ADVERTISEMENT

ACC days numbered?

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce
@TalChamber

@PresMcCullough
on #FSU conference affiliation: "It's something I'm spending a lot of time on and we're getting a lot of help. We're trying to do anything we can to think about how we remain competitive. Florida State is expected to win. We're going to be very aggressive."

1:59 PM · Aug 20, 2022·Twitter Web App

In July, NoleGameday reported that Florida State is in the process of exploring a move to a new conference. The Seminoles have had discussions with the SEC and Big Ten since last summer. Both conferences have displayed an interest in adding the university to their group of current members, along with other schools in the ACC.

For the first time, Florida State University President Richard McCollough commented on where the Seminoles stand in conference realignment. While speaking at the Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce Conference on Saturday, McCollough said that Florida State will be very aggressive in its pursuit to remain competitive.

"It's something I'm spending a lot of time on and we're getting a lot of help," McCollough said. "We're trying to do anything we can to think about how we remain competitive. Florida State is expected to win. We're going to be very aggressive."

My guess? FSU is slightly exaggerating the interest of the SEC and Big 10. I'm sure they are taking the call, but their basketball is shit and their football has fallen on desperate times. If they suck again, they might be praying the Big 12 returns their calls.

My guess? FSU is slightly exaggerating the interest of the SEC and Big 10. I'm sure they are taking the call, but their basketball is shit and their football has fallen on desperate times. If they suck again, they might be praying the Big 12 returns their calls.
Wvu should be so desperate lol.

It’s not coming from FSU at least not entirely:

excerpt:

The Notre Dame Fighting Irish are at the top of the list as one of the biggest brands in all of college football — an independent team without a home that still manages to draw in massive amounts of revenue.

Who are some of the other schools that might be in the mix, though? Here’s a look, according to The Action Network’s Brett McMurphy.

Florida State Seminoles

The Seminoles have had discussions with the SEC and Big Ten since last summer. Both conferences have displayed an interest in adding the university to their group of current members, along with other schools in the ACC.
Any published news releases and/or interviews from those conferences that said they were interested?

Any published news releases and/or interviews from those conferences that said they were interested?
Well let’s see- were there any published news releases or interviews from the B10 saying they wanted UCLA and USC? Or how bout the SEC stating they wanted Texas and OU? Or the BIG 12 stating they were going to pursue BYU, Cincy, UCF and Houston. We found out officially as the conferences announced. Before that? Not how it works and you know it.

Well let’s see- were there any published news releases or interviews from the B10 saying they wanted UCLA and USC? Or how bout the SEC stating they wanted Texas and OU? Or the BIG 12 stating they were going to pursue BYU, Cincy, UCF and Houston. We found out officially as the conferences announced. Before that? Not how it works and you know it.
Thank you, you proved my point. You don’t know jack, just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks.

Reactions: OlegeezEER
Winning and losing is not part of the equation. See Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA and USC for examples.

Winning and losing is not part of the equation. See Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA and USC for examples.
Yes and No. Winning is what helps build a brand. That is why WVU really does need to start winning again. We still have a pretty decent brand, but it has certainly declined some over the past decade. We don't bring market size, so our brand image is very important. And, again, the best way to improve your brand is to start winning big games.

Yes and No. Winning is what helps build a brand. That is why WVU really does need to start winning again. We still have a pretty decent brand, but it has certainly declined some over the past decade. We don't bring market size, so our brand image is very important. And, again, the best way to improve your brand is to start winning big games.
Really. Cause right now it's about money and how much can you add to our pot of gold. This is what the Big 10 and SEC look at, money. They have their winners they are now just looking on what can you make for us.

After Notre Dame, Fsu or Clemson would probably be the next most attractive options for the Sec and Big 10. I wouldn't believe anything that gets printed especially from these types of articles but if this article does have credence then FSU would have no interest in ever joining the Big 12 based on this quote.

College football is changing. Over the last year, it's become apparent that teams need to figure out a way to get into the Big Ten or SEC. If not, they risk falling behind in the modern landscape of the sport.

Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce
@TalChamber

@PresMcCullough
on #FSU conference affiliation: "It's something I'm spending a lot of time on and we're getting a lot of help. We're trying to do anything we can to think about how we remain competitive. Florida State is expected to win. We're going to be very aggressive."

1:59 PM · Aug 20, 2022·Twitter Web App

In July, NoleGameday reported that Florida State is in the process of exploring a move to a new conference. The Seminoles have had discussions with the SEC and Big Ten since last summer. Both conferences have displayed an interest in adding the university to their group of current members, along with other schools in the ACC.

For the first time, Florida State University President Richard McCollough commented on where the Seminoles stand in conference realignment. While speaking at the Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce Conference on Saturday, McCollough said that Florida State will be very aggressive in its pursuit to remain competitive.

"It's something I'm spending a lot of time on and we're getting a lot of help," McCollough said. "We're trying to do anything we can to think about how we remain competitive. Florida State is expected to win. We're going to be very aggressive."
The only sources that matter are the ones that come directly from the conference not the FSU tabloid media.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Why do you feel FSU's basketball is shit? They've been a pretty solid program for what seems the last decade. I know they've reached the sweet 16 the last three NCAA tournaments, and I remember Michigan beating them in the Elite 8 to reach the final four just a few years back, maybe the 2018 tournament.

Thank you, you proved my point. You don’t know jack, just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks.
I didn’t prove or disprove anything. I posted information from someone with direct quotes that you obviously want to pretend doesn’t exist. Are you actually going to sit here and claim that FSUs president didn’t say what he said about FSU and actively seeking to depart the ACC? Man you ACC types live in fantasyland.

Yes the past three seasons have been brutal for WVUs football brand and have come at the worst possible time. Winning brings ratings and viewers. This season once again presents several big national games that WVU needs to win.

I didn’t prove or disprove anything. I posted information from someone with direct quotes that you obviously want to pretend doesn’t exist. Are you actually going to sit here and claim that FSUs president didn’t say what he said about FSU and actively seeking to depart the ACC? Man you ACC types live in fantasyland.
Lol, I don’t care for the ACC at all,
and you only post opinions and irrelevant facts that fit your agenda.

The presidents and administrators of the Big 10 and Sec decide who their members will be not that presidents of universities wanting to be members.
And the presidents and administrators of the Big Ten have stated they will continue to expand and their sources have told reporters that FSU is indeed under consideration as a Big Ten member. So what’s the issue? Besides the way it actually works legally is the SCHOOL(s) must approach the conference(s) first.

And voila, it is reported that FSU has done just that. Are you claiming these are lies and you know differently than FSUs President?

Lol, I don’t care for the ACC at all,
and you only post opinions and irrelevant facts that fit your agenda.
Lol says the troll who only spews irrelevant opinion. I posted FACT. Are you disputing that FSUs president made these statements or that they have met with the Big Ten or SEC? If you are, provide your evidence or stop lying about me and everything else.

I would be surprised to see a team like FSU go to the B1G. Not due to athletics, but mainly due to being located within a state that already has an SEC presence. I'm not sure if the B1G and SEC have a silent agreement to not impede on one another's stomping grounds or not, but so far, it seems to be that way. However, if that's the case, then the B1G is pretty limited to the west coast, mountain state regions, and northeast, including WV.

I would be surprised to see a team like FSU go to the B1G. Not due to athletics, but mainly due to being located within a state that already has an SEC presence. I'm not sure if the B1G and SEC have a silent agreement to not impede on one another's stomping grounds or not, but so far, it seems to be that way. However, if that's the case, then the B1G is pretty limited to the west coast, mountain state regions, and northeast, including WV.
Reports of last year had the SEC trying to lure B10 schools like Ohio State so don’t think that is true that there is any agreement.

Apparently Sankey did say the SEC won’t add western schools.

Sources have told Brett Mcmurphy and others that both FSU and Miami are under consideration by the Big Ten and it makes sense— the PAC and the Big Ten are the only major conferences with no Florida teams- or will be soon. That further opens a major recruiting ground for Big Ten schools.

Lol says the troll who only spews irrelevant opinion. I posted FACT. Are you disputing that FSUs president made these statements or that they have met with the Big Ten or SEC? If you are, provide your evidence or stop lying about me and everything else.
Hey Wanna be insider, it doesn’t matter what the FSU president says he wants, just like OlegeezEER said. If you would take the time and get off you knees and come up for air, maybe you’ll realize the Big12 is becoming second tier.

Reports of last year had the SEC trying to lure B10 schools like Ohio State so don’t think that is true that there is any agreement.

Apparently Sankey did say the SEC won’t add western schools.

Sources have told Brett Mcmurphy and others that both FSU and Miami are under consideration by the Big Ten and it makes sense— the PAC and the Big Ten are the only major conferences with no Florida teams- or will be soon. That further opens a major recruiting ground for Big Ten schools.
Sources? Gotta believe anonymous rats.

Hey Wanna be insider, it doesn’t matter what the FSU president says he wants, just like OlegeezEER said. If you would take the time and get off you knees and come up for air, maybe you’ll realize the Big12 is becoming second tier.
The BIG 12 is preparing itself to maintain power status as a third power conference. Meanwhile your ACC is on death watch. As soon as someone figures out how to get 8 schools out it is turn out the lights. But you go ahead and keep worrying about someone else’s conference while the Big Ten and SEC pick through your bones.

Sources? Gotta believe anonymous rats.
Sources. Unlike personal opinion which is all you are holding on with.

Kevin Warren commissioner of the Big Ten says they are going to continue to expand. We know as fact ACC schools have spoken to them and the SEC. Just a matter of time.

Well you are right. So if you hear a team being mentioned… it’s being floated by them and not the conference. The B1G and SEC will take who they want when they want. At the moment the GOR is keeping the ACC together. It’s also holding it back. You can’t take in new members. They would refuse to sign a GOR that could prevent them from getting more money elsewhere.

Reactions: steeleer
Well you are right. So if you hear a team being mentioned… it’s being floated by them and not the conference. The B1G and SEC will take who they want when they want. At the moment the GOR is keeping the ACC together. It’s also holding it back. You can’t take in new members. They would refuse to sign a GOR that could prevent them from getting more money elsewhere.
I don't know that the GOR is holding everyone together. Its holding in (for now) those that want to leave. Apparently the Louisville AD stated publicly that 8 votes would dissolve the ACC.

So if the Big Ten and SEC take say--UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT, GT, NC State--then there is no GOR--and maybe no ACC.

Agree that no one will join the ACC from a power conference--because there is no stability there.

I don't know that the GOR is holding everyone together. Its holding in (for now) those that want to leave. Apparently the Louisville AD stated publicly that 8 votes would dissolve the ACC.

So if the Big Ten and SEC take say--UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT, GT, NC State--then there is no GOR--and maybe no ACC.

Agree that no one will join the ACC from a power conference--because there is no stability there.
I’d say every team would leave for more money. It’s the GOR holding them in place. And when you keep reading about FSU, ask yourself the simple question. Why would you want the Tallahassee market over Miami? That is FSU floating it hoping the B1G would offer more money to get them past the GOR. It’s not going to happen. The B1G is just going to wait the GOR out.

I’d say every team would leave for more money. It’s the GOR holding them in place. And when you keep reading about FSU, ask yourself the simple question. Why would you want the Tallahassee market over Miami? That is FSU floating it hoping the B1G would offer more money to get them past the GOR. It’s not going to happen. The B1G is just going to wait the GOR out.
From what I‘ve read, the Big Ten is interested in BOTH FSU AND MIAMI. Which makes sense since you don’t want one or the other isolated. FSU has met with both the SEC and Big Ten from various reports. That’s from SEC and Big Ten sources not from those schools alone if at all.

Every ACC team may not be offered a spot somewhere else Of course, but all could do better elsewhere including in the BIG 12.

The Big Ten has time to wait, but it’s the SEC that is more in question here. They may not desire to wait until 2036 and the SEC really has to land certain ACC schools to land more lucrative deals to keep pace with the Big Ten.

Certainly FSU and others don’t want to wait. It’s likely very wishful thinking on the part of ACC fandom that schools and more powerful conferences will wait 14 years and hundreds of millions of dollars before something gives. By then the ACC schools will be a distant afterthought in CFB which had moved on a decade before.

After Notre Dame, Fsu or Clemson would probably be the next most attractive options for the Sec and Big 10. I wouldn't believe anything that gets printed especially from these types of articles but if this article does have credence then FSU would have no interest in ever joining the Big 12 based on this quote.

College football is changing. Over the last year, it's become apparent that teams need to figure out a way to get into the Big Ten or SEC. If not, they risk falling behind in the modern landscape of the sport.
Out of those three? FSU is a far distant third. There isn't a Big 10 school even remotely close to it. MeanwhileYou have USC and UCLA on an island on the other side of the country. That automatically puts Washington, Oregon and possibly Cal (because of that twat Gov in CA) ahead of FSU as well.
They are likely to only take on 20 teams. They have 16 teams with USC and UCLA coming. At MINIMUM there are 4 teams ahead of them. Would you consider UNC and UVA below FSU?!? That is two more. FSU has picked a shitty time to suck. The SEC already has UF. They might take FSU over Miami (no way the Big 10 takes Miami...zero) but they might not. They definitely don't take both.

All its going to take is for one program to bite the bullet and pay the GOR exit fee. Most likely withe backing of ESPN. Why would ESPN behind the scenes support the breakup? They need more content with SEC and won't be outdone by the B1G backers.
Neither SEC nor B1G will wait till 2035 to grab teams in the lucrative East Coast markets. Say all you want about Wash, Ore, Stan but they don't compare to the top ACC programs.

The BIG 12 is preparing itself to maintain power status as a third power conference. Meanwhile your ACC is on death watch. As soon as someone figures out how to get 8 schools out it is turn out the lights. But you go ahead and keep worrying about someone else’s conference while the Big Ten and SEC pick through your bones.
Don’t pay attention much do you. Again for the umpteenth time, I can’t stand the ACC.
And there will be no 3rd “power “ conference. So it doesn’t matter if the Big12 survives or not.

Sources. Unlike personal opinion which is all you are holding on with.

Kevin Warren commissioner of the Big Ten says they are going to continue to expand. We know as fact ACC schools have spoken to them and the SEC. Just a matter of time.
I never claimed sources. It’s always been my take. You just surf the net for your take and say this is what is going to happen. Sources that go unnamed are rats. Why you want to be part of a sinking ship and or second tier is astonishing. If you are truly a WVU fan then you need to wake up.

Don’t pay attention much do you. Again for the umpteenth time, I can’t stand the ACC.
And there will be no 3rd “power “ conference. So it doesn’t matter if the Big12 survives or not.
Yet each time I post there you are- especially if the ACC is mentioned.

Yes, there will be a third power conference and WVU will be in it. The powers that be haven’t found a way to eliminate half the power schools just yet. That’s just a wish of some but not reality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT