ADVERTISEMENT

I'm buying.....Terry Bowden quality coach

And how many teams with this attitude have a true "winning" attitude? Yeah.....zero......

LOL - The teams motivation isn't influenced by our opinions or observations.

Just like when fans say, "I'm focused on this week, I don't want to look ahead". It doesn't matter. You haven't stepped on a football field in decades and the last time you wore a helmet you were probably 40 pounds lighter.

You'd be better off focusing that "winning attitude" in your personal and professional life.

So a fan says, "We're in a big boy league now", and Howard won't throw the ball accurately this weekend because of it? LOL, you guys crack me up.

He's not a happy camper, Darth.

Do you or don't you more about football than Sam Huff, MountaineerWV? It's a simple question. "Yes" or "no" will suffice.

He's not a happy camper, Darth.

Do you or don't you more about football than Sam Huff, MountaineerWV? It's a simple question. "Yes" or "no" will suffice.

Well, according to Darth's reply, Huff's comment is worthless as well. [thumbsup]

And excuses are for losers. I won't apologize either. He was too big, too fast.....:mad:......if you win, move on to the next week. If you lose, focus back up and go back to the drawing board. You won't win them all, but by putting it out there ahead of a game that you "might" lose won't help you either.

But what do I know.......;)

Well, according to Darth's reply, Huff's comment is worthless as well. [thumbsup]

And excuses are for losers. I won't apologize either. He was too big, too fast.....:mad:......if you win, move on to the next week. If you lose, focus back up and go back to the drawing board. You won't win them all, but by putting it out there ahead of a game that you "might" lose won't help you either.

But what do I know.......;)

Sams opinion is educated and he's not pretending that it influences the outcome of the game.

Fans don't play the game. What is it you don't understand about that?

I don't see the players making excuses, so what's your point?

Last edited:
Sams opinion is educated and he's not pretending that it influences the outcome of the game.

I've never understood how people correlate fans' opinions to the outcome of games. The last time I checked if a fan runs out on the field during the game, he's going to get hammered by cops & taken to jail. Fans don't play the games.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA

Where have I said that my "fanhood" factors in to the outcome of games? I'm simply saying that in the past we have heard from people about how WVU is now in a "big boy league"....coaches, players, athletic department......

My opinion is just that....my opinion. If you choose not to agree with it, then forgive me for not being heart broken or giving a rats ass about that. I won't back off of my stance......excuses are for losers.

Where have I said that my "fanhood" factors in to the outcome of games? I'm simply saying that in the past we have heard from people about how WVU is now in a "big boy league"....coaches, players, athletic department......

My opinion is just that....my opinion. If you choose not to agree with it, then forgive me for not being heart broken or giving a rats ass about that. I won't back off of my stance......excuses are for losers.

So you're implying that our players, coaches, athletic staff, and university staff are losers?

I doubt you apply these same standards in your personal life. We all know who the loser is in this discussion, and it's no one at WVU.

You're a perfect example of a t-shirt fan, and nothing more.

So you're implying that our players, coaches, athletic staff, and university staff are losers?

I doubt you apply these same standards in your personal life. We all know who the loser is in this discussion, and it's no one at WVU.

You're a perfect example of a t-shirt fan, and nothing more.

Typical response.....the "t-shirt fan" reply.....[pfftt]

And I never called anyone a loser.....except if there are people that claim we lose ONLY because we are in a "big boy league"......

Typical response.....the "t-shirt fan" reply.....[pfftt]

And I never called anyone a loser.....except if there are people that claim we lose ONLY because we are in a "big boy league"......

Some people live in the real world and others don't. If you think the schedule we play doesn't have an affect on our yearly success, that's your prerogative and I'm smart enough to know you're too dumb to be convinced otherwise.

You're a miserable old fart and the truest example of a t-shirt fan I've encountered.

You say excuses are for losers, then say our coaches, players and staff make excuses. So don't try backpedaling.

7 wins on our schedules now is still more impressive that 9-10 on those powder soft Big east schedules

These days we only play Kansas once a year

Then, it used to be 3-4 games on our schedule

Reactions: chardenwvu42209
It is funny to watch the ole sports "expert" get contextual with Bowden's record at Akron.......... but when actual situational awareness or context is introduced into examining Dana Holgorsen, he spouts off about "just excuses" and "the facts are the facts"

Well, the facts say Bowden has a winning percentage at Akron of 39%.................

Let’s look at the “factual” record:

Lee Owens won 39.6% of Akron’s games in his 9 seasons (1995-2003).

J.D. Brookhart won 41.6% of Akron’s games in his 6 seasons (2004-2009).

Rob Ianello won 8.3% (!) of Akron’s games in his 2 seasons (2010-2011).

That is a 36.5% winning percentage in the 17 previous seasons before Terry took over. He has exceeded that, even with the 1-11 anchor of his first season when it was almost 2012 before he got the job. Since, he has won 50% of Akron's games. 50% !!!

Terry went 1-11 in his first season with only 25% of his recruits on the team. It was almost New Year’s Eve and 2012 before he got the job, so his recruiting time was greatly limited for even his first recruiting class. We all know that all the other college coaches had a 6-month head recruiting start on Terry, at least!

By 2013 Akron came within 4 points of beating Michigan, down to an incomplete pass from the Michigan THREE-yard line on the final play of the game that would have ranked alongside Appalachian State's remarkable achievement.

Akron snapped the nation’s longest road losing streak (28 games) against Miami of Ohio in 2013, when the Zips went 5-7.

In the past 3 years plus 3 games in 2016, Akron is 20-20 under Terry.

In 2015 Akron went to a bowl game for the second time in its history.

Under Terry, Akron won 18 games in 3 seasons for only the second time in its history (2003-05 was the other).

That is the “factual” record. That is even more impressive than Don Nehlen inheriting a WVU team that was 17-27 over 4 seasons and going 33-15 in his first 4 seasons with the Mountaineers. And Dandy Don was deservedly praised for raising WVU football out of the quicksand.

This isn’t cherrypicking. This is as “factual” as it gets. You can’t belittle Terry’s accomplishments without looking foolish.

I have never said that Terry should be a lock for the job. But he should be on the short list. And I didn't even get into his record at Auburn, which was rather impressive, too.

But Terry inherited a century-long mess at Akron, and is turning the ship around. That is an incredible achievement for anyone who is not looking to poke holes in the "factual" by cherrypicking a number without including the other "factuals" that reveal what an incredible job Terry has done at Akron.

Last edited:
I see you replied to my posts and I'm sure you had something thoughtful to say, but I'll never know what it was, because I skip over your posts due to the bright red font.

I ignore him for the same reason. There is no need for the red. He could do the same with big black font and it would be easier on the eyes. He does it to be an old dick.

The words, man, the words. They are what separate me from those who refuse to see the world as it is. It's time we stop judging by color. That's what has created so many problems in this world and country.

Terry has done a remarkable renaissance for Akron. He deserves a look if Dana is gone. Not the only name on the short list, but one of them.

Even if the words are in another color.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

The words, man, the words. They are what separate me from those who refuse to see the world as it is. It's time we stop judging by color. That's what has created so many problems in this world and country.

Terry has done a remarkable renaissance for Akron. He deserves a look if Dana is gone. Not the only name on the short list, but one of them.

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Darth and Keaton and some of these other guys call us "T-shirt fans". They are the "silver spoon" fans of WVU. They had parents that either went there or paid their way to go to school there and feel like they have "earned" their fanhood. Unlike the many of us, who paid our own way and/or were a first generation college graduate. They have that holier than thou attitude that is the most despicable attitudes there is out there......

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Gross negligence if he is on Lyons' short list. When things got tough at Auburn, and he was 1-5 in the middle of the season, he quit. He quit on himself, he quit on his players, and he quit on the school that hired him. He is a quitter. Comes from a good family. Probably a really nice guy. But he bailed when the going got tough. And might there be the issue of a sexual harassment problem at Auburn to consider, also (not sure about that, would need to check it out).

Gross negligence if he is on Lyons' short list. When things got tough at Auburn, and he was 1-5 in the middle of the season, he quit. He quit on himself, he quit on his players, and he quit on the school that hired him. He is a quitter. Comes from a good family. Probably a really nice guy. But he bailed when the going got tough. And might there be the issue of a sexual harassment problem at Auburn to consider, also (not sure about that, would need to check it out).

EDIT: Thought you were talking about Kiffin.......my bad.

Still think Bowden is a good coach.

EDIT: Thought you were talking about Kiffin.......my bad.

Still think Bowden is a good coach.

That's OK. I'm had my share of gaffes that get jumped on quickly with delight by those who don't like my opinions because they don't match theirs.

Mash the Mormons!!!

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Darth and Keaton and some of these other guys call us "T-shirt fans". They are the "silver spoon" fans of WVU. They had parents that either went there or paid their way to go to school there and feel like they have "earned" their fanhood. Unlike the many of us, who paid our own way and/or were a first generation college graduate. They have that holier than thou attitude that is the most despicable attitudes there is out there......

What year did you graduate from WVU? We might be friends.....

Signing in as a first gen WVU grad who earned his FREE education with hard work and a great brain....

Other than that..... Nailed it, WV. LOL!

My dad went to Penn State.

My parents did pay for the majority of my college education. They were in the financial position to shoulder the tuition payments.

I have children and I will pay for their education too, if their path leads them to college. I'm financially planning for it and I don't want to see them start their adult lives buried in debt.

I married a smart woman with a good career of her own. Her parents helped her out along the way too.

So.....to clarify.....

1. Those losses should be forgotten....

2. But Bill Stewart years can still be bashed.....????

That's logical.
I was just thinking today about Coach Stewart. He really did get a raw deal. I am really sorry for some of the things I said about him. We are better off for him having been here. He loved the state and the program, and that goes a long way in these parts...

I was just thinking today about Coach Stewart. He really did get a raw deal. I am really sorry for some of the things I said about him. We are better off for him having been here. He loved the state and the program, and that goes a long way in these parts...

He got the deal he made.

Awwwwwwwwww
On a given Saturday I would say that 1/3 to 1/2 of the folks in that stadium are what you would refer to as t-shirt fans. I can tell because they are most likely not part of the mass entrance after every kickoff and part of the mass exodus ten minutes before the final play...
Our student section is the worst offender...

On a given Saturday I would say that 1/3 to 1/2 of the folks in that stadium are what you would refer to as t-shirt fans. I can tell because they are most likely not part of the mass entrance after every kickoff and part of the mass exodus ten minutes before the final play...
Our student section is the worst offender...

So you've actually polled these people and know which ones have degrees and which dont?

Sorry, WVU is a school. Kids go to classes and stuff. Live in dorms, eat in cafeterias.....

So you've actually polled these people and know which ones have degrees and which dont?

Sorry, WVU is a school. Kids go to classes and stuff. Live in dorms, eat in cafeterias.....
On a Saturday? I went to class, lived in the dorms, and ate in those cafeterias. I was there to see the band play before and after the games...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT