ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball team's road troubles

The Bell Tolls for Thee

All-Conference
Feb 15, 2005
Almost got nipped by a Texas team that has some talent, but is by no means a good team. Don't want a repeat of last season where playing poorly on the road or on neutral ground results in early tourney exit.

Road trouble = Win

Good trouble to have.

Almost only counts in Horseshoes and hand grenades

Did we lose this game? Please help me out here!

Texas seems to give us problems no matter what!

I think Texas played one of there best games this season against us and we played poorly and still won. I'll take it!!!!

Road games ain't charity games. Texas has a good team and came to play. They had their fans and WV had their coaches. Give WV credit where credit is due.

Reactions: The Hunteeeeeer
Did we lose this game? Please help me out here!

Texas seems to give us problems no matter what!

Didn't say we lost, but this game was on the same level of TTU. The difference was Texas wasn't shooting as hot as TTU. Just pointing out that playing flat on the road could cost seeding for the dance and potentially put us out early like last year. I think this team is good enough that it should be able to beat most big 12 teams even on the road.

First we won today, played poorly but held the lead most of the game, and although we won by 2 it's not like there was dramatics needed to win, we had control in the final minute, the final Texas bucket was a garbage time bucket where all our guys were doing was looking to not foul. So overall a win vs a bad team this year but a clearly talented team that is working on putting it together next year and they probably will. Despite their record they are dangerous. The same will be true when we play Oklahoma next week.

Secondly, we are 4-2 on true road or neutral floors thus far including possibly the best road win of the Huggins era @UVA, nothing there yet to indicate this team is going to have trouble winning games away from home, at least not at any concerningly poor percentage

We are better than last year, we've seen enough to reasonably conclude that, and I don't believe for one second that this team will come out flat again in the tournament after last year.

Shaka Smart is going to deliver. He has his kids believing. They will be a tough out in the future. We had enough to win. Lots of time in the past we would not have hung in there. Road wins are going to be hard to get.

Flu Bug, Game after beating Number 1, Texas shot well and we are a target being a Top Ten team. Good to win on the road anytime by any score.

Also Big 12 bottom teams are better than a lot of middle of the pack teams in some other conferences. I think all are in the RPI top 100.

Correction - I see Texas and Oklahoma are now a lot lower, but the other 8 are in the RPI top 60

Last edited:
Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
The Flu is running through the team and we are on the road and get a win against Texas who sports 4 and 5 star recruits............and people are complaining.

Almost got nipped by a Texas team that has some talent, but is by no means a good team. Don't want a repeat of last season where playing poorly on the road or on neutral ground results in early tourney exit.

Every team in the BIG 12 is a tough road game. People act as if Texas is a horrible team just because they are 7-10. Their 10 losses is by an average of 7 points. There are no easy road games in the Big 12.

As Huggins pointed out, WVU may travel more miles than any other college team. 2,000 mile round trip for every game. Think about that?

Sure, WVU had more energy against Baylor, at home! But the team is 15-2, with the 2 losses by a combined total of 5 points preventing an undefeated season. That's pretty damn awesome.

Pretty sure most/all teams would take a .750 winning percentage in true road games, which we are now. League road wins are always good as pointed above.

WV won't win every game (whether at home or on the road) by 30 points. Get over yoself and concentrate on your own personal game.

Pretty sure most/all teams would take a .750 winning percentage in true road games, which we are now. League road wins are always good as pointed above.
Particularly if your team takes a 2,000 mile round trip to play the road games. That makes what Huggins and the guys are doing even more incredible. No one else in the country is traveling that many miles to play basketball. And certainly not going wall to wall with the press from the opening tip to the final gun. This has the makings of a great movie if WVU can win it all.. I love this team and this coach. Only 5 points from being undefeated with all these elements to battle beyond what other teams have to deal with.

Last edited:
Looks like most posters were right. No need to be concerned about road troubles. Should of been concerned about troubles in general. Not seeing much positive in having to go to OT at home against a 7-9 team. This team is capable of more, just can't find consistency and has too many head scratching performances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT