ADVERTISEMENT

Gibson

UGA's D looked a lot worse against OU and Mel Tucker is considered a top DC...

They had multiple NFL players on that team.

Until the mediocre head coach comes to the realization that Gibby's gimmicky defense we will never stop Oklahoma or any other decent offense and we'll never sniff the Big XII championship. Here are the startling numbers of WVU with Gibby's version of the Gimmicky 3-3-5 against Oklahoma:

Games: 5
Touchdowns Allowed: 33 (22 in the last 3 games)
Punts Forced: 19 (3 in the last 3 games)
Takeaways: 8
Fourth-down stops: 2

Not good. Not good at all. Need to scrap the gimmick defense and start playing a 4-man front with real pass rushers.

Last edited:
In order to win, you have to take away something. Either stop the run or the pass. Tonight, we did neither. Look, we are playing with Zach Sandwhich. Bless him, he tries, but he can't move in space. Put Stills down on the line, play a 4 man front, and hopefully stop the runs for 15 yards a pop, when they weren't going for 50. If it doesn't work, at least you tried to fix something instead of waiting on a prayer.

I said after last week we need to ship his ass out of town this week just confirmed it. The 335 sucks and no one knows how to make adjustments when offenses are rolling right through it giving up 8 to 10 yards a play two weeks in a row and over 100 points is insanity. And don't get me started on the Iowa State game.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
I should be angry but I'm not. I resigned myself to this after last week. Well, really after the Texass game but especially last week.

I knew better than to trust a Gibson led defense. I started to about mid-season. I wanted to badly. But, reality set in yet again.

Please hit reset on this. Please. We did it when DeForest was crapping the bed. We've got to do it again.

Throw big money at Chad Morriss. Buy Bud Foster a mountain of cocaine. Hire Pride304 and let him handpick his defensive staff from the high schools of Marion County. Anything is better than this...

I'll defend him, dammit.

However, his defense hasn't led to a winning verdict in a big time case in a long time.

With me defending him, he'd screw up the defense strategy anyway.

Ahhh, lets face it. He's getting the chair.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
I should be angry but I'm not. I resigned myself to this after last week. Well, really after the Texass game but especially last week.

I knew better than to trust a Gibson led defense. I started to about mid-season. I wanted to badly. But, reality set in yet again.

Please hit reset on this. Please. We did it when DeForest was crapping the bed. We've got to do it again.

Throw big money at Chad Morriss. Buy Bud Foster a mountain of cocaine. Hire Pride304 and let him handpick his defensive staff from the high schools of Marion County. Anything is better than this...

Chad Morris
14-22 SMU
2-10 Arkansas
16-32 as a HC.

Georgia forced 7 punts in that Rose Bowl game and we've forced 3 in 3 years against Oklahoma.

Hate to tell you but no one on your team would see the field at UGA...

WV did a great job....
Except going after Kyler.

I thought y'all would be more aggressive.
I think Gibson can be faulted for not trusting his D to make the plays and keep Murray contained

Reactions: HerdFanInClt
We need a new DC......he has got to go!!!![/Our coaches do not teach the basics: tackling is a farce (most tackles are above the waist - Askew Henry's being the exception), players do not hold their positions (read option), leaving receivers wide open in the end zone, playing too far off the ball on third and short and far too many dumb penalties with one that really hurt being on the offense. Won't even mention being able to make the right adjustments. Maybe tomorrow I will really tell you what I think of our defense!!!

Reactions: Wvu21795
So Michigan should fire Don Brown because Ohio St will score probably 60 on them.

Michigan has nothing but elite talent including 4 future NFL starters

So Michigan should fire Don Brown because Ohio St will score probably 60 on them.

Michigan has nothing but elite talent including 4 future NFL starters

Your argument is flawed because Gibson is garbage. The Michigan DC is a discussion on its own.

Your argument is flawed because Gibson is garbage. The Michigan DC is a discussion on its own.

No...

WV attempted to outgun Oklahoma.

This caused a lot more possessions that led to yards and points.

Gibson isn't totally at fault.

He doesn't have the athletes to play at that level.
You have to be 2-3 deep at every position.

Texas figured that out. Why they have taken a couple of losses to build depth.
It started to work the last two weeks.

No...

WV attempted to outgun Oklahoma.

This caused a lot more possessions that led to yards and points.

Gibson isn't totally at fault.

He doesn't have the athletes to play at that level.
You have to be 2-3 deep at every position.

Texas figured that out. Why they have taken a couple of losses to build depth.
It started to work the last two weeks.

You are without question the biggest moron ever to post on this site. Are all Texass fans as stupid as you are? There is nothing worse than band geek fans like you that explain silver lining fake news. Your post is gold pal. Man are you a geek. Wait are you Gibby’s Agent?

When you can't cover WRs one on one you have to put more in coverage.

More men you have off the LOS the more the run will hurt you with an OLine that gets a push.

It wasn't Gibson's scheme it was his lack of aggressiveness because of the lack of elite talent to cover two WRs that run sub 4.4

Brown runs a sub 4.3 40 and is strong.

When you can't cover WRs one on one you have to put more in coverage.

More men you have off the LOS the more the run will hurt you with an OLine that gets a push.

It wasn't Gibson's scheme it was his lack of aggressiveness because of the lack of elite talent to cover two WRs that run sub 4.4

Brown runs a sub 4.3 40 and is strong.

Ok moron you should a have been a coach haha

I would love to hear who you think is an elite DC....

Because all of them at some time have been torched.

Especially old school ones like John Chavis.
Chavis for most of the 2000's was considered to be an elite DC
Not so much anymore

Will Muschamp is another.
He is giving up 50+ points to Clemson
S Carolina D is pretty much his.

I would love to hear who you think is an elite DC....

Because all of them at some time have been torched.

Especially old school ones like John Chavis.
Chavis for most of the 2000's was considered to be an elite DC
Not so much anymore

Will Muschamp is another.
He is giving up 50+ points to Clemson
S Carolina D is pretty much his.

I don’t talk serious football with idiot fan geeks like you pal. I just swing for the fences and giggle til my ribs hurt.

Pro quality defensive linemen seem to be the only thing capable of stifling a competent spread attack on a regular basis. We can change out Gibby for sure and go to a 3-4, 4-3 or whatever...but we need for the defensive side of the ball to get the recruiting emphasis for a while. I don't really care if we lose Gibby or keep him but quality and depth have to be the goal because 90+ snaps will tire out most anybody. Is our strength and conditioning coach a little to blame for this? Is the offensive pace of play a little to blame for this? I'd say there are a ton of reasons why our defense is iffy and although he is one of them, Gibson is not THE reason. We did put 47 on TCU and Gary Patterson is a defensive-minded coach.

Run back to the Pitt board, son

Your team was absolutely embarrassed.

Funny thing is that the DC at Miami is another that was exposed in the Big XII in Manny Diaz
Looks great against trash like Pitt

It’s not the scheme that bothers me. Run 3 or 4 down lineman...blitz your heart out or drop 11...don’t care. What’s important is having defensive players that can shed and get off blocks. Wrap up and tackle instead of dipping a shoulder and hoping you knock the guy down. Take a pursuit angle that will enable you to catch a ball carrier. Actually be within 5 yards of a receiver. I swear I can’t remember seeing a secondary this bad. It comes down to fundamentals. We don’t have any. This is nothing new....it’s been happening for a while now and there is no improvement.

It comes down to elite speed...
OU's WRs have it and most secondaries do not.

After the RRS Texas made sure they recruited DBs that can keep up with those type of WRs.

Nothing to do with coaching but personal

It comes down to elite speed...
OU's WRs have it and most secondaries do not.

After the RRS Texas made sure they recruited DBs that can keep up with those type of WRs.

Nothing to do with coaching but personal

Look everyone! This Texass geek thinks we care what Texass is doing. What a lonesome loser he is haha. Adorable! Geek you’re gold to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT