ADVERTISEMENT

The Big 12 has more in store for us...

So the last two pages have taught me that black folks just need to start being respectful to police and stop fighting with them so much and they won't get show.

Well damn, it turns out you don't have to be black *or* fight the police to get wantonly murdered by them.

On the bright side neither officer had any charges against them and both got to retire with pension! A happy ending for a group on here, I'm sure.
I remember that case. That was wanton murder, nothing more. That cop wanted to shoot someone.

His pants were falling down and stuck under his knee. He couldn't go any further without pulling them up.

Last edited:
Nobody denies that there are mistakes. Philandro Castillo comes to mind. That cop should still be in prison for what happened on that stop. Guess what? Negligent shootings of white people happen as well. We just don't go burn shit and loot Targets in response. Racism exists for every race on this planet, but this false narrative being spewed everywhere is laughable at best. The media should be embarrassed for pushing the shit. The universities should be embarrassed by pushing the shit.
The media is cuplable.

Reactions: michaelgpierce21
There are a lot of similarities between Urban Black America and Rural White Appalachia when it comes to socioeconomic status and even the police.

There were protests near my home for months because an officer shot a white male that was on drugs and resisted arrest.

I have been on the Ronald Reagan bandwagon for a long time "The best social program is a job". We have a lot of social issues in this country both within black and white communities that for the most part ultimately tie into poverty. If we stop focusing so much on race and instead work on improving economic opportunity for ALL Americans, I believe that many of the social injustices will resolve themselves

The bigger challenge is getting people to expand their worlds. Most of us here are well traveled and have seen different cultures. We have gone to college and made friends with people of different backgrounds. We have played sports with people of all colors. Those types of activities are what teardown racial divides. Living with, befriending, learning from people of different backgrounds, cultures, religions and races. I think that is why so many of us get frustrated by this creeping into sports. Sports have done more for race relations and promoting understanding and unity than any other activity since the integration of athletics began.

I think many of us forget and have a hard time understanding that we still have huge number of people in White Appalachia that never leave their county and that rarely see a person of color. Their perspective of black people is shaped by the nightly news and shows like The Wire. Similarly, there are urban blacks that have few opportunities to leave their neighborhoods and their perspective of white America is shaped by the Kardashians and the Real Housewives of New Jersey. They have no idea what goes on in McDowell County, WV and the NBC Nightly News does not tell that story either.

It is probably over simplifying things but we could solve a lot of these problems by getting people jobs and sending them on vacation to see and experience something new.
This is a good take and I’ll add to it with my own personal experience.

I’ve been to 26 states and 4 European countries. (Belgium, UK, Poland and Austria). Quite honestly, I’ve Never once scene one person treated differently. It’s a really nice touch once you get out of this world and see for your own self what actually being a decent human can do.

Now given, I never went into the slums of ‘hood-ish’ parts of cities. I usually stay away from where the crime is.

You’ve touched on a good subject about crime. What most of the worst cities (Baltimore, Chicago, and Detroit) don’t do is fix the terrible crime there. Protestors are rarely interested in facts. Most of these clowns get their cable news from edited videos on Twitter. That’s whats really wrong with society.

I was not even going to comment on this. But, If you want to talk about injustice then lets have a conversation. This white people bad Black people good movement is wrong. You don't fix injustice by calling all whites racist. Do not even say that is not what is going on here. We should always be fair to everyone. If you act like an ass hole you should be treated like one no matter what color. I have to take classes for work that tell me how bad white people are and that we are all racists and we need to pay. Do you think that is the answer?.....Hell no its not the answer. Now we have the Big 12 telling us they are going to mandate that players be allowed to go out and disrespect our country by kneeling for the National Anthem. Is that a cure for racism? Is that a fix? Does that solve a damn thing? No, it increases the divide in America. It continues the ways of the left by pitting men against women, Blacks against whites, the left against the right. When one group has to be bad for the other to feel good that is just wrong. That is how we got here in the first place. This is shameful.
I promise you. This “mOvEmEnT” is nothing more than a trend for younger people. After they do their kneeling and fist throwing, the photos will be on social media to show off their wokeness. None of them probably care about issues. They just want a bunch of likes and re-Tweets.

Reactions: BoHed
I promise you. This “mOvEmEnT” is nothing more than a trend for younger people. After they do their kneeling and fist throwing, the photos will be on social media to show off their wokeness. None of them probably care about issues. They just want a bunch of likes and re-Tweets.

Twitter is almost 100% performative activism these days. I miss when it was just for sports and memes.

Blaming everybody but yourself for your own problems is contradictory to growth. Constructs that should have been learned in formative years. Participatory trophy culture is anti-evolutionary. Trust is earned, not given. Hard work pays off.

Reactions: Bootdawg and BigC
You seem to really care about these things......any idea how to stop this carnage that is taking place in our cities? Maybe some of our athletes can voice their concerns about this.......but I doubt it.......this has been going on for years and years....and not a peep.......no decals....zero kneeling.

Chicago Week in Progress (9/6 – 9/12).... It's only Wednesday morning.
Shot & Killed: 8
Total Shot: 37

Chicago September to Date ....It's only the 9th
Shot & Killed: 20
Total Shot: 104

Chicago 2020 Year to Date.....
Shot & Killed: 496
Total Shot: 2914

I really don't think you guys get it. You are going 1 level deep. So why are there so many black people in just 1 area of Chicago stuck in poverty killing themselves? What are the factors that led to this? The police are necessary, have a tough job but need better at deescalation training. It is as simple as that.

BLM is focusing on the wrong things. The police aren't the problem. They are a symptom of the overall problem, which is getting the minority population elevated.

Keep the politics out of my sports!!!

Same prople: Do know where the perfect place to discuss politics is? The Blue Lot

Twitter is almost 100% performative activism these days. I miss when it was just for sports and memes.
NF, if it wasn’t for sports, I’d delete Twitter tomorrow. Some days I wish there was just these subscription sites that people had to use. Twitter makes a lot of dumb people relevant.

That right there is the problem. Too many people want to argue over who values education less. Who is poorer. Who uses more drugs. Who gets locked up more. Like coming out on top of those lists is some type of badge of honor.

It makes far more sense to acknowledge that we have problems in those areas both black and white and working together to solve them rather than arguing over who has it worse.
Great point! And well said. The state of West Virginia has a low population of black people yet is one of the least educated states in the entire country. It’s not just a black issue. Time to work together.

There is no reason to offer anything else when someone says about 30x in one thread that African-Americans don't care about education. Its ridiculous.
Painting that broad of a brush is ridiculous, I agree. It's hard to argue that, culturally, the emphasis on education for a lot of black Americans is what it should be. There are a lot of black people, as well as many different POC immigrants, that do focus highly on education and avoiding trouble and are excelling in this country. I'm not suggesting that's all this is and that's the only solution to solve all social issues, but it's certainly a big factor. I also can only speak to my experience, but growing up in a community that was rather diverse by WV standards (Beckley), it was incredibly clear who was going to be successful based off of values during that time.

I am reminded of the classic Richard Pryor line to be delivered upon being stopped by the police:
"I am reaching into my pocket for my license". I don't wanna be no M*****-f*****g ACCIDENT."
Also there's this classic -

I really don't think you guys get it. You are going 1 level deep. So why are there so many black people in just 1 area of Chicago stuck in poverty killing themselves? What are the factors that led to this? The police are necessary, have a tough job but need better at deescalation training. It is as simple as that.

BLM is focusing on the wrong things. The police aren't the problem. They are a symptom of the overall problem, which is getting the minority population elevated.
Oh........I definitely get it. I use Chicago as an example of failed leadership that is systemic in most major cities across our country. Kneeling.......decals......and slogans........for what? That bullsh*t is cute and the media loves it....but it will not solve the issues. I would like to see the likes of LeBron in the neighborhoods instead of holding press conferences in a bubble.

Oh........I definitely get it. I use Chicago as an example of failed leadership that is systemic in most major cities across our country. Kneeling.......decals......and slogans........for what? That bullsh*t is cute and the media loves it....but it will not solve the issues. I would like to see the likes of LeBron in the neighborhoods instead of holding press conferences in a bubble.
Once Confederate battle flags are obliterated, all problems are solved. There will be a drastic reduction in un-wed births, inner city destruction, and young black incarceration. Got to solve the root cause.
Look - professional baiters like Rev Al have no desire to improve things because they would be out of a job. People like Burgess Owens, Ben Carson, or Condie Rice would be excellent leaders if they could get traction.

Totally agree.........but you and I both know how most of the media has portrayed these exceptional people.......politics is always a factor.
When a voting bloc votes 92% the same way for decades - the fix is in. With biased media and punishment for those that break ranks, I see little opportunity to fix it. Superficial actions such as kneeling, wearing stickers, tearing down statues, and eliminating flags simply kicks the can down the road and chums the water so that disenfranchised people "feel" like something is being down. These people are getting hosed from within way more than by some exterior force.

Last edited:
Thomas Sowell

Jeffery Robinson - ACLU

Officer Tatum

The first 2 videos are very long. But somewhere between these guys is the truth. Thomas Sowell has made the comparison between the inner city poor and the rural poor of Appalachia. I think he did it in that video.

Like I've said before, where there are true, institutionally based inequalities, lets fix it. But there also has to be some work, and ownership by the people that are experiencing the problems, before anything will get better. I think history has shown that it can't be fixed for them.

Totally agree.........but you and I both know how most of the media has portrayed these exceptional people.......politics is always a factor.

To me, Colin Powell would have made an excellent President. I know he was mixed up with Bush/Iraq/WMD's and that cost him.

I think me pointing out that there are racial issues in the country has people mistaken me for a liberal white privilege believer. I am close to the opposite. We do have issues, but the source of the issues aren't the police. We just get caught up in a few of the incidents that got out of control. I do think some policies, particularly when jailing non violent offenders has left a legacy of broken families that has really impacted a nuclear black family. My BIG issue is that every time this subject is brought up, many white people cry and scream that everything is fine and nobody should be complaining.

To me, Colin Powell would have made an excellent President. I know he was mixed up with Bush/Iraq/WMD's and that cost him.

I think me pointing out that there are racial issues in the country has people mistaken me for a liberal white privilege believer. I am close to the opposite. We do have issues, but the source of the issues aren't the police. We just get caught up in a few of the incidents that got out of control. I do think some policies, particularly when jailing non violent offenders has left a legacy of broken families that has really impacted a nuclear black family. My BIG issue is that every time this subject is brought up, many white people cry and scream that everything is fine and nobody should be complaining.

Sorry, I just can't let this go...who are you talking about...the real issue is that it is brought up every 4 years during a Presidential election and goes away as fast it came. On top of that, the way it's forced on society is insane. Every major event of a "police killed a black man" is followed up with riots before its vetted or the "truth" comes out about what really happened.

The real systemic racism and police brutality is not sexy...because it is addressed quickly and attorneys get involved quicker to make sure the $ is paid out as opposed to the "street justice" that comes with an election cycle.

Reactions: wvmoose
If one Mountaineer kneels for the National Anthem, I'll seriously consider leaving the fold. I knew a number of WVU friends who died in Vietnam where I served. A knee for the National Anthem IMHO is total disrespect for all who have served. Indeed we have issues, some racial, in this country that need to be discussed and solutions applied. HOWEVER, kneeling for the National Anthem DOES NOT do one thing to solve them. That action does create division more than about any other action that can be taken. My solution - as a team kneel BEFORE the National Anthem and stand DURING the National Anthem. Both protest and respect given.

LOL all you want, even most black people will admit it.

Education is either frowned on as "not being cool" or "trying to be like the white man".

It's well documented.

Last edited:
The fact that so many of you are "upset" over young black men voicing their concerns over racial injustice (which DOES still exist, BTW, there is no doubt that America has a long history of racial issues) reflects history in general. Anytime there is a push back on racial inequities, there is a white backlash. Why not just acknowledge history and their concerns and come together? This doesn't have to be a political issue.
Statistics that show racial injustices? This is a false narrative, and there are reasons black men are treated a bit differently by law enforcement, but I'll let you provide statistics showing that it does exist like you say.
@Gold-n-Blue I just scrolled 5 damn pages, anticipating your response......I'm still waiting. Are you still looking up the statistics???? ;) Good luck!

Great point! And well said. The state of West Virginia has a low population of black people yet is one of the least educated states in the entire country. It’s not just a black issue. Time to work together.
But WV is not the entire nation and this is a much larger problem in the black population than in the white population.

To try to frame it as being the same in both cultures is just flatly false.

I'm not sure I care anymore. Stand, kneel, sticker-up, raise your fist in the air, carry a sign...I don't care. It won't change who I am or how I treat other people regardless of color, sex, sexual orientation, religion, etc. I may watch the game(s) and I may not. If I don't, it won't be the product on the field that has turned me away.

Who would have thought to end racism, that all it would take is kneeling and stickers.
Who would have thought that kneeling and stickers would make grown adult men feel triggered, it’s crazy how so many adults are angered by this. Why do people care so much about what others do that don’t affect them? It’s silliness

Reactions: moe
Painting that broad of a brush is ridiculous, I agree. It's hard to argue that, culturally, the emphasis on education for a lot of black Americans is what it should be. There are a lot of black people, as well as many different POC immigrants, that do focus highly on education and avoiding trouble and are excelling in this country. I'm not suggesting that's all this is and that's the only solution to solve all social issues, but it's certainly a big factor. I also can only speak to my experience, but growing up in a community that was rather diverse by WV standards (Beckley), it was incredibly clear who was going to be successful based off of values during that time.
It's just the truth. Anyone who has done an in-depth study on the subject will tell you. It's a cultural problem in the black community.

When a voting bloc votes 92% the same way for decades - the fix is in. With biased media and punishment for those that break ranks, I see little opportunity to fix it. Superficial actions such as kneeling, wearing stickers, tearing down statues, and eliminating flags simply kicks the can down the road and chums the water so that disenfranchised people "feel" like something is being down. These people are getting hosed from within way more than by some anterior force.
But at some point, it's their responsibility to wake up and see it.

Who would have thought that kneeling and stickers would make grown adult men feel triggered, it’s crazy how so many adults are angered by this. Why do people care so much about what others do that don’t affect them? It’s silliness
Who would have thought that so many adults could miss the same point?

Reactions: WVUkegkiller
I 100% feel the same way! If someone has there own opinion or agenda that is there decision but nothing should be forced on anyone, it’s time for the other side to stand up for what they believe as well. It’s just getting out of hand!!
So, we need to wake up to the “Woke” folks?

It doesn’t bother me that much what college kids do, say, or even decide to put on their uniform. I do have a problem when a conference commissioner is forcing universities to participate in a social and political issue.

I think it's more about convincing federal, state and local governments to be more creative with solutions. And it's going to take some money....
Why is the answer always “more money”? That’s the problem, just throw more money and you can solve the problem. I just don’t buy it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT