ADVERTISEMENT

6 thoughts about the game and season so far ...

May I repeat the List,
Don Nehlen,
Don Nehlen, oh
Don Nehlen

Ps....anyone or any coach can write a consolidation ltr, sorry.

I REPEAT. COACH SPEARS, IN 1922, WENT UNDEFEATED. NO OTHER WVU COACH HAS DONE THAT. NEHLEN AVERAGED 7-4 SEASONS. OK, BUT NOT GREAT. AND WAS WILLING TO LEAVE WVU FOR OHIO STATE BUT THE BUCKEYES CHOSE SOMEONE ELSE.

I REPEAT. COACH SPEARS, IN 1922, WENT UNDEFEATED. NO OTHER WVU COACH HAS DONE THAT. NEHLEN AVERAGED 7-4 SEASONS. OK, BUT NOT GREAT. AND WAS WILLING TO LEAVE WVU FOR OHIO STATE BUT THE BUCKEYES CHOSE SOMEONE ELSE.

doubt we can responsibility compare.

Even you know that.

Strangely you're on a "PricRod Mission" by comparing new age coaches vs old Age coaches, per say.

you continue to HONK RichRod's horn via 1922 COACH Spears - anyway you can.

?Wonder if,
Coach Spears is Brittany Spears dad?

doubt we can responsibility compare.

Even you know that.

Strangely you're on a "PricRod Mission" by comparing new age coaches vs old Age coaches, per say.

you continue to HONK RichRod's horn via 1922 COACH Spears - anyway you can.

?Wonder if,
Coach Spears is Brittany Spears dad?

GREAT-GREAT-GREAT GRANDFATHER.

Reactions: mofo
Stewart did not win the Fiesta bowl. That was RR's team built from the ground up. All Stewart did was provide some levity to the team that already had all the pressure taken off by blowing the backyard brawl. All Stewart had to do was act as a cheerleader while the players let the muscle memory of all those repetitions and religious pounding of execution from RR take over. Or in other words, just relax and play free trusting all the practice from the year to flow without overthinking it. Also he let McGee actually call a few shots rather than running the safe zone reads over and over again.

Stewart inherited a great program and it significantly declined in his 3 years here. The roster of players wasn't bad, it was what he did with them that was lack luster. Holgorsen got his bowl win in similar fashion. Holgorsen inherited a talented roster with good football fundamentals already there. He then schemed a good way to use those player's talents. After that his weakness in recruiting players, instilling good football fundamentals, and maintaining discipline on the field was no longer compensated for and the program slid further. The two would actually have made a good HC combined as Stewart was good at getting players into the program and getting them investing in it while sucking at actually effectively using those players. Holgorsen was good at actually using talent, on the offensive side of the ball at least, but sucked at getting and developing that talent in the program.

In any event, Stewart's tenure outside of the Fiesta Bowl, which was much more on the previous coaching staff than him, was very underwhelming. 2008 lacked any real Marquee win and had 2 rather ugly losses against ECU and Colorado. 2009 was again without great wins, but understandable losses with the exception of the bowl game against a really subpar FSU team. 2010 was again no real Marquee win, but at least a valiant effort at LSU in a loss. However 2010 saw WVU almost lose to Marshall for the first time ever and then have utter garbage losses to Syracuse, UConn, and NC State that year. Note this was with a roster that included Stedman Bailey, Geno Smith, Tavon Austin, Noel Devine, Jock Sanders, Jeff Braun, Don Barclay, Najee Goode, Bruce Irvin, Scooter Berry, Chris Neild, JT Thomas, Keith Tandy. This was the year the WVU defense averaged only 12.75 points against during the regular season and never gave up more than 21 in any one of the 12 regular season games. So while Stewart's record looks decent, all of his wins were against teams that would be middle of the pack in the Big 12 and all of his losses save 1 were against teams of the same caliber or WORSE. So it wasn't that impressive and coming off the success and foundation of the 2005-2007 era it was downright bad.
The theme for WVU coaches is that the coach does noticeably better with the previous coach’s recruits, then fails to develop his own players. Oddly enough, the next coach comes in and wins with the players left to him and proceeds to crap the bed with his recruits. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The solution is to fire kneel as our HC and give him complete control of recruiting but not to let him speak to current players. The new coach isn’t allowed to interact with recruits. Try it out.

Bill Stewart was a terrible head coach. He took a Pat White led WVU right into the toilet and out of the rankings. Didn't play many ranked teams or win any significant games except the RRod staff led win against Oklahoma which he was coach for like a week. Couldn't win anything which is why he had to be replaced as the first wave of realignment was beginning to happen and Luck had to find a way to save WVU from non power status.

Dana Holgorsen brought much more success. Won the Big East, coached WVU to a major bowl and a historical win over Clemson, won 10 games twice against the toughest schedules WVU ever faced--also won the second most games ever by a WVU coach in history. Was averaging over 8 wins a season by the last four years and had WVU points from beating Oklahoma and playing in a BIG 12 CCG. Had a top 10 offense.

Now there is Brown who has led WVU to two straight 5 win seasons and had very lackluster offensive output. He had the worst rushing in FBS year 1, the 8th worst drops by receivers in ALL of college football in year two, and the worst rushing attack in the BIG 12 year 3 so far. Didn't win a game on the road year two in the regular season and only got to the post season because he didn't play FSU, OU and another. Matched WVU's worst losing streak in year one as well 5 in a row. WVU is in the worst slide its been in since I began paying attention to WVU football decades ago.

Don't see a light at the end of the Neal Brown tunnel, and thanks to the AD making an inexplicable choice to extend--don't see an end to this slide.

Outside of Kansas not sure where another win is coming from--Baylor, TCU and KSU are better. Brown hasn't won a road game in a couple of years. Texas crushed the Tech team that kept WVU scoreless at home in the first half.

Defense doesn't mean anything if you give up more than you score and if you can't score as Brown's woeful offenses show--there aren't going to be many wins.

No idea what will happen at Baylor--another close loss?

Last edited:
Bill Stewart's best chance to be a good HC was to hire a good OC and DC. He was a ST coach, so he wasn't going to bring any kind of system to build around. His biggest downfall was hiring Jeff Mullet to destroy the offense. Big mistake. When Holgs came in, the air raid he brought was very welcomed. Mullet's offense was comical. Bill Stewart was a great man and a good coach. Just wasnt ready to take over WVU and made a few bad hires. Then Luck took over. A few shakes of the adams apple and all the sudden we were trying to be Texas north.

The theme for WVU coaches is that the coach does noticeably better with the previous coach’s recruits, then fails to develop his own players. Oddly enough, the next coach comes in and wins with the players left to him and proceeds to crap the bed with his recruits. Lather, rinse, repeat.

The solution is to fire kneel as our HC and give him complete control of recruiting but not to let him speak to current players. The new coach isn’t allowed to interact with recruits. Try it out.

Stewart and his staff's problem was that they didn't know how to effectively use the players they had, particularly on offense. They inherited a great roster and Pat White. I could understand if it was a situation like with RR in 2001 when he was implementing a vastly different system than what was already established. But the offense got worse despite getting good players into the system. When Holgorsen took over, won the BE, and hung 70 on Clemson it was clear that lack of roster talent was not the thing holding Stewart led WVU teams back. Holgorsen then proved he could not get any players in and develop them into appropriate tools to implement his schemes, but I digress. In Stewart's 3rd season he failed to win the BE with a defense that gave up less than 13 ppg and never gave up more than 21 in any single game during the season. He basically fired himself when he refused to acknowledge that the offense was the problem and that changes needed to be made with how it was run. He was loyal to a fault to Mullen and stubborn. I see the same with Brown in his stubbornness for "scripted" plays and loyalty to a fault with Doege. Which is why I am disquieted despite the great recruiting. Because as Stewart already proved, incompetence with implementing players cannot be overcome simply by having better athletes.

Here is the list:
Don Nehlen

Here is THE LIST;
Don Nehlen

May I give you the list;
Don Nehlen

Maybe, I should repeat the LIST;
Don Nehlen

But you just agreed with someone who stated that RR, Stewart, and Holgoresen failed to live up to Nehlen. Would you then say it was the right thing for WVU to move on when it was apparent these coaches could not replicate Nehlen's success? Or will you continue shying away like you did when you ducked all my other questions after smugly declaring your opinion to be factual over mine without even having the courage to defend your own opinion.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter how much you type on a msg board,
Doesn't matter how much you all believe RR invented football at WVU,
you all cannot separate what damages RR inflicted on West Virginia.

He gone and maybe you should follow Louisiana Monroe sports.

Bill Stewart was a terrible head coach. He took a Pat White led WVU right into the toilet and out of the rankings. Didn't play many ranked teams or win any significant games except the RRod staff led win against Oklahoma which he was coach for like a week. Couldn't win anything which is why he had to be replaced as the first wave of realignment was beginning to happen and Luck had to find a way to save WVU from non power status.

Dana Holgorsen brought much more success. Won the Big East, coached WVU to a major bowl and a historical win over Clemson, won 10 games twice against the toughest schedules WVU ever faced--also won the second most games ever by a WVU coach in history. Was averaging over 8 wins a season by the last four years and had WVU points from beating Oklahoma and playing in a BIG 12 CCG. Had a top 10 offense.

Now there is Brown who has led WVU to two straight 5 win seasons and had very lackluster offensive output. He had the worst rushing in FBS year 1, the 8th worst drops by receivers in ALL of college football in year two, and the worst rushing attack in the BIG 12 year 3 so far. Didn't win a game on the road year two in the regular season and only got to the post season because he didn't play FSU, OU and another. Matched WVU's worst losing streak in year one as well 5 in a row. WVU is in the worst slide its been in since I began paying attention to WVU football decades ago.

Don't see a light at the end of the Neal Brown tunnel, and thanks to the AD making an inexplicable choice to extend--don't see an end to this slide.

Outside of Kansas not sure where another win is coming from--Baylor, TCU and KSU are better. Brown hasn't won a road game in a couple of years. Texas crushed the Tech team that kept WVU scoreless at home in the first half.

Defense doesn't mean anything if you give up more than you score and if you can't score as Brown's woeful offenses show--there aren't going to be many wins.

No idea what will happen at Baylor--another close loss?

28 - 12

28 - 12 can't be considered terrible in the same category as Cignetti,
as an example.

28 - 12
is a 70% winning percentage.

One thing we need to understand,
is West Virginia administration would rather be .500 with Neal Brown vs winning 11 games with PricRod.

Simply cannot forget personal behavior.

28 - 12

28 - 12 can't be considered terrible in the same category as Cignetti,
as an example.

28 - 12
is a 70% winning percentage.

Cignetti was terrible and Stewart's time with WVU was not terrible. However his 28-12 is not that impressive when you analyze that only 6 of those 40 games were against teams that finished the season ranked. Only 2 of those 6 ranked games ended in a WVU victory. 2009 #15 Pitt (10-3) and 2010 #23 Maryland (9-4). The 8 other losses were to unranked teams with at least 5 losses. The rest of the wins were at best against unranked FBS teams with 5 or more losses. Not terrible, but not stellar either.

Cignetti was terrible and Stewart's time with WVU was not terrible. However his 28-12 is not that impressive when you analyze that only 6 of those 40 games were against teams that finished the season ranked. Only 2 of those 6 ranked games ended in a WVU victory. 2009 #15 Pitt (10-3) and 2010 #23 Maryland (9-4). The 8 other losses were to unranked teams with at least 5 losses. The rest of the wins were at best against unranked FBS teams with 5 or more losses. Not terrible, but not stellar either.

28 - 12

I think you're trying to convince yourself why you probably
BAD MOUTHED Bill Stewart on a daily basis, (if not hourly basis).

You probably still can't believe WVU hired Bill Stewart, over Terry Bowden.

28 - 12
is a 70% winning percentage
and you can't change that, here.

Resume review:

28 - 12

Recruited the best HS QB in decades --Geno Smith except Major.

Stomped Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl which assisted b12 membership invitation.

Beat Auburn.

Last edited:
If Crowder doesn't play, he ought to transfer,in January.

Who in the heck,
wants to be 3td string on this depth chart.
These days, the 4th string player could be next year’s starter. He is literally a graduation and a portal or two away from being the top dog. Specially if this year’s back ups think they can go to another school and make NIL $$.

Apart from the Fiesta Bowl, Stewart's time was not memorable. DH's Orange Bowl and wins at UT were his only highlights, the latter are marred with total collapses by the end of the season.

Brown is well into his third at the helm with an equivalent of two seasons of games. His signature wins are close losses. Beating vpi should have been much bigger but he nearly blew that to such an extreme that he would've been better off flying directly from the stadium to Columiba, SC, and followed it up with two, pull out your hair, burst a blood vessel type gameplans and management that any objective fan would have to watch him and openly question his decision making....even the announcers did on Saturday.

These days, the 4th string player could be next year’s starter. He is literally a graduation and a portal or two away from being the top dog. Specially if this year’s back ups think they can go to another school and make NIL $$.

Yes probably
but not in Neal Brown's world.

Play Crowder,
before they give the Keys to Nicco.

Last edited:
28 - 12

I think you're trying to convince yourself why you probably
BAD MOUTHED Bill Stewart on a daily basis, (if not hourly basis).

You probably still can't believe WVU hired Bill Stewart, over Terry Bowden.

28 - 12
is a 70% winning percentage
and you can't change that, here.

Resume review:

28 - 12

Recruited the best HS QB in decades --Geno Smith except Major.

Stomped Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl which assisted b12 membership invitation.

Beat Auburn.

Now you are just smugly setting up strawmen. I never "bad mouthed" Stewart outside of noting that WVU failed to win championships under his staff despite having the talent to do so and I never advocated for the washed up Terry Bowden to coach WVU.

You can't give credit to Stewart for the Fiesta Bowl without giving credit to Holgorsen for the Orange Bowl as they are very similar situations. Feel free to explain why if you disagree.

28-12 is 70%. 32-9 is 78%. By your own logic Appalachian State was better than WVU during Stewart's time and by extension must've had a better coach. If that's not what you mean, then please elaborate.

Beat Auburn. So did Vanderbilt that year. Auburn finished 5-7 that year. You'd not accept a defense of Holgorsen at simply "beat Texas" just because Texas is a recognized name.

Stewart did recruit a great player in Geno. What did he accomplish with that QB? Stewart inherited a team from a coach you bad mouth that just won the Big East. He then spent 3 seasons without winning the conference's BCS spot. Another coach you bad mouth then takes Stewart's roster of players he couldn't win the Big East with a year earlier and immediately wins the Big East's BCS spot. How were 2 other coaches able to win championships with essentially the same team that Stewart failed to do so with?

The question is do you think WVU should try to hire someone who can replicate or at least closely replicate what Nehlen accomplished? And if so, does that mean WVU should hire a new coach once it's apparent the current one is not trending toward doing so?
If not for last years extension he would be on coal burning seat right now. Did the same with Holgs that we just did with Neal. Painted ourselves into a corner with early extension.

Reactions: Rootmaster
If not for last years extension he would be on coal burning seat right now. Did the same with Holgs that we just did with Neal. Painted ourselves into a corner with early extension.

I'm more so referring to mofo's insistence that Stewart was a great HC and capable of building a program better than RR and Holgorsen. He felt the need to hound me for my opinion that during Stewart's 3 seasons as HC, WVU trended away from the success of 2005-2007 and thus decreased the likelihood of WVU fielding a championship level team.

The buddy system comes into play in almost every aspect of life. Believe Lyons knew Brown back when both were living in Alabama. Of course, Lyons also knew Nick Saban well. WVU should have done a 2 for 2 trade. Take Lyons and Saban, and give them Holgersen and an autographed Major Harris jersey.

I'm more so referring to mofo's insistence that Stewart was a great HC and capable of building a program better than RR and Holgorsen. He felt the need to hound me for my opinion that during Stewart's 3 seasons as HC, WVU trended away from the success of 2005-2007 and thus decreased the likelihood of WVU fielding a championship level team.
Don't put words in my mouth, plse.

28 - 12

You lov to bad mouth Bill Stewart, and anyone that supports Bill Stewart.

Geno Smith

Oklahoma beat down in Fiesta.

Beat Auburn.

Try to match that.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Don't put words in my mouth, plse.

28 - 12

You lov to bad mouth Bill Stewart, and anyone that supports Bill Stewart.

Geno Smith

Oklahoma beat down in Fiesta.

Beat Auburn.

Try to match that.

So you didn't go out of your way to "correct" my opinion that Stewart's 3 seasons as HC were trending WVU away from the success of 2005-2007 and making championship level less likely? You agree with that statement? Also, care to explain why my rebuttals to how your repeated 28-12, beat Auburn, recruited Geno, etc... comments do not support your assertion that Stewart was a significantly better head coach than Holgorsen or RR?

So you didn't go out of your way to "correct" my opinion that Stewart's 3 seasons as HC were trending WVU away from the success of 2005-2007 and making championship level less likely? You agree with that statement? Also, care to explain why my rebuttals to how your repeated 28-12, beat Auburn, recruited Geno, etc... comments do not support your assertion that Stewart was a significantly better head coach than Holgorsen or RR?

You hate Bill Stewart,
admit your hated for Bill Stewart and everything he stood for.

Ignorance is Bliss.

Last edited:
That is your very lonely opinion.

Then why does West Virginia pay Neal Brown $4.1 million per year eventually, fully Guaranteed.

PricRod orchestrated
his departure from WVU.

RichRod got what he wanted.

Who were Stewart's 28 wins?
#3 Oklahoma in Fiesta Bowl 2007 (He didn't get them there)
Villanova
Marshall
Rutgers
Syracuse
Auburn
Connecticut
Louisville
USF
UNC
Liberty
ECU
Colorado
Syracuse
Marshall
Connecticut
Louisville
Pitt
Rutgers
Coastal Carolina
Maryland
Marshall (had to come from behind to win )
UNLV
USF
Cincinnati
Louisville
Pitt
Rutgers

2 ranked teams

Who were Stewart's 28 wins?
#3 Oklahoma in Fiesta Bowl 2007 (He didn't get them there)
Villanova
Marshall
Rutgers
Syracuse
Auburn
Connecticut
Louisville
USF
UNC
Liberty
ECU
Colorado
Syracuse
Marshall
Connecticut
Louisville
Pitt
Rutgers
Coastal Carolina
Maryland
Marshall (had to come from behind to win )
UNLV
USF
Cincinnati
Louisville
Pitt
Rutgers

2 ranked teams
Now, do HCNB's wins. Did any of the schools that he beat finish the season ranked? Asking for a friend.

Now, do HCNB's wins. Did any of the schools that he beat finish the season ranked? Asking for a friend.
Really cause I thought this was a discussion of Bill Stewart. Typical troll twist.

Really cause I thought this was a discussion of Bill Stewart. Typical troll twist.
You have nothing; that's what I thought. Bashing ex-coaches and propping up current ones undermines your credibility. The media homers do the very same thing. Let Bill Stewart rest in peace.

You have nothing; that's what I thought. Bashing ex-coaches and propping up current ones undermines your credibility. The media homers do the very same thing. Let Bill Stewart rest in peace.
#16 Kansas State Oct.24, 2020 37-10 since you friend asked. You've been owned go rest in peace bitch. It's not how they finish. It's when you played them dumb ass.

Well
how do we,
West Virginia beat Baylor?

We can discuss history, all we want.

#16 Kansas State Oct.24, 2020 37-10 since you friend asked. You've been owned go rest in peace bitch. It's not how they finish. It's when you played them dumb ass.
Epic failure. I distinctly asked which schools that HCNB had beaten had FINISHED the season ranked. Kansas State FINISHED last season unranked and 4-6. Hardly something about which to brag.

You hate Bill Stewart,
admit your hated for Bill Stewart and everything he stood for.

Ignorance is Bliss.

So that is how you operate? We have a disagreement about the level of ability Bill Stewart had as a head coach, not his personal life or "what he stood for." I articulated rationale for my opinion and rationale for why your claims paint an artificially rosy picture. You refuse to engage with my arguments because you know you have no rebuttal. You just claim I "hate Bill Stewart" as though it absolves you for clearly not having an argument to support you. I don't hate Bill Stewart and never knew the man, but I know he was definitely a better man than you. Keep taking your pot shots and creating false narratives for those you disagree with you sniveling coward.

So that is how you operate? We have a disagreement about the level of ability Bill Stewart had as a head coach, not his personal life or "what he stood for." I articulated rationale for my opinion and rationale for why your claims paint an artificially rosy picture. You refuse to engage with my arguments because you know you have no rebuttal. You just claim I "hate Bill Stewart" as though it absolves you for clearly not having an argument to support you. I don't hate Bill Stewart and never knew the man, but I know he was definitely a better man than you. Keep taking your pot shots and creating false narratives for those you disagree with you sniveling coward.

Are we moving to the
INSULTING Phase of this discussion?

You lost me
after the word "So".

You've answered the question or why respond "so defensive" and as "sensitive" as you portrayed.

28 - 12

Doubtful you personally was involved in Recruiting Geno Smith and all the players Recruited over 10 year tenure of WVU Employment of Bill Stewart.

Maybe you can find another vehicle to Spu your hate of Bill Stewart.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT