ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce FW

Virginia peeps....Is it really illegal in Virginia to hang an airfresher from your rearview mirror?

If so, no wonder so many people are fleeing Virginia for WV because they are afraid of Richmond.
Just looked it up, it is and anything hanging from the mirror is.

So no athlete is allowed to say anything anymore, or else you want them to move on huh? Good luck recruiting kids in 2020 if that's your stance on things! I was not a fan AT ALL of how KM handled things, but your response also shows you aren't really willing to hear things out from both sides either.

I am not selling my soul for recruiting... My beliefs and position on law enforcement (my father was a cop for 35 years, my uncle was a Sheriff for two terms and a Deputy for 20 years before that) are more important to me than BFW or any WVU Football player or recruit.

It’s almost like driving through Summersville and being surprised when you get pulled over going 2mph over the speed limit. I’ll be here patiently waiting on Zach Frazier’s two page tweet when he gets pulled over.
I can tell you that going south. after leaving Va, you can increase your speed by 5mph without any hesitation. cops in Va are tougher on speeders.

Wythville is sketchy as hell. I’ve been pulled over from Roanoke to Lewisburg before. Even over a minor traffic violation, I was still told to get out of the vehicle. Trooper searched and asked if I had anything illegal on my person. It’s just routine for them to do that. But because of the current climate we’re in now, everything someone in blue does is now racist.
I’ve driven through that area numerous times over the past few years as a 40 something white dude and never been pulled over. And one time I was worried about it bc we were in my wife’s car and she’d let her tags expire.

Not saying it’s you at all, but it shouldn’t be in any way political to understand that young black men face different challenges and have since the inception of our country.

Reactions: CpEER and malew1
Do you think kids like BFW just make this stuff up? Why is it that this ultra-conservative board has such a hard time embracing the fact that racism is real and that it happens each and every day. SMH.
I’m white and I’ve been pulled over probably 10-12 times for everything ranging from tail lights (weren’t broken) to radar detector (wasn’t plugged in) on the at stretch of road between Fancy Gap and Bluefield. I’ve only ever received 1 actual ticket for the radar detector. I don’t even use my cruise control for fear of topping a hill and overshooting my speed by more than 3 MPH.

Anyone from the Southern part of WV knows you don’t speed through there. Shit, you don’t even drive through there if you can help it. It’s one of the most active police stops in the country. They look for out of state tags and more importantly, Ontario tags.

BTW because dangling masks have caused accidents and state law prohibits dangling items from the mirror they have stepped up enforcement on this issue

My mother in law got a ticket in Huntington a month ago (yes I know what was she doing there) but there was a policeman had a car pulled over and she was in the right hand lane and she drove on. Well another policeman pulled out of the median and pulled her over and I didn’t even know it’s a law that you have to move to the left lane when passing a policeman when they have when they have someone pulled over. She is Lilly white 73 years old and pulled over by a person of color. You are right racism/conservatism is alive and well here ........

Its actually a little known law that you do indeed have to pull over to the left, reduce your speed to 25, when you are passing a police officer who has pulled over another motorist. The only reason I happen to know? I was pulled over by an officer, when I failed to do so, and given a warning.

Reactions: CFLeer
I’ve driven through that area numerous times over the past few years as a 40 something white dude and never been pulled over. And one time I was worried about it bc we were in my wife’s car and she’d let her tags expire.

Not saying it’s you at all, but it shouldn’t be in any way political to understand that young black men face different challenges and have since the inception of our country.
It seems like the only people that don’t want racism gone is the ones who keep bringing it up as a crutch when something doesn’t go their way.

Just giving you the rasberries. Va has been turning into a shithole since all those kids started voting in northern Va.

It's not so much the kids but their parents who are on the gov't teet and want to think that they're not dispensable. NoVa has turned into a place that looks nothing like it did when I was growing up and it's all due to bloated govt...but hey anyone have $26T laying around?

This one isn't even debatable. As Tupac once said, West side, Cause you and I know it's the best side.

Almost everyone who’s ever drove through Wytheville has been pulled over by the cops. The speed limit is 55 on the interstate. Something tells me there’s more to the story but yeah muh racism and stuff.

it’s most definitely 70 on the interstate through there. 55 through the tunnels but it’s 70 in wville.

I’m trying to still figure out how someone knows your skin color when they are TRAVELING behind you. Maybe the cop is just looking for another ticket REGARDLESS of your skin color. At some point this is going to blow up and it’s not going to be good for anyone me and everyone on this board included. I mean everyone.
Hmm, the officer can see stuff hanging from the rear view mirror but can't tell who is driving the car. I'd like to know how your eyesight can be so good on one front but horrible on another. I just struggle to understand how us, as a society, can pretend to know or understand what someone else has to deal with on a regular basis. Why can't we show empathy and compassion rather than point fingers. Why can't we actually sit down with someone and ask questions and want to learn why people feel the way they do or what it is like to walk in their shoes, rather brushing it off and belittling it. I really believe as a society we can do better but sometimes I really wonder if I'm going to see it.

Exactly right. I’m sick of the, we root for these kids on game days, but screw them and their lives outside of sports. You wonder why WV has to fight so hard to recruit and we face a nasty stigma? It’s posts like this from the OP.
Agree totally. I can't believe some of the posts on here. It's truly embarrassing. If I had to go into a police car for having an air freshener hanging from my rearview mirror, I'd be talking to the judge. I've got the time. This sounds like discrimination at its worst that only got cleared up because he is a college football player....

Do you think kids like BFW just make this stuff up? Why is it that this ultra-conservative board has such a hard time embracing the fact that racism is real and that it happens each and every day. SMH.
In a lot of cases? Yes, the part about “not doing anything wrong”.

How can you possibly know this officer is racist? He got off with a warning for gosh sakes. Have you ever heard of the Pygmalion Effect? If you expect something to happen, it will (self fulfilling prophecy) in your mind even if it is not real. In other words, if FW expected the officer to be a racist, no matter what the officer does, FW will deem his actions to be racist. I have been pulled over for what I thought was BS and gotten a ticket. It happens each and every day.

There are certainly racists in this country and if a police officer is racist (hard to hide) and their actions cross the line, they should be punished based on the offense. But many have to come to believe that officers are systemically racist and target blacks for assassination. This is false and study after study have proven them to be false. But the belief continues regardless of the facts.

Its actually a little known law that you do indeed have to pull over to the left, reduce your speed to 25, when you are passing a police officer who has pulled over another motorist. The only reason I happen to know? I was pulled over by an officer, when I failed to do so, and given a warning.

Well I would have been guilty I never knew that. Now I do but honestly she just made a mistake and I might have made the same mistake

Wythville is sketchy as hell. I’ve been pulled over from Roanoke to Lewisburg before. Even over a minor traffic violation, I was still told to get out of the vehicle. Trooper searched and asked if I had anything illegal on my person. It’s just routine for them to do that. But because of the current climate we’re in now, everything someone in blue does is now racist.
I've gotten pulled over by both the state police and sheriff's dept for speeding on numerous occasions over the past 40 years around Wytheville. If you are speeding, you will get caught there. But, never have I been aske to get out of my car. That's insane.

Reactions: TerriEER
Hmm, the officer can see stuff hanging from the rear view mirror but can't tell who is driving the car. I'd like to know how your eyesight can be so good on one front but horrible on another. I just struggle to understand how us, as a society, can pretend to know or understand what someone else has to deal with on a regular basis. Why can't we show empathy and compassion rather than point fingers. Why can't we actually sit down with someone and ask questions and want to learn why people feel the way they do or what it is like to walk in their shoes, rather brushing it off and belittling it. I really believe as a society we can do better but sometimes I really wonder if I'm going to see it.
I don’t want to sit around tugging on each other’s pricks. I have enough friends and like to reserve the right to step right over you as you’re laying on the ground in agony or distress. Outside of my friends and my family, I literally do not care about other people.

Wheaton was on our more vocal problem children in June... And during the KM thing. He makes some boneheaded plays on the field as well. I wouldn't cry if he moved on....
Are you serious? Lord have mercy..... [roll]

Wytheville is a sketchy area to drive through. From the traffic with two interstates merging, to the speed traps, to the heavy truck flow, I always have a sigh of relief when I get out of that area.

Reactions: wvmoose
Why do you automatically think it's racism? Wytheville cops are notoriously known for being assholes. I've had my own dealings with them when I used to drive to Florida.

I don’t want to sit around tugging on each other’s pricks. I have enough friends and like to reserve the right to step right over you as you’re laying on the ground in agony or distress. Outside of my friends and my family, I literally do not care about other people.
When are you running for office? You sound like a politician that doesn't know how to lie and I believe there might be a use for that, even if it is just to show how evil they truly are.

Reactions: roadtrasheer
On a side note, does this mean we are going to a bowl?

My son had a 03 Caddy Deville, cheery red from 2013-2016. He blacked out the wheels and tented the windows (to the legal tent). He would go on I 80 to get back to school. He was pulled over 95% of the time. He said they would even abandon other cars they had pulled over to get him. He never got a ticket but was questioned multiple times and asked to allow for the cops to search his car....he always refused.

He was profiled every time, and for good reason. Major drug channel from the east coast to Cleveland. Car was pimped out and he was going the speed limit. He understood this, and I did not mind one bit...as he knew his car was a police magnet and he had to be respectful when pulled over. He did say a couple of times he could see the disappointment on their face when they saw a college kid, clean cut with a cat in a carrier instead of a major drug bust.

When I lived in Charleston, I was pulled over and 6 police cars showed up. Told me to get out and get on the ground. I was scared to death...once they ran my license and the plates (temps) they let me go. Found out a bank was robbed 15 minutes earlier and the getaway car was the same color and I had a green jacket on (just like the robber).

That being said, we do not know what was going on that day, what may have just happened or maybe they were looking for a similar car for suspicious activity...and we will never know...and yes it could have been a racist cop looking for his next victim. I guess I an optimist...98% of the police are trying to do the right thing...but the 2% is driving a false narrative.

I've been stopped in that area too. 13% of the population commit 22% of the felonies. You think that has something to do with being stopped on a highway where drugs are known to being transported.
You are the first white guy that I "cyber" met that has been pulled over for no real reason.

I have no other white friends that have ever been pulled over... ever. for no reason, essentially...

But, yet... almost all of my African American friends have been pulled over in their hometowns since getting their license at 16 at least once for "fitting a description."

Drugs are moved up through that area. A lot of the arrested are in the regional jail here, not to mention all the other jails. Cops are watching in that area.
Why would the cop suspect BFW of moving drugs? When you got told to get out of the car, did the cop make you sit in his car for 30 minutes? There is an issue with this encounter. Surely you understand that.

I'm with BFW on this one. Ridiculous to pull someone over for having an air freshener hanging from the mirror. Of course he was profiled.

Reactions: preluderl
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT