ADVERTISEMENT

Come on home...

Why did literally every Big East program from that era who went to other power conferences fall into the middle of the pack or worse? It’s one thing to get extraordinarily fired up for a bowl game, it’s another to compete at that level week in and out for a full season.
Why are you deflecting from the facts of their time in the Big East and their bowl records against the top conferences

Well, they were improving each year under Rodriguez. You can look it up. Michigan was impatient and demanded immediate results. Rodriguez won at Arizona. You can look that up as well
Rodriguez delivered 3 terrible seasons by Michigan standards and had one good season at UofA, which by the standards of 2005-07 is below standard, and he didn’t build on that success hence why he is at bumble#### state.

Why are you deflecting from the facts of their time in the Big East and their bowl records against the top conferences

Because the detractor argument at the time “these programs would be nobodies facing quality competition each week” played out and was proven correct. Bowl games mean very little outside of the national title game, there are a variety of factors in play relating to motivation and how each program is planning to use the game in their future plans.

Rodriguez delivered 3 terrible seasons by Michigan standards and had one good season at UofA, which by the standards of 2005-07 is below standard, and he didn’t build on that success hence why he is at bumble#### state.
So his 33 wins in final 3 years at WVU don’t count? Why are you deflecting? His 26 wins at Arizona his first 3 years at Arizona won’t count?
Because the detractor argument at the time “these programs would be nobodies facing quality competition each week” played out and was proven correct. Bowl games mean very little outside of the national title game, there are a variety of factors in play relating to motivation and how each program is planning to use the game in their future plans.
So we should judge Virginia Tech’s dominance in the Big East and first 10 years of the ACC as a fluke because they’re terrible today? Marshall is beating them. That’s your argument. The former Big East schools struggling in the new conferences cancels that success in the Big East and bowls.

So his 33 wins in final 3 years at WVU don’t count? Why are you deflecting? His 26 wins at Arizona his first 3 years at Arizona won’t count?
My understanding is you are trying to prop up post WVU Rod as some sortve success, and that he is fully capable of replicating what he did here in a much tougher conference. The fact is he delivered 3 well below standard seasons at Michigan, despite your claim that “past success feeds future success”. He delivered one good season at Arizona, but again not the level of success he showed here. His post WVU conference record is abysmal. So again why do you think he will replicate the glory years when he has not shown the ability to do so anywhere else in 16 years?

So we should judge Virginia Tech’s dominance in the Big East and first 10 years of the ACC as a fluke because they’re terrible today? Marshall is beating them. That’s your argument. The former Big East schools struggling in the new conferences cancels that success in the Big East and bowls.

Miami and VT were unquestionably the best two football programs in the Big East. WVU never won anything when they were in it save for 1993. WVU then starts winning stuff when they leave. WVU joins a conference where programs of the caliber of 90s/early 00s UM and VT are in it, and WVU stops winning stuff. It’s that simple, we were in a weak league.

Last edited:
My understanding is you are trying to prop up post WVU Rod as some sortve success, and that he is fully capable of replicating what he did here in a much tougher conference. The fact is he delivered 3 well below standard seasons at Michigan, despite your claim that “past success feeds future success”. He delivered one good season at Arizona, but again not the level of success he showed here, so again why do you think he will replicate the glory years when he has not shown the ability to do so anywhere else in 16 years?

Miami and VT were unquestionably the best two football programs in the Big East. WVU never won anything when they were in it. WVU then starts winning stuff when they leave. WVU joins a conference where programs of the caliber of 90s/early 00s UM and VT are in it, and WVU stops winning stuff. It’s that simple.
I never said anything about him replicating that success of 3 straight 11 win seasons. I simply said I thought we should consider bringing him back if the time for both Rod and WVU was the right time. I showed you that he won at a rate we’ve not seen since. The results prove this. I showed you you were wrong the Big East was weak because the Big East did very well in the bowls against the top conferences. I showed you that Rod won at Arizona. I showed you he improved each of his 3 years at Michigan.

BTW: WVU went undefeated in that old Big East with both VT and Miami in 1993. WVU did win 7-8 games most years in the old Big East. WVU did quite well against the old Big East under Rodriguez and won 8-9 games before Miami and VT left.

So now, you’re pinning Rodriguez success in the Big East to other WVU coaches struggling in the Big12? How do we know that Rodriguez wouldn’t win in the Big12? More emotions I guess? Lol.

I never said anything about him replicating that success of 3 straight 11 win seasons. I simply said I thought we should consider bringing him back if the time for both Rod and WVU was the right time. I showed you that he won at a rate we’ve not seen since. The results prove this. I showed you you were wrong the Big East was weak because the Big East did very well in the bowls against the top conferences. I showed you that Rod won at Arizona. I showed you he improved each of his 3 years at Michigan.

The Big East didn’t have elite competition but it was saved in OOC by not having typical dumpster fire programs. There were no elite programs, which like it or not, is what ultimately matters, and we would not have won the hardware we did in that era if the glory days U, or even VT were in our conference even if the rest of the conference were layups. We also have not seen a rate of winning like we did with Stewart, do you think Stew is winning 9 games in 3 consecutive seasons in the current Big XII? Please.

BTW: WVU went undefeated in that old Big East with both VT and Miami in 1993. WVU did win 7-8 games most years in the old Big East. WVU did quite well against the old Big East under Rodriguez and won 8-9 games before Miami and VT left.

So now, you’re pinning Rodriguez success in the Big East to other WVU coaches struggling in the Big12? How do we know that Rodriguez wouldn’t win in the Big12? More emotions I guess? Lol.

In the Old Big East RR went 9-4 and 8-5 which is probably what would have continued had Miami and VT stayed and we added UL to the conference who was peaking at that time. Maybe we go 10-3 once between 05-07. I’ll give 2001 RR a mulligan because he was obviously putting together something positive and cleaning up the mess Nehlen left. These teams went 1-2 against South Florida, lost a huge game to a 5-7 Pitt team, they were not infallible. They were volatile teams that on their best day could smack the SEC champ, and on their worst suffer incredibly embarrassing losses, in today’s Big XII they are a typical OK State caliber team.

Last edited:
The Big East didn’t have elite competition but it was saved in OOC by not having typical dumpster fire programs. There were no elite programs, which like it or not, is what ultimately matters, and we would not have won the hardware we did in that era if the glory days U, or even VT were in our conference even if the rest of the conference were layups. We also have not seen a rate of winning like we did with Stewart, do you think Stew is winning 9 games in 3 consecutive seasons in the current Big XII? Please.

In the Old Big East RR went 9-4 and 8-5 which is probably what would have continued had Miami and VT stayed and we added UL to the conference who was peaking at that time. Maybe we go 10-3 once between 05-07. I’ll give 2001 RR a mulligan because he was obviously putting together something positive and cleaning up the mess Nehlen left.
There’s no way either of us knows how Rod would do in the Big 12. Using your logic, I guess Saban’s success at Alabama has nothing to do with him since he only won 6-7 games a year at Michigan State.

There’s no way either of us knows how Rod would do in the Big 12. Using your logic, I guess Saban’s success at Alabama has nothing to do with him since he only won 6-7 games a year at Michigan State.
Um no. We do know how Rod would do given his Big Ten and Pac performances, with added uncertainty and downside given his hiatus from power conference football.

Saban delivered Michigan State its first 10 win season in like 30 years which is why he got his shot, and obviously he showed he can handle the next level, terrible point here.

Um no. We do know how Rod would do given his Big Ten and Pac performances, with added uncertainty and downside given his hiatus from power conference football.

Saban delivered Michigan State its first 10 win season in like 30 years which is why he got his shot, and obviously he showed he can handle the next level, terrible point here.
Ok….

Compare Johnny Majors at Pitt vs his 2nd stint at Pitt. Did he suddenly become a terrible coach?

Look, every point you’ve attempted on Rod I’ve countered. You seem to think you’re Nostradamus predicting with certainty. I’m only saying based on Rodriguez past success at WVU and Arizona, he’s worth a shot again to coach WVU. If you want to just say you don’t want him again as HC at WVU because he’s a dick, I won’t argue with you. Lol. But don’t say he’s a bad HC. It’s just not true. He’s at least top 3 alltime at WVU in my opinion.

Ok….

Compare Johnny Majors at Pitt vs his 2nd stint at Pitt. Did he suddenly become a terrible coach?

Look, every point you’ve attempted on Rod I’ve countered. You seem to think you’re Nostradamus predicting with certainty. I’m only saying based on Rodriguez past success at WVU and Arizona, he’s worth a shot again to coach WVU. If you want to just say you don’t want him again as HC at WVU because he’s a dick, I won’t argue with you. Lol. But don’t say he’s a bad HC. It’s just not true. He’s at least top 3 alltime at WVU in my opinion.
Johnny Majors… what in the actual eff are you even trying to insinuate?

RR had 1 noteworthy season out of 6 at Arizona, a losing overall conference record, losing conference records 4 of 6 years… like dude he wasn’t good at Arizona and that was his most recent head coaching experience at the P5 level 7 years ago… it’s not a good idea. All of your counterarguments are total shit caught up in nostalgia from the 05-07 teams with delusional ideas about the quality of the Big East back then with your trump card of good bowl performances… those teams were 1-2 against effing South Florida, lost the biggest game of their lives to a 5-7 Pitt team, flirted with disaster against 6-6 Louisville, the 05 season in particular was riddled with close calls and that season could have been over well before it got rolling. They were fun and exciting, but also wildly overrated by our fans, and buoyed by a very beatable Big East that didn’t punish us enough for our bad games.

Johnny Majors… what in the actual eff are you even trying to insinuate?

RR had 1 noteworthy season out of 6 at Arizona, a losing overall conference record, losing conference records 4 of 6 years… like dude he wasn’t good at Arizona and that was his most recent head coaching experience at the P5 level 7 years ago… it’s not a good idea. All of your counterarguments are total shit caught up in nostalgia from the 05-07 teams with delusional ideas about the quality of the Big East back then with your trump card of good bowl performances… those teams were 1-2 against effing South Florida, lost the biggest game of their lives to a 5-7 Pitt team, flirted with disaster against 6-6 Louisville, the 05 season in particular was riddled with close calls and that season could have been over well before it got rolling. They were fun and exciting, but also wildly overrated by our fans, and buoyed by a very beatable Big East that didn’t punish us enough for our bad games.
I’m using your logic against you and you’re getting destroyed lol. Listen, I get it. You’re upset Rodriguez left WVU and how he did it. And I get it. However, don’t be emotional and ignore the statistics that he was a dominate HC at WVU. You can spin it however you want, but you cannot erase his record at WVU.

BTW: You are lying about Arizona. He had a winning overall record 43-35. And only 1 losing season at Arizona.

Had enough yet? Lol

Last edited:
I’m using your logic against you and you’re getting destroyed lol. Listen, I get it. You’re upset Rodriguez left WVU and how he did it. And I get it. However, don’t be emotional and ignore the statistics that he was a dominate HC at WVU. You can spin it however you want, but you cannot erase his record at WVU.
No you’re not. Even if you ignore that his run came in a conference that had no dominant program in it and just accept it as a great run at face value (which it was), it still came 16 years ago, he still hasn’t replicated it anywhere else, the Big XII will unquestionably be a bigger challenge than the Big East he coached WVU in. These are all real factors, and you’re just basically saying to roll the dice because he was good here a long time ago…. It’s a stupid argument and there is too much at stake to just trot the corpse of RR out there knowing the downsides.

No you’re not. Even if you ignore that his run came in a conference that had no dominant program in it and just accept it as a great run at face value (which it was), it still came 16 years ago, he still hasn’t replicated it anywhere else, the Big XII will unquestionably be a bigger challenge than the Big East he coached WVU in. These are all real factors, and you’re just basically saying to roll the dice because he was good here a long time ago…. It’s a stupid argument and there is too much at stake to just trot the corpse of RR out there knowing the downsides.
Again, you are basing everything on emotions. You do not know how he would do in the Big12 at WVU. He won against the old Big East and the new Big East. His teams won 2 BCS bowls. The new Big East won against major conferences in bowls. You cannot change factual history because Rod hurt your feelings.

BTW: You are lying about Arizona. He had a winning overall record 43-35. And only 1 losing season at Arizona.
CONFERENCE record. You know, those sortve important games against peer schools? Not the ones against schools that are dramatically out talented and resemble scrimmages.

CONFERENCE record. You know, those sortve important games against peer schools? Not the ones against schools that are dramatically out talented and resemble scrimmages.
Lmao!! So let’s ignore his overall record and cherry pick the games.

Again, you are basing everything on emotions. You do not know how he would do in the Big12 at WVU. He won against the old Big East and the new Big East. His teams won 2 BCS bowls. The new Big East won against major conferences in bowls. You cannot change factual history because Rod hurt your feelings.
If you notice, I have not mentioned once about how RR left. If he could come back and win games, do it. The thing is he has proven his run here to be nothing but smoke and mirrors, so why do we want him back? Does he even run the zone read anymore? I would guess not since it’s a failed strategy nowadays.

If you notice, I have not mentioned once about how RR left. If he could come back and win games, do it. The thing is he has proven his run here to be nothing but smoke and mirrors, so why do we want him back? Does he even run the zone read anymore? I would guess not since it’s a failed strategy nowadays.
His run here was not smoke and mirrors. He won. He won big games. That’s fact. Your points are opinions

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
His run here was not smoke and mirrors. He won. He won big games. That’s fact. Your points are opinions

So his inability to duplicate the success indicates what exactly oh wise one? He’s saving his secret sauce for the day WVU calls him back?

Also, can you answer my question for if he still runs the zone read? If he isn’t even running that any longer (he might be, again I have no idea) then you are advocating for hiring a completely different coach.

So his inability to duplicate the success indicates what exactly oh wise one? He’s saving his secret sauce for the day WVU calls him back?

Also, can you answer my question for if he still runs the zone read? If he isn’t even running that any longer (he might be, again I have no idea) then you are advocating for hiring a completely different coach.
Again, you don’t know. You’re not Nostradamus. Hence, my reason for using Johnny Majors as an example. Again, over your head obviously lol

Stop deflecting. Now you want to make it contingent on type of his current offense lol. I have no idea if he’s still running the run spread lol

Again, you don’t know. You’re not Nostradamus. Hence, my reason for using Johnny Majors as an example. Again, over your head obviously lol

Stop deflecting. Now you want to make it contingent on type of his current offense lol. I have no idea if he’s still running the run spread lol
I’m asking a real question, you don’t know either I guess? Par for the course since you’re advocating for hiring a coach where the best argument for why they would randomly be successful for the first time in 16 years at the power conference level is “yOu nEvEr KnOw”.

I’m asking a real question, you don’t know either I guess? Par for the course I guess since you’re advocating for hiring a coach where the best argument for why they would randomly be successful for the first time in 16 years at the power conference level is “yOu nEvEr KnOw”.
Deflecting lol….

He was a winner at WVU. Again, facts support this. You do realize coaches adjust offenses to accommodate their players.

Deflecting lol….

He was a winner at WVU. Again, facts support this. You do realize coaches adjust offenses to accommodate their players.

I’ve deflected nothing. By your logic we should get Nehlen out there again, or any other random retread who had a few good seasons a long time ago.

I’ve deflected nothing. By your logic we should get Nehlen out there again, or any other random retread who had a few good seasons a long time ago.
Be honest, Rich hurt your feelings. That’s all this is about. None of the actual facts support your nonsense you keep responding with. Like I said, I get it.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Answer these questions and stop dEfLeCtInG:

What conference does WVU play in now?

What conference did WVU play in from 2001-07?

What were the transfer rules and NIL rules from 2001-07 vs now?

What experience does Rich Rodriguez have dealing with the new rules?

How long has it been since Rich Rodriguez coached power conference football?

Why doesn’t any other power conference school want Rich Rodriguez to coach for them?

Does Pat White still have eligibility?

If no - what is his record at the power conference level after having Pat White?

Is the offense Rich Rodriguez used during the Pat White era still prevalent today?

If no - why do you think running an aged out offense would still be a good idea? Has coach Rodriguez had success with it lately? If yes at what level of football?

Same questions in regards to the triple option, veer, I option, etc and other coaches who have experience running it.

How many other available coaches have won the equivalent of a BCS bowl or better since Rich Rodriguez last won one that are currently available?

Why not any of those guys?

Last edited:
Answer these questions and stop dEfLeCtInG:

What conference does WVU play in now?

What conference did WVU play in from 2001-07?

What were the transfer rules and NIL rules from 2001-07 vs now?

What experience does Rich Rodriguez have dealing with the new rules?

How long has it been since Rich Rodriguez coached power conference football?

What is his record without Pat White?

Does Pat White still have eligibility?

If no - what is his record at the power conference level since having Pat White?

Is the offense Rich Rodriguez used during the Pat White era still prevalent today?

If no - why do you think running an aged out offense would still be a good idea? Has coach Rodriguez had success with it lately? If yes at what level of football?

How many other available coaches have won the equivalent of a BCS bowl since Rich Rodriguez last won one?

Why not any of those guys?
You sure like to deflect from the topic at hand.

We all know what conference WVU played in. What’s your point? It’s a tough league. We all know that.

Where did WVU play in the early 2000’s? Again, we all know. The Big East. Everyone except you apparently realizes it was also a tough league

Transfer rules and NIL rules? So you’re suggesting Rich doesn’t know? He’s currently a D1 HC at Jacksonville State. Lmao!!

So you’re saying Rodriguez was only successful because of Pat White? I guess you fell asleep during the Rasheed Marshall era at WVU.

Again, coaches adjust their offensive schemes with the ever evolving game and the players they have. Not sure what your point is?

I never said not to consider other successful HC’s who have won a BCS game.

You’re way too emotional. Rod really hurt you

You sure like to deflect from the topic at hand.

We all know what conference WVU played in. What’s your point? It’s a tough league. We all know that.
Deflecting. What conference do we play in?

Where did WVU play in the early 2000’s? Again, we all know. The Big East. Everyone except you apparently realizes it was also a tough league
Finally, a semi-straight answer! Did the Big East have any programs that were at the time considered better programs than WVU? Maybe Pitt who were two decades removed from their last national relevance. How does this compare to the current Big XII post UT and OU departures?

Transfer rules and NIL rules? So you’re suggesting Rich doesn’t know? He’s currently a D1 HC at Jacksonville State. Lmao!!
Stop deflecting. I asked what is his experience? The answer is 1 season as an FCS coach and now 1 off-season and 4 regular season games as a recently promoted CUSA program coach. Currently Neal Brown has more experience navigating the new landscape and more experience with 10+ win seasons at the G5 level. So this experience Rod has in the new world order generally means nothing to me.

So you’re saying Rodriguez was only successful because of Pat White? I guess you fell asleep during the Rasheed Marshall era at WVU.
That’s what his record post Pat implies. But you’re deflecting yet again, does Pat still have eligibility and if not what is his record post Pat White being his QB?

Again, coaches adjust their offensive schemes with the ever evolving game and the players they have. Not sure what your point is?
Didn’t answer the question, but has Rod adjusted?
I never said not to consider other successful HC’s who have won a BCS game.
You’re deflecting. How many and why not them over Rod?

You’re way too emotional. Rod really hurt you
For whatever reason you saying this makes you feel better despite me not once engaging in anything off the field. Again, if he can help us win, bring him in. I am a win at all costs type of fan, there is just little to support him winning here again, if he had a way replicate what he did here it would have happened already.

Last edited:
Deflecting. What conference do we play in?

Finally, a semi-straight answer! Did the Big East have any programs that were at the time considered better programs than WVU? Maybe Pitt who were two decades removed from their last national relevance. How does this compare to the current Big XII post UT and OU departures?

Stop deflecting. I asked what is his experience? The answer is 1 season as an FCS coach and now 1 off-season and 4 regular season games as a recently promoted CUSA program coach. Currently Neal Brown has more experience navigating the new landscape and more experience with 10+ win seasons at the G5 level. So this experience Rod has in the new world order generally means nothing to me.

That’s what his record post Pat implies. But you’re deflecting yet again, does Pat still have eligibility and if not what is his record post Pat White being his QB?

Didn’t answer the question, but has Rod adjusted?

You’re deflecting. How many and why not them over Rod?

For whatever reason you saying this makes you feel better despite me not once engaging in anything off the field. Again, if he can help us win, bring him in. I am a win at all costs type of fan, there is just little to support him winning here again, if he had a way replicate what he did here it would have happened already.
Now you’re just acting ignorant

There is a real chance our wins may look like this all year. And if it does?, who gives a Rats vagina?
Yes this could be our look. Neal remains the weakest link on the team, but if the defense, OL and RBs keep playing at a high level, we can win up to 8 with the schedule we have, imo. 8 wins and a bowl win would be a great way to end Neal's tenure and send him out on a high note. Ugly wins are wins.

Rich Rod would be averaging 30+ per game with this offense :ninja:

Last edited:
Yes this could be our look. Neal remains the weakest link on the team, but if the defense, OL and RBs keep playing at a high level, we can win up to 8 with the schedule we have, imo. 8 wins and a bowl win would be a great way to end Neal's tenure and send him out on a high note. Ugly wins are wins.

Rich Rod would be averaging 30+ per game with this offense :ninja:
Neal Brown is not going to be let go if he wins 8 games and the WR group is the weakest link on this team.

Reactions: WESTBGVA
Neal Brown is not going to be let go if he wins 8 games and the WR group is the weakest link on this team.
Playcalling is the weakest link and its not even close. Dana got ran out after winning 8, 8 and 10 in 3 of his last 4 seasons. Rich Rod got death threats on his life and his family's lives for losing to Pitt in one of the best overall seasons we've ever had. The same folks making death threats (WESTBGVA?) to other coaches however, love Neal and he can do no wrong. This is fun because its funny lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT