ADVERTISEMENT

Has the NFL screwed the pooch?

So Michal Wilbon of PTI fame is an idiot.

Mr. Wilbon, co-host of “Pardon the Interruption,” took issue with Mr. Jones’ stance that players who do not stand for the national anthem before football games will not play.

“And the word that comes to my mind―and I don’t care who doesn’t like me using it―is plantation,” Mr. Wilbon said on Monday’s show. “The players are here to serve me, and they will do what I want. No matter how much I pay them, they are not equal to me. That’s what this says to me and mine.”

No shit.

Those "pass through" companies are about to get YUGE tax breaks with the proposed tax reform being pushed now. YUGE.
Those "pass through" companies are about to get YUGE tax breaks with the proposed tax reform being pushed now. YUGE.
Yes, yet some companies will not be allowed to use the new pass through law. Another loophole that could be closed. Point was, why open up that can?

Yes, yet some companies will not be allowed to use the new pass through law. Another loophole that could be closed. Point was, why open up that can?
I don't think they set out to drive away customers. They acted emotionally to what POTUS said to rile up his base. Now we are back to a handful a week "protesting". Pretty soon everyone will be on to the next injustice.

I don't think for 1 second that POTUS or Congress is going to exempt NFL owners from the tax breaks. And the players are going to make out like bandits with the new tax reform.

22338988_10212456074870995_6210864157229950442_o.jpg

BTW here's an article from the WSJ today. Alas, I was wrong. There are members wanting to make income from Muni bonds taxable. Even Comrade Obama wanted to:
Ending the tax break for pro-sports stadiums has support in Congress. Rep. Steve Russell (R., Okla.) and Sen. Cory Booker (D., N.J.) are the primary sponsors of a bill that would prevent tax-exempt bonds from being used to finance the projects.

In a statement Tuesday, Mr. Russell said the issuance of tax-free bonds to pay for stadiums distorts the goal of helping municipalities pay for infrastructure projects. He said the issue has more urgency given the recent protests.

An Obama administration proposal to repeal the tax break for pro sports stadiums would have raised $542 million over a decade, according to a Treasury Department estimate in 2016.

And then:
While ending the tax exemption for sports stadiums would be a blow to NFL franchise owners, Mr. Trump’s broader tax proposals could mean a much bigger benefit for them.

For instance, Mr. Trump wants to set a top tax rate of 25% on so-called pass-through income of businesses, down from today’s top rate of 39.6%. That is a structure that sports teams commonly use. Depending on how the rules are written, they could see smaller tax bills on their annual income.

Mr. Trump also wants to repeal the estate tax, which would help sports owners. The president has pointed to the one-year repeal of the estate tax in 2010 as helping the Steinbrenner family, owners of the New York Yankees.

“When George Steinbrenner died, like with the estate taxes, the estate paid nothing,” Mr. Trump said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal in July. “And if he would have died like two weeks later, they would have paid 50% of the Yankees.”

Mr. Steinbrenner died in July 2010, months before the repeal expired and a new 55% rate was scheduled to take effect on Jan. 1, 2011; that rate was later set by Congress at 35% for 2011. Forbes estimated his net worth at $1.1 billion when he died, meaning the lack of an estate tax potentially saved his heirs hundreds of millions of dollars.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-puts-spotlight-on-sports-tax-breaks-1507660681

BTW here's an article from the WSJ today. Alas, I was wrong. There are members wanting to make income from Muni bonds taxable. Even Comrade Obama wanted to:
Ending the tax break for pro-sports stadiums has support in Congress. Rep. Steve Russell (R., Okla.) and Sen. Cory Booker (D., N.J.) are the primary sponsors of a bill that would prevent tax-exempt bonds from being used to finance the projects.

In a statement Tuesday, Mr. Russell said the issuance of tax-free bonds to pay for stadiums distorts the goal of helping municipalities pay for infrastructure projects. He said the issue has more urgency given the recent protests.

An Obama administration proposal to repeal the tax break for pro sports stadiums would have raised $542 million over a decade, according to a Treasury Department estimate in 2016.

And then:
While ending the tax exemption for sports stadiums would be a blow to NFL franchise owners, Mr. Trump’s broader tax proposals could mean a much bigger benefit for them.

For instance, Mr. Trump wants to set a top tax rate of 25% on so-called pass-through income of businesses, down from today’s top rate of 39.6%. That is a structure that sports teams commonly use. Depending on how the rules are written, they could see smaller tax bills on their annual income.

Mr. Trump also wants to repeal the estate tax, which would help sports owners. The president has pointed to the one-year repeal of the estate tax in 2010 as helping the Steinbrenner family, owners of the New York Yankees.

“When George Steinbrenner died, like with the estate taxes, the estate paid nothing,” Mr. Trump said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal in July. “And if he would have died like two weeks later, they would have paid 50% of the Yankees.”

Mr. Steinbrenner died in July 2010, months before the repeal expired and a new 55% rate was scheduled to take effect on Jan. 1, 2011; that rate was later set by Congress at 35% for 2011. Forbes estimated his net worth at $1.1 billion when he died, meaning the lack of an estate tax potentially saved his heirs hundreds of millions of dollars.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-puts-spotlight-on-sports-tax-breaks-1507660681
Well done, Sir. Commendable.

The root problem for the NFL here is greed. Making a ton of money from football alone wasn't enough. Instead they have to try to get every little edge they can, such as getting the public like the NFL just a little bit more by playing the NA before each game, thereby squeaking 0.00001% more from the fans than they're already getting. But once you do that someone can against it by kneeling during the NA instead of stand and then people yell back, then more people kneel or lock arms or whatever, then the POTUS chimes in and it all becomes a giant circus.

If the NFL never played the NA before games or if they played it before the players took the field then nobody would even have noticed. But no, they had to try to get that extra juice of having people saying "Look at Peyton Manning respectfully standing during the NA, it makes me like the NFL a little bit more." Greedy.

And now throw the NAACP's two cents in. Link

""Jerry Jones' comments are more than tone-deaf, more than misinformed and misguided - they are a public commitment by an NFL owner to violate his players' Constitutional right to free speech - one of the principles on which our nation was founded," said Tony Covington, the NAACP's Senior Director of Corporate Affairs at the NAACP."

Dear Senior Director Covington:

No matter how hard he might try, Jerry Jones cannot violate one of his players' Constitutional rights.

I believe Jerry Jones has the right to ask his players to stand during the anthem. He is stupid to ask, but he has the right.to imo. Goddell has no right and is absolutely stupid to attempt to put out a league wide stance on the subject of standing for the anthem. These are smart men. Why they don't understand basic fundamentals of why the players are doing what they are doing is beyond me. I understand you right wing nuts not understanding and repeating foolishness like Pence did this weekend when he walkedout but not these smart business people in the league like the NFL with a Players association and limited talent field in order for the owners to make money.

Should.

Just like the current wording in the existing player conduct guide.

Should.
Hahahahha

Quick, post some more attendance figures for us while discounting TV ratings and overwhelming public sentiment.

An interesting point that I read tonight, because of this being skylighted by Trump, it will shift the focus of this from a divisive act, to actual action into the black communities. At the end of the day, isn't THAT what is most important?

Hahahahha

Quick, post some more attendance figures for us while discounting TV ratings and overwhelming public sentiment.

An interesting point that I read tonight, because of this being skylighted by Trump, it will shift the focus of this from a divisive act, to actual action into the black communities. At the end of the day, isn't THAT what is most important?

Tv ratings are up, sweety.

I believe Jerry Jones has the right to ask his players to stand during the anthem. He is stupid to ask, but he has the right.to imo. Goddell has no right and is absolutely stupid to attempt to put out a league wide stance on the subject of standing for the anthem. These are smart men. Why they don't understand basic fundamentals of why the players are doing what they are doing is beyond me. I understand you right wing nuts not understanding and repeating foolishness like Pence did this weekend when he walkedout but not these smart business people in the league like the NFL with a Players association and limited talent field in order for the owners to make money.
Goodell speaks for ownership. He certainly has the right to demand anything that doesn't violate the labor contract.

There is a reason that Goodell and the owners are looking to require standing for the anthem. Trump won the debate. Ratings are down significantly.

There is a reason that Goodell and the owners are looking to require standing for the anthem. Trump won the debate. Ratings are down significantly.

1. Should, not require.
2. Trump is a loser.
3. Ratings aren't down significantly, your own link even shows that.

You are even dumber than I thought you were. As Tillerson would say, moron.

The NFL will be just fine, sweety.

1. Should, not require.
2. Trump is a loser.
3. Ratings aren't down significantly, your own link even shows that.

You are even dumber than I thought you were. As Tillerson would say, moron.

The NFL will be just fine, sweety.
You said ratings are up. The NFL said their ratings are down significantly

Cuntrywrong again. You lying sack of shit.

You said ratings were not down. The NFL said their ratings are down significantly

Cuntrywrong again. You lying sack of shit.

Television ratings for the NFL’s Week 3 games were up 3% across all games from 2016, including a spike of 63% in the rating for Monday Night Football, the league announced Tuesday morning.

Idiot.

Television ratings for the NFL’s Week 3 games were up 3% across all games from 2016, including a spike of 63% in the rating for Monday Night Football, the league announced Tuesday morning.

Idiot.
Double down dumbass. You saw the link. Ratings are down. Either admit you were wrong or eat shit. Either way you are wrong again.

Countrywrong said ratings were up. Facts suggest otherwise. Instead of shamefully admitting being wrong double down dumbass keeps posting cherrypicked data.

Just admit you are wrong and end the charade.

Last edited:
Snaring a 7.0 in metered market results, MNF was down double digits from last week's Kansas City Chiefs win over the Washington Redskins.

Now that the cash register is taking a hit, "we believe everyone should stand for the National Anthem". These Wingnuts are more entertaining than the actual games.

Thought the same thing. Had no idea their demos skewed so old.
I don't agree with the idea that the NFL is screwed but yes, the millenials do not watch sports on TV nor do they even have a TV service whether it is cable or dish or whatever. The NFL is in the same boat as almost every other type of show that has invested a great deal on live TV exposure. On a different viewpoint, millenials are supportive of the "kneeling" and 1st amendment rights of the players versus these kooks that are taking the Trump approach on the Anthem protest. So, the decline in that demo has nothing to do with the right wing approach of taking away constitutional rights.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
I don't agree with the idea that the NFL is screwed but yes, the millenials do not watch sports on TV nor do they even have a TV service whether it is cable or dish or whatever. The NFL is in the same boat as almost every other type of show that has invested a great deal on live TV exposure. On a different viewpoint, millenials are supportive of the "kneeling" and 1st amendment rights of the players versus these kooks that are taking the Trump approach on the Anthem protest. So, the decline in that demo has nothing to do with the right wing approach of taking away constitutional rights.
I would agree, liberal millennials are for the players, this week. Then when the next outrageous thing happens that they need to feign outrage about, they'll forget all about this one. They're a bit like Cunty and yourself, its just about opposing Trump.

And make no mistake, there are plenty of conservative millenials, so much so that I'm actually shocked by it. Maybe it's just that I work in a conservative industry and that's all I'm around.

I would agree, liberal millennials are for the players, this week. Then when the next outrageous thing happens that they need to feign outrage about, they'll forget all about this one. They're a bit like Cunty and yourself, its just about opposing Trump.

And make no mistake, there are plenty of conservative millenials, so much so that I'm actually shocked by it. Maybe it's just that I work in a conservative industry and that's all I'm around.

Kind of like yourself and everyone else who were just here to oppose Obama.......(you forgot that part).......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT