ADVERTISEMENT

Holgrosen, is the pressure on him to win big?

Getting back to ticket sales....Dana has not and will not foster a good relationship with the beat reporters and all of the many media outlets that cover WVU sports. He has taken away so much access that these outlets cannot help create the buzz around the program that helps generate ticket sales.

His weird almost adversarial relationship with local media has been a giant misstep on his part and some of the blame has to be laid at the AD's doorstep for allowing such behavior.

Also, his hiring of friends at WVU expense does not go unnoticed even by the casual fan.

Many things factor into whether Dana will be head ball coach next year but I will be surprised if he is no matter if he wins 7 or 12.

My opinion, like yours and everyone else on this forum, doesn't mean jack crap. Names are meaningless. Attributes however are important. So...proven recruiter with blue blood school rep...someone who understands attitude and the term "student athlete"...a motivator for the team, school and community...and please, someone who isn't a flag football advocate.

Names are very important.
Just look at your first opponent as an example.
That was a grassroots boycott in Knoxville because the former AD was not hiring coaches who Tennessee fans thought were good enough for the job.

I think you are speaking about a Mark Dantonio type of coach.
He is not leaving Michigan St.
S Carolina tried it already.

Blake Anderson at Arkansas St will be the big name this November.

He has Big XII ties as well as ties to the Carolinas.
Larry Fedora and UNC havent look the same since he went to Arkansas St.

The Red Wolves night finish in the Top 25 this season.

Another coach is Seth Littrell from UNT.
Another coach under Larry Fedora.
His last year in Chapel Hill was the last year UNC was any good.

He played at OU and won a NC.

Might be another one who gets picked up by a big program.
His name is being passed around in Lubbock and Lawrence.

The funny thing about Littrell is that Dana's son committed to UNT to play QB but Littrell went elsewhere for QB and Holgersen's son ended up at Bowling Green.

It would be fitting if Littrell ends up with Dana's job but KU and their superboosters are after him if Bielema doesnt end up in Lawrence.

As far as this year goes, and DH's contract, Basically, no matter what happens, DH will have 2 more yrs. Personally, I hope its a HUGE success and the catalyst yr for spring boarding the program into the 1in3 yrs compete for a Big12+CFP.. which is probably the best we can hope for at WVU, no matter how much we spend....unless its spent in an unethical manner(Nobody wants to do, but it does happen)..

{Side note, Im hopeful they will start to pay these student athletes, at least those who dress. Something like $2K per game, $3k for a conference Champ & bowl game, for players who dress, unless injured.. Using likeness creates differences... and universities could "Claim" they sold xmillion Qb jersey's.. Every player should receive an equal amount, as long as they dress, or are listed as 1 or 2nd string & injured. }

5 year Plan
1st yr top 25 Recruiting class Win 8 games+Bowl
2nd yr top 25 recruiting class Win 9 games+Bowl
3rd yr top 20 recruiting class win 9 games+Bowl
4th yr top 20 recruiting class win 10 games + Big12 appearance
5th yr top 15 recruiting class win 11 games + Big12 + CFP appearance

6th yr and beyond should be self-sustaining as long as an Average year is a 8 Win + Bowl and have a top 20-25 recruiting class.. Every 2-4 years be in a position to seriously compete for the Big12 & CFP appearance. I think this is an achievable goal, any more would not be realistic, given who we are going up against in our league.

OU, Texas, TCU, Baylor mainly, all having recruiting & monetary advantages... Not including the schools that are Geographically competing for recruits, OSU, Penn St, VT, TENN,Michigan, Clemson

I think DH can accomplish this, if he has the updated facilities & can hire quality recruiters.

That said, Personally, one flaw I see with DH.... His inability to bring someone into his staff that has different concepts/philosophies...

Having fresh eyes, diversity, different perspectives, etc, is a really good thing. In fact, most super successful businesses/individuals usually combine fields of practice/ideas/methods/etc... If Spav doesnt work out, Id like to see DH bring an OC in that deploys a somewhat different concept, someone outside the Leach tree... This way they could work together and take concepts from both philosophies to produce something unique..

Gus Malzahns offense was here, in fact many would say it was perfected here... with RichRod.. As Rich Rod, Urban Meyer, & Chip Kelley are known to be the God fathers of the Spread-Run scheme..

I agree at the College level, the best offenses are those that has a Dual threat QB, that has a decent-good arm. It just adds so many elements that must be defended making DC Game Planning very challenging. DH brought the jet sweep to forefront with Tavon in the Orange Bowl vs Clemson, since then you've seen it implemented at many other programs.

I also agree, a major fault with DH is he seems to be afraid to bring someone in thats outside the Mike Leach tree, or someone he's not work with in the past.. Having an OC that has different concepts, a fresh new perspective, could be great. If they worked together, they could extract variations of both to design something truly unique. If Spav doesnt work out, Id like to see the next OC be from a different Offensive philosophy... It can still be a Spread scheme, but different variations..

After reviewing different schemes, I really like Chris Peterson & Bush Hamdan's schemes deployed at Washington.. Dating back to their Boise State days... To not belong to a P5 conference, they sure as hell recruited very well & deployed creative concepts that fully exploited the talent they had. When you have time, I invite you to do a little research on Boise State & Washington's offense...

The history of the spread is something that has been manipulated over time and the wrong people given credit.

The godfather of the spread is Dutch Meyer. A book was written about Urban Meyer when he was at Florida and the wrong Meyer was given credit.
https://www.fearthewing.com/dutch-meyer-tcu-spread/
The spread offense was ran at the high school level in Texas since the 1930's.

The modern spread was created by a high school in California.
Jack Nuemeier.

Hal Mummee and Mike Leach's AirRaid as well as Jeff Cheaney's Basketball on Grass was the reintroduction of the spread to major college football in the late 90's.

Urban Meyer took his offense from Purdue when he was hired at Bowling Green.

Malzahn's offense originated in high school football.

Watch Arkansas in 2006.
The Wildcat offense with Arkansas' three backs was a thing of beauty.

{Side note, Im hopeful they will start to pay these student athletes, at least those who dress. Something like $2K per game, $3k for a conference Champ & bowl game, for players who dress, unless injured..

I wish they would go back to recruiting and playing kids who can string a sentence together and realize they are student athletes getting a free ride. Or just make it all the Div III model again.

The history of the spread is something that has been manipulated over time and the wrong people given credit.

The godfather of the spread is Dutch Meyer. A book was written about Urban Meyer when he was at Florida and the wrong Meyer was given credit.
https://www.fearthewing.com/dutch-meyer-tcu-spread/
The spread offense was ran at the high school level in Texas since the 1930's.

The modern spread was created by a high school in California.
Jack Nuemeier.

Hal Mummee and Mike Leach's AirRaid as well as Jeff Cheaney's Basketball on Grass was the reintroduction of the spread to major college football in the late 90's.

Urban Meyer took his offense from Purdue when he was hired at Bowling Green.

Malzahn's offense originated in high school football.

Watch Arkansas in 2006.
The Wildcat offense with Arkansas' three backs was a thing of beauty.

Sorry should have been more specific, as there are many variations of a "Spread O"..

Rich Rod developed the Modern Zone-read Spread-Run scheme in 1990 at Glenville State. What was once innovative is now ran by most programs to one degree or another.. He is given credit for his impact on college football, first made popular at Clemson, then WVU with Pat White. His time has came and gone, tho..

Looking forward to see who the next innovator will be... Theres only so much you can do with the same structures... Im curious if we will start to see split o-line formations at one point, which is one area there hasnt been much innovation.

Sorry should have been more specific, as there are many variations of a "Spread O"..

Rich Rod developed the Modern Zone-read Spread-Run scheme in 1990 at Glenville State. What was once innovative is now ran by most programs to one degree or another.. He is given credit for his impact on college football, first made popular at Clemson, then WVU with Pat White. His time has came and gone, tho..

Looking forward to see who the next innovator will be... Theres only so much you can do with the same structures... Im curious if we will start to see split o-line formations at one point, which is one area there hasnt been much innovation.

Rodriguez should be given credit for his innovation but....his zone read was combining what BYU was doing with Lavell Edwards with the Wishbone from Oklahoma.

I agree collaboration is best.

As of right now that includes to me the best 8 offensive minds in CFB.
Dan Mullen
Lincoln Riley
Scott Frost
Tom Herman
Chip Kelly
Jim Chaney.
Gus Malzahn
Mike Leach

Chaney, the UGA OC, to me is the best at adapting different styles into his own.

He was the Purdue OC with Drew Brees and Kyle Orton
Went to the NFL and adopted more of a power spread/pro style spread.
Struggled a few years in the SEC but seems to have found himself at UGA.

It would be interesting to see UGA's offense in 2018.

I have said it on here before the new offense of college football will be a team that can run downhill from the spread and cut the top off of a defense.

The 2014 CFP with Ohio St and Tom Herman have been the only masters of it and it was for only three games.

Last edited:
The issue with Dana Holgersen and the AirRaid in general is that defenses have caught up with it for the most part.
You need the pass to run and if you have the bigger corners and safties that can cover a lot of ground you can't move the ball.

It ultimately comes down to line play and protecting the QB.
Teams have to play more conservative to protect the QB and they have less skill guys.

Every team wants to run the ball downhill but most lack the personal and the OL.
You cant get to the outside with LBs the can run and contain the edge.

WVU needs to go back to the dual threat type QB.

Watch TCU.
Sonny Cumbie is a student of Mike Leach, Art Briles and Dana.
TCU unlike Mike Leach likes the mobile QB.

Reactions: Rootmaster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT