ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Network?

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
excerpt:
Every time the subject of the ACC's long-gestating ESPN channel comes up, conference commissioner John Swofford's talking points are essentially the same – the ACC and ESPN will continue to evaluate the industry landscape. But make no mistake, ol' Ninja Swoff is scheming something with the Worldwide Leader.

That something might might be a web-based, stand-alone initiative in lieu of a tradition linear channel.

According to Business Insider, ESPN is planning a direct-to-consumer package of live programming. ESPN's plan wouldn't offer a full programming lineup, excluding games from the NFL and NBA, but would focus on "niche leagues and possibly some types of college sports" instead.

Read more at http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unbundling-espn-possibly-preparing-standalone-service/15837851/#rTP1kmoJjcJKPvic.99

Aka college baseball, volleyball, softball, lacrosse, tennis, and some rowing.

Where do I go to subscribe ?

Reactions: steeleer
Boren said THIS recently:

Boren also said the Big 12 might look into using some kind of digital platform to broadcast its games in lieu of a traditional conference network, something he said would make the Big 12 a digital “pioneer.”

“We will be doing some looking at experimenting with digital platforms of various kinds. Maybe we’ll pilot it with, you can think of Amazons, Googles, Netflixs,” Boren said.
http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklah...cle_db80c264-37d5-11e6-abb2-ef6ef57b98c6.html

but it seems they may be behind the 8 ball on that as well. Still talking while others continue doing.

Aka college baseball, volleyball, softball, lacrosse, tennis, and some rowing.

Where do I go to subscribe ?

Football and basketball will more than likely play a part as the two most popular sports. Will be interesting to see how they monetize it.

Football and basketball will more than likely play a part as the two most popular sports. Will be interesting to see how they monetize it.

Most of their contracts require them to show a certain amount of conference game nationally on cable (sat) right ?

ESPN can (or could) force markets to take SEC channels but there's no way people will pay for the ACC on a voluntary basis and cover Espns costs.

It was always about leverage (blackmail IMO) and not actual demand... ...which is why most of us have more than 10X the channels available than we would ever consider watching.

Most of their contracts require them to show a certain amount of conference game nationally on cable (sat) right ?

ESPN can (or could) force markets to take SEC channels but there's no way people will pay for the ACC on a voluntary basis and cover Espns costs.

It was always about leverage (blackmail IMO) and not actual demand... ...which is why most of us have more than 10X the channels available than we would ever consider watching.

Too early yet to know whats involved with ESPNs direct to consumer launch, but if the ACC is involved then ESPNs figured out a way to monetize inventory for that conference on that platform.

Sounds like they are on their way to launching it and if so they certainly believe they are going to make something from doing that. If the ACC is involved will some of you still be claiming they can't do this or that and are falling apart or will it finally click?

Too early yet to know whats involved with ESPNs direct to consumer launch, but if the ACC is involved then ESPNs figured out a way to monetize inventory for that conference on that platform.

Sounds like they are on their way to launching it and if so they certainly believe they are going to make something from doing that. If the ACC is involved will some of you still be claiming they can't do this or that and are falling apart or will it finally click?

K.

The Longhorn Network.

Just saying that even the mighty ABC/Disney/ESPN/USAToday/Yahoo monster makes mistakes.

----------

I was gonna type huge mistake....but really, the losses from LHN are just a drop in a bucket for them.

...and stop with the 'finally click' crap.

Unlike most, I take the time to read your opinions. ....and you're certainly not a straight to the point kinda person so that's a lot of my time.

K.

The Longhorn Network.

Just saying that even the mighty ABC/Disney/ESPN/USAToday/Yahoo monster makes mistakes.

----------

I was gonna type huge mistake....but really, the losses from LHN are just a drop in a bucket for them.

You may have noticed Texas is keeping the LHN and gets $15 mil from it per year. It has more subscribers than the Pac 12 networks combined and being as a one school network gets around 31% or better of of the number of subscribers the entire Big Ten or SEC networks bring in.

The BIG 12 needed to have Texas merge that into a BIG 12 network to make the conference network possible, but your statements imply its a total failure and that isn't true.

Last edited:
...and stop with the 'finally click' crap.

Unlike most, I take the time to read your opinions. ....and you're certainly not a straight to the point kinda person so that's a lot of my time.

"Finally click" is a valid point--because many have had an endless stream of failures set for the ACC that haven't come to fruition, while at the same time claiming the BIG 12 didn't need to do anything because they should just sit back and wait for the ACC to come begging to them once they failed. I've been attacked repeatedly for pointing out that these fantasies haven't happened--each and every time the REVERSE does. It often has worked out badly for the lack of action BIG 12.

Trust me, its much more difficult reading through the trolling and fantasies and support of anti BIG 12 people thrashing the conference from the base than whatever you are imagining comes from me.

Texas is getting theirs ... ....but the LHN is widely considered a failure.

Your use of the word 'subscribers' could be debated. I mean...I have the cooking network...two SEC networks...and an endless amount of other channels I pay to get... ...but I wouldn't say I actually subscribe. I just pay to get the other channels I actually want... Again, blackmail.

Texas is getting theirs ... ....but the LHN is widely considered a failure.

Your use of the word 'subscribers' could be debated. I mean...I have the cooking network...two SEC networks...and an endless amount of other channels I pay to get... ...but I wouldn't say I actually subscribe. I just pay to get the other channels I actually want... Again, blackmail.

The LHN has a certain number of subscribers just like the BTN or SECN. People don't want those necessarily either--but they are paying for them via hidden fees just the same.

Doesn't matter if blackmail--they will get paid through 2031 if the BIG 12 isn't gone by then.

I live near PSU... ...no B10 network. My small cable company was very vocal in their fight with them...and won. ...same with the SEC but lost big (aka two channels nobody watches).

So we agree...paying vs. wanting is a whole other discussion. Time will resolve the crap...but maybe not in my time.

I live near PSU... ...no B10 network. My small cable company was very vocal in their fight with them...and won. ...same with the SEC but lost big (aka two channels nobody watches).

So we agree...paying vs. wanting is a whole other discussion. Time will resolve the crap...but maybe not in my time.

Yeah I don't know what ESPN did to get the SEC everywhere.

Fully vested in that conference obviously which is probably one of the reasons they are now having troubles--everyone isn't a fan of the SEC but they've forced them down everyone's throat on all of their channels.

Here's some chatter from ACC land about the possible digital thing with ESPN:

excerpt:
ESPN has been busy. First what we know.

The Bristol mouse bought a 33% stake in MLB's streaming division.

As we've discussed before, MLB, somewhat accidentally, has become a major factor in streaming. It streams hockey and WatchESPN, among other things, and of course baseball.

ESPN/Disney has an option to buy 33% more (MLB is spinning the division, known as MLBAM, off as a separate company).

That's all very interesting of course, as are reports that ESPN is considering a stand-alone streaming service which we presume would be powered by MLBAM.

It's more so because of the ACC's media situation.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2016/7/9/12134426/the-acc-and-espn-interesting-times-ahead

and this:

excerpt:
ACC commissioner John Swofford has spent much of the last four years offering vaguely confident updates on a prospective television outlet dedicated to the league. With the project almost assuredly near fruition, here’s suspecting he’d like to avoid further jousting with media at the conference’s preseason football gathering.

That’s why the ACC and ESPN could well unveil their future partnership before Swofford and reporters meet July 21 in Charlotte, N.C., for his annual state-of-the-conference presser.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-espn-close-tv-post.html

So right now the speculation is on July 19 the BIG 12 will announce that they are remaining status quo and on July 21 the ACC will announce some sort of network deal with ESPN a month or so after the BIG 12 --or the leaders anyway announced the BIG 12 couldn't have one because of "the market".

Should be an interesting month.

So right now the speculation is on July 19 the BIG 12 will announce that they are remaining status quo and on July 21 the ACC will announce some sort of network deal with ESPN a month or so after the BIG 12 --or the leaders anyway announced the BIG 12 couldn't have one because of "the market".

No, they said the market place has changed and a traditional network is not in the cards. The same goes for the ACCN and is why it keeps getting delayed. If and when ESPN and ACC forms a network it will be direct sale streaming model.
The questions are:
  • How much will they charge for direct sale. It will have to be more since you won't be reaching or forcing people to have a this package they don't want
  • How many people can be reached with this method compared to traditional TV providers. For now there is a huge gap, but that gap will decrease
  • Will ESPN go it alone, or will they partner with a Netflix or Amazon company.
  • Is there market for a direct sale for the content that is available.
  • What content will be provided? All of the ACC 3rd tier is owned by 3 different companies, ESPN, FOX, and Raycom. Will the ACC have to buy content from FOX and Raycom in order to something people want to buy, or will it just be crap like Tennis, Swimming, lacrosse.... nobody wants or will buy.

Market conditions do not represent some homogeneous playing field either. The market conditions for every conference are radically different. The Big12 has a couple of big negatives that the ACC does not have, the LHN and the fact that most of the population for that conference is in Texas were major problems. The ACC has different obstacles but they don't include a situation like the LHN and they have a much greater population base to draw from. The only market conditions that apply to both the ACC and the BIG12 is a reluctance to invest in more traditional conference networks. I suspect that the models that the ACC is looking at are pretty much the same as the BIG12 is looking at. I'd love to be able to make a direct purchase of a game that I can't watch because the LHN is carrying it. Will the LHN permit direct digital sale of content that is being broadcast on the LHN? I would hope so. If Texas and WVU are playing on the LHN they should split additional money from the digital sales.

Comprehensive improvements were about expanding the BIG 12 footprint to be similar to its "competition" in leagues that have conference networks.

It was never going to be possible to be at 10 schools and have a conference network and its disingenuous to pretend that was a consideration. Boren stated that the tv partners consulting the conference on the matter told them 12 to 14 schools was a must for the BIG 12 to have a network--that would have significantly increased the footprint.

The BIG 12 isn't any further along with some digital network than with a linear one---same issues still apply. The LHN still exists and therefore, no conference network involving Longhorn product which is tied up with the LHN. That greatly reduces the viability of any sort of network-streaming, digital or otherwise for the BIG 12. They also have "cooled off" any suggestions of expansion--OU doesn't see any discussions on the matter coming while the commissioner expects conversation on July 19th but doubts any action will be taken.

ACC people are once again putting forth dates (now July 21) for some announcement of some sort of ACC network--we'll see if that happens this time--but the BIG 12? Just talking and no actions on the horizon.

The ACC sold their Tier 3 rights to ESPN and the Big 12 didn’t. Therefore the Big 12 can make a gazillion dollars while the ACC makes zilch. It’s hard to distinguish what is fact and what’s fiction. The details of such complicated deals are debated back and forth on message boards. You’re never quite sure what to think.

ACC is out of luck because they sold their 3rd tier rights to ESPN.which would include the conference network.

In March, N.C. State announced it had signed a 10-year multimedia rights agreement with Wolfpack Sports Properties, LLC, a newly formed joint venture of Capitol Broadcasting Company and Learfield Sports. According to N.C. State, that deal guarantees the Wolfpack “a minimum of nearly $49 million” over 10 years. They will only net about 5 million of that.

Most believe ACC network will be streaming online such as ESPN 3.

ACC is getting quite the shaft on third tier revenue as some reports are making it seem. The ACC still trails the Big 4.

ESPN doesn't have the $$$ to single handedly prop up the ACC anymore. The ACC's only hope is that ESPN continues to bash and malign the B12 and limit their exposure to the point that it will reduce our next TV contracts. Then we might become the main course at the next GOR redo instead of the ACC. Someone's going to be dinner....hopefully it isn't the B12.

As much as I hate those asshats in the ACC, the best move for both conferences would be to merge the 2 and get rid of the dead weight (BC, Syracuse, Baylor(face it...they're toast), Iowa State, +/- Kansas and TTech). One conference that stretches as far North as Pa. As far South as FL and as far West as Texas. The only conference that would have anything close to the recruiting potential of that conference would be the SEC, and they would lack the Northern front this conference would have. The Basketball would be the best ever and the football would be neck and neck with the SEC. Shame that pride will keep it from happening.

The ACC sold their Tier 3 rights to ESPN and the Big 12 didn’t. Therefore the Big 12 can make a gazillion dollars while the ACC makes zilch. It’s hard to distinguish what is fact and what’s fiction. The details of such complicated deals are debated back and forth on message boards. You’re never quite sure what to think.

ACC is out of luck because they sold their 3rd tier rights to ESPN.which would include the conference network.

In March, N.C. State announced it had signed a 10-year multimedia rights agreement with Wolfpack Sports Properties, LLC, a newly formed joint venture of Capitol Broadcasting Company and Learfield Sports. According to N.C. State, that deal guarantees the Wolfpack “a minimum of nearly $49 million” over 10 years. They will only net about 5 million of that.

ACC is getting quite the shaft on third tier revenue as some reports are making it seem. The ACC still trails the Big 4.

NC State's deal doesn't involve anything that is likely to be on a conference network sort of channel. That's for things like signage and radio rights and other things.

No one in the ACC has a tier 3 rights deal that involves things like football or basketball games for television or streaming or digital while BIG 12 schools do have such deals individually.

Obviously the ACC would need to purchase rights back to have the inventory to offer for a conference network whereas the BIG 12 would need for Texas to merge in some way the LHN into a BIG 12 conference network to have one.

That's now how it works. This idea that you can build a network off Tier 3 rights simply isn't true. The Big Ten Network involves Tier 2 AND Tier 3 rights. Same for the SEC Network. Regarding selling the Tier 3 rights to ESPN, that has to happen anyway. The SEC had to sell its Tier 3 rights to ESPN to start its network. The Big Ten had to sell its Tier 3 rights to Fox to start its network. The only reason a conference would need to own its Tier 3 rights is if it was starting a network without a partner. You see how well that worked for the Pac 12.

That's now how it works. This idea that you can build a network off Tier 3 rights simply isn't true. The Big Ten Network involves Tier 2 AND Tier 3 rights. Same for the SEC Network. Regarding selling the Tier 3 rights to ESPN, that has to happen anyway. The SEC had to sell its Tier 3 rights to ESPN to start its network. The Big Ten had to sell its Tier 3 rights to Fox to start its network. The only reason a conference would need to own its Tier 3 rights is if it was starting a network without a partner. You see how well that worked for the Pac 12.

A combination of expansion and tier 3 buybacks allowed the Big Ten, SEC and Pac 12 to have networks.

So far the ACC hasn't bought back the product that ESPN isn't putting on its platforms which would be the Raycom and FOX inventory. There's nothing else for the ACC to put on, ESPN isn't holding back inventory--its all bought and paid for and on their platforms or sublicensed to Raycom and through them FOX.

A combination of expansion and tier 3 buybacks allowed the Big Ten, SEC and Pac 12 to have networks.

So far the ACC hasn't bought back the product that ESPN isn't putting on its platforms which would be the Raycom and FOX inventory. There's nothing else for the ACC to put on, ESPN isn't holding back inventory--its all bought and paid for and on their platforms or sublicensed to Raycom and through them FOX.

No, sorry you're wrong. The SEC Network and Big Ten network have Tier 2 AND Tier 3 rights.

No, sorry you're wrong. The SEC Network and Big Ten network have Tier 2 AND Tier 3 rights.

No sorry, I'm not wrong. First of all the Big Ten hasn't separated their rights into tiers in that manner. They have no designation of tiers on the ESPN platforms now. The SEC had selections with CBS first then ABC/ESPN. When they decided they wanted to have a network, they added A&M and Missouri and then bought back rights. CBS and ESPN didn't lower the number of SEC games they were putting on and move that inventory to the SECN.

There is no ACC material that could be put on a network other than what is now shown through Raycom or FOX, unless the ACC is going to buy back some of what ESPN previously bought and monetizes on its platforms now.

No sorry, I'm not wrong. First of all the Big Ten hasn't separated their rights into tiers in that manner. They have no designation of tiers on the ESPN platforms now. The SEC had selections with CBS first then ABC/ESPN. When they decided they wanted to have a network, they added A&M and Missouri and then bought back rights. CBS and ESPN didn't lower the number of SEC games they were putting on and move that inventory to the SECN.

There is no ACC material that could be put on a network other than what is now shown through Raycom or FOX, unless the ACC is going to buy back some of what ESPN previously bought and monetizes on its platforms now.

No, you are 100% wrong. The Big Ten signed its Tier 2 and Tier 3 rights with Fox/BTN until 2032. The SEC's Tier 1 rights are with CBS, and the Tier 2 rights are with ESPN. Here is a link with the contract the Big Ten signed in 2007, and the SEC signed in 2008.

BIG TEN

First-tier rights: $1 billion, ESPN, 10 years through 2016-17

Second-tier rights: $2.8 billion, Big Ten Network, 25 years through 2031-32

Select basketball rights (minimum of 24 games, men’s tournament semifinal and championship games): $72 million, CBS, six years through 2016-17

Football Championship Game: $145 million, FOX, six years through 2016

Per-year average: $248.2 million

Per-school, per-year average: $20.7 million

SEC

First-tier rights: $825 million, CBS, 15 years through 2023-24

Second-tier rights: $2.25 billion, ESPN, 15 years through 2023-24

Per-year average: $205 million

Per-school, per-year average: $14.6 million

ESPN shows Tier 2 games on the SECN. The Big Ten shows Tier 2 games on BTN. There is not enough content to show 45 games on either network if you are only pulling from Tier 3 and expansion. The majority of games on either network are Tier 2 games.

No, you are 100% wrong. The Big Ten signed its Tier 2 and Tier 3 rights with Fox/BTN until 2032. The SEC's Tier 1 rights are with CBS, and the Tier 2 rights are with ESPN. Here is a link with the contract the Big Ten signed in 2007, and the SEC signed in 2008.

BIG TEN

First-tier rights: $1 billion, ESPN, 10 years through 2016-17

Second-tier rights: $2.8 billion, Big Ten Network, 25 years through 2031-32

Select basketball rights (minimum of 24 games, men’s tournament semifinal and championship games): $72 million, CBS, six years through 2016-17

Football Championship Game: $145 million, FOX, six years through 2016

Per-year average: $248.2 million

Per-school, per-year average: $20.7 million

SEC

First-tier rights: $825 million, CBS, 15 years through 2023-24

Second-tier rights: $2.25 billion, ESPN, 15 years through 2023-24

Per-year average: $205 million

Per-school, per-year average: $14.6 million

ESPN shows Tier 2 games on the SECN. The Big Ten shows Tier 2 games on BTN. There is not enough content to show 45 games on either network if you are only pulling from Tier 3 and expansion. The majority of games on either network are Tier 2 games.

There you go stating facts again. But it goes beyond just having enough Content. Even if there was enough Tier 3 content, there would not be a demand for tier 3 only network. You have to have some Tier 2 which would include meaningful FB and BB games or you end up with just Olympic sports nobody would pay for.

How the BIG TEN breaks down their own ( previous) contracts-notice NO mention of "tiers":

excerpt:
ABC/ESPN Contract

Big Ten action has been featured on ABC since 1966 and on ESPN since 1979, the network's first year. Details of the new ABC/ESPN agreement include, but are not limited to:

"The letters ABC and ESPN connote excellence, worldwide reach and innovation," said Delany. "The Big Ten is extremely proud to partner for the next decade with George Bodenheimer and his ABC/ESPN team to bring our events, student-athletes and coaches to fans and alumni across the country and beyond."

"The words `Big Ten' represent passion, history and excellence, and we are thrilled to continue our unmatched relationship with the conference for another decade," said George Bodenheimer, President, ESPN Inc. and ABC Sports. "This agreement, among the most expansive ever, reinforces our position as the number one college sports destination and serves the ever-evolving appetites of fans by providing premier Big Ten action through traditional outlets like ABC and ESPN and emerging entities such as Mobile ESPN and ESPN360."

Big Ten Network

The Big Ten Network is dedicated to covering both the athletic and academic content of the Big Ten member institutions on a national level. Showcasing a wide array of sports as well as original programming produced by the conference's 11 institutions, the Big Ten Network will operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It will be available to all carriers and distributors nationwide. The Big Ten Network's first affiliate, DIRECTV, will deliver the Network to its Total Choice Package subscribers at launch. Many events will be produced in High-Definition television (HDTV). In addition to traditional distribution through cable and satellite, select Big Ten Network content will also be available through alternative media platforms such as the Internet, iPods, cell phones and/or other emerging technologies.

"Fox has a proven and impressive track record of launching and managing networks," Delany said. "That coupled with our compelling athletic competition will make this channel the go-to destination for our alumni and fans across the nation."

"The Big Ten is clearly one of the most successful collegiate athletic conferences in the country, and its member institutions are among the most prestigious universities in the world," said Tony Vinciquerra, President & CEO, Fox Networks Group. "Given a loyal and passionate fan base that's powered by millions of alumni across America, it makes sense that the Big Ten is the first conference to take this step nationally, and we're excited to be a part of it."

The Big Ten Network will carry many of the games and events previously available only through syndication, providing greater exposure for these and other Big Ten sports. The sports programming on the Big Ten Network and/or through alternative Big Ten Network platforms will include, but is not limited to:

In addition, each school will have the right to provide 60 hours of its own content annually. "We anticipate this will create enormous opportunities for journalism, film and other academic programs and provide the ability to highlight academic achievement throughout the universities," Delany said. " How schools utilize this exciting new opportunity is limited only by their own creativity."

The Big Ten Network will launch in August 2007 and will be available for cable operators and satellite distributors nationwide to carry on their basic tiers. Fox will work to secure carriage agreements with all distributors. Fox has already entered into a charter affiliation agreement with DIRECTV, which will carry the Network at launch nationwide on Total Choice, its most broadly distributed package, currently received by more than 15.4 million households.

Here is how the SEC used to do their selection process. No mention of "tiers" From an SEC board:

1. CBS SEC Game of the Week 3:30 PM ET beginning September 15 and running through the SEC Championship Game
-Exclusive Window (No other SEC games may begin between 3:30 and 7 PM)
-November 3rd will feature a game TBA at 3:30 ET and Alabama at LSU at 8 PM ET. No other SEC game can begin after 12:30 ET
-CBS also has the rights to one additional Noon/3:30 double header on a different date. CBS does not have an exclusive window for the Noon ET game on that date
-No one institution may be shown more than 6 times on the SEC Game of the Week

2/3. ESPN/ESPN2 7 PM ET-8 PM ET throughout the entire season
-During the weekends of September 1 and September 8, ESPN/ESPN2 will have the first choice of any game hosted by an SEC school
-On November 3rd, ESPN/ESPN2 will receive the third choice and must televise any game(s) selected between Noon and 12:30 ET
-ESPN will receive the first choice ahead of CBS during a weekend to be announced as compensation for the rights to LSU at Alabama in 2011

4. SEC Network 12:21 PM ET throughout the entire season

5. ESPNU Noon-12:30 PM ET or 7:00 ET throughout the entire season
-The game time is determined by ESPN on a week-to-week basis

6. FS South OR CSS Noon-12:30 PM ET or 7:00 ET throughout the entire season
-The game time and network is determined by ESPN on a week-to-week basis

7. FS South OR CSS Noon-12:30 PM ET or 7:00 ET throughout the entire season
-The game time and network is determined by ESPN on a week-to-week basis

*PPV Broadcasts
-The one pay per view game each season is designated by ESPN
-The institution has the right to do the game on pay per view or pass on the game
-If the institution passes then ESPN is obligated to telecast the game on one of its platforms

How the BIG TEN breaks down their own ( previous) contracts-notice NO mention of "tiers":

excerpt:
ABC/ESPN Contract

Big Ten action has been featured on ABC since 1966 and on ESPN since 1979, the network's first year. Details of the new ABC/ESPN agreement include, but are not limited to:

"The letters ABC and ESPN connote excellence, worldwide reach and innovation," said Delany. "The Big Ten is extremely proud to partner for the next decade with George Bodenheimer and his ABC/ESPN team to bring our events, student-athletes and coaches to fans and alumni across the country and beyond."

"The words `Big Ten' represent passion, history and excellence, and we are thrilled to continue our unmatched relationship with the conference for another decade," said George Bodenheimer, President, ESPN Inc. and ABC Sports. "This agreement, among the most expansive ever, reinforces our position as the number one college sports destination and serves the ever-evolving appetites of fans by providing premier Big Ten action through traditional outlets like ABC and ESPN and emerging entities such as Mobile ESPN and ESPN360."

Big Ten Network

The Big Ten Network is dedicated to covering both the athletic and academic content of the Big Ten member institutions on a national level. Showcasing a wide array of sports as well as original programming produced by the conference's 11 institutions, the Big Ten Network will operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It will be available to all carriers and distributors nationwide. The Big Ten Network's first affiliate, DIRECTV, will deliver the Network to its Total Choice Package subscribers at launch. Many events will be produced in High-Definition television (HDTV). In addition to traditional distribution through cable and satellite, select Big Ten Network content will also be available through alternative media platforms such as the Internet, iPods, cell phones and/or other emerging technologies.

"Fox has a proven and impressive track record of launching and managing networks," Delany said. "That coupled with our compelling athletic competition will make this channel the go-to destination for our alumni and fans across the nation."

"The Big Ten is clearly one of the most successful collegiate athletic conferences in the country, and its member institutions are among the most prestigious universities in the world," said Tony Vinciquerra, President & CEO, Fox Networks Group. "Given a loyal and passionate fan base that's powered by millions of alumni across America, it makes sense that the Big Ten is the first conference to take this step nationally, and we're excited to be a part of it."

The Big Ten Network will carry many of the games and events previously available only through syndication, providing greater exposure for these and other Big Ten sports. The sports programming on the Big Ten Network and/or through alternative Big Ten Network platforms will include, but is not limited to:

In addition, each school will have the right to provide 60 hours of its own content annually. "We anticipate this will create enormous opportunities for journalism, film and other academic programs and provide the ability to highlight academic achievement throughout the universities," Delany said. " How schools utilize this exciting new opportunity is limited only by their own creativity."

The Big Ten Network will launch in August 2007 and will be available for cable operators and satellite distributors nationwide to carry on their basic tiers. Fox will work to secure carriage agreements with all distributors. Fox has already entered into a charter affiliation agreement with DIRECTV, which will carry the Network at launch nationwide on Total Choice, its most broadly distributed package, currently received by more than 15.4 million households.

It's funny to see you flail away when someone presents a fact you can't refute. None of the conferences have the phrases "Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3" in their contracts. It's not an official designation. It's an industry term. Here's a good explanation, from a West Virginia site, no less.

The hot phrase of the week around West Virginia is tier three rights. But, do you really know what tier three rights are? We sought the help of Big 12 Associate Commissioner Bob Burda to help answer that question.

"Tier three rights consist of rights to television content or rights to sporting event content that has been passed over by our television partners," Burda said. "Tier one is over-the-air broadcast rights. Tier two is considered cable television rights and tier three is member retained rights."

Show me where the ACC contract mentions "Tier." Show me where the Big 12 contract mentions "Tier." Show me where the Pac 12 contract mentions "Tier".

By the way, something from your own link, about another issue.

SEC Network, to launch before the 2014 season, is wholly owned by ESPN, which will operate, produce and sell it.

LOL. Posting factual information is now "flailing away". Right.........

You are the one making claims about tiers, not me btw. As if that changes that the ACC is going to have to buy back content in order to have a network of any kind.

As to the SECN--yes its wholly owned by ESPN--is that supposed to be a revelation? Is there a point with that? Because it doesn't change that the SEC expanded and bought back rights so that they could launch a network.

LOL. Posting factual information is now "flailing away". Right.........

You are the one making claims about tiers, not me btw. As if that changes that the ACC is going to have to buy back content in order to have a network of any kind.

As to the SECN--yes its wholly owned by ESPN--is that supposed to be a revelation? Is there a point with that? Because it doesn't change that the SEC expanded and bought back rights so that they could launch a network.

It is a FACT that the BTN/Fox has the Tier 2 and Tier 3 rights for the Big Ten. It is a FACT that ESPN has the Tier 2 rights for the SEC, and the put that on the network. You are 100% wrong when you claim that the Big Ten and SEC don't have tiered rights like everyone else. You think because the links you posted don't use the word "tier" that it means the don't have Tier 1 and Tier 2 rights. So let met get this straight. You think the Big Ten have Tier 3 rights, but not Tier 1 or Tier 2? Stupidity. EVERYBODY has Tier 1 and Tier 2 rights.

Yes, it does change the issue with the ACC. The ACC does not have to buy back any rights. ESPN has to buy back the syndicated rights and that's it.

Yes, the point is, ESPN owns all the content on that network, not the SEC. You keep telling me that ESPN won't pay "twice" for ACC content on a network. Well, ESPN puts the SEC's Tier 2 games on the SECN. ESPN was ALREADY paying for those rights. According to you, ESPN is paying twice for those rights, because those games were already being aired on other ESPN platforms. You keep trying to claim that b3ecause the SEC expanded and bought back the Tier 3 rights, that somehow invalidates the fact that 2/3 of the SECN content was ALREADY under contract. The games that came from expansion were ALREADY under contract. They were ALREADY being televised on other ESPN platforms. By your own definition, those games were ALREADY being monetized. ESPN, by your own definition, is paying twice for those games. The only games that ESPN did not already own and were not already being televised on other platforms were the 14 Tier 3 games. That's it. You are 100% wrong and you know it, and you just won't admit. Everybody can plainly see, from the link I posted, that the Tier 2 games for both the SEC and Big Ten appear on the conference network. Sorry, it's a 100% fact and you can't deny it.

WHAT IS THE INCENTIVE FOR ESPN HERE?

A. ESPN bought rights to ALL ACC content through 2027

B: ESPN sublicensed a bunch of content to Raycom--31 live football games and 60 live men's basketball games--Raycom then sublicensed 17 football and 25 basketball games to FOX.

C. ESPN pays A SECOND TIME for those SAME ACC rights and pays enough for Raycom to get rights back from FOX and RAYCOM

D. ESPN creates an ACC channel and pays the ACC A SECOND TIME for THE SAME RIGHTS THEY BOUGHT IN STEP A (and paid a second time for in step C).

There is no incentive for ESPN to do this. They are being paid over $50 million PER YEAR by Raycom for these syndicated rights and share $0 and $0 cents with the ACC from this BECAUSE THEY ALREADY PAID THE ACC FOR THOSE RIGHTS.$50 million over the next decade is $500 million that ESPN is getting from those ACC sublicensed rights.

Likewise ESPN puts on a certain amount of ACC content on its existing TV and digital platforms for an $18 mil average per year to ACC schools through 2027. ESPN makes money off of that content. Why is ESPN going to take content they monetize off of their platforms to repackage it into an ACC network just so they can pay the ACC MORE money for something ESPN already bought, and in doing so lose a good portion if not all of what they(ESPN) were earning?

Honestly cannot understand how anyone doesn't get this. It isn't complicated.

Tiger talks alot of b.s., but he has yet to answer WHY ESPN would do this--just keeps claiming they are going to (much like the fabled "if they don't get a network they get an ever changing amount of money", while no other conference gets the same deal?

This article sums it up succinctly and is as valid today as it was yesterday:

When it signed its ACC deal in 2010, ESPN and Charlotte-based Raycom Sports cut a deal that grants Raycom the ACC’s digital and corporate sponsorship rights, plus a heavy dose of live football and basketball games. Through a sublicensing agreement, Raycom owns the rights to 31 live football games and 60 live men’s basketball games.

Even if the conference is able to buy back those rights from Raycom, a second roadblock remains. Raycom sublicensed 17 of those football games and 25 of those basketball games to Fox, which carries the games on its regional sports networks throughout the ACC footprint.....

Live local sports programming is important to Fox’s RSNs, and they are not likely to give up those games cheaply.

The games that stay with Raycom make up the ACC’s long-running syndicated package that is distributed to more than 50 million households on over-the-air networks, and reaches 25 of the top 50 U.S. TV markets.

Those deals extend through 2027.

It’s unlikely that ESPN will try to launch a channel without those rights. ESPN brought all of those rights — TV, digital, sponsorship — together as it formed the SEC Network, which launches in August 2014......

“There’s no way an ACC network co-exists with a syndicated model,” said Chris Bevilacqua, a media consultant who worked with the Pac-12 to form a league network. “They’re going to have to get those rights back.”

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/05/20/Media/ACC-net.aspx

Last edited:
You may have noticed Texas is keeping the LHN and gets $15 mil from it per year. It has more subscribers than the Pac 12 networks combined and being as a one school network gets around 31% or better of of the number of subscribers the entire Big Ten or SEC networks bring in.

The BIG 12 needed to have Texas merge that into a BIG 12 network to make the conference network possible, but your statements imply its a total failure and that isn't true.

You realize the LHN is a disaster for everyone involved except Texas right? So it's lifespan is not for the long run. They'll suck that comitted $15 million per year until the end but then that will be done at some point and so will be the end of the LHN disaster.

The LHN is under contract through 2031. If UT doesn't want to change that then don't expect to see it go anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT