ADVERTISEMENT

Has the NFL screwed the pooch?

wvu80

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Not only have they pissed off a lot of fans, now Trump is talking about their massive tax breaks. They opened a can of worms.

Short answer: NOPE

The NFL is fine......and will be fine. If the president goes after them, it will be he who would have "screwed the pooch" (or just grabbed it by the pu$$y).......

Not only have they pissed off a lot of fans, now Trump is talking about their massive tax breaks. They opened a can of worms.
What "massive tax breaks"? Is he going to exclude the owners and players from the proposed tax cuts??

BTW - my fantasy WRs are the ones that have screwed the pooch for back to back weeks now. 2 points COMBINED. In a f'n PPR league. Disgusting.

th

What "massive tax breaks"? Is he going to exclude the owners and players from the proposed tax cuts??

BTW - my fantasy WRs are the ones that have screwed the pooch for back to back weeks now. 2 points COMBINED. In a f'n PPR league. Disgusting.
Dude, that's hard to do in a PPR league. For now, I've righted the ship in my money league. I was able to pick up Cam and Ryan as QB's last week, for some reason two owners dropped those guys.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER

The NFL’s tax status has been controversial for years. The league announced in 2015 it would voluntarily lose its tax-exempt status, but the league still enjoys various tax breaks. According to Time, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell called the tax-exemption a “distraction” in 2015 and said it has been “mischaracterized repeatedly in recent years.”

Trump is not the only Republican who has slammed the league’s tax break in recent weeks.

This, and think about how much cities pay to help build their stadiums

The NFL’s tax status has been controversial for years. The league announced in 2015 it would voluntarily lose its tax-exempt status, but the league still enjoys various tax breaks. According to Time, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell called the tax-exemption a “distraction” in 2015 and said it has been “mischaracterized repeatedly in recent years.”

Trump is not the only Republican who has slammed the league’s tax break in recent weeks.

This, and think about how much cities pay to help build their stadiums
Right....so they haven't been tax exempt in years and the federal government shouldn't get a say in what a state/city does with their tax dollars, no? What tax breaks is the NFL presently enjoying? Wait until this massive tax reform occurs....talk about massive tax breaks for the NFL. Bigly.

Reactions: countryroads89
Right....so they haven't been tax exempt in years and the federal government shouldn't get a say in what a state/city does with their tax dollars, no? What tax breaks is the NFL presently enjoying? Wait until this massive tax reform occurs....talk about massive tax breaks for the NFL. Bigly.
The nonprofit Tax Foundation estimated in 2013 that Congress wouldn’t actually find much additional revenue in taxing the NFL. More specifically, Congress’ Joint Committee on Taxation estimated that it would bring in $109 million over 10 years.

Has anyone else ever threatened its tax status?
Since the national anthem controversy, other Republicans aside from Trump have called for an end to tax breaks the NFL gets at the state level, including subsidies for stadiums.

Last month, Louisiana state Rep. Kenny Havard called for the end of his state's funding to the New Orleans Saints. The Times-Picayune reported that the Saints receive about $165 million of its $1.5 billion value in public funding, incentives and tax breaks.
The NFL office had been tax exempt since 1969 until 2015

Reactions: wvu2007
The nonprofit Tax Foundation estimated in 2013 that Congress wouldn’t actually find much additional revenue in taxing the NFL. More specifically, Congress’ Joint Committee on Taxation estimated that it would bring in $109 million over 10 years.

Since the national anthem controversy, other Republicans aside from Trump have called for an end to tax breaks the NFL gets at the state level, including subsidies for stadiums.

Last month, Louisiana state Rep. Kenny Havard called for the end of his state's funding to the New Orleans Saints. The Times-Picayune reported that the Saints receive about $165 million of its $1.5 billion value in public funding, incentives and tax breaks.
Trump’s latest angle of attack represents a fresh direction for the president; before Tuesday, he had never criticized the league for its tax affairs. And perhaps that should have remained the case. While the league has attracted criticism for using public money for new stadiums—a March 2017 ESPN article said new stadiums and renovations to old ones since 1997 cost the taxpayers $6.7 billion, including the Oakland Raiders’ upcoming transition to Las Vegas, which will come in at almost $1 billion—it has moved in recent years to close up one tax loophole. As fact-checking website Snopes.com explained, the NFL’s tax-exempt status prior to 2015 applied only to the league central office, which handles the administrative side of the game. The 32 teams themselves, private organizations, all pay tax as normal. Anyway, in 2015, the league office voluntarily gave up its tax-exempt status.
Go back to my first message. Point was, why open yourself up like that.

Trump’s latest angle of attack represents a fresh direction for the president; before Tuesday, he had never criticized the league for its tax affairs. And perhaps that should have remained the case. While the league has attracted criticism for using public money for new stadiums—a March 2017 ESPN article said new stadiums and renovations to old ones since 1997 cost the taxpayers $6.7 billion, including the Oakland Raiders’ upcoming transition to Las Vegas, which will come in at almost $1 billion—it has moved in recent years to close up one tax loophole. As fact-checking website Snopes.com explained, the NFL’s tax-exempt status prior to 2015 applied only to the league central office, which handles the administrative side of the game. The 32 teams themselves, private organizations, all pay tax as normal. Anyway, in 2015, the league office voluntarily gave up its tax-exempt status.
Go back to my first message. Point was, why open yourself up like that.
The National Football League is now plunged into politics as players throughout the sport kneel for the national anthem and President Donald Trump continues to rebuke them publicly.

Undoubtedly, the situation has left many fans and non-fans of the league conflicted or angry.

This fiasco may, however, open the eyes of the public to a serious and generally unchecked issue: billionaire NFL owners sponging enormous amounts of money from taxpayers through crony capitalist schemes.

The fact is that a business that raked in $14 billion in revenue in 2016 is heavily subsidized by local, state, and federal money based on dubious claims about stimulating the economy.

Americans need an alternative to the mainstream media. But this can't be done alone. Find out more >>

The problem is rampant.

One report on Watchdog.org said that over the past two decades, the NFL has raked in about $7 billion of taxpayer money to spend on stadium renovation and building.

Another study from the Brookings Institution showed that federal taxpayers have subsidized the construction of 36 stadiums at a cost of over $3.2 billion since 2000.

Michael Sargent, an infrastructure expert at The Heritage Foundation, wrote about how sports teams use specially crafted tax breaks to get the public to finance their massive projects.

“Tax-exempt municipal bonds are typically reserved for public-use projects such as bridges, water systems, and other infrastructure,” Sargent wrote for The Daily Signal. “Yet because of a loophole in the tax code, private-use stadiums can take advantage of this tax break, and have done so prolifically.”

In fact, only a handful of NFL and other major league teams use privately-financed venues to host their games.

It would seem after sinking enormous investments into sports franchises, cities would reap serious financial benefits in return.

But this isn’t the case at all.

Research from George Mason University has shown that not only do communities gain almost no economic benefits from subsidized sports teams, but some findings “indicate harmful effects of sports on per capita income, wage and salary disbursements, and wages per job.”

Recently released polls show national anthem protests are deeply unpopular with the American people, but polls also show that the taxpayer funding of sports is also widely disliked.

When likely voters in Nevada were asked if they favored or opposed using $500 million in taxpayer dollars to fund a stadium for the Oakland Raiders to move to Las Vegas, they overwhelmingly said “no.”

According to the KTNV-TV 13 Action News/Rasmussen Reports poll, 60 percent of Nevada voters opposed the funding, and only 28 percent supported it.

Given the massive discontent over national anthem kneeling and rampant politicization of the once unifying sport of football, perhaps now Americans will turn a more skeptical eye toward how their sports teams rely on public money and actually do something about it.

https://twitter.com/conncarroll/status/912659954313695233
Conn Carroll @conncarroll

The National Football League is now plunged into politics as players throughout the sport kneel for the national anthem and President Donald Trump continues to rebuke them publicly.

Undoubtedly, the situation has left many fans and non-fans of the league conflicted or angry.

This fiasco may, however, open the eyes of the public to a serious and generally unchecked issue: billionaire NFL owners sponging enormous amounts of money from taxpayers through crony capitalist schemes.

The fact is that a business that raked in $14 billion in revenue in 2016 is heavily subsidized by local, state, and federal money based on dubious claims about stimulating the economy.

Americans need an alternative to the mainstream media. But this can't be done alone. Find out more >>

The problem is rampant.

One report on Watchdog.org said that over the past two decades, the NFL has raked in about $7 billion of taxpayer money to spend on stadium renovation and building.

Another study from the Brookings Institution showed that federal taxpayers have subsidized the construction of 36 stadiums at a cost of over $3.2 billion since 2000.

Michael Sargent, an infrastructure expert at The Heritage Foundation, wrote about how sports teams use specially crafted tax breaks to get the public to finance their massive projects.

“Tax-exempt municipal bonds are typically reserved for public-use projects such as bridges, water systems, and other infrastructure,” Sargent wrote for The Daily Signal. “Yet because of a loophole in the tax code, private-use stadiums can take advantage of this tax break, and have done so prolifically.”

In fact, only a handful of NFL and other major league teams use privately-financed venues to host their games.

It would seem after sinking enormous investments into sports franchises, cities would reap serious financial benefits in return.

But this isn’t the case at all.

Research from George Mason University has shown that not only do communities gain almost no economic benefits from subsidized sports teams, but some findings “indicate harmful effects of sports on per capita income, wage and salary disbursements, and wages per job.”

Recently released polls show national anthem protests are deeply unpopular with the American people, but polls also show that the taxpayer funding of sports is also widely disliked.

When likely voters in Nevada were asked if they favored or opposed using $500 million in taxpayer dollars to fund a stadium for the Oakland Raiders to move to Las Vegas, they overwhelmingly said “no.”

According to the KTNV-TV 13 Action News/Rasmussen Reports poll, 60 percent of Nevada voters opposed the funding, and only 28 percent supported it.

Given the massive discontent over national anthem kneeling and rampant politicization of the once unifying sport of football, perhaps now Americans will turn a more skeptical eye toward how their sports teams rely on public money and actually do something about it.

Conn Carroll @conncarroll

The NFL was kneeling last year and hardly no one batted an eye. The whiner in chief politicized it to attempt to make the players look disrespectful, which is not what the kneeling is about and he continues to double down on it.

You realize he "lost" a lawsuit years ago against the NFL? You realize that is what this is about? His ego won't allow him to let this go, that he has been shunned by the owners and is now making false claims about the league "failing" just like the "failing NY Times."

The NFL is just another on the list....Vogue, the NYTimes, mainstream media, Hollywood, Merkel, the PM of Australia, the President of Mexico, the UN...

The NFL was kneeling last year and hardly no one batted an eye. The whiner in chief politicized it to attempt to make the players look disrespectful, which is not what the kneeling is about and he continues to double down on it.

You realize he "lost" a lawsuit years ago against the NFL? You realize that is what this is about? His ego won't allow him to let this go, that he has been shunned by the owners and is now making false claims about the league "failing" just like the "failing NY Times."

The NFL is just another on the list....Vogue, the NYTimes, mainstream media, Hollywood, Merkel, the PM of Australia, the President of Mexico, the UN...

He won the lawsuit, wrongagain89. Admit you're wrong. Bet you can't.

You can support the castro loving USA hating asshole Kaeperdick all you want....I won't. And have breaking news for you.....it does show disrespect for our Country. NOTHING the players have done will do anything to address some of their legitimate concerns. They need to get their asses into communities and help to address the problems...hands on. Let them engage with the police....maybe have them go on a few patrols.

You can support the castro loving USA hating asshole Kaeperdick all you want....I won't. And have breaking news for you.....it does show disrespect for our Country. NOTHING the players have done will do anything to address some of their legitimate concerns. They need to get their asses into communities and help to address the problems...hands on. Let them engage with the police....maybe have them go on a few patrols.
I guess you don't understand the protest, sad.

Right....they stopped being tax exempt in 2015. Again, what massive tax breaks does the NFL currently enjoy?

Trump never sued the NFL...the USFL did and won. The jurists which legal experts say were duped by the judge by his damage award instructions awarded $1.00 to the USFL which was tripled plus interest.....they ended up getting $3.76.

Right....they stopped being tax exempt in 2015. Again, what massive tax breaks does the NFL currently enjoy?
I quess you didn't read. 7 BILLION over 2 decades of tax payer monies!

I guess you don't understand the protest, sad.
You are as blind as a bat. Let me help you out.....does "legitimate concerns" and "help to address the problems" register in your low IQ brain?
You're no Moe.......you are really Curly. As I said to another.....You can support the asshole Kaeperdick all you want...I won't.

I quess you didn't read. 7 BILLION over 2 decades of tax payer monies!
I read. And I comprehended. It's all in the past tense. Are you suggesting the US Treasury and IRS go back and retroactively punish an organization because the current POTUS is mad at them? Yikes. Talk about a slippery slope. I'd feel bad for all of the churches the next time we had a Dem Prez.

You are as blind as a bat. Let me help you out.....does "legitimate concerns" and "help to address the problems" register in your low IQ brain?
You're no Moe.......you are really Curly. As I said to another.....You can support the asshole Kaeperdick all you want...I won't.
I don't think he's on a team this year.

Why should he? According to people like DitKKKa, there hasn't been any oppression in American in the past 100 years.
Since you feel so strongly about it....What are you doing about the oppression? I'm doing my part by treating all people with respect and dignity.

Since you feel so strongly about it....What are you doing about the oppression? I'm doing my part by treating all people with respect and dignity.

Really? Well you are already caught lying........yeah, that's a lot of "respect and dignity" below.....

You can support the asshole Kaeperdick all you want

I read. And I comprehended. It's all in the past tense. Are you suggesting the US Treasury and IRS go back and retroactively punish an organization because the current POTUS is mad at them? Yikes. Talk about a slippery slope. I'd feel bad for all of the churches the next time we had a Dem Prez.
The CURRENT OAKLAND MOVE TO LAS VEGAS WILL COST TAXPAYERS 1 BILLION! That is CURRENT

I don't think he's on a team this year.
Kaeperdick has ALWAYS been the issue with me. I said straight up that the players have the right to express themselves. I also said the owners and Trump ALSO have the right to express how they feel. I also said that I believed the players protests would do nothing to address their concerns. These protests have turned into nothing but the anti Trump show.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
The CURRENT OAKLAND MOVE TO LAS VEGAS WILL COST TAXPAYERS 1 BILLION! That is CURRENT
Federal taxpayers? I don't think so. The Executive branch doesn't get to say what the people of Nevada spend their local taxes on.

Kaeperdick has ALWAYS been the issue with me. I said straight up that the players have the right to express themselves. I also said the owners and Trump ALSO have the right to express how they feel. I also said that I believed the players protests would do nothing to address their concerns. These protests have turned into nothing but the anti Trump show.
It was one week of anti Trump and that's because of Trump desperately trying to energize his base. We'll move on to the next battlefield in this "cultural" war soon enough.

Really? Well you are already caught lying........yeah, that's a lot of "respect and dignity" below.....

You can support the asshole Kaeperdick all you want
Why would I show respect and dignity to the castro loving...pig socks wearing...che loving asshole....USA hater Colon Kaerperdick?

Federal taxpayers? I don't think so. The Executive branch doesn't get to say what the people of Nevada spend their local taxes on.

Another study from the Brookings Institution showed that federal taxpayers have subsidized the construction of 36 stadiums at a cost of over $3.2 billion since 2000. FEDERAL TAXPAYERS

Another study from the Brookings Institution showed that federal taxpayers have subsidized the construction of 36 stadiums at a cost of over $3.2 billion since 2000. FEDERAL TAXPAYERS
Link that one for me please. I assume that's because of the tax breaks taxpayers get on Muni bonds. Good luck changing that.

I think the local and state citizens of those teams are idiots, but (picture of a frog drinking coffee) that's none of my business.

It was one week of anti Trump and that's because of Trump desperately trying to energize his base. We'll move on to the next battlefield in this "cultural" war soon enough.
Yes.....Kaerperdick and his friends can move on and keep their heads firmly planted in the sand.......Meanwhile in Chicago...the beat goes on.
October to Date
Shot & Killed: 18
Total Shot: 105
Total Homicides: 19
Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 514
Total Shot: 2977
Total Homicides: 552

Link that one for me please. I assume that's because of the tax breaks taxpayers get on Muni bonds. Good luck changing that.

I see the link above now. As suspected, it's on Muni bonds. No way any member of Congress votes to tax Muni bonds. I agree with you that it is a shame that billionaire owners fleece their towns for stadiums. The people of San Diego were wise enough to vote it down last year.

Yes.....Kaerperdick and his friends can move on and keep their heads firmly planted in the sand.......Meanwhile in Chicago...the beat goes on.
October to Date
Shot & Killed: 18
Total Shot: 105
Total Homicides: 19
Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 514
Total Shot: 2977
Total Homicides: 552
lol. They guy really gets you going.

original.gif

The whole story is in above posts, like I said before, read! They are also "pass through" companies, which have great tax breaks. The original post was a question. Why would a company piss off a lot of thier fans? Like if Walmart took out all American Flags, because it may or may not be a symbol of oppression. That would not be a very smart move

Last edited:
I see the link above now. As suspected, it's on Muni bonds. No way any member of Congress votes to tax Muni bonds. I agree with you that it is a shame that billionaire owners fleece their towns for stadiums. The people of San Diego were wise enough to vote it down last year.
“Tax-exempt municipal bonds are typically reserved for public-use projects such as bridges, water systems, and other infrastructure,” Sargent wrote for The Daily Signal. “Yet because of a loophole in the tax code, private-use stadiums can take advantage of this tax break, and have done so prolifically.” How about close this loophole.

The whole story is in above posts, like I said before, read! They are also "pass through" companies, which have great tax breaks. The original post was a question. Why would a company piss off a lot of thier fans? Like if Walmart took out all American Flags, because it may or may not be a symbol of oppression. That would not be a very smart move
Those "pass through" companies are about to get YUGE tax breaks with the proposed tax reform being pushed now. YUGE.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT