ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release Addae now official

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Former Mountaineer all-conference safety Jahmile Addae (prounounced 'juh-mile uh-dye') returns home to West Virginia University as a member of its football coaching staff on the the defensive side announced today by head football coach Neal Brown. Brown will announce staff assignments at a later time.

"It's great to have a former Mountaineer join our coaching staff," Brown said. "Jahmile certainly made his mark here as an All-Big East performer and I know he is excited to return. He has strong coaching experience behind him at several stops since he last was in Morgantown, but the gold flying WV on his shirt looks the best on him. He was a part of what helped make this place so special, and it was time for him to return to his alma mater."

Addae comes back to Morgantown after serving as the defensive backs coach and assisting with several special teams' phases at Minnesota in 2018. His punt return unit finished No. 1 in the nation (22.3), punt return defense was No. 2 (1.11) and the kickoff return unit finished No. 26 nationally (23.4).

"I am super excited to be back home at West Virginia, a place that is dear to my heart," Addae said. "I don't look at this as just a job; this school and this state are my life. Gold and Blue runs through my blood. My time here as a player meant a lot to me, and I am looking forward to working for Coach Neal Brown and being on the Mountaineer coaching staff."

Prior to Minnesota, Addae spent five years at Arizona, coaching the defensive backs in 2016-17 and serving as an analyst from 2013-15.

Addae developed a youthful defensive secondary into some of the team's top performers. In 2017, Lorenzo Burns, Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, Scottie Young and Jace Whittaker combined for 261 tackles, 24 pass breakups and 12 interceptions.

In 2010-11, Addae was the running backs coach at Cincinnati, where he mentored All-Big East Second-Team selection Isaiah Pead. Pead rushed for 1,029 yards, ranking No. 1 in the conference and in the top-10 nationally in yards per carry (6.6).

Pead averaged 93.6 yards per game and was Cincinnati's first 1,000-yard rusher in almost a decade and at the time was the Bearcats' seventh player to hit the mark.

Addae was recognized by Rivals.com as one of the top-10 recruiters in the Big East Conference.

Before coaching the Bearcats, Addae served as Cincinnati's director of player development. He also managed many of the team's off-the-field responsibilities, including the Cats In The Community program.

Prior to his time at Cincinnati, he was a defensive graduate assistant at Michigan, where he worked with the Wolverines' secondary and scout team offense.

After graduating from WVU in 2006, Addae was a graduate assistant in the football video department at West Virginia.

The Valrico, Florida, native was a four-year starter, two-time captain and two-time All-Big East defensive back at West Virginia.

Addae, who is tied for the WVU record for most pass breakups in a game (5, Rutgers, 2002), finished his WVU career with 253 tackles, including 152 solo stops and 25 pass breakups, ranking No. 5 in program history. He also ranks No. 3 in single-season pass breakups with 16 during the 2002 season.

He was selected for the Senior Bowl in 2006 and participated in the NFL Combine. He signed a free agent contract with his hometown Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2006 and spent the end of the season with the Indianapolis Colts.

Addae, and his wife, Maryann, have two sons, Agyeman and Ayden.

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Former Mountaineer all-conference safety Jahmile Addae (prounounced 'juh-mile uh-dye') returns home to West Virginia University as a member of its football coaching staff on the the defensive side announced today by head football coach Neal Brown. Brown will announce staff assignments at a later time.

"It's great to have a former Mountaineer join our coaching staff," Brown said. "Jahmile certainly made his mark here as an All-Big East performer and I know he is excited to return. He has strong coaching experience behind him at several stops since he last was in Morgantown, but the gold flying WV on his shirt looks the best on him. He was a part of what helped make this place so special, and it was time for him to return to his alma mater."

Addae comes back to Morgantown after serving as the defensive backs coach and assisting with several special teams' phases at Minnesota in 2018. His punt return unit finished No. 1 in the nation (22.3), punt return defense was No. 2 (1.11) and the kickoff return unit finished No. 26 nationally (23.4).

"I am super excited to be back home at West Virginia, a place that is dear to my heart," Addae said. "I don't look at this as just a job; this school and this state are my life. Gold and Blue runs through my blood. My time here as a player meant a lot to me, and I am looking forward to working for Coach Neal Brown and being on the Mountaineer coaching staff."

Prior to Minnesota, Addae spent five years at Arizona, coaching the defensive backs in 2016-17 and serving as an analyst from 2013-15.

Addae developed a youthful defensive secondary into some of the team's top performers. In 2017, Lorenzo Burns, Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles, Scottie Young and Jace Whittaker combined for 261 tackles, 24 pass breakups and 12 interceptions.

In 2010-11, Addae was the running backs coach at Cincinnati, where he mentored All-Big East Second-Team selection Isaiah Pead. Pead rushed for 1,029 yards, ranking No. 1 in the conference and in the top-10 nationally in yards per carry (6.6).

Pead averaged 93.6 yards per game and was Cincinnati's first 1,000-yard rusher in almost a decade and at the time was the Bearcats' seventh player to hit the mark.

Addae was recognized by Rivals.com as one of the top-10 recruiters in the Big East Conference.

Before coaching the Bearcats, Addae served as Cincinnati's director of player development. He also managed many of the team's off-the-field responsibilities, including the Cats In The Community program.

Prior to his time at Cincinnati, he was a defensive graduate assistant at Michigan, where he worked with the Wolverines' secondary and scout team offense.

After graduating from WVU in 2006, Addae was a graduate assistant in the football video department at West Virginia.

The Valrico, Florida, native was a four-year starter, two-time captain and two-time All-Big East defensive back at West Virginia.

Addae, who is tied for the WVU record for most pass breakups in a game (5, Rutgers, 2002), finished his WVU career with 253 tackles, including 152 solo stops and 25 pass breakups, ranking No. 5 in program history. He also ranks No. 3 in single-season pass breakups with 16 during the 2002 season.

He was selected for the Senior Bowl in 2006 and participated in the NFL Combine. He signed a free agent contract with his hometown Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2006 and spent the end of the season with the Indianapolis Colts.

Addae, and his wife, Maryann, have two sons, Agyeman and Ayden.
This IS how our special teams is gonna make a SUPERIOR impact on the conference..Guys I'm telling you,as for myself,there's an undeniable bubble of excitement,that I haven't felt in my "musket" since 07'.. I'm SERIOUSLY considering season tix. Even if I just purchase one,I'll still be around "my Mountaineer family".

Reactions: sccolaEER
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT