ADVERTISEMENT

I'm buying.....Terry Bowden quality coach

MountaineerWV

All-American
Sep 18, 2007
Akron is absolutely stomping a mud hole and walking it dry against Marshall. It's not even close the talent on Akron versus Marshall.

MU was up 21-7 in 1st quarter......since then it is 48-10 Akron.

Reactions: MountThis1
As much as I will ALWAYS love Coach Stewart ...Terry Bowden would have been the best realistic hire after RR bolted for the Detroit suburbs. He wanted the job badly and I wanted him to get it :(

No offense but it's Marshall and their head coach Doc has never even been a coordinator. This may sound like I am "hating" but they have built their program on a SOS in the FCS range (about 130 or higher). .

Terry though could have had a real good coaching career. When he got canned at auburn he was hot, but he stayed away too long. If you believe a lot of rumors, he had offers (SEC, ACC) and he was young. He could have had the TX tech job (the one Dick turned down) when they hired Leach. Strong rumor is he could have had the WVU job when Don was forced out, but he said no & missed his window and that's why he's at Akron.

He does know how to call a game.

At how to be a .500 coach in the MAC and beating a mediocre Conference USA team?

One serious flaw to your statement......Bowden has proven he can do it at a high level (SEC). What he's done at Akron, one of the WORST college football jobs in America, is remarkable.

No offense but it's Marshall and their head coach Doc has never even been a coordinator. This may sound like I am "hating" but they have built their program on a SOS in the FCS range (about 130 or higher). .

Terry though could have had a real good coaching career. When he got canned at auburn he was hot, but he stayed away too long. If you believe a lot of rumors, he had offers (SEC, ACC) and he was young. He could have had the TX tech job (the one Dick turned down) when they hired Leach. Strong rumor is he could have had the WVU job when Don was forced out, but he said no & missed his window and that's why he's at Akron.

He does know how to call a game.
The job was Skip Holtz's to lose, until the Fiesta Bowl happened. Terry hadn't even started coaching at the DII school (I forget the name) so he wasn't a strong option at that point. I also said Lonnie Galloway should've gotten OC here before leaving for Louisville, but as always, hindsight is 20/20.

One serious flaw to your statement......Bowden has proven he can do it at a high level (SEC). What he's done at Akron, one of the WORST college football jobs in America, is remarkable.

I agree; I've been told Bowden is too old for coaching at WVU. He may or may not have 10 years left in him, but if Dana goes, I'd like to see Terry get a shot.

The job was Skip Holtz's to lose, until the Fiesta Bowl happened. Terry hadn't even started coaching at the DII school (I forget the name) so he wasn't a strong option at that point. I also said Lonnie Galloway should've gotten OC here before leaving for Louisville, but as always, hindsight is 20/20.

What does Skip Holtz have to do with what I said about Terry Bowden?

I stated about 7 years earlier when Don was out in 2000, not in 2007. By 2007, Terry Bowden was a long memory back and no schools were interested anymore.

Some wanted Skip, some wanted Doc and some wanted Terry considered. That led to Stew getting the job after the bowl game as a political compromise with Doc on the staff. A bad process and decision led by Joe and allowed by Garrison and Pastilong.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Some wanted Skip, some wanted Doc and some wanted Terry considered. That led to Stew getting the job after the bowl game as a political compromise with Doc on the staff. A bad process and decision led by Joe and allowed by Garrison and Pastilong.
Who have been three black eyes for this school at one point or another.

@3xWVUenginEER I misread. Apologies.

heard it was Butch Jones to halftime of the Fiesta. Butch was running a carbon copy program to that of Rod's then at CMU in terms of scheme, personality, saying hold the rope, etc. would've come back (not far removed) & run the same stuff.

heard Jimbo could've been too.

water under the bridge now. mixed on both. Stew and Co did give 9-win seasons and won the Meineke Bowl...could've been better, could've been a lot worse. They did bring in Geno/Tavon/Stedman/Irvin as well. by they I mean part Stew, part Doc, part Lonnie.

this is the year for TN to turn the corner & Jones has been a bit shaky throughout at TN. team looks suspect through 3 games & MUST beat FL finally.

Jimbo gets elite recruits down there & rode Winston to an awful lot of wins. no fan of how he handled Winston shenanigans & unsure if Jimbo would have been a winner in Morgantown & the BXII.

MountaineerWV and Chris From WVU, be prepared for a shitstorm of stupid rebuttals.

I caught a lot of flak for pointing out several weeks ago that Terry Bowden was doing an impressive job at Akron.

But look at his record:

At Auburn, 11-0 in 1993, then 9-1, 8-4, 8-4, 10-3, then 1-5 before being fired in midseason in 1998.

At Akron, 1-11 in 2012, then 5-7, 5-7, 8-5 and, this season beat VMI, 47-24; lost to Wisconsin, 54-10, and humiliated Marshall, 63-38.

Zips coaching record doesn’t seem impressive to outsiders, but he inherited an Akron team that was 1-11 and 1-11 in the previous two seasons, and had NO winning seasons from 2006 to 2011.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

No. You are right. He certainly does not need any advice on how to be mediocre and lose to teams like Kansas and Iowa State.

No. You are right. He certainly does not need any advice on how to be mediocre and lose to teams like Kansas and Iowa State.

Terry Bowden has only won big while using players that were bought at Auburn. No thanks. His record at Akron is not exactly stellar. Beating a mediocre Marshall team shouldn't land him a job at a program from a power 5 conference. We can pay a coach now, so why look at small time coaches just because they have ties to WVU?

Terry Bowden has only won big while using players that were bought at Auburn. No thanks. His record at Akron is not exactly stellar. Beating a mediocre Marshall team shouldn't land him a job at a program from a power 5 conference. We can pay a coach now, so why look at small time coaches just because they have ties to WVU?

At Akron, 1-11 in 2012, then 5-7, 5-7, 8-5 and, this season beat VMI, 47-24; lost to Wisconsin, 54-10, and humiliated Marshall, 63-38.

This despite inheriting an Akron team that was 1-11 and 1-11 in the previous two seasons, and had NO winning seasons from 2006 to 2011.

From 2-22 to 10-6 for the last 16 games!!! That's called a magnificent turnaround, in case you're mathematically challenged.

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer

The guy that WVU got from Bowling Green (before going to Michigan with Bo) did a pretty fair job for the Mountaineers for 21 years. And Auburn isn't exactly "small time" and Terry did a bangup job there.

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

We lost to KU and ISU three years ago, it's time to let that go. We are 4-1 against both.

And Terry Bowden, no thanks.

Not sure why you have animosity towards Terry Bowden. I don't think he would replace Holgorson if Lyons where to make a change mainly due to his age. If He happens to be the next wvu coach then im sure his goal would be to win the big 12 and get to the playoff. I can assure that Terry Bowden won't be the kind of person that will go around making excuses that we can't do better than 7-5 because where in the big 12 now.

Not sure why you have animosity towards Terry Bowden. I don't think he would replace Holgorson if Lyons where to make a change mainly due to his age. If He happens to be the next wvu coach then im sure his goal would be to win the big 12 and get to the playoff. I can assure that Terry Bowden won't be the kind of person that will go around making excuses that we can't do better than 7-5 because where in the big 12 now.

BINGO! It would be nice to hear someone say something different than...."well, you see, we play in a big boy league now...." I'm sick of hearing that line......

Reactions: GoWVU

This despite inheriting an Akron team that was 1-11 and 1-11 in the previous two seasons, and had NO winning seasons from 2006 to 2011.

From 2-22 to 10-6 for the last 16 games!!! That's called a magnificent turnaround, in case you're mathematically challenged.

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

I didn't say he hasn't turned Akron around. It's great that he turned them around. But if we end up looking for a new coach in the future (personally I hope Holgs gets it figured out & is here for a while), I would hope we could do better than Terry Bowden. JMO.

I've been saying for the last 3 years that there was a group that would push hard for Terry Bowden and people thought I was joking. It's the anti-Luck, anti-Dana group.

I've been saying for the last 3 years that there was a group that would push hard for Terry Bowden and people thought I was joking. It's the anti-Luck, anti-Dana group.

I've NEVER been "anti-Luck," often calling him the most qualified AD in WVU history. I'm not "anti-Dana," but I am unimpressed so far. A 4-5 Big 12 average for 4 years is nothing to cheer about, right. I don't care if ham sandwich is the WVU coach if it wins the Big 12 and the national title. I only care about my alma mater. If Dana falters again in 2016, then I think Terry Bowden is worth a look. He did well at Auburn. He rescusitated a moribund Akron program. Those look like pretty good credentials to me. If Nick Saban would come to WVU, even at his age, I'd be happy, but that won't happen. So I think Terry should be on the replacement list. That doesn't seem out of line to me, as a former sportswriter paid for years for my opinion.

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

Bill Snyder was 400 years old when he returned to K State. He seems to be doing just fine with the limited resources they have. Terry would be just fine at WVU. As already stated, a great Xs and Os guy is a better coach than a great recruiter. Holiday is the prime example of that.

I've NEVER been "anti-Luck," often calling him the most qualified AD in WVU history. I'm not "anti-Dana," but I am unimpressed so far. A 4-5 Big 12 average for 4 years is nothing to cheer about, right. I don't care if ham sandwich is the WVU coach if it wins the Big 12 and the national title. I only care about my alma mater. If Dana falters again in 2016, then I think Terry Bowden is worth a look. He did well at Auburn. He rescusitated a moribund Akron program. Those look like pretty good credentials to me. If Nick Saban would come to WVU, even at his age, I'd be happy, but that won't happen. So I think Terry should be on the replacement list. That doesn't seem out of line to me, as a former sportswriter paid for years for my opinion.

U nnerve BYU

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

I see you replied to my posts and I'm sure you had something thoughtful to say, but I'll never know what it was, because I skip over your posts due to the bright red font.

Reactions: WVURobinHood
Bill Snyder was 400 years old when he returned to K State. He seems to be doing just fine with the limited resources they have. Terry would be just fine at WVU. As already stated, a great Xs and Os guy is a better coach than a great recruiter. Holiday is the prime example of that.

Yep. All aboard the orange hair train.

This is a hire Lyons needs to lock down.

Give me a good X's and O's coach over a good recruiter any day of the year.
I accept this ONLY when considering extremes. An outstanding "X" and "O" guy needs to have decent talent to be successful. Poor talent and stiff competition does not produce wins no matter the skill set of the leader. Agreed, though, that outstanding talent in the hands of inept coaches will not be a formula for success, either. However, unless the coach is one that throttles the output of the talent some wins will occur. Must also consider that great talent will not migrate to a program where the coaching is obviously miserable and, most likely, a failure. I will accept a formula similar to that seen at WVU over many years. We get decent talent with a few really good ones tossed in occasionally. We do not routinely get the highly regarded (5 star) kids,. We have had coaches who possessed the talent to spot kids who would become better with coaching and maturity. We have seen the coaches do a good job of teaching and getting kids to accept their desires. We have seen success with less than the best talent.

Bowden overall record at Akron is 19-30.

8-5 in 2015 was his best season. His only winning season.

He can't coach at Akron. What makes anyone think he can coach at WVU? The team he inherited at Auburn was not his players.

If Lyons where to make a change then I hope all possibilities are considered. The decision is not about being Pro/Anti Dana, Pro/Anti Luck, its about being whats best for Wvu. We are currently 2-0 up to this point with 11 games to go assuming we make it to a bowl game. My dream has always been to see Wvu win a national championship. In 2016 coach Holgorson is the one on the sideline and I will support him throughout the season. If he fails to live up to expectations and is let go i won't cry over it either. I will support whoever is the coach as I have always done.

It is funny to watch the ole sports "expert" get contextual with Bowden's record at Akron.......... but when actual situational awareness or context is introduced into examining Dana Holgorsen, he spouts off about "just excuses" and "the facts are the facts"

Well, the facts say Bowden has a winning percentage at Akron of 39%.................

Reactions: the wop
Bowden overall record at Akron is 19-30.

8-5 in 2015 was his best season. His only winning season.

He can't coach at Akron. What makes anyone think he can coach at WVU? The team he inherited at Auburn was not his players.

I'm firmly against this idea but I give credit where credit is due. He's done a very good job at Akron. That team was struggling to win a single game before he took the job.

If Lyons where to make a change then I hope all possibilities are considered. The decision is not about being Pro/Anti Dana, Pro/Anti Luck, its about being whats best for Wvu. We are currently 2-0 up to this point with 11 games to go assuming we make it to a bowl game. My dream has always been to see Wvu win a national championship. In 2016 coach Holgorson is the one on the sideline and I will support him throughout the season. If he fails to live up to expectations and is let go i won't cry over it either. I will support whoever is the coach as I have always done.

For some people it's only about being anti-Luck/Dana.

It's personal. Has nothing to do with football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT