1, 11-2 and 10-2 for the next 5 seasons we’ll all be in Almost Heaven, including me.

Brown paid his dues, as most coaches do, as an assistant – offensive coordinator at Troy, Texas Tech and Kentucky so he has experience against Big 12 team.

Keep matching Rich, Neal, and WVU fans, including me, will love you more and more.
But don't match RR'S P5 record, please.

Reactions: Eerwax
WHAT'S A P5 RECORD? AT 88 INITIALS AND ANAGRAMS SLIDE OVER MY HEAD.
Every thing slides over your head.

Rod overall P5 record 118-83
With Pat White 32-5
Without Pat White overall 86-78

At WVU without Pat White
28-21....

Numbers don't lie as CFE claims. Rod was average to below average without Pat White at QB.

Reactions: Rootmaster
P5 stands for playoff 5 aka SEC, BIG 10, BIG 12, PAC 12, ACC.

Considering WVU played 3 less games, and those games were likely to be losses: FSU, Oklahoma among them, no its not an improvement.
It could all change this year, but last year Maryland and FSU both were pathetic. How do you count them as likely losses as a WVU fan? I looked it up for you, FSU 3-6, Maryland 2-3. Curious.

Reactions: Euell
It could all change this year, but last year Maryland and FSU both were pathetic. How do you count them as likely losses as a WVU fan? I looked it up for you, FSU 3-6, Maryland 2-3. Curious.

PIGGYBACKING ON MWBR: MARYLAND HASN'T HAD A WINNING SEASON SINCE 2014 AND HASN'T HAD DOUBLE-DIGIT W's SINCE 2003. FLORIDA STATE HAS HAD 3 STRAIGHT LOSING SEASON. DOESN'T ANYONE CHECK THE FACTS BEFORE THEY POST OPINIONS? MICHAEL WALKER DID AND IT PROBABLY TOOK HIM 6 MINUTES TO FIND IT. IT TOOK ME ABOUT THAT LONG TO FIND WHAT I JUST POSTED. STOP SHOWING YOUR IGNORANCE.

Last edited:
Last year was an odd year- but Maryland usually starts out strong— they beat Penn State 35-19 at PSU. Their losses were to 3 of the best B10 squads including the top 2 eastern squads Ohio State and Indiana and the top western squad Northwestern.

FSU was down during the odd Covid year as well. 3 games canceled, yet they managed to beat North Carolina- one of the better teams in that conference scoring 31 pts in the process.

Neal Brown scored 31 pts 3 times last year- vs the bad Kansas schools and an fcs. They couldnt muster 31 pts against Army in a bowl. Browns team only defeated an fcs, Kansas, K State, 2-7 Baylor in OT, TCU and barely in a comeback over G5 Army.

of the schools he beat, only TCU and Army had winning records- Armies vs a G5 schedule and TCU was just 6-4. Brown was blown out in the losses except for Texas.

How can you claim Brown would have beaten either of those squads?

Last edited:
PIGGYBACKING ON MWBR: MARYLAND HASN'T HAD A WINNING SEASON SINCE 2014 AND HASN'T HAD DOUBLE-DIGIT W's SINCE 2003. FLORIDA STATE HAS HAD 3 STRAIGHT LOSING SEASON. DOESN'T ANYONE CHECK THE FACTS BEFORE THEY POST OPINIONS? MICHAEL WALKER DID AND IT PROBABLY TOOK HIM 6 MINUTES TO FIND IT. IT TOOK BE ABOUT THAT LONG TO FIND WHAT I JUST POSTED. STOP SHOWING YOUR IGNORANCE.
See above- nothing Brown accomplished last year indicates he couldve beaten either covid stricken UMD or FSU

Rather obvious that Bucky is not a WVU fan. It distresses him every time HCNB leads the Mountaineers to victory. It doesn't fit his agenda.

Rather obvious Euell is a troll. Instead of talking about the facts of the matter trying to attack the messenger--a typical troll tactic.

What distresses me is watching WVU lose so many games over a two year period. Even with a reduced schedule Brown could only produce 5 wins and eke out a win over a G5 program.

An honest WVU fan will look at this years schedule and see the same coming again.

Last edited:
Rather obvious Euell is a troll. Instead of talking about the facts of the matter trying to attack the messenger--a typical troll tactic.

What distresses me is watching WVU loses so many games over a two year period. Even with a reduced schedule Brown could only produce 5 wins and eke out a win over a G5 program.

An honest WVU fan will look at this years schedule and see the same coming again.
You should leave then pack your bags and go to Houston fake WVU fan. Brown will soon make you hide in a corner or create another profile.

Reactions: Euell

What distresses me is watching WVU loses so many games over a two year period. Even with a reduced schedule Brown could only produce 5 wins and eke out a win over a G5 program.

AN HONEST WVU FAN WILL ADMIT THAT HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW THE SEASON WILL TURN OUT. THOSE WHO SAY THEY DO ARE DELUSIONAL. WOULD YOU PUT DOWN $1,000 TO PAY FOR EVERY GAME WVU WINS AND COLLECT $1,000 FOR EVERY GAME WVU LOSES? PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOU MOUTH IS?

This is true, but it wasn't too long ago that Maryland whipped Texas in back-to-back seasons, and the Terps have Tua's brother behind center, so the game vs. Maryland might not be a layup.

Last year was an odd year- but Maryland usually starts out strong— they beat Penn State 35-19 at PSU. Their losses were to 3 of the best B10 squads including the top 2 eastern squads Ohio State and Indiana and the top western squad Northwestern.

FSU was down during the odd Covid year as well. 3 games canceled, yet they managed to beat North Carolina- one of the better teams in that conference scoring 31 prs in the process.

Neal Brown scored 31 pts 3 times last year- vs the bad Kansas schools and an fcs. They couldnt muster 31 pts against Army in a bowl. Browns team only defeated an fcs, Kansas, K State, 2-7 Baylor in OT, TCU and barely in a comeback over G5 Army.

of the schools he beat, only TCU and Army had winning records- Armies vs a G5 schedule and TCU was just 6-4. Brown was blown out in the losses except for Texas.

FSU HAD LOSSES TO
Georgia Tech 3-7
Louisville 4-7
Pitt 6-5

3 horrible losses

Maryland
Blown out by Northwestern 43-3
Beat a 3-4 Minnesota in OT
A 4-5 PSU
Lost to a 3-6 Rutgers in OT

Take you BS and roll out of town.

No game
This is true, but it wasn't too long ago that Maryland whipped Texas in back-to-back seasons, and the Terps have Tua's brother behind center, so the game vs. Maryland might not be a layup.
No game is automatic especially rival games. I would say Maryland being first game with questions for both teams is a stay away from game. Tua bother is no Tua. If he was he wouldn't be at Maryland. Different coaches when Mary whipped Texas.

If we're being honest I'm not sure any see three straight 11 win seasons, rising to #1 nationally, staying in the top 10 three seasons in a row, winning a Sugar, Gator, & Fiesta bowl, & beating the Sec & BXII champs on the horizon. I don't buy the conference excuses, those teams proved themselves & could & did beat any. We had All American, Sports Illustrated cover quality, record setting star power at skill positions, no need to pretend those guys couldn't play. Rod changed football in inventing that offense & we were the benefactors.

It's not fair to hope to compare Brown to the winning that was done. Not yet & probably not ever. The standard is much lower now, some will be etching Brown's place in history if he achieves half of what Rodriguez did. For instance, WV just signed him to a multi year extension for going 5-7 & 6-4 in a season that we escaped OU who would've come in & put a hurting down. Recall at one time Rodriguez turned down Alabama to remain here. I hope Brown delivers a winning program but it's an apples & oranges comparison.

ALLEN:

Maryland's 2021 recruiting class is No. 19 in the Country, and includes a five-star recruit. I don't think that Locksley is a great head coach, but he can recruit pretty well. As for Tua's brother, you are underestimating him. He's inconsistent, but when he's good, he's really good, and here are a couple of examples of his better games last season:

"The 5-foot-11, 205-pound Tagovailoa threw for seven touchdowns and 1,011 yards while hitting 61.5 percent of his throws. He completed 26 of 35 of his passes for 394 yards and three touchdowns during a 45-44 win against Minnesota. He hit on 18 of his 26 passes for 282 yards and another three touchdowns in a 35-19 win against Penn State a week later."

ALLEN:

Maryland's 2021 recruiting class is No. 19 in the Country, and includes a five-star recruit. I don't think that Locksley is a great head coach, but he can recruit pretty well. As for Tua's brother, you are underestimating him. He's inconsistent, but when he's good, he's really good, and here are a couple of examples of his better games last season:

"The 5-foot-11, 205-pound Tagovailoa threw for seven touchdowns and 1,011 yards while hitting 61.5 percent of his throws. He completed 26 of 35 of his passes for 394 yards and three touchdowns during a 45-44 win against Minnesota. He hit on 18 of his 26 passes for 282 yards and another three touchdowns in a 35-19 win against Penn State a week later."

Mike Locksly 8-43 total 6-17 Maryland.
You forgot Taulia Tagovailoa 7 Interceptions in 5 only games.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
ALLEN:

Mike Locksley is a bum coach. The guy was a failure at New Mexico. Maryland is going to pay the price as will Texas for hiring a wash out off of Sabans staff.

AN HONEST WVU FAN WILL ADMIT THAT HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW THE SEASON WILL TURN OUT. THOSE WHO SAY THEY DO ARE DELUSIONAL. WOULD YOU PUT DOWN $1,000 TO PAY FOR EVERY GAME WVU WINS AND COLLECT $1,000 FOR EVERY GAME WVU LOSES? PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOU MOUTH IS?
I gave my opinion based on evidence, you have your opinion.

I don't gamble anyway and I certainly am not betting on a coach that has produced two five win seasons at WVU.

But, I will keep discussing the facts of the situation at WVU.

Some pundits already have the game as an L for WVU.

ALLEN: Google the word, "inconsistent," then get back to me, Pops. I didn't forget anything; your reading comprehension is terrible. Your overconfidence against the Twerps is duly noted. You would think that WVU won all of its road games last season. Respect the turtle, especially when you're on the Road.

Last edited:

Maryland could be significantly better this year, as could Texas and FSU, but we will not know until a few games are played and it's the same with WVU. The NFL tends to have mostly continuity because they retain most of their team year to year. Losing or gaining a franchise player is the most likely sign of change as well as the Head Coach.

As you know college teams are different. It used to be a very talented recruiting class would give a team a good 4 year run and then it's reset time. Now with graduation, early NFL temptations and unlimited transfers things are certainly changing. Some of the truest of 'bluebloods' are scrambling to maintain their dominance.

Even Clemson is feeling the effects as shown last season. After skating through a fairly light ACC schedule except for a split with Notre Dame, they get hit with a 3 TD total smackdown by Ohio State who then lost by 4 TDs to Alabama.

A very special QB and pretty good supporting class can carry college teams very well, but keeping the team together four years is now very hard. Some of your best backups will leave for perceived playing time at another school.

We can rationalize, speculate, and pontificate but there are going to be more and more unexpected surprises both ways. WVU should be better this season, but you might be as well off to flip a coin once the ball is kicked off. If anyone can pick their wins and losses for this season at this point they might want to consider playing the lottery because lady luck is on their side.

Reactions: WVUALLEN

FSU was down during the odd Covid year as well. 3 games canceled, yet they managed to beat North Carolina- one of the better teams in that conference scoring 31 pts in the process.

YOU POINT OUT THE MAJOR FLAW IN THE BIG 10 AND ALL NON-BIG 12 CONFERENCES. THE RECORD DEPENDS AS MUCH ON WHO YOU DO NOT PLAY AS WHO YOU DO PLAY. IN THE BIG 12 EVERYONE PLAYS EVERYONE. MUCH FAIRER. OUTCOME NOT DEBATABLE. TOO BAD REST OF COUNTRY DIDN'T ADOPT BIG 12 TEMPLATE. MORE TEAMS IS NOT AS BETTER CONFERENCE. NOT EVEN MORE MONEY PER SCHOOL IN SOME CASES.

Maryland could be significantly better this year, as could Texas and FSU, but we will not know until a few games are played and it's the same with WVU. The NFL tends to have mostly continuity because they retain most of their team year to year. Losing or gaining a franchise player is the most likely sign of change as well as the Head Coach.

As you know college teams are different. It used to be a very talented recruiting class would give a team a good 4 year run and then it's reset time. Now with graduation, early NFL temptations and unlimited transfers things are certainly changing. Some of the truest of 'bluebloods' are scrambling to maintain their dominance.

Even Clemson is feeling the effects as shown last season. After skating through a fairly light ACC schedule except for a split with Notre Dame, they get hit with a 3 TD total smackdown by Ohio State who then lost by 4 TDs to Alabama.

A very special QB and pretty good supporting class can carry college teams very well, but keeping the team together four years is now very hard. Some of your best backups will leave for perceived playing time at another school.

We can rationalize, speculate, and pontificate but there are going to be more and more unexpected surprises both ways. WVU should be better this season, but you might be as well off to flip a coin once the ball is kicked off. If anyone can pick their wins and losses for this season at this point they might want to consider playing the lottery because lady luck is on their side.

YOU ARE ECHOING MY POSTS. NO ONE, INCLUDING ME, KNOWS WHERE WVU WILL LAND IN ANY SEASON FROM 12-0 TO 0-12. MONKEYS THROWING DARTS AT NUMBERS ON A BOARD CAN BE AS ACCURATE. JUST WAIT TILL THEY PLAY, ENJOY THE VICTORIES, TOLERATE THE LOSSES. WVU SPORTS IS THE GREATEST NON-FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT IN MY LIFE TODAY.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT