ADVERTISEMENT

Dec. 26, the depths of absurdity in a day of bowls

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
December 26 will be a good day to NOT watching the bowl games. Just concentrate on returning unwanted Christmas gifts.

Check it out:

Miami of Ohio (6-6) vs. Mississippi State (5-7) in the St. Petersburg Bowl. Both teams do NOT have a winning record entering the bowl!

Maryland (6-6) vs. Boston College (6-6) in the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit. Both teams do NOT have a winning record entering the bowl!

North Carolina State (6-6) vs. Vanderbilt (6-6) in the Camping World Independence Bowl in Shreveport, Louisiana. Both teams do NOT have a winning record entering the bowl!

Well, we have reached the record in absurdity. This late in the bowl season and EVERY team playing does NOT have a winning record. One even has a LOSING record.

Oy, vey!

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N o quit against Kansas State, 17-16

T ony’s turbulence tore up Texas Tech, 48-17

A nother defense whipping, of TCU, 34-10

I gnominy of turnovers against Oklahoma State, 20-37

N o problem decimating Kansas, 48-21

E xcellent, timely defense AGAIN; beat Texas, 24-20

E rectile dysfunctioned against Oklahoma, 56-28

R ebounded big time on offense and defense at Iowa State, 49-19

S aved again by the defense against Baylor, 24-21

Now, let’s blow through Miami like a hurricane!

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
I heard Finebaum talking on ESPN yesterday about the need to reduce the number of bowls. However, his example was laughable. He said "just look at the Memphis-Western KY game. Neither team had a good year and got rewarded with a bowl game". What??????? I repeat, WHAT???? Western KY finished 11-3, and were champions of their conference. Why ESPN employs him is beyond me.

Reactions: finebaums ears
Reduce the magic number of bowls to ...............................twelve. On the other hand do we really care how many teams make it to a bowl game. You ain't gonna watch 90% of them anyhalz!

i just dont know why people get so bent on all the bowl games. either watch em or dont.
I don't. But I am looking forward to the Miami game in Orlando.
I'm not sure if I want to watch the "rigged" teams in the playoff games. Heck, you don't even need to be in the conference title game to make the Final Four. Who knew?

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N o quit against Kansas State, 17-16

T ony’s turbulence tore up Texas Tech, 48-17

A nother defense whipping, of TCU, 34-10

I gnominy of turnovers against Oklahoma State, 20-37

N o problem decimating Kansas, 48-21

E xcellent, timely defense AGAIN; beat Texas, 24-20

E rectile dysfunctioned against Oklahoma, 56-28

R ebounded big time on offense and defense at Iowa State, 49-19

S aved again by the defense against Baylor, 24-21

Now, let’s blow through Miami like a hurricane!

Reactions: assassin61
I enjoy to watch college ball...sure some games are better than others, perhaps there will be some entertainment provided in these games...some matchups may turn out to be snoozefests between the bigger guns down the road...

Reactions: MntnEERinSC
Everyone ( It takes a village ) gets a participation trophy. That saves on crying towels, coloring books and puppy dogs.

Reactions: pbody
I haven't watched a bowl game yet but plan to tune in when the Mountaineers take on the Canes. I will watch it on HDTV while I enjoy my Chinese take out. Pro football. What is that? I haven't watched a game this year and for that matter haven't watched a pro game in 5 or 6 years. OK............pro football is boring. At least to me. Warez

Reactions: CAJUNEER
In 1970 there were 11 bowl games total and going to a bowl was really something special that all fans were excited about regardless. All the bowls were "quality" bowl games.

In 1980 there were 15 bowl games, still mostly enthusiastically received by the fans and of a good quality.

That expanded to 18 games in 1985 and stayed that way until..... The BCS Era!

In 2000 there were 23 bowl games, including the BCS Championship Game and there began to be some separation in the quality of the games.

By 2003 that number expanded to 28 and then to 32 in 2007 and 35 in 2011, not all the highest quality games in both venue and match-up (ie: the blue turf in Boise, Idaho, Toronto and Yankee Stadium).

By 2015 there were 41 bowl games including the new Playoff Championship Game; when all but 6-8 bowl games became essentially irrelevant. What is the difference between the Taxslayer Bowl and the Camping World Cure Bowl? Pretty much nothing!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT