ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 1, 2002
Im starting to get information that the conference stuff is getting serous(not a split but just lots of fighting inside the league), and that winning at all levels in the athletic department is important, facility improvements need to continue, and growing our fan base.

As one person said the WVU family needs to stop fighting and get over all the agendas. Winning is important.

I agree. The way I communicate this is WVU has to continue to improve its brand. We are now getting several years removed from BCS wins and the further we get away from playing at a high level the more our brand changes. WVU has had very good PR on the research side with engineering making national news with the carbon emissions find in the auto industry, gold medals, and our overall athletic success but we must continue getting better. Falling season ticket sales and average win seasons need to improve to keep WVU's brand growing. I agree the past agenda's of Rod, Stew, Ollie, Gee, and Dana needs to be put into perspective and understand winning is where we need to be moving forward.

Don't knock the knowledge of Danny Cline, Keaton. The man has a flyin' car and talking dog DJ's. Do you?

I think the point made is we have a brand to that needs to be built upon and the longer we put distance between ourselves and those BCS wins without playing at a high level our brand will continue to slide.

I can't think of a single person at WVU or fan that doesn't want to improve the 'brand'.

The problem is improving means its time to stop making excuses for Dana. Its time to win because the Big 12 and our future needs us to win.

Everybody would like to win... ...saying we want it to happen doesn't make it any more likely. The Dana 'situation' is close to ending but getting a new coach doesn't mean more wins either.

Personally I think our school needs to start a 'Stadium Fund' (investing it) regardless if we yet have plans to build a new one. It might be 25 years away but with construction cost soaring (on pace with health care) starting now makes sense imo.

Tax or at least take a share of every ticket sold for football and set it up in a fund. Take the money from the new championship game and toss it in there too. If the Big 12 adds teams take that additional profit and add it also. WVU is getting PLENTY from our base money from the Big 12 now....time to think long term.

Reactions: WVex-pat in GA
Everybody would like to win... ...saying we want it to happen doesn't make it any more likely. The Dana 'situation' is close to ending but getting a new coach doesn't mean more wins either.

Personally I think our school needs to start a 'Stadium Fund' (investing it) regardless if we yet have plans to build a new one. It might be 25 years away but with construction cost soaring (on pace with health care) starting now makes sense imo.

Tax or at least take a share of every ticket sold for football and set it up in a fund. Take the money from the new championship game and toss it in there too. If the Big 12 adds teams take that additional profit and add it also. WVU is getting PLENTY from our base money from the Big 12 now....time to think long term.
Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State and Michigan are all still playing in a stadium built in the 1920 - with no plans to build new ones. Why would we need to build a new one?

Reactions: Mr.Hyde
Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State and Michigan are all still playing in a stadium built in the 1920 - with no plans to build new ones. Why would we need to build a new one?

Fine...a major improvement/expansion fund.

....and our stadium looks cheap (and actually is) compared to many of the ones you mentioned. I get your point though...I feel that way about the Coliseum. I consider it a landmark that will only need updated forever.

No way . Breaking news
which is why the WVU needs to st

There are two ways to expand the Big 12. The first is by taking new teams, but no one can agree on who to bring in and now ESPN wants no part of us expanding. So, the second way to expand the league is organically, which means the brand name programs need to step up their game. Iowa State, Kansas, Texas Tech, and even Kansas State are not brand names(now would it be nice for this programs to be successful, sure). For what ever its worth Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor (thanks to RGIII), Oklahoma State, and WVU are the teams that need to carry the Big 12. We need to step up and be a factor. To be a factor the fan base needs to support the program and not a coach, movement, or have agenda's. Rod left this program divided and the only going to bring that back is winning.

Why a new stadium? Why not finish out the one we have on a first class basis including a new pressbox with luxury suites on both sides? It's still expandable by adding a second deck on either or both end zones.

Rebuild the Caperton indoor facility to NFL standards. A lot less money.

The problem is improving means its time to stop making excuses for Dana. Its time to win because the Big 12 and our future needs us to win.

You're delusional if you really think WVU winning has anything to do with the survival of the Big12. WVU is literally irrelevant to the stability question. It's all about Texas and Oklahoma. If the Big10 or SEC goes after one of those two programs and they move then the Big12 is doomed.

Reactions: xgunnx
which is why the WVU needs to st

There are two ways to expand the Big 12. The first is by taking new teams, but no one can agree on who to bring in and now ESPN wants no part of us expanding. So, the second way to expand the league is organically, which means the brand name programs need to step up their game. Iowa State, Kansas, Texas Tech, and even Kansas State are not brand names(now would it be nice for this programs to be successful, sure). For what ever its worth Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor (thanks to RGIII), Oklahoma State, and WVU are the teams that need to carry the Big 12. We need to step up and be a factor. To be a factor the fan base needs to support the program and not a coach, movement, or have agenda's. Rod left this program divided and the only going to bring that back is winning.

Again........stability is all about Texas/Oklahoma creating a true partnership to stabilize the Big12. WVU leading the stability charge? Come on man get your head in the game!!!

Until WVU begins to play and win more like an Oklahoma or an Ohio State and builds up a mystique like the top brands then we are always vulnerable to the whims of those that are already in the top tier. If WVU athletics and fans accept being "helpless" or the Big 12's version of Purdue (from the B1G) or Mississippi State of the SEC, or Oregon State of the PAC, then we will never get there. WVU needs to pile up double digit win seasons now...not in another half decade or so of DH leadership.

Reactions: ColoradoMountaineer
Until WVU begins to play and win more like an Oklahoma or an Ohio State and builds up a mystique like the top brands then we are always vulnerable to the whims of those that are already in the top tier. If WVU athletics and fans accept being "helpless" or the Big 12's version of Purdue (from the B1G) or Mississippi State of the SEC, or Oregon State of the PAC, then we will never get there. WVU needs to pile up double digit win seasons now...not in another half decade or so of DH leadership.

Root I get what you're saying and you make good points but the WVU brand will never be an Oklahoma or Ohio State level. Never! That doesn't mean WVU can't leave a mark. WVU is simply a supplementary part in the equation and nothing more.

So to sum up 5150's usual crap

Need to fire Dana to save the conference

Outstanding
Im not getting in this middle school fight with you and 5150 , and agree that its more important for WVU to have success for WVU and not the Big 12. What I will say is if the Big 12 breaks up its critical to have that real strong brand, and the more time we put between us and those BCS wins(or playing on a national level) the more our brand is being hurt. As I said before, this topic is not about a coach but about WVU and its need to look, act, and big strong on a large scale. I will agree with 5150, that this Big 12 stuff is getting serious. We don't have a certain Senator heading up the Commerce Committee to strong arm a TV network or a conference to get us to the door step. Winning takes cares of problems in all sports.

BTW, I think this is the year that the baseball program gets over the hump and makes the tourney. So having two out of three of the major make sports playing at the national level is a good start.

Root I get what you're saying and you make good points but the WVU brand will never be an Oklahoma or Ohio State level. Never! That doesn't mean WVU can't leave a mark. WVU is simply a supplementary part in the equation and nothing more.
If you noticed I never said Ohio State, but I did include all the upper teams of the Big 12. The point being made is we need to make our conference a success and you do that by winning.

In the eyes of some, WVU will never be a top level program even if they become a common fixture in the AP Top 10 again.

But winning really does cure everything. It fills the stadium, attracts viewership on TV and gets you constantly mentioned by ESPN and others.

The big 12's long term stability has always been in question and whatever moves the conference makes probably won't ensure long term stability past the current GOR. The best thing Wvu can do is try to get back to the perception the program had during 2005-2007 to strengthen its position in case the big 12 falls apart. Competing at this high level won't guarantee Wvu has a landing spot in one of the other power conferences if the Big 12 where to dissolve but it would make whatever left over conference that is formed more Viable. Continuing to remain in the middle of the pack of this under performing conference threatens any negotiating power Wvu may have if the worst case scenario's regarding the future of the big 12 play out.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllEers6
If you noticed I never said Ohio State, but I did include all the upper teams of the Big 12. The point being made is we need to make our conference a success and you do that by winning.

Sorry I didn't notice that part of your post. I responded to Root. My opinion is that the conference is in good shape if Texas and Oklahoma stick together and leverage their brand names for the good of the entire conference. Whether WVU wins or not mean virtually nothing to the concept of Big12 survival. Thinking WVU has a big role to play in this drama is misguided IMO. It's all about the two big boys. Everyone else is along for the ride. No one nationally gives a crap about KSU, WVU, ISU, Kansas, TTU, TCU or Oaklahoma ST. Texas and Oklahoma carry the flag that the networks value. To a lesser extent lately maybe Baylor.

Last edited:
I've got a better one. "The Missouri state motto is 'The show me state'. Gentlemen, go out there and show them, every down, that they do not belong on the same field as WVU!"

The game against Missouri might give us an idea of how good are offense will be in the early season. On paper this unit should be one of the best will have to face all season. Missouri did lose 2 D Lineman which will hurt them but overall most people still think this unit is good. It will be interesting to see if the mountaineer OLine can pound these guys and open up holes in the running game. If we can accomplish this we could be in for a big year on offense. On the flip side the Missouri Offense may be one of the worst will see all year if there able to rack up big yards then the worst case scenarios of are defensive play may become reality.

Sorry I didn't notice that part of your post. I responded to Root. My opinion is that the conference is in good shape if Texas and Oklahoma stick together and leverage their brand names for the good of the entire conference. Whether WVU wins or not mean virtually nothing to the concept of Big12 survival. Thinking WVU has a big role to play in this drama is misguided IMO. It's all about the two big boys. Everyone else is along for the ride. No one nationally gives a crap about KSU, WVU, ISU, Kansas, TTU, TCU or Oaklahoma ST. Texas and Oklahoma carry the flag that the networks value. To a lesser extent lately maybe Baylor.
but it is important for WVU to hold onto its brand and at this point its slipping

but it is important for WVU to hold onto its brand and at this point its slipping

I have to agree that a strong conference cannot be two teams plus the rest. There are a couple of conferences like that. It's much better to emulate the SEC where there are four or five teams garnering respect by winning to go with those big dogs.

If the Big 12 can average five teams in the Top 25 it makes for a stronger conference, and WVU needs to be one of them. They just might be, starting this season with that OL and Gibby's guidance of talent with speed.

This may be the fastest WVU team ever at skill positions on both sides of the ball. Speed kills.

I have to agree that a strong conference cannot be two teams plus the rest. There are a couple of conferences like that. It's much better to emulate the SEC where there are four or five teams garnering respect by winning to go with those big dogs.

If the Big 12 can average five teams in the Top 25 it makes for a stronger conference, and WVU needs to be one of them. They just might be, starting this season with that OL and Gibby's guidance of talent with speed.

This may be the fastest WVU team ever at skill positions on both sides of the ball. Speed kills.

No.

The best thing Texas and Oklahoma can do to help the Big 12 and themselves at this point is almost nothing. Go along with expanding the conference by two teams with six team divisions and a CCG.

The Big 12 becomes strongest if Texas and Oklahoma keep their cards and intentions about staying or leaving hidden until renegotiation time. Let the other conferences make their pitch to steal them away, they've heard it all before. If they leave, they leave. A marriage certificate has never forced a wandering spouse to stay, it only affects the terms of the split.

But if the Big 12 is doing well after 2020, it becomes more valuable to the broadcast entities intact as a conference. Especially if they are about to become a 'free agent'. ESPN can be very forgiving when bidding against competition for what has been making them money.

Why a new stadium? Why not finish out the one we have on a first class basis including a new pressbox with luxury suites on both sides? It's still expandable by adding a second deck on either or both end zones.

Rebuild the Caperton indoor facility to NFL standards. A lot less money.

We have discussed it before, but one possibility is that WVU-H wants the land.

I don't think it's imminent, but investing an additional 30 years into the location probably isn't feasible.

I know very small health care systems acquiring adjacent land to their flagship hospitals at a rapid pace. This property really should be in the hands of WVU-H, it's what makes most sense.

Yep - increasing enrollment, large scale development across campus and town, record setting revenue for our athletic department, improved academic profile....all signs point to slipping brand recognition.

Folks, how can we turn this ship around?

Reactions: SteelHeadEer

Yep - what the B12 really needs is for all the schools to win all their games against every opponent. Both in and out of conference, of course.

IMO, if all the teams in the B12 don't all go 12-0 this season, we might have a problem.

Yep - increasing enrollment, large scale development across campus and town, record setting revenue for our athletic department, improved academic profile....all signs point to slipping brand recognition.

Folks, how can we turn this ship around?
Not playing football at a high level

As I said, the longer we put time in between us and those BCS bowls the more our brand slips. I already address the positive things happening in other areas of WVU but winning is what matters.

Those are very selective examples. I assume you were also against the construction MPS?

Ya know, the Chicago Cubs still play in their original park.

Last edited:
Not playing football at a high level

As I said, the longer we put time in between us and those BCS bowls the more our brand slips. I already address the positive things happening in other areas of WVU but winning is what matters.

We already are playing football at a high level. Perhaps the highest level in college football. A few years ago when we were in the Big East, I'm not sure you could say the same.

I know most fans need 10 wins every season to pacify their own raging insecurities but you don't always get whatchya want.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT