ADVERTISEMENT

Gee: Big 12 puts expansion on hold

I just like having 10 schools. I am not of the camp that says we should only expand if we can get teams like Clemson and FSU. The Big12 is hard enough to win in already. I am unapologetic about liking the round robin format and I do not claim to see the future. You can only plan for the future, not predict it. If they have to expand, I'd prefer teams close to WVU that might end up in our win column. FSU meets neither of those requirements and Clemson isn't exactly close. There may or may not be enough evidence for those within the Big12 to make the decision to expand. No amount of arguing on this message board will change the information they review or affect each schools self interest and built in bias. We are just pissing in the wind.

I see no benefit to having only 10 schools and it hasn't been good for the BIG 12.

Soon the big Ten will also play a 9 game schedule and the PAC already does. If the BIG 12 adds two schools and keeps playing the 9 game schedule and the SEC and ACC are then made to play a 9 game schedule, everyone is pretty even going into the playoffs. SOS really comes into play which makes for better OOC competition.

You'll still meet old conference members every couple of years.

Did you did you not just state this:
"The next logical move is to reach 16-20 programs expanding their territory and content for their network while working towards 4 divisions, and semi final conference game."

Well hate to break it to you but that is coming from you, not somewhere else. YOU are saying that's the next logical move, not anyone else. So don't be mad when someone points that out. No one in any conference is saying that's the "next logical move".

Stating such personal opinions as facts makes everything you say irrelevant and shows that you base what you say not on facts but only your personal beliefs. Getting belligerent anytime someone points that out simply makes things worse.

OK let me just say this as nice as I can. Do you just want to argue or are you really so thickheaded to even attempt to read what others post? What is it you can't grasp between a statement of belief vs a statement of preference? Again, is it just because all your statements are based on your wants? Just because I believe something will happen, it does not mean it is what I want to happen.

Maybe I can have Michael translate this if you still can't comprehend the difference.

OK let me just say this as nice as I can. Do you just want to argue or are you really so thickheaded to even attempt to read what others post? What is it you can't grasp between a statement of belief vs a statement of preference? Again, is it just because all your statements are based on your wants? Just because I believe something will happen, it does not mean it is what I want to happen.

Maybe I can have Michael translate this if you still can't comprehend the difference.

I'm not the one arguing-YOU are. Belligerence with every post. You again are the one making absolute statements based on your beliefs--your "wants" rather than facts. If you don't want someone responding to that then simple, don't post your opinions as facts.

Texas is a plum but may not be interested, Oklahoma may be interested but not as much of a plum as others potentially on the table. And, if they decide that keeping the BIG12 together is in their best interests, they aren't going anywhere. Kansas would be a decent, and logical get for the BIG but there are more interesting choices out there. Virginia and North Carolina are two states with much bigger populations that are also on the radar of the SEC and the BIG and would fit within their geography and profile. Whether UVA or UNC or Duke could be convinced to leave the ACC is an entirely different matter. VT would jump at the chance, and NC State might jump at the chance but these losses would only wound the ACC. So it's not solely about who the BIG10 and the SEC wants, it is a question of who is most willing to leave what they have, not just in terms of money but power, influence and tradition. WVU would be interested, PITT and Syracuse would be interested. I think Clemson and FSU could be interested. Out of those, I think only Pitt actually has a chance of an invite and only from the BIG, and not a very good chance at that. UVA, UNC, maybe Duke, Oklahoma, Texas and Notre Dame are the only defections that would cause earthquakes. Clemson and FSU and even GT would be big news but they don't realistically have a chance at either the SEC or the BIG10. To date, the only schools who have changed conferences were teams that were EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED with their conference affiliation. Only Oklahoma is making noises like this right now that I know of, so we'll see.

Very good and reasonable post. Pitt will never overcome PSU for any interest from Big10. And I can tell you with certainty that Pitt is extremely happy in the ACC. Even if a couple schools from ACC defect Pitt isn't going anywhere.

Perhaps it is a homer view, but I do not think so. Is my projection going to happen? It is not a sure thing but is it possible? Yes.

The reverse view does not hold the same level of probability. Texas is not leaving the Big-12 because the Big-12 is Texas. Texas knows that if it goes to any other conference it's days at the top of the conference calling the shots are over and the only thing bigger than the state of Texas is the pride of Texans. They would go broke before they lost their pride. Texas is not going any where.

Oklahoma does not really want to leave, which is why Boren makes such a display of it. Oklahoma wants a Big-12 that dilutes Texas' power over the conference by expanding outside of Texas and brings about the currently accepted stable format - a 12+ team conference with a CCG and a network. I can't fault Oklahoma for holding that view. Is it necessary to have those aspects to be a stable conference? No, but it gives the appearance of a stable conference and sometimes style has more value than substance.

People like to wring their hands over conference defections, but how and where would any defector go? A threat to leave is only valid if the member leaving has a place to go. Oklahoma is a great product but OSU isn't and one can't go without the other. Texas isn't leaving for the reason I stated above.

The only school that could defect and be replaced in the Big-12 the next day by Houston would be WVU. In spite of many reason why WVU works in the Big-12, WVU is an island in many ways. WVU only works long term if the Big-12 expands eastward and at present that is not officially happening.

The day is coming when the majority of the institutions that make up the P5 will form their own organization of 64 teams and all sorts of shuffling will take place. It might be 8 conferences, it might be 4, but it will set up a structure that sets it apart from those on the outside looking in. Those schools beyond 64 will likely be formed into another group of 64 and that will take care of most of the athletic bound universities across the nation.

I try to work trends not homerism, but you opinion is obviously different on this matter.

Fair and reasonable post. Thanks.

Very good and reasonable post. Pitt will never overcome PSU for any interest from Big10. And I can tell you with certainty that Pitt is extremely happy in the ACC. Even if a couple schools from ACC defect Pitt isn't going anywhere.

Pitt doesn't have anywhere to go... ...so yea, you're right.

I'm not the one arguing-YOU are. Belligerence with every post. You again are the one making absolute statements based on your beliefs--your "wants" rather than facts. If you don't want someone responding to that then simple, don't post your opinions as facts.
you are in idiot, beliefs does not equal "wants"

"topdecktiger"No, you are wrong. The scenario you laid out is completely inaccurate.

ESPN has a television contract with the SEC to carry a certain number of games per season on ABC, ESPN and the various ESPN channels. CBS also has a contract with the SEC to carry certain games and they have the pick of the top game each week. The inventory NOT included in this contract is left over for the SEC network. It's really not hard to understand and there is no reason for you trying to spin the facts other than--you are wrong and know it.

No, see that's wrong. All the SEC's inventory is included in the ESPN contract (aside from the CBS game). The SEC does not have a separate contract for their network. They have only one contract with ESPN, and all the inventory is included in that one contract. The SEC's inventory is not split into two separate piles, where one group only goes to ESPN and the other group only goes to SECN. All the SEC's inventory (again save the CBS game) is in one pile, and ESPN can put any game on any platform.

B: ESPN signed a deal with the SEC in 2013 which created the SEC network. Their previous deal did not include either the inventory from SEC schools tier 3 deals, or the inventory Missouri and Texas A&M brought to the table. With that new inventory, ESPN is able to have enough to keep a certain amount of SEC product on their networks, and still put a certain amount of product on the SEC network. That is how it is done.

Here's a quote from ESPN's John Skipper from 2013
"We have between six and 13 more games to pick from each week," ESPN President John Skipper said.

It doesn't matter if its "in two separate piles" or not--the point is that there is now inventory there to put on their network that did NOT exist prior to that. The 45 games are NOT from their pre existing agreements.

ESPN has CONTRACTED ACC games A (ESPN), B(ESPN2), C (ESPNU), and D(ESPN News) every week that fit into a number of slots that ESPN MUST BY CONTRACT put on each of these platforms.

What you are fabricating is that the ACC can TAKE games from ESPN from B(ESPN2), C (ESPNU), and D(ESPN News) every week and put them on an ACC Network-- because ESPN already owns them.

No, again you are completely wrong. If a games goes on an ACC network, that game is not TAKEN from ESPN. ESPN would own the ACC network. The ACC network would be one of ESPN's channels, just like ESPNU. Let's take a football game between North Carolina and Georgia Tech. Right now, ESPN can put that game on any platform: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or ESPNNews. If the ACC had a network, that ESPN would have the same options for this UNC/GT game: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews, or an ACCN. This is EXACTLY how the SECN works now. ESPN can take any SEC game it owns, and put it on any platform: ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNNews, or SECN.

B: No its not exactly how the SEC network works right now. You are getting caught up in selections. Selections isn't the issue --it is INVENTORY. The additional game inventory of the ACC is with Raycom and FOX now-NOT ESPN. So if ESPN takes a game off of their networks and moves it to the ACCN--they now have a hole in their schedule where that ACC game was on one of their platforms. With the SEC there is NO hole, because there is more than enough inventory to put on all the games they can on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU etc. With the ACC--unless the rights come back from Raycom--that eliminates a game ESPN had to put on those platforms that they must fill with someone else's product--AND they are moving said game to point A to point B with no gain--and probably a financial loss since it will be distributed to fewer homes on an ACC network.

What you are ignoring in this fabricated premise is that if ESPN moves the games B(ESPN2), C (ESPNU), and D(ESPN News) every week to the ACC network--its the same exact product for them. They aren't getting anything new for putting them on the ACC network that they didn't already get

No, this is again inaccurate. ESPN gets to charge cable providers for an additional subscription fee for an ACC network. They don't get to do that now. The subscription fee for the network would be additional income for ESPN. Again, this is exactly how both the SECN and LHN work.

B: Yes, they'll charge a subscription fee for an ACC network--but now they've taken games they were monetizing OFF their primary platforms and moved them to fewer viewers(and payers) on an ACC network. Where does the money that they made for those games on ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN News go? That's right-it doesn't exist for ESPN anymore. They SHIFTED inventory with your premise, they havent ADDED anything. And now, ESPN must fill all the holes created on ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN News with someone else's inventory that THEY MUST PAY FOR. Which means ESPN loses money.

ESPN would now have holes to fill on ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN News every week. So they would have to pay someone else for inventory to fill those holes and would lose money while the ACC gained ACC network money.

No, this is again false. ESPN already has more inventory than they can broadcast. You can realistically only broadcast 3 games on one particular platform: a noon game, an afternoon game, and a night game. Even with ESPN's several channels, that's only 15-20 games at best. Plus, you are forgetting that ESPN has other contracts, such as MLB or NASCAR, that they also televise on Saturdays, so ESPN is not exhausting its inventory of games. Also, by your logic, ESPN had the same problem with the SECN. That took away 2 or 3 games a week that they could have put on other platforms, yet ESPN still went ahead with the network anyway.

B: It's not false at all. ESPN does not already have more ACC inventory than they can broadcast. Everything they didn't want or didn't have space for they licensed to Raycom. If you are claiming otherwise lets look it up. Tell us--what 30 plus football games from the ACC did ESPN NOT put on one of their platforms or was not on the Raycom or FOX package? Can't wait for this answer.

In reality, the games the ACC has that are the added inventory of expanding to 14 are now carried by RAYCOM (Swoffords son's company) and FOX which aquired the rights from Raycom. Raycom owns the rights to 31 football games and 60 men’s basketball games. Raycom sublicensed 17 football games and 25 basketball games to Fox, which puts the games on its rsn's. No negotiations are underway or expected to get those rights back.

No, again you are wrong. Every ACC game ESPN owns can be put on the network. That's again because a network is just another ESPN channel, like ESPNU. Since ESPN owns all of these channels, they can put any content on any channel. You are also wrong about the negotiations. Just this week, Dan Radakovich was interviewed, and he said that the ACC has a consulting firm that is negotiating the network.

B: So you are claiming that ESPN hasn't sold the rights to 31 football games and 60 men's basketball games to Raycom who then sublicensed some of those to FOX? You are actually claiming this? WOW.
You don't understand inventory so you shouldn't discuss it. The ACC only has a certain number of games available to put on tv. Right now all of their games are on one of the ESPN platforms or the Raycom sindicated package or a FOX rsn. There is NO additional inventory. If ESPN takes a game from ESPN or ESPN2 or ESPNU or wherever, and instead puts it on the ACC network--then they have created a hole on ESPN2 or ESPN2 or ESPNU. They won't have made any money off of that and in fact will probably LOSE money since now they must fill that network slot with someone else's inventory they must pay another conference for.

The ONLY way the ACC is getting a network is if they get back the inventory from Raycom and FOX and no one is negotiating any such thing. Dan Radakovich -Clemson's AD said they hope they get a really good update about an ACC network in their spring meetings and there is a sense of urgency in the conference as they worry about falling behind other conferences. Doesn't sound like much in the works still.

B: ESPN signed a deal with the SEC in 2013 which created the SEC network. Their previous deal did not include either the inventory from SEC schools tier 3 deals, or the inventory Missouri and Texas A&M brought to the table. With that new inventory, ESPN is able to have enough to keep a certain amount of SEC product on their networks, and still put a certain amount of product on the SEC network. That is how it is done.

"We have between six and 13 more games to pick from each week," ESPN President John Skipper said.

It doesn't matter if its "in two separate piles" or not--the point is that there is now inventory there to put on their network that did NOT exist prior to that. The 45 games are NOT from their pre existing agreements.

Yes, part of the 45 games ARE from the pre existing agreement. There are only a limited number of games that the SEC got back. The SEC schools each had one Tier 3 games, plus the games from Missouri and Texas A&M. That’s not 45 games. Some of those 45 games had to come from the pre existing games already under contract by ESPN.

B: No its not exactly how the SEC network works right now. You are getting caught up in selections. Selections isn't the issue --it is INVENTORY. The additional game inventory of the ACC is with Raycom and FOX now-NOT ESPN. So if ESPN takes a game off of their networks and moves it to the ACCN--they now have a hole in their schedule where that ACC game was on one of their platforms. With the SEC there is NO hole, because there is more than enough inventory to put on all the games they can on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU etc. With the ACC--unless the rights come back from Raycom--that eliminates a game ESPN had to put on those platforms that they must fill with someone else's product--AND they are moving said game to point A to point B with no gain--and probably a financial loss since it will be distributed to fewer homes on an ACC network.

I’m not getting caught up in selections. You are making assumptions about my points, and not listening to what I actually say. This is why no one can have a reasonable conversation with you, because you don’t listen, and just make up whatever you believe the other person said.

I have never said the ACC will start up a network without buying back the rights to Raycom. I never said that. Go look through any post I ever made and you won’t find where I said that. What I HAVE said is that the ACC can buy back the syndication rights. The problem here is, you try to make the Racyom syndication deal into more than it is. ESPN has always syndicated games. That’s nothing new. ESPN syndicated SEC games with Comcast and Fox up until 2014, when ESPN repurchased those games for the SECN. What I’m telling you is, ESPN can repurchase the ACC games from Raycom and Fox for a network as well. Again, Raycom and Fox are just syndication contracts, like ESPN had for SEC games. There is nothing special about the Raycom contract. You keep trying to say that it is, but it simply isn’t.

B: Yes, they'll charge a subscription fee for an ACC network--but now they've taken games they were monetizing OFF their primary platforms and moved them to fewer viewers(and payers) on an ACC network. Where does the money that they made for those games on ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN News go? That's right-it doesn't exist for ESPN anymore. They SHIFTED inventory with your premise, they havent ADDED anything. And now, ESPN must fill all the holes created on ESPN2, ESPNU, and ESPN News with someone else's inventory that THEY MUST PAY FOR. Which means ESPN loses money.

This is the same thing that happens already with the SECN. Let’s take a game like Florida vs. Kentucky. In years past, that’s a game ESPN would have put on, say ESPN2. Now, that game gets moved over to SECN. Something has to replace that game on ESPN2.

B: It's not false at all. ESPN does not already have more ACC inventory than they can broadcast. Everything they didn't want or didn't have space for they licensed to Raycom. If you are claiming otherwise lets look it up. Tell us--what 30 plus football games from the ACC did ESPN NOT put on one of their platforms or was not on the Raycom or FOX package? Can't wait for this answer.

I’m talking about overall inventory, not ACC inventory. ESPN has contracts with all the FBS conferences & independents (except for Notre Dame). If they take an ACC game of ESPN2, they still have games from these other conference, which they don’t currently broadcast, they can use to fill the slots. That was what I was talking about. See, this is another example of you assuming you know what someone else was talking, when in fact you were mistaken about what they meant. This is why you should think before you shoot off your mouth.

B: So you are claiming that ESPN hasn't sold the rights to 31 football games and 60 men's basketball games to Raycom who then sublicensed some of those to FOX? You are actually claiming this? WOW.

You don't understand inventory so you shouldn't discuss it. The ACC only has a certain number of games available to put on tv. Right now all of their games are on one of the ESPN platforms or the Raycom sindicated package or a FOX rsn. There is NO additional inventory. If ESPN takes a game from ESPN or ESPN2 or ESPNU or wherever, and instead puts it on the ACC network--then they have created a hole on ESPN2 or ESPN2 or ESPNU. They won't have made any money off of that and in fact will probably LOSE money since now they must fill that network slot with someone else's inventory they must pay another conference for.

The ONLY way the ACC is getting a network is if they get back the inventory from Raycom and FOX and no one is negotiating any such thing. Dan Radakovich -Clemson's AD said they hope they get a really good update about an ACC network in their spring meetings and there is a sense of urgency in the conference as they worry about falling behind other conferences. Doesn't sound like much in the works still.

No, I did not claim that, and never have. Again, this is why you don’t assume things. You actually listen to what the other person is saying.

Here is the problem. You think the ACC (actually, it would be ESPN) can’t buy back the syndication rights. That’s simply not true. It’s common for networks to buy back syndication packages, not just in sports, but in TV in general. As I have told you numerous times, both the Big Ten and SEC had to buy back syndication packages to start their respective networks. In fact, the SEC (again, actually ESPN) had to buy back the syndication package from Fox. On top of that, both the SEC and Big Ten had to buy back Tier 3 rights in addition to the syndication packages. The ACC doesn’t have to do that. ESPN already has the ACC’s Tier 3 rights, so they don’t have to buy back those. The only thing the ACC has to buy back is the syndication package.

Regarding Radakovich’s comments, here is what he said. He was asked, “Does ESPN have a deadline when it comes to creating an ACC Network. In his answer, he said:

I know there is a lot of work going on within the league office and our consultant is actually handling the negotiations.
http://theclemsoninsider.com/2016/04/28/acc-network-picking-up-steam/

Here is my point. You said there wasn’t a play to buy back the syndication rights. Well, Radakovich plainly said the ACC has a consulting firm negotiating for an ACC network. So yeah, they are trying to buy back the syndication rights.

These expansion threads are so passionate! Let me summarize.
Beliefs are not facts and may or may not be wants.
Predictions are not facts although they can be based on facts
Facts can change and do.
Even if you have a lot of facts you may not have all the facts and you may not have the most important ones.
Neither wants nor beliefs are required to be based on facts.
If you fear an outcome that you believe will happen does not mean you want it to happen or that your belief in and of itself will make it more likely to happen.
Just because you can cite facts doesn't mean your conclusions are correct.
Even if you get the outcome you predicted, it doesn't mean things happened for the reasons you thought they would.
You can use the same facts and arrive at different conclusions.
Just because you use facts to bolster your beliefs does not mean that your beliefs are based more on facts than on faith.
When someone says they don't have an agenda it doesn't mean they don't.
Just because you think you are smarter than the average bear doesn't mean you are.
Something isn't a fact just because you say it is.
Just because you want something it doesn't mean others want the same thing.
What you want probably really doesn't matter, particularly in regard to conference alignment.
Just because you say a lot doesn't mean you are right.
Opinions are not facts. (NO, reader, not even yours.)
Opinions can be formed after a lot of thought or not much at all but may be equally of value.
I have wasted your time and mine.
I hope this clears things up.

Yes, part of the 45 games ARE from the pre existing agreement. There are only a limited number of games that the SEC got back. The SEC schools each had one Tier 3 games, plus the games from Missouri and Texas A&M. That’s not 45 games. Some of those 45 games had to come from the pre existing games already under contract by ESPN.

I’m not getting caught up in selections. You are making assumptions about my points, and not listening to what I actually say. This is why no one can have a reasonable conversation with you, because you don’t listen, and just make up whatever you believe the other person said.

I have never said the ACC will start up a network without buying back the rights to Raycom. I never said that. Go look through any post I ever made and you won’t find where I said that. What I HAVE said is that the ACC can buy back the syndication rights. The problem here is, you try to make the Racyom syndication deal into more than it is. ESPN has always syndicated games. That’s nothing new. ESPN syndicated SEC games with Comcast and Fox up until 2014, when ESPN repurchased those games for the SECN. What I’m telling you is, ESPN can repurchase the ACC games from Raycom and Fox for a network as well. Again, Raycom and Fox are just syndication contracts, like ESPN had for SEC games. There is nothing special about the Raycom contract. You keep trying to say that it is, but it simply isn’t.

This is the same thing that happens already with the SECN. Let’s take a game like Florida vs. Kentucky. In years past, that’s a game ESPN would have put on, say ESPN2. Now, that game gets moved over to SECN. Something has to replace that game on ESPN2.

I’m talking about overall inventory, not ACC inventory. ESPN has contracts with all the FBS conferences & independents (except for Notre Dame). If they take an ACC game of ESPN2, they still have games from these other conference, which they don’t currently broadcast, they can use to fill the slots. That was what I was talking about. See, this is another example of you assuming you know what someone else was talking, when in fact you were mistaken about what they meant. This is why you should think before you shoot off your mouth.

No, I did not claim that, and never have. Again, this is why you don’t assume things. You actually listen to what the other person is saying.

Here is the problem. You think the ACC (actually, it would be ESPN) can’t buy back the syndication rights. That’s simply not true. It’s common for networks to buy back syndication packages, not just in sports, but in TV in general. As I have told you numerous times, both the Big Ten and SEC had to buy back syndication packages to start their respective networks. In fact, the SEC (again, actually ESPN) had to buy back the syndication package from Fox. On top of that, both the SEC and Big Ten had to buy back Tier 3 rights in addition to the syndication packages. The ACC doesn’t have to do that. ESPN already has the ACC’s Tier 3 rights, so they don’t have to buy back those. The only thing the ACC has to buy back is the syndication package.

Regarding Radakovich’s comments, here is what he said. He was asked, “Does ESPN have a deadline when it comes to creating an ACC Network. In his answer, he said:

I know there is a lot of work going on within the league office and our consultant is actually handling the negotiations.
http://theclemsoninsider.com/2016/04/28/acc-network-picking-up-steam/

Here is my point. You said there wasn’t a play to buy back the syndication rights. Well, Radakovich plainly said the ACC has a consulting firm negotiating for an ACC network. So yeah, they are trying to buy back the syndication rights.

Good lord, you just like to argue foolishness. There's no chance--and the ACC admits it-that they can have a network if they don't get rights back from Raycom and FOX. ESPN is NOT going to take product off of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or their other platforms to put it on an ACC network for free. If they move it from point A to point B then they make nothing off of that move--in fact lose money because then they have to acquire other inventory from someone else to put on in its place. Not going to happen.

Just like the other conference networks, and tv agreements there is a set amount of content that goes on the tv partners channels, and then a set amount of content put on the conference network.
In the SEC its around 45 games--but in the Big Ten is around 35 and same in the Pac 12--about 34.

If the ACC has a network they'll have to get back the inventory Raycom and FOX have which is at 31 football games. Without that nothing else matters. Whether ESPN would sell back 3 or 4 games to the ACC to put on a network, or 10 more games is something to be worked out once it gets to that point if ever.

If ESPN moves events off its own platforms though, its got to pay someone else to put something else on in those slots, so bluntly, you'd have to be a fool to think they'll just do that for nothing in return. If its on their platform--they earn subscriber rate for that platform, commercial and sponsor revenue. If its on an ACC network instead then they lose subscriber rate for ESPN, ESPN2 or wherever it was going to be, and get a portion of rate that the ACCn gets--which will be at different rates depending where its on (and going to fewer homes probably). they'll lose all revenues from their platform and then just get partial rates from the new ACC network platform. Then they'll have to buy rights elsewhere to fill the hole on ESPN, ESPN2, U or whichever. That's not the same thing they do with the SEC--the SEC added inventory that didn't exist before.

There's no evidence anyone is negotiating any rights buy backs for the ACC at this point. We'll see if that happens in the future but we've heard about this ACC network as imminent for five years now. The boy who cried wolf comes to mind.

Last edited:
Good lord, you just like to argue foolishness. There's no chance--and the ACC admits it-that they can have a network if they don't get rights back from Raycom and FOX. ESPN is NOT going to take product off of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, or their other platforms to put it on an ACC network for free. If they move it from point A to point B then they make nothing off of that move--in fact lose money because then they have to acquire other inventory from someone else to put on in its place. Not going to happen.

Just like the other conference networks, and tv agreements there is a set amount of content that goes on the tv partners channels, and then a set amount of content put on the conference network.
In the SEC its around 45 games--but in the Big Ten is around 35 and same in the Pac 12--about 34.

If the ACC has a network they'll have to get back the inventory Raycom and FOX have which is at 31 football games. Without that nothing else matters. Whether ESPN would sell back 3 or 4 games to the ACC to put on a network, or 10 more games is something to be worked out once it gets to that point if ever.

If ESPN moves events off its own platforms though, its got to pay someone else to put something else on in those slots, so bluntly, you'd have to be a fool to think they'll just do that for nothing in return. If its on their platform--they earn subscriber rate for that platform, commercial and sponsor revenue. If its on an ACC network instead then they lose subscriber rate for ESPN, ESPN2 or wherever it was going to be, and get a portion of rate that the ACCn gets--which will be at different rates depending where its on (and going to fewer homes probably). they'll lose all revenues from their platform and then just get partial rates from the new ACC network platform. Then they'll have to buy rights elsewhere to fill the hole on ESPN, ESPN2, U or whichever. That's not the same thing they do with the SEC--the SEC added inventory that didn't exist before.

There's no evidence anyone is negotiating any rights buy backs for the ACC at this point. We'll see if that happens in the future but we've heard about this ACC network as imminent for five years now. The boy who cried wolf comes to mind.

I have not said the ACC will start a network without repurchasing the syndication package from Raycom. Show me where I said that. You are making a classic straw man argument.

By the way, you want to talk about no evidence. There is no evidence Texas is going to give up the LHN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diggs59
I truly do not understand why some folks are afraid for the conference to get back to 12 schools. The money will work out. The conference will be more stable. etc etc. Endless debate over what ought to be an easy concept to get behind. The Big 12 needs to get back to the being the Big 12.

I truly do not understand why some folks are afraid for the conference to get back to 12 schools. The money will work out. The conference will be more stable. etc etc. Endless debate over what ought to be an easy concept to get behind. The Big 12 needs to get back to the being the Big 12.

I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, but I do disagree about one point. You can't just say the money will work out. Money is the entire reason they have 10 teams in the first place.

Is it corollary that the Big10 needs to get back to 10? That the ACC needs to jettison Louisville because KY does not touch the Atlantic? Personally I'm not afraid of any decision they make. I'll get behind their decision or just live with it, whatever it is. Continuous lobbying for expansion really has no impact on the decision process as far as I can tell. I can't figure out why some people spend so much time wanting other people to agree with a particular opinion when collectively we have absolutely no input into the process. If it was such a slam dunk concept, the Big12 would have already done it.

It wasn't intended to be funny.

...I'm completely comfortable saying WVU is in the same boat.

You're out there man. Pitt isn't looking to go anywhere. Completely satisfied in ACC. Expansion talk including Pitt is literally a waste of time. Even if the landscape changes a bit the ACC is Pitt's final resting place. Any other discussion regarding Pitt is for uninformed idiots. So go ahead and knock yourself out. Tell us one more time that Pitt doesn't have anywhere to go and WVU is in the same boat. Then punch yourself in your face. Repeat until you can't see your computer or iPhone. Thanks and God bless.

Houston and South Florida to the Big 12 mark it down. Then you will see schools like JMU make the jump

You're out there man. Pitt isn't looking to go anywhere. Completely satisfied in ACC. Expansion talk including Pitt is literally a waste of time. Even if the landscape changes a bit the ACC is Pitt's final resting place. Any other discussion regarding Pitt is for uninformed idiots. So go ahead and knock yourself out. Tell us one more time that Pitt doesn't have anywhere to go and WVU is in the same boat. Then punch yourself in your face. Repeat until you can't see your computer or iPhone. Thanks and God bless.

Anyway... ..despite your blathering "Pitt is completely happy" post... ....you couldn't name a single other conference that would take the Panthers (aka you're right LFM).

Anyway... ..despite your blathering "Pitt is completely happy" post... ....you couldn't name a single other conference that would take the Panthers (aka you're right LFM).

AAC would. Big 12 would. NEC would. There's 3 that would take Pitt.

WVU AD Lyons
announced via WVU coaches TV show that a b12 expansion decision will be announced one way or another
over the next 90 to 180 days...
no longer than 180

the summer 2016 decision could be
pro or con
or wait a pre determined time, till next summer mtgs maybe

WVU AD Lyons
announced via WVU coaches TV show that a b12 expansion decision will be announced one way or another
over the next 90 to 180 days...
no longer than 180

the summer 2016 decision could be
pro or con
or wait a pre determined time, till next summer mtgs maybe

The cut off date that matters is June 30 as that is the end of the college year. Any decisions made after that date usually come into effect on July 1 of the following year. After that date, there is little to rush any decision. So, if we are going to expand, that choice will be made and acted upon in the next 6 weeks.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
That's not what smartasss last poster asked.

True, she wasn't specific and you obviously need special attention when being addressed.

It's interesting your answer included a P5 conference that wouldn't actually take Pitt now that it has WVU (overlapping tv coverage) and a couple of wanna-be conferences (which would be perfect for the Panthers).

The primary knock against Pitt is a notoriously fickle fan base. Averaging nearly 25,000 empty seats at Heinz Field doesn't help, especially during an 8 - 5 (6-2) season. The game against Notre Dame drew 68,000 as the only exception. I suspect a very sizable portion of those fans were there for the Irish.

I do not know what kind of TV ratings they draw, but that would certainly be a factor. I suspect Pitt's biggest problem with fan support is a very popular team called the Steelers.

I'm still a WVU fanatic so I just had to look at a small sample of the Neilson ratings. Marshall vs UConn in the St. Petersburg Bowl drew 2.4 million viewers with an 11:00 am start. Pitt vs Navy in the Military Bowl drew 2.18 million with a 2:30 pm start.

In case anyone wondered, WVU vs ASU in the Cactus Bowl drew 3.69 million viewers with an 11:00 pm start. Draw your own conclusions.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
The primary knock against Pitt is a notoriously fickle fan base. Averaging nearly 25,000 empty seats at Heinz Field doesn't help, especially during an 8 - 5 (6-2) season. The game against Notre Dame drew 68,000 as the only exception. I suspect a very sizable portion of those fans were there for the Irish.

I do not know what kind of TV ratings they draw, but that would certainly be a factor. I suspect Pitt's biggest problem with fan support is a very popular team called the Steelers.

Mike you know that 25k number you threw out just isn't true. The Tarps count for 10k fans a piece. That is why announced attendance is always about 30k more than actual bodies in a seat. :wink:

I can't argue that, I mean pitt is obviously the only team that draws more for teams like Notre dame and Florida state than they do for Youngstown or villanova...

Discussion is fun and all but there have to some people here who want to discuss reality instead of long running fantasy insults no?

I can't argue that, I mean pitt is obviously the only team that draws more for teams like Notre dame and Florida state than they do for Youngstown or villanova...

Discussion is fun and all but there have to some people here who want to discuss reality instead of long running fantasy insults no?

This is obviously a WVU fan board and Pitt is still considered a rival, so you're going to catch a little teasing. However, the numbers I checked were against conference rivals and ranked OOC teams. I do my research: Pitt vs UNC attendance 43,049. Pitt vs Louisville attendance 42,119. Pitt vs Miami attendance 40,126 Pitt vs UVA attendance 45,237. All games were played in 2015, that's why I missed the 2013 sellout hosting FSU. All of my stats came from ESPN

If you notice I did not criticize Pitt or their players, facilities, or even the coaches. Only the fan base which surprised me with their lack of support. While checking these stats which are related to the conversation, I also discovered that UConn has the same problem only much worse no matter who they play. They average around 26,000 in a 40,000 seat stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT