ADVERTISEMENT

Give the team back to Huggins

he never was the best recruiter..that would be JB..when JB came from Richmond he brought J. Herber, JD Collins, and Patty B with him..also recruited
R Summers
W Smith
J Alexander
Mazzula
Pittsnogle
D Fisher
F Young
Ruoff
Gansey (TR)
D Nichols

he never was the best recruiter..that would be JB..when JB came from Richmond he brought J. Herber, JD Collins, and Patty B with him..also recruited
R Summers
W Smith
J Alexander
Mazzula
Pittsnogle
D Fisher
F Young
Ruoff
Gansey (TR)
D Nichols
None of those guys were top recruits. So I wouldn’t call him a “great” recruiter. Now he did develop them. I would have agreed with that. But it was also Huggins who took Mazzulla and Butler to that next level of development.

players don't change that much from what they are in high school...Belien just identified talent better than Huggins.. point blank....his Richmond team blew us out in the NIT tourney by over 20 pts a year before he was hired

players don't change that much from what they are in high school...Belien just identified talent better than Huggins.. point blank....his Richmond team blew us out in the NIT tourney by over 20 pts a year before he was hired
I would take Huggins over JB every time.

Bob Huggins is a hall of fame coach. WVU doesnt have many of those. Gordon Gee is a hall of lame president. If I were Huggs WVU would not be on my radar at all...

And let's move on shall we. He is the GOAT!!! He's improved himself and deserves his team back!!!!

What is he going to do? At this point in the season no one is going to fix this team's problems and Huggins is a 70 year old man going into next season. He had his last shot this year with the class he brought in before summer started and he pissed it all away. Huggins time as a HC is over. Maybe he can rehab into a ceremonial role with the team or something. But even if admin did let him be HC again, I don't think he has what it takes to bring in a class and outdo his best teams of the last 10-12 years as a 70 year old man already declining over the last 4 or so seasons.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Glad the board has come around on this, we need to make it right in some way shape or form. Idk if coaching here again is in the cards, but it shouldn’t be off the table. This program has been burnt down to the ground, if there is some way to get some good vibes back we should do it.

He should have never been fired but I think he would say no at this point. And if they offer I hope he tells them to f**k off. He may as well take the Pitt job. WVU cut their nose off to spite their face and anytime someone does thst is stupid. They have to take the pill now and fans have to suffer through whatever they decide. Throwaway season with the best roster wvu ever had maybe ever, and may never have a roster like we had last summer again ever. Good call geniuses....

Last edited:
R Summers
W Smith
J Alexander
Mazzula
Pittsnogle
D Fisher
F Young
Ruoff
Gansey (TR)
D Nichols
But Bob Huggins made them players and men.

He should have never been fired but I think he would say no at this point. And if they offer I hope he tells them to f**k off. He may as well take the Pitt job. WVU cut their nose off to spite their face and anytime someone does thst is stupid. They have to take the pill now and fans have to suffer through whatever they decide. Throwaway season with the best roster wvu ever had maybe ever, and may never have a roster like we had last summer again ever. Good call geniuses....
He was told not to embarrass the university again. Well he failed.

Huggins last 5 years, 90-73 (35-54) and plenty of bourbons.

WVU will never ask him back and Pitt will never hire him. Huggins best hope is FCS or division 2 or 3. Personally think he's done for P5 and D1.

WVU will never ask him back and Pitt will never hire him. Huggins best hope is FCS or division 2 or 3. Personally think he's done for P5 and D1.
If I were Huggins I would start a politically incorrect sports podcast. I think it would be a huge hit. That's just my opinion, but he seems to want to coach still so it is what it is.

Personally I would love to have him back and finish his career out at WVU but the drama and divided fan base wouldnt be worth it. Too much drama would just be a distraction. Hoppy would never allow it lol. He loathes Huggins.

WVU will never ask him back and Pitt awill never hire him. Huggins best hope is FCS or division 2 or 3. Personally think he's done for P5 and D1.

This. The fact that not even the best basketball coach in the world could not salvage this season at this point aside, what do people see in Huggins recent tenure that makes then so cocksure that he is going to do great things next year or the year after? Hell even if none of the summer incidents occurred and Huggins was coaching the great on paper roster, there is a chance he is only marginally better than the last 3 years. Has Huggins ever coached an NCAA tournament team capable of making run not built around guys he seasoned within his program? Has he shown any track record of taking talented guys as they are and making a plan to maximize that talent for one year as opposed to his normal MO of molding talent to fit his system?

So even if Huggins was brought back right now, who knows if next year would be better than with a new hire since both would be starting with a pretty bare roster? There is no guarantee he gets the roster he had before his big fvck up and there is no guarantee that he uses that roster effectively even if he does get it as it is outside of the wheelhouse he built that HoF career on.

Has he shown any track record of taking talented guys as they are and making a plan to maximize that talent for one year as opposed to his normal MO of molding talent to fit his system?
The only one close to that would be Joe Alexander. JB had him in the doghouse and Huggins lit the fire in him to the NBA draft choice in one season.

The rest I agree with.

Not going down the road again of what should and shouldn’t have happened but he will find a midmajor job if he seeks it.

Glad the board has come around on this, we need to make it right in some way shape or form. Idk if coaching here again is in the cards, but it shouldn’t be off the table. This program has been burnt down to the ground, if there is some way to get some good vibes back we should do it.
The board hasn't come around on this...just a few low IQ morons like yourself and the other goof.

• Haha
Reactions: xWVU2010x
I always enjoy coming back to read your stupidity...you never fail me in that regard.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Not going down the road again of what should and shouldn’t have happened but he will find a midmajor job if he seeks it.
Would have to be a team in desperation mode like Iona hiring 68 year old Pitino who was there for 3 years. St. Johns then hired the stripper prostitute king at the age of 71.

Huggins looks the best he has looked in ages. Hope it's because he's given up the bottle or he will end up the same as before.

Would have to be a team in desperation mode like Iona hiring 68 year old Pitino who was there for 3 years. St. Johns then hired the stripper prostitute king at the age of 71.

Huggins looks the best he has looked in ages. Hope it's because he's given up the bottle or he will end up the same as before.
Iona was not in “desperation mode” lol any of the schools at that level would take a high profile coach like that if there is mutual interest as it greatly raises the school’s profile which is why those schools even field teams to begin with. Iona actually is the most successful team in their conference and would have continued on that path with or without Pitino in all likelihood. With Pitino at SJU, I would imagine that emboldens similar schools that are former powers that have fallen on hard times to take the chance. I can see schools like DePaul, Temple, Butler take a shot and if not one of those fringe power conference teams then schools on the tier of Iona would line up to take him if he wanted the job.

Last edited:
Iona was not in “desperation mode” lol any of the schools at that level would take a high profile coach like that if there is mutual interest as it greatly raises the school’s profile which is why those schools even field teams to begin with. Iona actually is the most successful team in their conference and would have continued on that path with or without Pitino in all likelihood. With Pitino at SJU, I would imagine that emboldens similar schools that are former powers that have fallen on hard times to take the chance. I can see schools like DePaul, Temple, Butler take a shot and if not one of those fringe power conference teams then schools on the tier of Iona would line up to take him if he wanted the job.
Huggins failed to "FIX IT" for the last 5 seasons. There is nothing he would be able to do differently than current staff has done. He might be 9-11 instead of 7-13.

Iona combined tournament record is 1–16. Iona's only NCAA Tournament victory to date, which took place in 1980, was vacated by the NCAA due to their star Center, Jeff Ruland, having signed a contract with an agent. Their NIT record is 1-7.

SJU doesn't scream power team. They had a few good years and couple titles. They've done nothing for 30 to 40 years now.
Best Record - Season: 27-3 (1978-79)
Most Wins - Season: 27 (1978-79)
Best Winning %: .900 (1978-79)

I don't see Huggins going anywhere. If he does you're more than welcome to follow him.

Has he shown any track record of taking talented guys as they are and making a plan to maximize that talent for one year as opposed to his normal MO of molding talent to fit his system?
The only one close to that would be Joe Alexander. JB had him in the doghouse and Huggins lit the fire in him to the NBA draft choice in one season.

The rest I agree with.

Huggins failed to "FIX IT" for the last 5 seasons. There is nothing he would be able to do differently than current staff has done. He might be 9-11 instead of 7-13.
Success here = making the NCAAT. That has been our historical barometer of success for basically our entire history post Jerry West. Had it not been for Covid cancelling a postseason he would have achieved that goal 3 out of the last 5 seasons, including 12 of 16 total seasons here. Idk what your definition of “fix it” is, mine is making the tournament. We don’t have a complete disaster of “who is staying who is going” with zero chemistry and a coach with no experience molding teams as a head man trying to get them to play together if we just suspended him for a few OOC games.

Iona combined tournament record is 1–16. Iona's only NCAA Tournament victory to date, which took place in 1980, was vacated by the NCAA due to their star Center, Jeff Ruland, having signed a contract with an agent. Their NIT record is 1-7.
Iona is a low major, they play in a high school sized gym against other schools with high school sized gyms. Each team’s holy grail outside of rare occasions is getting their name called on selection Sunday and of the team’s in that conference Iona achieves that the most. They didn’t “need” Pitino, but it sure gave their little band box sized program some notoriety for a few years. Idk what you are trying to prove posting their NCAA record as if it’s relevant, it’s a one bid league, most of the conference’s NCAAT wins probably came from that miracle St. Peter’s run.

SJU doesn't scream power team. They had a few good years and couple titles. They've done nothing for 30 to 40 years now.
SJU is a dormant program but does play in a power conference albeit the least notable one, and has historical brand recognition. Idk what you’re getting at here. You don’t think DePaul would roll the dice here? They’re like SJU’s Midwest twin.

I don't see Huggins going anywhere. If he does you're more than welcome to follow him.
If you are right, it’s because Huggins does not want to coach anywhere else because if you can’t imagine one of the 350 or so D1 basketball programs passing on a HOF coach who has 900+ wins and his last game was in the NCAA Tournament, then you just don’t know this sport… lol somebody hired Larry Brown not long ago.

Last edited:

Dude lol. Seriously? You're comparing a Hall Of Fame coach to a guy who never coached. I'm telling you, WVU basketball may never be the same, ever. If Huggs was coach we would be in the top 25 right now with the roster we have and would've had. He's not in the HOF for his looks, and I think there are a lot of fans who still have to learn that, because their emotions work better than their brains. Huggs is not only a great coach but a good man who did more than any other coach ever will for WVU basketball. You will never find another coach who will put in the time and effort into building up WVU basketball and WV's people than Bob Huggins did. Its almost like some of you idiots forgot, or never paid attention in the first place. You're being reminded now though, and it will continue unless Baker hits a home run with the new hire. Revisit this post in 3 years. Dumbasses

Last edited:
Dude lol. Seriously? You're comparing a Hall Of Fame coach to a guy who never coached. I'm telling you, WVU basketball may never be the same, ever. If Huggs was coach we would be in the top 25 right now with the roster we have and would've had. He's not in the HOF for his looks, and I think there are a lot of fans who still have to learn that, because their emotions work better than their brains. Huggs is not only a great coach but a good man who did more than any other coach ever will for WVU basketball. You will never find another coach who will put in the time and effort into building up WVU basketball and WV's people than Bob Huggins did. Its almost like some of you idiots forgot, or never paid attention in the first place. You're being reminded now though, and it will continue unless Baker hits a home run with the new hire. Revisit this post in 3 years. Dumbasses
There is a good chance that we don’t see a tournament in the next 5 years, and if we do there is an equally good chance that coach will be credited with a miraculous turnaround and pack their bags for somewhere else.

There is a good chance that we don’t see a tournament in the next 5 years, and if we do there is an equally good chance that coach will be credited with a miraculous turnaround and pack their bags for somewhere else.
Disagree with everything in this post.

I stated last month in a post "don't be surprised if Huggins returns next year as HC". I still feel this way. I don't believe that in itself will turn things around as I also agree with this roster, he wouldn't have a much better record. His departure in June led to this roster makeup but the good thing is it is fixable.

I firmly believe we will see improvement in these two games this week now we have a full roster. But we still are not a team talented enough to be a favorite against any Big12 team so winning games is going to be tough. But we will win a few more games before the tournament.

Disagree with everything in this post.

I stated last month in a post "don't be surprised if Huggins returns next year as HC". I still feel this way. I don't believe that in itself will turn things around as I also agree with this roster, he wouldn't have a much better record. His departure in June led to this roster makeup but the good thing is it is fixable.

I firmly believe we will see improvement in these two games this week now we have a full roster. But we still are not a team talented enough to be a favorite against any Big12 team so winning games is going to be tough. But we will win a few more games before the tournament.
Huggins isn’t coming back… it’s pretty telling that no one in the AD has so much as spoken to him other than through lawyers since the DUI. Gee got what he wanted, unless he goes before the hiring window, we will take Gee’s handpicked puppet from a random Midwest midmajor and like it.

Huggins may not be reinstated. All I am saying is don't be surprised if he does. Personally, I would like to move on and I am one of the biggest Huggins fans out there.

obviously blind to last 5 years.

Huggins may not be reinstated. All I am saying is don't be surprised if he does. Personally, I would like to move on and I am one of the biggest Huggins fans out there.
He will not be reinstated.

Wish there was a good chance no one would have to read your posts for the next 5 years.

obviously blind to last 5 years.
No I get the last 5 years. I was down on Huggins too he's definitely not in his prime anymore and had some personnel issues, but he's still better than most coaches lol. And Leaps and Bounds better than what we have now. He's not going to be easy to replace no matter what the people who hate Huggins think. And I know damn well we're not going to find a coach who's going to personally raise millions of dollars to build a new practice facility and modernize the entire basketball program. Ain't going to happen. Huggs did more than any coach has ever done in any sport for WVU.

I don't really know why he would want to work for those idiots after what they did. Gordon gee lol? Whatever.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT