ADVERTISEMENT

Tell Huggy to take care of himself, he's a pompous ass

Just makes sense but we can never get past WVU's position that they're too good to play MU...but not too good to play the WCU Catamounts. They have more disingenuous excuses than protractor has angles.

I see it as the exact opposite. Marshall is a mid-major school, and not even a good one at that ... but yet they keep demanding that we do things for them that we wouldn't do for other schools of their caliber. Why would we go to Marshall every other year? We don't do that with anybody of that stature. As you are always quick to point out, almost our whole non conference schedule are teams that come to Morgantown with no return trip.

We don't owe Marshall preferential treatment just because they are in the same state ... especially when you look at their attitude and statements made about us.

"If they don't play us every year it's because they are afraid of us" --- give me a f'n break. Afraid of Marshall? We just did a home and home with VA, we have 2 games every year with about 5 teams from our conference that are in the NCAA's more often than not. The statements that come from the coaches and administration from Marshall over the years have just been utter nonsense.

Reactions: countryroads89
I see it as the exact opposite. Marshall is a mid-major school, and not even a good one at that ... but yet they keep demanding that we do things for them that we wouldn't do for other schools of their caliber. Why would we go to Marshall every other year? We don't do that with anybody of that stature. As you are always quick to point out, almost our whole non conference schedule are teams that come to Morgantown with no return trip.

We don't owe Marshall preferential treatment just because they are in the same state ... especially when you look at their attitude and statements made about us.

"If they don't play us every year it's because they are afraid of us" --- give me a f'n break. Afraid of Marshall? We just did a home and home with VA, we have 2 games every year with about 5 teams from our conference that are in the NCAA's more often than not. The statements that come from the coaches and administration from Marshall over the years have just been utter nonsense.

So WVU is too good to play MU?

In football I think over a 10 year contract 6-4 at WVU is fair, however MU would have to be paid higher than any P5 school you bring in to town due to the fan base and attendance it would carry with them. You can't pay MU the same as you would Ohio, the attendance difference is going to be 10-15,000 which equates to a lot of money
In bball I don'treally care, home and home or neural site is fair

So WVU is too good to play MU?

Nope ... come to our gym and play us like everybody else of your stature.
Or the occasional game in Charleston where we get the gate and you get the usual allotment of tickets for anybody else that comes to Charleston.

Marshall thinks they are too good to accept the same terms we'd offer anybody else.

Reactions: Motown Mounty
In football I think over a 10 year contract 6-4 at WVU is fair, however MU would have to be paid higher than any P5 school you bring in to town due to the fan base and attendance it would carry with them. You can't pay MU the same as you would Ohio, the attendance difference is going to be 10-15,000 which equates to a lot of money
In bball I don'treally care, home and home or neural site is fair

That is utterly and completely wrong.
The Marshall fan attendance at the last two games of the football series was dismal. Also, the fans from the teams out of state will get hotel rooms and eat at restaurants in the Morgantown area. More fans are brought in when we play other schools, and more money enters the WV economy from other schools. I've had season tickets for years ... I see the attendance from other fans for every OOC game we play. Youngstown State brought 3x's the fans that Marshall did during that last game.

Nope ... come to our gym and play us like everybody else of your stature.
Or the occasional game in Charleston where we get the gate and you get the usual allotment of tickets for anybody else that comes to Charleston.

Marshall thinks they are too good to accept the same terms we'd offer anybody else.
That of coarse will never happen! Hang a banner and maybe we'll accept your superior " stature" position!

That is utterly and completely wrong.
The Marshall fan attendance at the last two games of the football series was dismal. Also, the fans from the teams out of state will get hotel rooms and eat at restaurants in the Morgantown area. More fans are brought in when we play other schools, and more money enters the WV economy from other schools. I've had season tickets for years ... I see the attendance from other fans for every OOC game we play. Youngstown State brought 3x's the fans that Marshall did during that last game.

I'm not talking local establishments making money I'm talking about asses in seats. You're going to have show me proof YSU brought more fans then us

We would probably let you boys off the hook, if you would simply be honest and admit to why you don't want to play the Herd. We've heard the tall tales for years, and quite frankly, we take those with a grain of salt. If you would only admit that you're scared of losing, then we would admire you for your honesty, and well, as I said, let you off the hook.
When was the last time MVU best us in anything? Asked that question 9 months ago and none of you idiots have answered me.

Just makes sense but we can never get past WVU's position that they're too good to play MU...but not too good to play the WCU Catamounts. They have more disingenuous excuses than protractor has angles.
Actually we don't play them in Cullowhee just like we don't play MVU in Huntington.

When was the last time MVU best us in anything? Asked that question 9 months ago and none of you idiots have answered me.
I don't have the answer, but to be honest, I'm only interested in the two revenue sports. Obviously, we cannot beat a team that's decided to take a powder. Get on the schedule, and then we can talk further.

I don't have the answer, but to be honest, I'm only interested in the two revenue sports. Obviously, we cannot beat a team that's decided to take a powder. Get on the schedule, and then we can talk further.
So 7 in a row in basketball and 12-0 in football. Take a powder from a cream buff. What happened? Did MVU win a game and that has you guys all delusional again.

If I were mayor:
The city of Charleston would eat the rent for the Civic Center. Based on the exposure for the new reno they are now doing and the taxes collected (food, gas, hotels)
A hotel would house the teams for advertising rights.
Add one car dealer or beer company to pay for the officials.
Sell the TV rights to split between the schools and any other expenses incurred to put on the event.

At that point, the ticket sales would be opened up. The civic center would take all the requests, place you on the side or school you support and at the end of the day, the money for the amount of fans that actually bought the tickets would go for the school they support.

Do that for three years and then see where each party stands. It would be a big event for the city of Charleston and their new Civic Center and would shut up this decades long "you're chicken, no you guys are chicken, no your coach coach is a chicken, ...." posts.

If I were mayor:
The city of Charleston would eat the rent for the Civic Center. Based on the exposure for the new reno they are now doing and the taxes collected (food, gas, hotels)
A hotel would house the teams for advertising rights.
Add one car dealer or beer company to pay for the officials.
Sell the TV rights to split between the schools and any other expenses incurred to put on the event.

At that point, the ticket sales would be opened up. The civic center would take all the requests, place you on the side or school you support and at the end of the day, the money for the amount of fans that actually bought the tickets would go for the school they support.

Do that for three years and then see where each party stands. It would be a big event for the city of Charleston and their new Civic Center and would shut up this decades long "you're chicken, no you guys are chicken, no your coach coach is a chicken, ...." posts.
We'd go for that ....but WVU wont!

Nada, I got one more open tourney to coach, then regionals, and then states if he qualifies. After March 18th, I get a break for a month then it's baseball season for him and softball for her. 6 days a week at a ball field [thumbsup]
ah parenthood....I remember that...enjoy it...you'll be "looking back" on it a lot sooner than you think:cry:

We'd go for that ....but WVU wont!
How does anyone know for sure. With some of the moves on the part of Marshall's AD, I wouldn't come right out and say that.

But it certainly would make for a shut up or put up moment for both sides and would finally put the series in the hands of the fans.

How does anyone know for sure. With some of the moves on the part of Marshall's AD, I wouldn't come right out and say that.

But it certainly would make for a shut up or put up moment for both sides and would finally put the series in the hands of the fans.

Most of the whining about the series no longer being played comes from the Marshall camp. Too bad for them that their past and current administrations mis-handled their efforts in keeping it going. Charleston area people show up at the Civic Center to see the Mountaineers no matter who they play. For years the opponent was Marshall until they poked the Huggy Bear.

Like I said before, neither "camp" wants to play a neutral site game and split the gate and the expenses 50/50.

The series stopping had little to do with the coaches egos and more to do about the money.

Like I said before, neither "camp" wants to play a neutral site game and split the gate and the expenses 50/50.

The series stopping had little to do with the coaches egos and more to do about the money.

It actually had more to do with Dantoni spouting off about wanting two games every year on his terms and claiming that if WVU didn't go for it that it meant they were afraid. See the link I posted earlier in this thread.

It actually had more to do with Dantoni spouting off about wanting two games every year on his terms and claiming that if WVU didn't go for it that it meant they were afraid. See the link I posted earlier in this thread.
I think what he was prosing or meant to propose was home and home in alternate years ...but no chance you boys would go for that either. Why put your perfect record in Huntington at risk!

Sorry, I have to concentrate on Rice, I believe the Owls have as many wins in Huntington as do the Mounties.
7 in a row. Hey did you hang a banner every time MVU beat WVU. Just wondering. Hey WVU beat you in Huntington and Morgantown in football. Have you guys ever beat us in football?

7 in a row. Hey did you hang a banner every time MVU beat WVU. Just wondering. Hey WVU beat you in Huntington and Morgantown in football. Have you guys ever beat us in football?
I'll comment tomorrow after we beat Rice...Mounties, Owls what's the diff for the mighty Herd!

... and all five of those wins by Marshall University over WVU in Huntington were done under the leadership of the coach who put Marshall on probation and was banned for 5 years from having any contact with an NCAA program. Rick Huckabee.

Cheaters.

I'm not talking local establishments making money I'm talking about asses in seats. You're going to have show me proof YSU brought more fans then us

I didn't take pictures of the visiting section during that game ... but Marshall brought practically nobody to the last game.

That of coarse will never happen! Hang a banner and maybe we'll accept your superior " stature" position!

None of those other teams require a banner ... again, Marshall thinks they are better than they are by requiring a banner before accepting terms that many teams better than Marshall already accept.

I didn't take pictures of the visiting section during that game ... but Marshall brought practically nobody to the last game.

Like I said provide proof to what you claimed which was YSU brought more fans than Marshall

2012 Marshall at West Virginia
Attendance: 59,120

2016 Youngstown State at West Virginia
Attendance: 56,261
Same day
2016 Morgan State at Marshall
Attendance: 26,488
Total 82,749

So 59,120 fans buying tickets, paying parking, gas, food, concessions, etc is better for the state than 82,749 fans doing the same thing on the same day??? That is why I never bought into that claim.

It would appear that Marshall did cause less than 3,000 more fans in attendance than Youngstown State in Morgantown, but if I recall, Marshall did turn back in tickets they could not sell for the last game. So much for Herd fans travelling well on the road.

2012 Marshall at West Virginia
Attendance: 59,120

2016 Youngstown State at West Virginia
Attendance: 56,261
Same day
2016 Morgan State at Marshall
Attendance: 26,488
Total 82,749

So 59,120 fans buying tickets, paying parking, gas, food, concessions, etc is better for the state than 82,749 fans doing the same thing on the same day??? That is why I never bought into that claim.

It would appear that Marshall did cause less than 3,000 more fans in attendance than Youngstown State in Morgantown, but if I recall, Marshall did turn back in tickets they could not sell for the last game. So much for Herd fans travelling well on the road.
Let's be honest here. Who got excited about the big game between YSU and WVU? Who got excited about the big game between Morgan State and Marshall? Point being, those are snore bore games. Granted, WVU may have beaten the Herd by 40 points, but at least the buildup to the game would at the very least, excite both fan bases. YSU, Morgan State? Find something better to do. Cut the grass, stain the deck, drink 15 while playing 18.

Let's be honest here. Who got excited about the big game between YSU and WVU? Who got excited about the big game between Morgan State and Marshall? Point being, those are snore bore games. Granted, WVU may have beaten the Herd by 40 points, but at least the buildup to the game would at the very least, excite both fan bases. YSU, Morgan State? Find something better to do. Cut the grass, stain the deck, drink 15 while playing 18.
Precisely! If you take all the zero sum game nonsense and Machevillian posturing out of the equation , aren't all college sports really about entertainment?

Precisely! If you take all the zero sum game nonsense and Machevillian posturing out of the equation , aren't all college sports really about entertainment?
That's what it's all about, entertaining the fine folks of West Virginia. If they can make this work out in the smoke filled streets of Colorado, then surely they can make it work in WV. Colorado-Colorado State is always a big game out in the Rockies. That's a P5-G5 in-state matchup.

Bottom line, most folks know the true reason why there's no in-state game involving the two WV programs. One team (and it's fans) are afraid of losing, and it's not the team that wears green. Lace them up. It's only a game.

What is better for the state financially is that there were 23,629 more people who thought enough of both schools and who they were playing to put down their hard earned money to attend.
Now if you are just talking about "exciting the fan bases then I guess getting on message boards calling each other fags leading up to "the big game", going to Arron's Beat the school up north BAKE SALE, the "I have a herd on to beat uwv, West (F___ Marshall) Virginia t-shirts will be big and the endless WSAZ commercials for the tri-state area broadcast will certainly "excite" both fan bases. I'm sure WVU vs Marshall dwarfs the Duke vs North Carolina or Michigan vs Michigan State or USC vs UCLA buildups.
Let's be real honest here, West Virginia University is not one of the big boys. When the lights shine the brightest on the program, they normally get beat. (Oklahoma at WVU this past fall, vs. NotreDame in 88 & one win away vs Pitt for the title shot) Big time programs do not wilt under in that situation. Under three different coaches. West Virginia is down at the end of the table getting what is left. BUT they are at the big table and in order to get at least a slim chance of respect they have to do what is best for WVU. Giving Marshall a long term series, as compared to getting FSU, PSU, Pitt, Virginia Tech on the schedule ..... who would (in your right mind) schedule Marshall over the other schools? National TV compared to TV 8 Charleston?

As far as Marshall's position, let me just say that they are and will not likely ever be the same level as WVU any time soon.

Say what you want, but WVU has made it's way to the big table / Big 12 without having beat the likes of Marshall University to get there. Both schools did not derive their success off beating the other.

Now you folks can get back to the name calling and whatever else, but let's at least be honest with each other about this one point. (some how I doubt that will happen)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT