ADVERTISEMENT

Contrary to unpopular opinion, WVU is a top 10 team... But

wvpaper

All-Conference
Nov 21, 2010
there are a few teams we don't want to see in the ncaa.

they're actually teams no one wants to play. 2+ ball handlers and frontcourt size... unc, mich state, and maryland are on my list of teams to avoid.

your opinion?

Maryland's superstar trimbled against WVU last year...ran and hid...the media and pollsters swear that he's since melo'd out...?

WV is nationally ranked by popular opinion. The ranking is consensus. Now...............do they deserve the ranking? Yes, by popular opinion. WV will please WV fans in the NCAA's but will not emerge as the winner. Will they win the Big 12? No, a middle of the road team that is not expected to win it all will upset Kansas.

teams with outstanding guards such as Taylor/Felix. Yogi Ferell at Indiana. Brogdon/Perrantes at UVA. Villanova has 3 guards averaging 10-15 PPG each. Miami has 2 senior guards + 2 other guards who combine to average 49.5 PPG and nearly 10 assists/game. Carolina always has great guards and is extremely fast and dangerous in transition.

oh, how could I forget? KY...Ullis + Murray are one of the top guard tandems. But how sweet would it be to avenge what happened last year?

of course it's not likely those teams have been pressed to our extent (save UVA who was turned over), nor faced a 9-10-deep team with great guards of its own. nonetheless if WV shoots in the 40s and earns a living at the foul line, they're most likely going to win no matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: xgunnx and wvpaper
& WV is a top 10 club that's sustained its place over the season. but the number we want is 2-3 as in seeding.

& WV is a top 10 club that's sustained its place over the season. but the number we want is 2-3 as in seeding.
press, do you share my opinion that the benefit of being a #2 seed v. a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament is larger than it might seem?

Every time that Lunardi updates, I look at his prospective #6 seeds v. the #7s and the difference in quality appears quite substantial.

Last edited:
Maybe Texas and Oklahoma based on regular season. Actually I think I would feel more comfortable playing OK than Tex. I think we could beat Maryland again if needed. I would like to see if we could play closer to a 40 minute game against Virginia. I agree that NC and Michigan State would appear to be tough match ups.

yeah I think so; old cliche of it's all about the match-up. 6s look to be top 25 quality. 7s just outside the top 25.

assuming it goes how it's designed to (seldom does), the 3-6 game should be much tougher than the 2-7 game. could also argue it may be better to have the top 3 seed than sneaking in as the last 2 seed. getting into the nitty gritty details, but I think it's supposed to be the "last" 2 seed is pitted in the region with the No. 1 overall seed. inversely, the last 1 seed is supposed to draw the best 2 seed.

I'm not sure that they follow the formula all the time though. in 2010, WV was probable for a 1 seed and I think got the top 2 seed, but was placed in the region with KY, the "second" 1 seed behind No. 1 overall Kansas. say that 10 times fast.

my take has been avoid the top half of any region because there lurks a 1. not invincible, but they are 1 for a reason. top half is filled with potential landmines. 8/9 game is equal and has guaranteed meeting with the 1 in the first weekend of every NCAA tournament in history. 5/12 game often is trouble & the 1 awaits in the Sweet 16 like last year. our season devastatingly ended there after a clinic we put on vs MD.

I'm perfectly fine with the best 3 line if it happens. UConn was a 3 in 2011 and won the national championship. Was there in Anaheim to see them win the West Regional. UConn won it all again in 2014 starting on the bottom half again as the 7.

i think the bigger problem is us turning the ball over. we take care of the ball and we have a good chance to win.

i think the bigger problem is us turning the ball over. we take care of the ball and we have a good chance to win.

You are correct. The team that doesn't turn the ball over has a much better chance of victory. Let's hope our opponent turns it over real often and WV doesn't. I appreciate this years team. They come to play.

teams with outstanding guards such as Taylor/Felix. Yogi Ferell at Indiana. Brogdon/Perrantes at UVA. Villanova has 3 guards averaging 10-15 PPG each. Miami has 2 senior guards + 2 other guards who combine to average 49.5 PPG and nearly 10 assists/game. Carolina always has great guards and is extremely fast and dangerous in transition.

oh, how could I forget? KY...Ullis + Murray are one of the top guard tandems. But how sweet would it be to avenge what happened last year?

of course it's not likely those teams have been pressed to our extent (save UVA who was turned over), nor faced a 9-10-deep team with great guards of its own. nonetheless if WV shoots in the 40s and earns a living at the foul line, they're most likely going to win no matter.

Villanovas 's Guards also defend well, maybe we'll enough that we'd need to rely on Devin for offense and right now I'm just not sure of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT