ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce FW

Just to clarify, which one of his rights and liberties were violated?
What rights are being violated? It is not illegal for an officer to pull over someone for an offense, even a minor offense. Based on what I read from FW's account, no ones rights were violated. Inconvenienced yes, violated no. Broken window policing which greatly reduced crime and saved lives is not violating anyone's rights. Criminal profiling is not illegal, racial profiling is.

Many, many years ago, my brother-in-law had a very good friend that was pulled over on I 95. He was not speeding and in fact the officers never informed him as to why he was pulled over. His attorney found out that he was pulled over based on the route he took, his age and the type of car he was driving and they used the fact that he failed to use his turn signal when changing lanes to justify pulling him over. After the search of his car they found that he was transporting drugs from Florida to DC. He spent time in prison. He was white. That is criminal profiling and is not illegal. Below is a description of criminal profiling that is perfectly legal:

Another factor of criminal profiling is recognizing that crime has demographics. Officers are trained and experienced in the areas they serve to notice certain factors that are present in most of the crimes, suspects and areas they patrol and investigate.
Im not saying that any were in this particular case but the fact still stands. Things like only seeing the governors of cities being talked about in cities with more strict lockdowns but no one wants to talk about the cops that are enforcing their unconstitutional laws. There are some cops that are standing up and saying they will not enforce those rules but I think they should also be doing the same when it comes to things like driving with a air freshener hanging from your rearview.

I will say that in this case this is a stupid victimless crime that I would say has probably done more harm than it has prevented.

• Haha
Reactions: WVUkegkiller
You have to differentiate racial profiling from criminal profiling. One is illegal and one is legal. And yes, using criminal profiling to try and prevent crime is something I support.
I don't need to differentiate between racial profiling and criminal profiling. You do. According to BFW, who give all the information we have about the incident, he was accused of driving with an air freshener hanging from the mirror. I would imagine you would even admit he was pulled over for driving while black if all the information paints an accurate picture of events. You introduced into the discussion profiling serial killers as if that's some sort of relevant comparison.

• Wow
Reactions: Mountaineer Gooch
I don't need to differentiate between racial profiling and criminal profiling. You do. According to BFW, who give all the information we have about the incident, he was accused of driving with an air freshener hanging from the mirror. I would imagine you would even admit he was pulled over for driving while black if all the information paints an accurate picture of events. You introduced into the discussion profiling serial killers as if that's some sort of relevant comparison.
That will leave a mark.... ouch....

• Haha
Reactions: CAJUNEER

I also told you about my brother-in-law's friends arrest. He was absolutely profiled. It was a criminal profile based on his age, the route he was driving and his car. Was he driving while white?

I support criminal profiling. Do you?

I also told you about my brother-in-law's friends arrest. He was absolutely profiled. It was a criminal profile based on his age, the route he was driving and his car. Was he driving while white?

I support criminal profiling. Do you?
I support not introducing irrelevant information into any discussion.

Stupid effing law. Bad thing is the same people making those kinds of laws are the same people BFW votes for. Get used to it kid. That’s your tribe

It's highly relevant. You just don't want to hear it nor do you want to answer my question. That speaks volumes.
It speaks volumes that you introduced criminal profiling into a discussion about racial profiling, making an equivalency argument. Then when the nonsense of the comparison is pointed out, rather than saying, "Yeah, one is not like the other," you act as if I'm the one confusing the issues. Then you want to pretend this is not a discussion about racial profiling and make it about criminal profiling. The volumes it speaks is that you can't admit when you're wrong, and I can stay on topic.

Reactions: WVUCOOPER
I’m a registered republican and view myself as a fiscal conservative... that being said, anyone trying to downplay the fact these kids have to live through incidents like BFW described are ignorant or ignoring the problem. Systematic racism isn’t a political hoax or joke... it’s something these kids deal with on a day to day basis.

I drive past wytheville once a week for work with a air freshener hanging... and I’ve never been pulled over for it. Is it because I’m white and driving a Mercedes or am I just lucky? Any logical person can put the dots together.

It speaks volumes that you introduced criminal profiling into a discussion about racial profiling, making an equivalency argument. Then when the nonsense of the comparison is pointed out, rather than saying, "Yeah, one is not like the other," you act as if I'm the one confusing the issues. Then you want to pretend this is not a discussion about racial profiling and make it about criminal profiling. The volumes it speaks is that you can't admit when you're wrong, and I can stay on topic.

How do you know this was racial profiling? You have zero facts to substantiate that claim. You weren't there. You have no idea what the officer saw and what was in his/her mind. You only have one side of the story. Yet you claim without evidence that it was racial profiling.

I gave you an alternative explanation, criminal profiling. And I gave you an example of criminal profiling involving someone close to my family who was white and pulled over under similar circumstances. I asked you if you support criminal profiling. And because you refuse to answer that very simple question, I must assume that you do not even though criminal profiling is both legal and saves lives.

I’m a registered republican and view myself as a fiscal conservative... that being said, anyone trying to downplay the fact these kids have to live through incidents like BFW described are ignorant or ignoring the problem. Systematic racism isn’t a political hoax or joke... it’s something these kids deal with on a day to day basis.

I drive past wytheville once a week for work with a air freshener hanging... and I’ve never been pulled over for it. Is it because I’m white and driving a Mercedes or am I just lucky? Any logical person can put the dots together.

I think the word you’re lookin for is systemic. And I don’t believe it’s true anymore.

Last edited:

So when I was pulled over a few years ago for not using a turn signal when pulling into my neighborhood, was I racially profiled? FW may have been criminally profiled and the air freshener was an excuse to pull him over. Before you make a claim of racism, a very, very harsh claim, you need more facts than has been provided from one person's point of view. Again, you have no idea what was in the mind or the heart of the officer. Nor do you know what criminal profile he or she may have been using to pull him over.

I admit this may have been racial profiling. It may also have been criminal profiling. No one on this board knows, no one. And to claim otherwise is flat out wrong. You can't put dots together unless you have all the dots.

How do you know this was racial profiling? You have zero facts to substantiate that claim. You weren't there. You have no idea what the officer saw and what was in his/her mind. You only have one side of the story. Yet you claim without evidence that it was racial profiling.

I gave you an alternative explanation, criminal profiling. And I gave you an example of criminal profiling involving someone close to my family who was white and pulled over under similar circumstances. I asked you if you support criminal profiling. And because you refuse to answer that very simple question, I must assume that you do not even though criminal profiling is both legal and saves lives.
I would imagine you would even admit he was pulled over for driving while black if all the information paints an accurate picture of events.
Like I said, if the picture is painted accurately, then I'm sure the officer was a stickler for air fresheners. :rolleyes:

So you think its OK for the police to randomly pull over white males to investigate if they might be a serial killer? There are more violations of constitutional rights by law enforcement in the name of "crime preventions" than any other excuse.
White males kidnap girls far more than any other "type". I want them looking for those most likely to do it. If you were honest, you would too. Esp, if you had a daughter.

Like I said, if the picture is painted accurately, then I'm sure the officer was a stickler for air fresheners. :rolleyes:
Like I said, your refusal to answer the simple question as to whether you support criminal profiling speaks volumes.

How quickly can this thread catch up to the let's shut down college basketball thread? It has potential to get there pretty quickly unless @Veron shuts it down.

tenor.gif

Proud of the Blue Lot. We got here quickly!! Well done.

tenor.gif

White males kidnap girls far more than any other "type". I want them looking for those most likely to do it. If you were honest, you would too. Esp, if you had a daughter.

This is exactly why I support criminal profiling. It helps to prevent crimes. If there is a serial killer on the loose, I want the investigators to spend most of their resources on those most likely to commit such a crime. It is not rocket science.

I think the word you’re lookin for us systemic. And I don’t believe it’s true anymore.
Lol I’ll tap out and admit that is the word I was looking for... one of those quick rants from the phone... shit happens. That said, you must live in a bunker if you don’t think it’s real/true. Wake up... racism is alive and thriving in American. The past 4 years have only exacerbated the issue. And I say that as someone who puts the nations fiscal policies above social issues and backed trump.... I’m not gonna hide from the obvious though.

Reactions: Mountaineer Gooch
I don't want the police pulling over anyone because, in general, girls go missing. If there is a specific incident of a girl missing I would want cars pulled over based on the descriptions of the girl and anyone with whom she was seen prior to going missing. If she was kidnaps, and it is possible, I would want to police to set up road block and check every vehicle.

Like I said, your refusal to answer the simple question as to whether you support criminal profiling speaks volumes.
Like I said, it says I know how to stay on topic and you do not.

So when I was pulled over a few years ago for not using a turn signal when pulling into my neighborhood, was I racially profiled? FW may have been criminally profiled and the air freshener was an excuse to pull him over. Before you make a claim of racism, a very, very harsh claim, you need more facts than has been provided from one person's point of view. Again, you have no idea what was in the mind or the heart of the officer. Nor do you know what criminal profile he or she may have been using to pull him over.

I admit this may have been racial profiling. It may also have been criminal profiling. No one on this board knows, no one. And to claim otherwise is flat out wrong. You can't put dots together unless you have all the dots.
I’ll be the first to say more facts are needed in this case to truly know what went down. And before I go on, I want you to know I’m not directing anything at you... and in certain circumstances, I do support criminal profiling. That said, the people who flat out ignore this is an issue in America need to wake the F up. Political ties aside... it’s a problem. I really don’t see how anyone with a brain can’t see that. As for criminal profiling, in the right circumstances, I agree it’s a powerful tactic for law enforcement, but it’s used for unrelated purposes more often than not.

Probably has more to do with his tinted skin.

I think you know that and probably don’t care.
Assuming race is in play is as wrongheaded as assuming it’s not.

I’ve been pulled over in Whytheville twice. Both times I was exceeding the speed limit by less than mph. I got a ticket one of those times.

People get pulled over through there all of time time. I don’t know if that cop is racist or not. Neither do you. Knee jerking one way or the other doesn’t help our perceptions or reality.

Lol I’ll tap out and admit that is the word I was looking for... one of those quick rants from the phone... shit happens. That said, you must live in a bunker if you don’t think it’s real/true. Wake up... racism is alive and thriving in American. The past 4 years have only exacerbated the issue. And I say that as someone who puts the nations fiscal policies above social issues and backed trump.... I’m not gonna hide from the obvious though.

yeah I hear ya guess I’ve just never witnessed it. 39 years old and have lived my entire life in a supposedly racist state, West Virginia. Went to college. Traveled a lot. Not once have I ever witnessed any type of discrimination over skin color. Not a single time. Have you?

Reactions: wvmoose and Airport
I’ll be the first to say more facts are needed in this case to truly know what went down. And before I go on, I want you to know I’m not directing anything at you... and in certain circumstances, I do support criminal profiling. That said, the people who flat out ignore this is an issue in America need to wake the F up. Political ties aside... it’s a problem. I really don’t see how anyone with a brain can’t see that. As for criminal profiling, in the right circumstances, I agree it’s a powerful tactic for law enforcement, but it’s used for unrelated purposes more often than not.

Maybe I am a bit biased because I had a friend who was a police officer in the gang division in Dallas and was shot and killed while trying to make an arrest. Until you or I live in an officers shoes and face the dangers he or she faces in life and death situations where hesitating for an instant can cost you your life, we will never understand. It is so very easy to arm chair QB and say the officer should have done this or that.

I realize racism amongst police exists. But in no way do I believe it is systemic. When a police officer commits a crime he or she should be punished. But the police should not be wholesale vilified for the actions of a few. My niece is married to a police officer in Charlotte and the experiences he has had are sometimes terrifying.

I fully support criminal profiling. It saves lives. And if the police did a better job of criminal profiling in cities like Chicago, many, many lives would be saved. I fear political correctness on this issue will cause the police to stop proactive policing and that will cost lives.

I don't want the police pulling over anyone because, in general, girls go missing. If there is a specific incident of a girl missing I would want cars pulled over based on the descriptions of the girl and anyone with whom she was seen prior to going missing. If she was kidnaps, and it is possible, I would want to police to set up road block and check every vehicle.
I have a lot of respect for you but girl is most likely in trunk and I want anybody and everybody stopped that fits the profile, for sure.

Ah yes.... The conservative deflect and giggle maneuver.... A move as old as "you aren't from around these parts... are ya, Boy?" retort....
If he was truly stopped for just being black, that was wrong. Cops know that drugs are being moved up through that corridor, he gave them a reason to stop him. I wish it hadn't happen.

I have a lot of respect for you but girl is most likely in trunk and I want anybody and everybody stopped that fits the profile, for sure.
I want anybody and everybody stopped. Trunks checked.

I don’t know what the tweet was about because it is long gone from the post, but I have to laugh at references to Wytheville and Summersville in this thread. I drove home from Atlanta to see my mother in Morgantown two weeks ago for her 90th and coming back, I got ticketed for speeding in Summersville. I was having a great conversation with my wife and just lost track of where I was. Been through there hundreds of times. Afterwards, My wife reminded me that I should set the cruise control. I agreed. Fast forward 2 hours. She is driving on I-81 near Wytheville and gets a speeding ticket. :) Two on the same day on one 10 hour road trip! Never happened before. We deserved them. It’s gets worse. The only reason I drove was because of my mother, to minimize chances of her exposure, otherwise I would have flown. I realized after I just paid $307 for tickets that we could have flown for a few more bucks and avoided the tickets all together. Of course we could have heeded the speed limit as well. Such is this season of life.

Im not saying that any were in this particular case but the fact still stands. Things like only seeing the governors of cities being talked about in cities with more strict lockdowns but no one wants to talk about the cops that are enforcing their unconstitutional laws. There are some cops that are standing up and saying they will not enforce those rules but I think they should also be doing the same when it comes to things like driving with a air freshener hanging from your rearview.

I will say that in this case this is a stupid victimless crime that I would say has probably done more harm than it has prevented.
The law states you cannot hang anything from a mirror that might obscure the driver's vision. You can't hang ID's for hospitals or govt agencies either. I didn't even know it existed.

Yeah, you can also strategically look at people who might actually do it. It's been done and done correctly.
You might you would want them checking every vehicle and every truck? What kind of father are you? :mask:

Reactions: Airport
You are the first white guy that I "cyber" met that has been pulled over for no real reason.

I have no other white friends that have ever been pulled over... ever. for no reason, essentially...

But, yet... almost all of my African American friends have been pulled over in their hometowns since getting their license at 16 at least once for "fitting a description."
I was pulled over one evening driving through the west side going home. I was 100% pulled over for no reason (said I had blown the light at Washington/Lee/Springdale which was absolutely, positively green), told to get out of the car, was subjected to an “officer safety” search, put through sobriety tests, and made to take a pbt. When I blew .03, he popped the mouthpiece at my feet, told me I “was lucky this time”, and left without as much as a “be safe.” He was fishing for dui’s and made up a reason that wasn’t provable like speeding or a dead tag to pull me over.

I somehow managed to refrain from telling him:1) I’m a lawyer; or 2) my cousin was chief of CPD at the time. I just did what the asshat asked.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT