ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Network?

So right now the speculation is on July 19 the BIG 12 will announce that they are remaining status quo and on July 21 the ACC will announce some sort of network deal with ESPN a month or so after the BIG 12 --or the leaders anyway announced the BIG 12 couldn't have one because of "the market".

Should be an interesting month.

That's the point and timing I talked about with you about a while back as you turned into a real tool! Stick with Expansion and keep calling for the end of the ACC you punk computer geek tool. Riddle me this........when the ACC and ESPN blow each other(real soon) will that indicate to anyone that the ACC is not here as a P5 to stay? Make sure to back peddle, call me a few names and then jerk it to possible Big12 expansion. Have a good night ya tool.

For the other morons talking about poor market conditions crawl back under your rock. LOL. Nobody gives a crap about Big12 content. Outside of Texas and Oklahoma no one gives a crap about the other program. Not me! I like WVU and TCU as well! So save the crap stick up for the conference crap. It's historically the most dysfunctional conference because Texas is the most arrogant program in the country. Watching that Lornhorn circus at the NCAAs at the Consol a couple years back made me hate that place forever. Programs have always left the Big12. My guess is if the landscape changing again history will repeat itself.

Last edited:
It's official, the ACC network will launch in August of 2019 and will also include streaming content for all ACC schools. The deal also locks in Notre Dame to the ACC until 2039 if it tries to join a conference. This looks like a huge windfall of cash for all the schools, and solidifies the ACC as a top tier conference. Is this a great day to be a Pitt fan or what? :)

Panda

excerpt:

John Ourand Verified account ‏@Ourand_SBJ
Source: ESPN to launch a digital-only, "ACC Network Plus" in Aug 2016 and a linear "ACC Network" in Aug 2019. Full story in SBD tomorrow.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/esp...-by-2019-extends-acc-rights-through-2036.html

So--where's M Steve and Skygusty and the rest--bashing me endlessly? Explain again how there's "no market"?
"the market says there can't be a BIG 12 network"?

Just as I said. One day the network was not only a possibility, but advised and worth alot to each and every member, and then Texas said "we see no reason to give up the LHN". Next thing you know, no BIG 12 network---but somehow the ACC can have one.

2023 is fast approaching.

Reactions: Rootmaster
excerpt:

Source: ESPN to launch a digital-only, "ACC Network Plus" in Aug 2016 and a linear "ACC Network" in Aug 2019. Full story in SBD tomorrow.
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/esp...-by-2019-extends-acc-rights-through-2036.html

So--where's M Steve and Skygusty and the rest--bashing me endlessly? Explain again how there's "no market"?

Just as I said. One day the network was not only a possibility, but advised and worth alot to each and every member, and then Texas said "we see no reason to give up the LHN". Next thing you know, no BIG 12 network---but somehow the ACC can have one.

Flip flopper.

It's official, the ACC network will launch in August of 2019 and will also include streaming content for all ACC schools. The deal also locks in Notre Dame to the ACC until 2039 if it tries to join a conference. This looks like a huge windfall of cash for all the schools, and solidifies the ACC as a top tier conference. Is this a great day to be a Pitt fan or what? :)

Panda

Ouch!!! I've been saying all along that the ACC has the most fertile footprint in college football. So good that even the big bad Big10 had to come to NY and DC to secure their brand for the future. If they could take back their decision to let step child Big 12 Nebraska in they would. Had to listen to the resident morons chirp about how great the Big12 is and that the Big12 will be poaching the ACC into oblivion LOL! Although I am a Pitt grad I happen to have a lot of respect and fondness for WVU and realize WVU had no choice but to except the life preserver the Big12 threw out to WVU. However there is no question that the Big12 is in jeopardy at all times because Texas is a piece of shit partner that holds all of the cards. Anyone that argues against that fact is a resident moron.

Most of their contracts require them to show a certain amount of conference game nationally on cable (sat) right ?

ESPN can (or could) force markets to take SEC channels but there's no way people will pay for the ACC on a voluntary basis and cover Espns costs.

It was always about leverage (blackmail IMO) and not actual demand... ...which is why most of us have more than 10X the channels available than we would ever consider watching.

resident moron

ESPN doesn't have the $$$ to single handedly prop up the ACC anymore. The ACC's only hope is that ESPN continues to bash and malign the B12 and limit their exposure to the point that it will reduce our next TV contracts. Then we might become the main course at the next GOR redo instead of the ACC. Someone's going to be dinner....hopefully it isn't the B12.

As much as I hate those asshats in the ACC, the best move for both conferences would be to merge the 2 and get rid of the dead weight (BC, Syracuse, Baylor(face it...they're toast), Iowa State, +/- Kansas and TTech). One conference that stretches as far North as Pa. As far South as FL and as far West as Texas. The only conference that would have anything close to the recruiting potential of that conference would be the SEC, and they would lack the Northern front this conference would have. The Basketball would be the best ever and the football would be neck and neck with the SEC. Shame that pride will keep it from happening.

Nothing in your post is going to happen unless Texas leaves the Big12

excerpt:

Oh, no, no, no. You can't point the finger at anybody. You said the ACC wasn't getting a network without buying back the rights from Raycom. You said there weren't any negotiations ongoing. You said ESPN wasn't paying for content they already own. Well, riddle me this, does this mean the ACC didn't buy back the rights from Raycom? Does this mean there weren't any discussions going on, since it wasn't reported? Does this mean ESPN is "paying twice" for content?

Hmm, looks to me like 3 years before a TV network gets going and VOILA---articles are talking about the rights from Raycom having to be gotten back. We'll see what the details say tomorrow.

There already has been a digital ACC network--it was launched a couple of years back--still no word on content.

Here's more info from ESPN for all of those that bashed me saying waiting for the ACC to crumble was fools gold and a disaster for the BIG 12:

excerpt:
The ACC also extended its conference grant of rights deal nine years through 2035-36, a source said.

The conference's grant of rights makes it untenable financially for a school to leave, guaranteeing in the 20 years of the deal that a school's media rights, including revenue, for all home games would remain with the ACC regardless of the school's affiliation.

The ACC's new grant of rights also automatically extends Notre Dame's contract with the conference as a member in all sports but football through 2035-36, a source said. If the Irish forgo football independence in the next 20 years, they are contracted to join the ACC.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...year-rights-deal-lead-2019-launch-acc-network
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...year-rights-deal-lead-2019-launch-acc-network

Hello M Steve? Skygusty? Everyone else? Hello????? Still waiting for the ACC to fall apart and schools to flock to the BIG 12 that is run by a Texas just trying to stall any BIG 12 movement until they bolt?

Reactions: Rootmaster
Hmm, looks to me like 3 years before a TV network gets going and VOILA---articles are talking about the rights from Raycom having to be gotten back. We'll see what the details say tomorrow.

There already has been a digital ACC network--it was launched a couple of years back--still no word on content.

No, sorry, you were wrong on this. You said Raycom wasn't selling, not to mention Fox. Well, sorry, but ESPN wouldn't be announcing this if they didn't already have a plan in place. Obviously, they either don't depend on the Raycom content (doubtful), or they are confident they will be able to get back the rights from Raycom and Fox (likely). You also said the ACC wasn't going to get enough carriage for a network, because of being unpopular up north and competing with the SEC down south. Well, obviously ESPN disagrees with you, otherwise they wouldn't be launching the network.

No, sorry, you were wrong on this. You said Raycom wasn't selling, not to mention Fox. Well, sorry, but ESPN wouldn't be announcing this if they didn't already have a plan in place. Obviously, they either don't depend on the Raycom content (doubtful), or they are confident they will be able to get back the rights from Raycom and Fox (likely). You also said the ACC wasn't going to get enough carriage for a network, because of being unpopular up north and competing with the SEC down south. Well, obviously ESPN disagrees with you, otherwise they wouldn't be launching the network.

LIES. I never once said anyone wasn't selling. I said there haven't been any reports those entities are selling.

So far, there haven't been any official announcements from the ACC. We don't know what will be on--maybe its repeats or sports people aren't watching until they get rights back from Raycom. You talk about carriage? ESPN has no carriage as of yet, so its premature at best to make some lying claims about carriage. Either way I never said they wouldn't have enough to have a network, that is another blatant LIE. I said that the territory you are claiming as "ACC" is grossly overstated.

LIES. I never once said anyone wasn't selling. I said there haven't been any reports those entities are selling.

So far, there haven't been any official announcements from the ACC. We don't know what will be on--maybe its repeats or sports people aren't watching until they get rights back from Raycom. You talk about carriage? ESPN has no carriage as of yet, so its premature at best to make some lying claims about carriage. Either way I never said they wouldn't have enough to have a network, that is another blatant LIE. I said that the territory you are claiming as "ACC" is grossly overstated.

Nope. Nothing I said was a lie. I can directly quote you to prove my point:

The ACC isn't getting full rates in NY, PA, GA, SC--many of the states that you claim.

Like I said, ESPN must disagree with you.

You are assuming that cable providers in places like Massachussetts and NY are going to pay for an ACC network and that is not likely. Syracuse isn't likely going to land providers in Buffalo, let alone NYC.

Yep, that fits right in to what I said about you claiming they wouldn't get enough subscribers to start a network.

If the ACC ever gets a network it's likely to be an extension of their digital network rather than something exactly like the SECn or BTN.

Well no, they get a full fledged cable channel in 2019. This one was wrong too.

The Pac hasn't been able to get deals with some satellite providers and with similar fan interest its doubtful the ACC would do much better there--in other words they would not strike deals with some of the major carriers.

This is you again saying they wouldn't get enough subscribers. Again, ESPN obviously doesn't agree with you, since they are launching the network.

I'm saying what the ACC is likely to get compared to the BTN or SECN is minimal

Tell ESPN.

NYC is hardly signing up for an ACC network because a small private school hrs. away in upstate NY is a member of the ACC. Philadelphia? There's no ACC school anywhere near Philadelphia and they aren't supporting Pittsburgh. The numbers you pretend exist are WAAY high.

And this isn't you saying the ACC won't get enough subscribers for a network? Please, that's exactly what you were saying.

Now, about Raycom and Fox not selling:

The problem for the ACC isn't how much ESPN can make--its what is Raycom and FOX going to SELL BACK those rights for? It isn't going to be cheap if they even want to do that. Raycom goes out of business as a result and FOX loses valuable east coast properties. Doubtful and nowhere close to happening.

"Nowhere close to happening."

Raycom has ACC product through 2027. Doubt Swoffords son is eager to put himself out of business in 2016 when there is no incentive to do so.

He must have gotten a new job.

Raycom is not trying to go out of business-don't be ridiculous. Actually you already have been so...

Well, they must be, since you said the ACC can't start a network without the rights from Raycom. Which leads to this point:

On the rights issue- the problem with rights is that FOX and Swoffords son via Raycom own all rights to the necessary inventory to create an ACC network and no buy backs are even at the negotiating stage from any reports out there.

Well, this is interesting. Raycom owns all the rights necessary to create an ACC network. So you were saying that two weeks ago, and now you're saying ESPN might use "repeats" or sports people aren't watching. Oh, really? I thought they couldn't create a network without the Raycom rights. Now, ESPN can use "repeats" to create a network?

You understand that right now ESPN owns rights, correct. They aren't paying twice for something they've already paid for as you are suggesting. They've already paid the ACC for those rights. They aren't going to pay more for rights they already own. That makes no sense.

Sooooo.....ESPN already owns the rights to "repeats" and "sports that nobody watches." So ESPN is going to pay the ACC for something they already own? I though you said that wouldn't happen?

Reread what I wrote. I stated clearly ESPN has NO INTENTION of starting an ACC network with content they've already paid for.

But they have intentions to start a network with "repeats" that the already own?

The ACC MUST have something--CONTENT--to put on any ACC network. There has to be something to show in the way of games. That all resides with Raycom and FOX. The ACC can't get subscriber fees for something it DOES NOT OWN.

Which brings us to this. The ACC must have content to put on the network. So "repeats" is content now?

right now the ACC has this to put on an ACC network-----------------------------.

And yet........

The ACC hasn't expanded so has the same inventory. As I stated and you denied multiple times until now, they would have to get back Raycom and FOX inventory to create the network or its a moot point.

Sooooooooo, if they don't have the rights back, ESPN will show "repeats?" Sounds rather far fetched. Sounds more like ESPN is confident they will get back those rights.

You've completely twisted what you said before--obviously now you understand that ESPN won't pay the ACC twice for content they own and the ACC must get content back in order to start a network. What you don't understand STILL is that the ACC is going to have to purchase those rights, or at least a portion from ESPN in order to get a network going or the ACC won't get any money at all from ESPN from that content. ESPN already paid for it once and have or are getting money from Raycom (who gets money from FOX) for that inventory. In order for the ACC to get money from it they will have to OWN it and resell it.

This is another point. Explain to me what rights the ACC bought back from ESPN. The only thing that happened was that ESPN extended the contract until 2036. No mention of rights that the ACC bought back and sold to ESPN.

ESPN is NOT going to reacquire the rights and give the ACC money for product ESPN owns and they aren't going to create an ACC network and give the ACC money unless the ACC buys back rights and provides the inventory for such a channel.

Well, the ACC hasn't bought back any rights, and they have a channel, so.....

ESPN is not going to buy back Raycom rights and do anything with that content. EVER. They have no reason to. They already are making money off of it. If for some odd reason they did get it back, they could put it on existing platforms for no extra money to the ACC, or they could create a new channel and put the content on it such as ESPN OCHO as I stated before.

Still think ESPN will put the Raycom rights on an "existing platform" or create "ESPN Ocho?" Actually, you might be right about that part, because the ACC won't have room for Raycom games, being that they to be filled up with "repeats."

That means they must either expand (not really an option because it will reduce shares to member schools from tv contracts) or BUY BACK RIGHTS TO GAMES

Well. they didn't have to do that, obviously.

Now for fun, let's look at some of your other predictions:

No one is in process of buying any ACC rights back.

Sure about that?

And if the ACC were going to be buying back rights they would be negotiating now for those rights. That isn't happening now.

Maybe?

There are no solid discussions to date for an ACC network

Epic fail.

its mid 2016 and no ACC network is even at the planning stages or having rights bought back.

Epic fail.

Stop pretending the ACC is on the verge of a network

Epic fail.

Well its mid 2016 now--and there hasn't been a contract signed or announced for an ACC network. You were 100% wrong on that.

Epic fail, again.

The ACC's problem is the SEC and Big Ten and BIG 12 because those conferences are far ahead of ACC per school revenue and likely to try to poach ACC school's in the future if they decide to expand.

Epic fail. (GoR until 2036.)

To date the ACC hasn't declared even that they will try to have a network--yet you claim 2016-2017 as a launch date so they wouldn't need to start buying back rights. Excuses. If the ACC were having a network anytime soon they would be negotiating for rights back already. Your spin is ridiculous.

Hilarious fail.

So yeah, I'm not lying.

Reactions: fedman
Go ahead and directly quote me TD LIAR. I'll be waiting. I haven't said what you claim I did.

The details should be out tomorrow I'd expect. Looking forward to some explanations there, and you'll still be lying.

Not sure why its so important to you to claim I've said things I never did. The problem seems to be your comprehension of things said.

Good for the ACC. They once again out manenvuered Texas (aka the Big 12). Either Texans are that dumb or that clever. Cant figure out which.

Market conditions do not represent some homogeneous playing field either. The market conditions for every conference are radically different. The Big12 has a couple of big negatives that the ACC does not have, the LHN and the fact that most of the population for that conference is in Texas were major problems. The ACC has different obstacles but they don't include a situation like the LHN and they have a much greater population base to draw from. The only market conditions that apply to both the ACC and the BIG12 is a reluctance to invest in more traditional conference networks. I suspect that the models that the ACC is looking at are pretty much the same as the BIG12 is looking at. I'd love to be able to make a direct purchase of a game that I can't watch because the LHN is carrying it. Will the LHN permit direct digital sale of content that is being broadcast on the LHN? I would hope so. If Texas and WVU are playing on the LHN they should split additional money from the digital sales.
This is the only post I ever made about the ACC network. Sounds like the network just announced for the ACC is not going to be a traditional network. Is the Big12 going to continue to let each school market their digital content or are they going to do something with the full weight of the conference behind it? I don't think either Texas or Oklahoma are going to do anything to benefit the conference at this point, so I am not optimistic. The other 8 teams are followers, not leaders.

Go ahead and directly quote me TD LIAR. I'll be waiting. I haven't said what you claim I did.

The details should be out tomorrow I'd expect. Looking forward to some explanations there, and you'll still be lying.

Not sure why its so important to you to claim I've said things I never did. The problem seems to be your comprehension of things said.

I did quote you directly. \

No, the problem is you were just flat out wrong and you won't admit it. It's there in black and white.

This is the only post I ever made about the ACC network. Sounds like the network just announced for the ACC is not going to be a traditional network. Is the Big12 going to continue to let each school market their digital content or are they going to do something with the full weight of the conference behind it? I don't think either Texas or Oklahoma are going to do anything to benefit the conference at this point, so I am not optimistic. The other 8 teams are followers, not leaders.

Yes it is. They are getting a full-fledged channel in 2019. While the linear network will launch by 2019, the ACC Network's digital channel will start this fall, sources said.

It's a regular channel, just like the BTN or SECN.

No, the problem is you were just flat out wrong and you won't admit it. It's there in black and white.

Yes it is. They are getting a full-fledged channel in 2019. While the linear network will launch by 2019, the ACC Network's digital channel will start this fall, sources said.

Well good for the ACC then. This and the extended GOR are probably all that is needed to keep the ACC intact and safe from the Big10 and the SEC for decades. Maybe there is still a small opening for WVU in the SEC after all - Oklahoma and WVU wouldn't be completely farfetched.

Well good for the ACC then. This and the extended GOR are probably all that is needed to keep the ACC intact and safe from the Big10 and the SEC for decades. Maybe there is still a small opening for WVU in the SEC after all - Oklahoma and WVU wouldn't be completely farfetched.

If the doomsday scenario happened, I would suspect West Virginia would end up in either conference. From the SEC's perspective, none of the other schools really have better markets (aside from maybe Oklahoma). The already have one Texas team, so another wouldn't be a new market either. Of course, the doomsday scenario isn't going to happen, so it's not really a problem.

Once again lying about what I've stated.

I'm one of the few here that said the ACC may still get a channel. I stated that the territory you claimed was overstated, that the numbers you gave for cable subscribers and pay tv subscribers was incorrect based on the real info from Neilsen, and that Raycom and FOX own content that will be required for a tv network.

Articles are referencing the Raycom product, the digital network starting soon will have Olympic events on it for three years-no reference to additional revenues for the ACC yet there, and it won't be until 2019 that the ACC can get a linear network with 40 football games. Raycom/FOX= the rights to 31 live football games and 60 live men’s basketball games. Haven't seen a report of purchase of those rights.

resident moron

I'm a little rough around the edges and at times I share my opinions in a confrontational manner...so yes, there are some people on the forums that don't like me. I doubt most of those same people think I'm a moron though (although they may use this op to take an easy shot at me).

You on the other hand don't garnish must respect from pretty much any valued posters. Why? ....because your opinions are almost always logically flawed if not accidentally comical. When you can't put together a coherent post you simply reply with a grade school insult similar to, 'Resident moron'. Impressive.

Once again lying about what I've stated.

I'm one of the few here that said the ACC may still get a channel. I stated that the territory you claimed was overstated, that the numbers you gave for cable subscribers and pay tv subscribers was incorrect based on the real info from Neilsen, and that Raycom and FOX own content that will be required for a tv network.

Articles are referencing the Raycom product, the digital network starting soon will have Olympic events on it for three years-no reference to additional revenues for the ACC yet there, and it won't be until 2019 that the ACC can get a linear network with 40 football games. Raycom/FOX= the rights to 31 live football games and 60 live men’s basketball games. Haven't seen a report of purchase of those rights.

I'm not lying about a damn thing. You said all this stuff, and now you don't want to admit you were wrong. You said:

If the ACC ever gets a network it's likely to be an extension of their digital network rather than something exactly like the SECn or BTN.

You were dead wrong here. The ACC is getting a cable channel, just like the SEC and Big Ten.

Stop pretending the ACC is on the verge of a network

Yeah, you were all over the ACC getting a network. Right.

You understand that right now ESPN owns rights, correct. They aren't paying twice for something they've already paid for as you are suggesting. They've already paid the ACC for those rights. They aren't going to pay more for rights they already own. That makes no sense.

This is another thing. This if from Sports Business Daily, and you quoted them extensively, so you can't say they're wrong. ACC games that appear on ESPN3 will move to the digital ACC Network Plus. Remember how you swore up and down ESPN wasn't paying for content they already own? Well, ESPN already owned the content that's being switched from ESPN3 to the network. So, that blows your theory to hell. Of course, as I told you, the payment from the network is not for content, but for subscribers, so ESPN isn't paying twice for it.

That leads to the point you made about Raycom. Where do you think the 40 games are coming from? The ACC has a total of 112 games. A few of those are OOC road games, so let's say that ends up being around 100 home games. 35 of the games go to Raycom, so that leaves ~65 games. Take out the 40 for the network, and that leaves ~15 games for the rest of ESPN's platforms. So is that what they're doing? ESPN is only going to have 15 games? You told me yourself the ACC wouldn't get a network unless they got back the rights from Raycom. Well, the ACC has a network, so what's the conclusion?

By the way, you are overlooking the fact that Raycom also owned the ACC's digital rights. The ACC's digital network starts next month. Well, that means ESPN has to have bought back the digital rights from Raycom. But I know, since there wasn't a press release about it, it couldn't have happened. Never mind all the legal implications. Because it wasn't mentioned in a press release, it obviously couldn't have happened.

Nope. Nothing I said was a lie. I can directly quote you to prove my point:

Like I said, ESPN must disagree with you.

Yep, that fits right in to what I said about you claiming they wouldn't get enough subscribers to start a network.

Well no, they get a full fledged cable channel in 2019. This one was wrong too.

This is you again saying they wouldn't get enough subscribers. Again, ESPN obviously doesn't agree with you, since they are launching the network.

Tell ESPN.

And this isn't you saying the ACC won't get enough subscribers for a network? Please, that's exactly what you were saying.

Now, about Raycom and Fox not selling:

"Nowhere close to happening."

He must have gotten a new job.

Well, they must be, since you said the ACC can't start a network without the rights from Raycom. Which leads to this point:

Well, this is interesting. Raycom owns all the rights necessary to create an ACC network. So you were saying that two weeks ago, and now you're saying ESPN might use "repeats" or sports people aren't watching. Oh, really? I thought they couldn't create a network without the Raycom rights. Now, ESPN can use "repeats" to create a network?

Sooooo.....ESPN already owns the rights to "repeats" and "sports that nobody watches." So ESPN is going to pay the ACC for something they already own? I though you said that wouldn't happen?

But they have intentions to start a network with "repeats" that the already own?

Which brings us to this. The ACC must have content to put on the network. So "repeats" is content now?

And yet........

Sooooooooo, if they don't have the rights back, ESPN will show "repeats?" Sounds rather far fetched. Sounds more like ESPN is confident they will get back those rights.

This is another point. Explain to me what rights the ACC bought back from ESPN. The only thing that happened was that ESPN extended the contract until 2036. No mention of rights that the ACC bought back and sold to ESPN.

Well, the ACC hasn't bought back any rights, and they have a channel, so.....

Still think ESPN will put the Raycom rights on an "existing platform" or create "ESPN Ocho?" Actually, you might be right about that part, because the ACC won't have room for Raycom games, being that they to be filled up with "repeats."

Well. they didn't have to do that, obviously.

Now for fun, let's look at some of your other predictions:

Sure about that?

Maybe?

Epic fail.

Epic fail.

Epic fail.

Epic fail, again.

Epic fail. (GoR until 2036.)

Hilarious fail.

So yeah, I'm not lying.
For same strange reason I imagine topdecker posting this while listening to 'Damn it feels good to be a gangsta' in the back ground.

I'm not lying about a damn thing. You said all this stuff, and now you don't want to admit you were wrong. You said:

You were dead wrong here. The ACC is getting a cable channel, just like the SEC and Big Ten.

Yeah, you were all over the ACC getting a network. Right.

This is another thing. This if from Sports Business Daily, and you quoted them extensively, so you can't say they're wrong. ACC games that appear on ESPN3 will move to the digital ACC Network Plus. Remember how you swore up and down ESPN wasn't paying for content they already own? Well, ESPN already owned the content that's being switched from ESPN3 to the network. So, that blows your theory to hell. Of course, as I told you, the payment from the network is not for content, but for subscribers, so ESPN isn't paying twice for it.

That leads to the point you made about Raycom. Where do you think the 40 games are coming from? The ACC has a total of 112 games. A few of those are OOC road games, so let's say that ends up being around 100 home games. 35 of the games go to Raycom, so that leaves ~65 games. Take out the 40 for the network, and that leaves ~15 games for the rest of ESPN's platforms. So is that what they're doing? ESPN is only going to have 15 games? You told me yourself the ACC wouldn't get a network unless they got back the rights from Raycom. Well, the ACC has a network, so what's the conclusion?

By the way, you are overlooking the fact that Raycom also owned the ACC's digital rights. The ACC's digital network starts next month. Well, that means ESPN has to have bought back the digital rights from Raycom. But I know, since there wasn't a press release about it, it couldn't have happened. Never mind all the legal implications. Because it wasn't mentioned in a press release, it obviously couldn't have happened.

Notice there is 0 mention of costs/revenue.

You have serious issues.

You can't post any quote of mine in relation to anything you are saying because what you say is a complete and total mischaracterization of everything I said.

I'm a little rough around the edges and at times I share my opinions in a confrontational manner...so yes, there are some people on the forums that don't like me. I doubt most of those same people think I'm a moron though (although they may use this op to take an easy shot at me).

You on the other hand don't garnish must respect from pretty much any valued posters. Why? ....because your opinions are almost always logically flawed if not accidentally comical. When you can't put together a coherent post you simply reply with a grade school insult similar to, 'Resident moron'. Impressive.

No, you and your few buddies who think you represent the entire Mountaineer nation are morons.

All of the crap all of you have spewed in your ridiculous attempts to smear me have been 100% incorrect and you are so ignorant and vile you still won't admit it.

Thankfully the BIG 12 is FINALLY starting to. Not there yet--they've got to actually take the action they are talking about.

You think way to highly of yourself sweetheart!

Yet more clarification on some of the issues that were argued:

With an ACC network the ACC would have something like a 50% ownership like the Big Ten does probably.

Skipper also noted ESPN will fully own the ACC Network, just as it does with the SEC Network. The ACC will get a new dedicated channel that's taken to the market for distributors, meaning it won't be a current ESPN-branded channel that changes into the ACC Network, Skipper said.

So, yes as I said, ESPN will own 100% of the network. That leads into the next point.

So yes, ESPN would be paying more to the ACC for the same rights they already own. If they didn't pay more for those rights but just put them on a different platform--what is the benefit to ESPN OR the ACC? There's no point in your mistaken "model". It doesn't work that way and neither side would benefit from that. The entire purpose for a network is to put inventory that isn't currently monetized on a new platform for both parties to make money. It isn't the same as putting the game on ESPN and shifting it to ESPN2 or ESPNU.

Might there be a day when a Duke-North Carolina basketball game is on the ACC Network in order to drive distribution? ESPN owns all of the ACC's rights so it's certainly possible. When ESPN2 was trying to get off the ground in 1998, the network aired Duke-North Carolina and set a viewership record at the time for the channel.

As I also said, ESPN owns all of the ACC's rights. There it is, right there. ESPN owns all of the ACC's rights, yet the ACC has a network. The ACC has a network, and will get paid for it. So according to the above theory, ESPN is "paying twice" for rights they already own. Not so, because as I pointed out, the payments from the network are for subscriptions, not for content.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Face it folks...Buck was right on this...or more right than most. Bottom line is WVU's spot in the P5 just got more precarious. Big 12 has to go to 14, add two closer rivals for WVU, find a way to be the last one in to the conference network gig (sad state of mangement) and extend GOR. Crap comments about adding other P5 schools should end now. This is about WVU's future.

Face it folks...Buck was right on this...or more right than most. Bottom line is WVU's spot in the P5 just got more precarious. Big 12 has to go to 14, add two closer rivals for WVU, find a way to be the last one in to the conference network gig (sad state of mangement) and extend GOR. Crap comments about adding other P5 schools should end now. This is about WVU's future.

On the Texas board, someone posted one of the paid articles. From what it says, Texas doesn't want to extend the GoR.

Yet more clarification on some of the issues that were argued:

Skipper also noted ESPN will fully own the ACC Network, just as it does with the SEC Network. The ACC will get a new dedicated channel that's taken to the market for distributors, meaning it won't be a current ESPN-branded channel that changes into the ACC Network, Skipper said.

So, yes as I said, ESPN will own 100% of the network. That leads into the next point.

Might there be a day when a Duke-North Carolina basketball game is on the ACC Network in order to drive distribution? ESPN owns all of the ACC's rights so it's certainly possible. When ESPN2 was trying to get off the ground in 1998, the network aired Duke-North Carolina and set a viewership record at the time for the channel.

As I also said, ESPN owns all of the ACC's rights. There it is, right there. ESPN owns all of the ACC's rights, yet the ACC has a network. The ACC has a network, and will get paid for it. So according to the above theory, ESPN is "paying twice" for rights they already own. Not so, because as I pointed out, the payments from the network are for subscriptions, not for content.

Are you slow or something? It's understood by EVERYONE that ESPN owns all ACC rights and I've said it many times.

What you don't seem to understand is ESPN paid for those rights already.

Someone has to buy back rights from Raycom, although more recent articles make it seem as though they will simply let the sublicense expire, whereas previous reports stated the rights were owned though 2027.

If espn already paid for these rights and they did -- then obviously they aren't going to just give the ACC more money for those same rights. Their will be some arrangement under which espn is compensated for paying double for the same rights. They'll take a higher percentage for a long period until paid back.

The PAC 12 is going through this now, one of the reasons their media rights distribution is low.

Further, recent articles pointed out the ACC may play more conference games in order to increase inventory and espn wants them to do this. 7 more football games added to the 31 from Raycom/ fox creates 38 for the network. Still haven't seen financial details or why you think espn is just giving the ACC additional money for the same rights they already own. that makes no sense whatsoever. The ACC will receive less money from a network until espn is compensated or they'll buy them and then transfer to espn

Last edited:
I'm happy for the ACC fans that things are working out. I am sure they will find something new to worry about because all fans are just that way. If we don't have a problem we go with a 'What if?'

As far as the B12 is concerned, not having a conference network is probably rather uniquely more lucrative not only for Texas and Oklahoma but also WVU. Between the IMG deal and reserved advertising by United Bank and Ruby Memorial Hospital, they bring in around $9 million on top of the conference payout. Not $15 million like Texas, but very close to Oklahoma. When the smoke clears and PPV Streaming Video comes out I won't miss a Mountaineer game again.

Are you slow or something? It's understood by EVERYONE that ESPN owns all ACC rights and I've said it many times.

What you don't seem to understand is ESPN paid for those rights already.

Someone has to buy back rights from Raycom, although more recent articles make it seem as though they will simply let the sublicense expire, whereas previous reports stated the rights were owned though 2027.

If espn already paid for these rights and they did -- then obviously they aren't going to just give the ACC more money for those same rights. Their will be some arrangement under which espn is compensated for paying double for the same rights. They'll take a higher percentage for a long period until paid back.

The PAC 12 is going through this now, one of the reasons their media rights distribution is low.

Further, recent articles pointed out the ACC may play more conference games in order to increase inventory and espn wants them to do this. 7 more football games added to the 31 from Raycom/ fox creates 38 for the network. Still haven't seen financial details or why you think espn is just giving the ACC additional money for the same rights they already own. that makes no sense whatsoever. The ACC will receive less money from a network until espn is compensated or they'll buy them and then transfer to espn

Sorry, the facts of the deal have just contradicted what you said. The Raycom deal is not simply expiring. ESPN is buying out Raycom. The Raycom deal ran through 2027. However, now Raycom will only show games through 2019. The contract isn't expiring. Raycom is simply being bought out by ESPN.

Now, that gets to the next point. ESPN owns ALL the rights to the ACC, including the Raycom games. Even if the ACC goes to 9 conference games, ESPN already owns those rights. ESPN owns every single right for the ACC. So, by your logic, the ACC can't make any money. However, they are going to make money. From USA Today: There are the obvious financial ramifications of adding a conference network. Though no one would discuss specifics, once launched in August 2019, the ACC’s network will likely add between $5 million and $8 million to each school’s budget (and for the next two years, in the run-up to launch, the ACC’s rights deal will increase). So, the estimates so far are around $5 million per school. Also note, the ACC will get an increase payout until the network launches. Well, ESPN has already paid for those rights, and now they just agreed to pay more money. According to you, ESPN is "paying twice" for the rights. Well, they aren't, because of the reason I've been telling you. The subscription fees are not the same thing as the rights fees. The subscription fees don't have anything to do with the rights to the games themselves. Even in that quote, it differentiates between rights fees and subscription fees. Face it, you simply don't understand how the business works. You are wrong, and these developments clearly prove it.

Sorry, the facts of the deal have just contradicted what you said. The Raycom deal is not simply expiring. ESPN is buying out Raycom. The Raycom deal ran through 2027. However, now Raycom will only show games through 2019. The contract isn't expiring. Raycom is simply being bought out by ESPN.

Now, that gets to the next point. ESPN owns ALL the rights to the ACC, including the Raycom games. Even if the ACC goes to 9 conference games, ESPN already owns those rights. ESPN owns every single right for the ACC. So, by your logic, the ACC can't make any money. However, they are going to make money. From USA Today: There are the obvious financial ramifications of adding a conference network. Though no one would discuss specifics, once launched in August 2019, the ACC’s network will likely add between $5 million and $8 million to each school’s budget (and for the next two years, in the run-up to launch, the ACC’s rights deal will increase). So, the estimates so far are around $5 million per school. Also note, the ACC will get an increase payout until the network launches. Well, ESPN has already paid for those rights, and now they just agreed to pay more money. According to you, ESPN is "paying twice" for the rights. Well, they aren't, because of the reason I've been telling you. The subscription fees are not the same thing as the rights fees. The subscription fees don't have anything to do with the rights to the games themselves. Even in that quote, it differentiates between rights fees and subscription fees. Face it, you simply don't understand how the business works. You are wrong, and these developments clearly prove it.

What don't you get? The Big Ten bought back rights. FOX is half owner of the BTN and couldn't have created the channel without those rights. the SEC bought back rights. ESPN FULLY owns That channel and couldn't have created it without those rights n he added inventory from expansion. the PAC is STILL buying rights back. Without those rights and added inventory from expansion- no network. Yet you claim, with 0 supporting evidence that ESPN owns all ACC rights that they bought once- and are going to pay the ACC MORE -or better word- AGAIN for those same rights with NO concessions?

You are mistaken.

First they had the ACC extend their contract through 2036.

Second, they had the schools extend the grant of rights.

ESPN is going to get reimbursed for the rights they buy back one way or another, otherwise again- what incentive do they have to increase the ACCs revenues?

You talk about a questionable imaginary speculative number the ACC will get- but what you leave out is what will ESPN is going to get from this. You pretend they are doing it for free and it's not the way they've ever done business.

Probably they'll take a higher percentage for years until the debt is paid off-- some articles about the SEC network reference that the SEC is paid from the profits- after expenses-- and in this case part of the expenses will be obtaining rights back from Raycom.

What don't you get? The Big Ten bought back rights. FOX is half owner of the BTN and couldn't have created the channel without those rights. the SEC bought back rights. ESPN FULLY owns That channel and couldn't have created it without those rights n he added inventory from expansion. the PAC is STILL buying rights back. Without those rights and added inventory from expansion- no network. Yet you claim, with 0 supporting evidence that ESPN owns all ACC rights that they bought once- and are going to pay the ACC MORE -or better word- AGAIN for those same rights with NO concessions?

You are mistaken.

First they had the ACC extend their contract through 2036.

Second, they had the schools extend the grant of rights.

ESPN is going to get reimbursed for the rights they buy back one way or another, otherwise again- what incentive do they have to increase the ACCs revenues?

You talk about a questionable imaginary speculative number the ACC will get- but what you leave out is what will ESPN is going to get from this. You pretend they are doing it for free and it's not the way they've ever done business.

Probably they'll take a higher percentage for years until the debt is paid off-- some articles about the SEC network reference that the SEC is paid from the profits- after expenses-- and in this case part of the expenses will be obtaining rights back from Raycom.

No, I'm not mistaken at all. See, now this is not theoretical anymore. It's already happened, so you can't keep arguing when the actual outcome has proven you wrong.

I'll tell you this until you get it through your thick head. ESPN is not paying twice for rights. The ACC will get paid with profits from the network, exactly like you just mentioned happens with the SEC. Profits from the network are not fees for rights. Rights fees and profits from subscription fees are completely different.

Here is what you don't get. The ACC and SEC have exactly the same amount of inventory. Each conference has 14 schools, which is a total of 112 football games per year. (CBS owns a few of the SEC's games, plus a few games are OOC road games for each conference, but that doesn't matter for this comparison purposes.) ESPN owns all the ACC's rights, so that 112 total games, so that's 112 games of total inventory ESPN has available. (Again, not counting some road OOC games.) The point is, the SEC's expansion didn't give them any more inventory than the ACC has. Both leagues have the exact number of games. In fact, the ACC actually has a few extra games for their network, because of the SEC's deal with CBS.

Now this gets to the point that you keep dodging, and you dodge it because it completely undermines your argument. Since ESPN owns all the ACC's rights, there is nothing for ESPN to put on the network that won't result in the ACC being "paid twice." Even the Raycom games are owned by ESPN, not the ACC. So by your logic, the ACC can't get paid, since ESPN already owns all of the games. Well, obviously that's not true. The ACC is going to get paid. That money has to come from somewhere. That somewhere is the subscription fees. Again, no matter how much you argue against it, subscription fees and rights fees are not the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT