ADVERTISEMENT

Impressions of Trae Young

eerdoc

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
People throughout the Country have gushed about his greatness ao I will not dwell on the positives I noted.
There are, to me, numerous and very significant negatives:
He (and many others on the OU team) push off on many if not nearly all of their drives. Watch his 'off hand'. It is constantly swatting at the defender. He makes a lot of additional contact of various types throughout the game. wasn't called tonight, but if it starts being called, he is going to see much more bench time that time participating in the game.
His shots are more like 'throws' toward the basket. And his % made was not very impressive tonight. Typical? I don't know since I don't watch their games routinely. He seems to heave the ball from an off balance stance rather that exercise good shooting technique.
He is scoring points. However, he does so through very good vision and good estimation of distances. He throws the ball in the general direction of the rim and is fortunate that it generally goes to near the point of desired approach. He had a couple air balls also and saw a couple balls go in after surprisingly hitting the back board. He is not what I would refer to as a 'good shooter' .
He seems to be a player who may still get 25 or more points but only shooting 25% to 35% from the field.
Supposedly he was shooting well over 85% from the foul line coming into this game.He missed at least 4 tonight.
I saw decent passing skills but not to the degree that I believe he will be a consistent assist leader. Will be interesting (if he returns for another year) to see how he and McCabe compare next year. I am much more impressed with our incoming freshman and his polish as both a shooter/scorer and floor leader/assist man.

West Virgina won a tough game at home but there is no elite team in the Big XII.
Didn't OU lose to the Piggies in Portland.
The Piggies are good but not great

Winning at K State and Stillwater doesn't prove anything yet.

Still think West Virginia will lose a few games in the next 3 weeks.
If WVU can win in Lubbock than I will be impressed.
Bill Self is still light years above Bob Huggins in coaching IMO.

West Virgina won a tough game at home but there is no elite team in the Big XII.

And why is Bill Self better? Because he wins a lot at Kansas? Please. Put Huggins at any blueblood school recruiting 5 star players, and he wins several NC’s.

And why is Bill Self better? Because he wins a lot at Kansas? Please. Put Huggins at any blueblood school recruiting 5 star players, and he wins several NC’s.

Bill Self took Tulsa to the Elite 8.
Recruited the players at Illinois that made them the best team in College Basketball in 2004-05.
Self would have won the NC with Deron Williams, Luther Head and Dee Brown.
That team was maybe the only team the last 20 years that could have went undefeated. Better than Kentucky in 2014-15

Self has coached in this league for over 10 years and had adjusted to every team in the league.
There are elite coaches and Great coaches like there are great teams and elite teams.

Self is an Elite coach.

Last edited:
Recruited the players at Illinois that made them the best team in College Basketball in 2004-05.
That team was maybe the only team the last 20 years that could have went undefeated. Better than Kentucky in 2014-15

Self has coached in this league for over 10 years and had adjusted to every team in the league.
There are elite coaches and Great coaches like there are great teams and elite teams.

Self is an Elite coach.
still doesn’t prove he’s better than Huggins. It’s just your opinion

Reactions: Phil

Self is an Elite coach.
What’s Bill Self’s record with all those Kansas 5 star recruits versus Bobby Huggins WVU teams?

People throughout the Country have gushed about his greatness ao I will not dwell on the positives I noted.
He (and many others on the OU team) push off on many if not nearly all of their drives. Watch his 'off hand'. It is constantly swatting at the defender. He makes a lot of additional contact of various types throughout the game. wasn't called tonight, but if it starts being called, he is going to see much more bench time that time participating in the game.
His shots are more like 'throws' toward the basket. And his % made was not very impressive tonight. Typical? I don't know since I don't watch their games routinely. He seems to heave the ball from an off balance stance rather that exercise good shooting technique.
He is scoring points. However, he does so through very good vision and good estimation of distances. He throws the ball in the general direction of the rim and is fortunate that it generally goes to near the point of desired approach. He had a couple air balls also and saw a couple balls go in after surprisingly hitting the back board. He is not what I would refer to as a 'good shooter' .
He seems to be a player who may still get 25 or more points but only shooting 25% to 35% from the field.
Supposedly he was shooting well over 85% from the foul line coming into this game.He missed at least 4 tonight.
I saw decent passing skills but not to the degree that I believe he will be a consistent assist leader. Will be interesting (if he returns for another year) to see how he and McCabe compare next year. I am much more impressed with our incoming freshman and his polish as both a shooter/scorer and floor leader/assist man.

Unfortunately the thread was hijacked into a discussion of Self and Huggs.
ors anyone wish to continue the original regarding the 'so called' freshman phenom? Really desire to hear the opinions of others regarding him.

ors anyone wish to continue the original regarding the 'so called' freshman phenom? Really desire to hear the opinions of others regarding him.
What is funny is UT fans talking shit in basketball. There was another "Freshman Phenom" on the floor last night who is averaging 20 a game in B12 play.

Reactions: LHANDSDC

I have to chuckle at the OU fans that say WVU got away with murder on defense - they see it through their rose-colored glasses. Young pushed off on almost every drive to the bucket and never got called for it. He should have had at least three fouls before halftime.

As for the rest of his play, he has great court vision and passes the ball extremely well, but takes too many shots from the outside that aren't just ill-advised they cost his team valuable possessions.

Personally, he looked like a player that was all about me, a one-and-doner that has serious talent, but is more worried about getting mine than he is about the team.

After his basketball playing days are over, he probably will have a hell of an acting career. Seriously could you flop and cry anymore?

Reactions: Motown Mounty

I hope you are only expressing an opinion. If you're trying to come across as some kind of expert, your FOS.

Reactions: Motown Mounty
I have to chuckle at the OU fans that say WVU got away with murder on defense - they see it through their rose-colored glasses. Young pushed off on almost every drive to the bucket and never got called for it. He should have had at least three fouls before halftime.

As for the rest of his play, he has great court vision and passes the ball extremely well, but takes too many shots from the outside that aren't just ill-advised they cost his team valuable possessions.

Personally, he looked like a player that was all about me, a one-and-doner that has serious talent, but is more worried about getting mine than he is about the team.

After his basketball playing days are over, he probably will have a hell of an acting career. Seriously could you flop and cry anymore?

^^^^there are a few FIFA teams reaching out to him after that game^^^^

saw Talley several times, most memorably in Morgantown - first Salem procession, he crossed mid-court and shot - but he missed

Carter also shut down Juwan Evans who is now starting in the NBA due to injuries. I wouldn't call Young overrated, we just have a way of making great players look average with out style of defense and the best defender in the nation.

Also you say he missed at least 4 free throws but he was actually 10-13 from the line.

Reactions: eerdoc

I would have liked to see him earn a few of those calls he received last night. I think he’s got the potential to be a very solid player (not great), he’ll need some more seasoning before he can reach his potential. If he comes out after this year, it’ll be a huge mistake.

Self is an Elite coach.

And Huggins took WVU to a Big East Championship, and a Final Four.........that trumps a Tulsa to the Elite 8 any day of the week..........

I would have liked to see him earn a few of those calls he received last night. I think he’s got the potential to be a very solid player (not great), he’ll need some more seasoning before he can reach his potential. If he comes out after this year, it’ll be a huge mistake.

This isn't the NFL where staying a year can help a lot. Most draft experts have Young as a top 3 pick so him staying another year wont really help much.

All I saw was a spoiled crybaby, that seemed to have his father as one of the refs. I'd take Carter any day of the week. If he stops getting the rediculosly favorable whistle he's average.

Young scores his points but he also takes his fair share of shots. I don't think he is capable of 'taking over' a game. Mr. Carter can 'take over' a game! Warez

OU fans were crying about "hand checks", but Young pushes off whenever he drives. It is what it is. OU lost so they had to cry about how WVU "grabs and holds". WVU outplayed OU from start to finish and we led almost the entire game. We have a balanced team- they rely on one, one and done, player who is going to leave in May.

cutrthtnl848qsdofy4v

m96xyegxuywhuretmgye

Acting Job: (I give him credit, he's a great actor and gets some phantom calls)--
wheyezybnxzsd1nnprv7

Reactions: JediMastEER
I personally loved how he got the foul called on Bolden when he stripped the ball from behind Young going in the lane.......as clean of a steal as you'll see......but just before that Krueger and Young were both politicking for calls.

I personally loved how he got the foul called on Bolden when he stripped the ball from behind Young going in the lane.......as clean of a steal as you'll see......but just before that Krueger and Young were both politicking for calls.

The issue:

Bolden swiped down. Refs are going to call that

If he swipes up, it’s not called

The issue:

Keaton...............I understand what you are talking about but.......are the refs following the written rules of basketball as they make the 'swipe down' vs. 'swipe up' foul call? Just curious. Warez

The issue:

Carter swipes down quite often without getting called. The difference is the defensive player of the year usually gets the benefit of the doubt unlike Bolden.

Comparing Bill Self to Bob Huggins is difficult. The former is the better recruiter, but the latter is the better bench coach.

Swiping down from behind a ball handler is almost always going to be a foul
If there is no contact to the opposing player then who or what has been 'fouled'? I thought the word signified an act against another player. To call a foul against an action is, what I refer to as, 'I think so' fouls. Lazy official, anticipating and making a bad decision without benefit of fact that an infraction has occurred. Then there are the blatant push off with the 'off' arm to keep the defender at bay. This is a contact and should be a foul by the dribbler against the defender. Surely was not called a host of times last night with many of the infractions performed in plain, obvious view of the officials.
So, call swipes that make no contact but ignore stiff arms that impede the actions of the defender. Wow, is this not the definition of inept officiating?

Last edited:
Carter also shut down Juwan Evans who is now starting in the NBA due to injuries. I wouldn't call Young overrated, we just have a way of making great players look average with out style of defense and the best defender in the nation.

Also you say he missed at least 4 free throws but he was actually 10-13 from the line.
After I wrote this I remembered that ONE of his missed free throws was voided because of the lane infraction by West. He got a repeat throw and made it. So, in official records, he only missed 3 but, in reality, he missed a 4th.

If Young keeps pushing off like that he might not last through a game where the opposing coach has a a couple of expendable bigs. Sucker him into thinking he's got a lane to the basket and give him a forearm to the face to launch him into the cheap seats when he drives. John Chaney probably watches Young and screams, "Send in the goons!"

If his eyes aren't swelled shut from the pounding, he might be fit to pass the ball, but he won't be driving or pushing off after the "cure"

He's a one and done. He was a little off his game last name due being a freshman, all of them play better at home than on the road. It will be interesting to see if he can keep his numbers up as the season drags on. Longer games and longer seasons cause fresh out of HS legs to go late in the season.

After I wrote this I remembered that ONE of his missed free throws was voided because of the lane infraction by West. He got a repeat throw and made it. So, in official records, he only missed 3 but, in reality, he missed a 4th.

Another phantom call as well as the foul that put him on the line in the first place.

Comparing Bill Self to Bob Huggins is difficult. The former is the better recruiter, but the latter is the better bench coach.
Imo both are excellent coaches. We’re both lucky to have them. I was just saying it’s foolish to say Self is “light years better” than Huggins. No evidence supports that.

OU fans were crying about "hand checks", but Young pushes off whenever he drives. It is what it is. OU lost so they had to cry about how WVU "grabs and holds". WVU outplayed OU from start to finish and we led almost the entire game. We have a balanced team- they rely on one, one and done, player who is going to leave in May.

cutrthtnl848qsdofy4v

m96xyegxuywhuretmgye

Acting Job: (I give him credit, he's a great actor and gets some phantom calls)--
wheyezybnxzsd1nnprv7
GREAT shots emphasizing the point I was making. He (and some others on OU team) used this same push off move over and over and over and over and never got it called. Only pray that some day some official chooses to make the call. Young lasts less than 10 minutes.

He is quick, has good court vision, a butt ugly three point shot that goes in sometimes, he is a whiner, spells team with an I, pushes off, doesn't play defense and won't be around long, plus I think Moe pulled out a big patch of hair out on top of his head.

Reactions: Die HardEER
The issue:

Absolutely NOT true. Jevon Carter swipes down all the time and the majority of the time gets the ball clean but he commits a number of fouls and he fortunately gets the benefit of the doubt. A lot of referees make that call and the majority of the time no foul is committed as the official seems to always be trailing and does not have a clear look at the play. Drives me crazy but saying swiping up or down gets you a pass is simply not true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT