ADVERTISEMENT

Saying Rich Rod failed after WVU is just moronic

VaultHunter

All-Conference
Gold Member
Apr 16, 2014
At Michigan a place where it's hard for many coaches to succeed he increased his win total every year.

Went 7-4 against a Big10 schedule probably a little more impressive than Brown's second season at WVU.

If he's given that 4th season he has a BCS Bowl team. Michigan stupidly jumped the gun on firing him. It took him 5 seasons at WVU to actually get it going.

At Arizona he had Two 8 win seasons

One 10 win season

Two 7 win seasons

One losing season.

Going 45-35 at Arizona is like going 45-35 at Wake Forest or Vanderbilt. I lived in Phoenix during his Arizona years, trust me ASU and Arizona are tough places to win at. Why go to Southern Arizona when you can go to Southern California or a Blue Blood like Texas. That area is twice as difficult to recruit to as WVU deals with.

I get hating him because you feel betrayed but saying he failed (like a few select people claim) is silly and an uneducated biased claim. Get over it.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
He failed at Michigan. You can't win in the B1G when you recruit tons of small skill-position players who played offense in high school, move the back-ups to defense, and ignore the trenches. Not a recipe for success in the B1G.

At Michigan a place where it's hard for many coaches to succeed he increased his win total every year.

Went 7-4 against a Big10 schedule probably a little more impressive than Brown's second season at WVU.

If he's given that 4th season he has a BCS Bowl team. Michigan stupidly jumped the gun on firing him. It took him 5 seasons at WVU to actually get it going.

One 10 win season

Two 7 win seasons

One losing season.

Going 45-35 at Arizona is like going 45-35 at Wake Forest or Vanderbilt. I lived in Phoenix during his Arizona years, trust me ASU and Arizona are tough places to win at. Why go to Southern Arizona when you can go to Southern California or a Blue Blood like Texas. That area is twice as difficult to recruit to as WVU deals with.

I get hating him because you feel betrayed but saying he failed (like a few select people claim) is silly and an uneducated biased claim. Get over it.

LOGIC NEVER GETS VERY FAN AMONG SPORTS FANS. WVU FANS ARE NOT UNIQUE IN THAT IRRATIONALITY.

One 10 win season

Two 7 win seasons

One losing season.

FAKE NEWS ALERT! Rodriguez was NEVER 7-4 at Michigan. He was 3-9, 5-7, and 7-6 in his three seasons in Ann Arbor. His B1G record was...wait for it...6-18. He was even worse than I had remembered.

It was actually worse than that if you go a little deeper. At Michigan he was 11-11 at home and brought them the grief of 5 NCAA violations in 2010. Were any of the violations as blatant as paying players? No, but together it showed a pattern of knowingly violating rules as though they didn't apply to Michigan.

Further, lay off the cupcakes at Michigan. In Big 10 play he was 2-6, 1-7, 3-5. He did manage to get to a bowl with 7 wins his final year where he lost to SEC bottom feeder Mississippi State 52-14 in the Gator bowl. It was the most points ever scored by one team in the Gator Bowl, and the worst loss Michigan has ever suffered in any bowl game in its long history. That will get you fired even without the NCAA violations.

From 2012 - 2017 Rich Rod was 43-35 at Arizona including cupcakes, but only 24-30 against the mighty PAC 12. 2014 was his one good year after WVU at 10-4 (7-2 PAC), but he ended it with a 38-30 Fiesta bowl loss to G5 Boise State.

ULM Associate HC and OC is not exactly a lateral move from being a P5 head coach.

There you have what Paul Harvey called "The rest of the story." By the way, I have no animosity against Rich Rod. His leaving WVU when he did was probably best for both parties, and people say a lot of things out of anger or when they feel they are being wrongly attacked.

Rodriguez had a great thing going in Morgantown. He wanted more --for himself and sold WVU down the river to get it.

Had he stayed? Maybe WVU is Alabama of today. Instead WVU and Rodriguez are shells of what they were in football.

If you remember Alabama back then was about like the WVU of today under Brown. Rodriguez even turned down that job (bet he regrets that now).

• Haha
Reactions: WV Bruno
So Rich's AD at the time bears NO blame for NOT coming up with improvements wanted to give WVU a better shot at getting good players. At that time Rich had enough national reputation that WVU could have started a train of good high school athletes heading for Morgantown but the AD, in the final, coasting years of his time at WVU, couldn't be bothered or inspired. Always more than one side to every story. But if you hate Rod you can't see his talents WHILE AT WVU. No accident that WVU came within a hair of making the national football playoffs till the 9-13 loss to Pitt with Pat White injured and, even at that, could have won the game with a pass into the end zone from deep into the red zone at the end. Why are people so one-sided. Was Rich a prick? Yes, particularly after he left WVU. Did he has a major ego? Yes. So do a lot of good coaches. WVU fans always piss on coaches and players who dare to leave WVU. Doesn't reflect well on the fans who do. Even on this post the hatred for Rich is so deep, as if he just left 10 minutes ago. It's a puzzlement.

RRod wanted things that were illegal. Pastilong had no idea how to think outside the box. If we had Luck as AD then, Rod would have stayed because Luck would have explained to him what was reasonable and what wasn't. We wouldn't have been Alabama, but we would have been a great addition to the SEC after winning the NC in 2007. Likely we would be an LSU level program. Rod would still be here. It worked out poorly for both sides.

Reactions: Mountain Man
RRod wanted things that were illegal. Pastilong had no idea how to think outside the box. If we had Luck as AD then, Rod would have stayed because Luck would have explained to him what was reasonable and what wasn't. We wouldn't have been Alabama, but we would have been a great addition to the SEC after winning the NC in 2007. Likely we would be an LSU level program. Rod would still be here. It worked out poorly for both sides.

Rich did not "want things that were illegal." He wanted improved facilities, like other schools have, etc. Stop hating Rich for the wrong reasons.

Reactions: WV Bruno
I'm not saying Rod wanted anything illegal at WVU, but things he knowingly did or approved of were very illegal at Michigan the year before he was fired. And those things were more of punishment to make the players go harder and longer, not to reward them. Why are we even debating what could have been?

WVU could have had a NC against ND and likely another shot when they gave away a game to a hapless Pitt team. Now Rich can barely pay Rita's bills. Expenses always expand to accommodate income.

So Rich's AD at the time bears NO blame for NOT coming up with improvements wanted to give WVU a better shot at getting good players. At that time Rich had enough national reputation that WVU could have started a train of good high school athletes heading for Morgantown but the AD, in the final, coasting years of his time at WVU, couldn't be bothered or inspired. Always more than one side to every story. But if you hate Rod you can't see his talents WHILE AT WVU. No accident that WVU came within a hair of making the national football playoffs till the 9-13 loss to Pitt with Pat White injured and, even at that, could have won the game with a pass into the end zone from deep into the red zone at the end. Why are people so one-sided. Was Rich a prick? Yes, particularly after he left WVU. Did he has a major ego? Yes. So do a lot of good coaches. WVU fans always piss on coaches and players who dare to leave WVU. Doesn't reflect well on the fans who do. Even on this post the hatred for Rich is so deep, as if he just left 10 minutes ago. It's a puzzlement.

Not hatred it is the truth.

The guys career has failed. Unless you believe being the OC at UL Monroe is on the same level as being the HC at Michigan.

Read Option started to include the Pass.

Meaning that throwing ability was as important if not more important than running ability.

Rich Rodriguez is horrible with QBs. Saw this at Michigan more than anything.

Could have had any QB he wanted...
But stuck with the one who wasn't much of a passer.

He is too hard headed. Helped him get where he went. But he isn't there anymore.

Needs to change his offense up and realize...
The ball moves faster than feet do...

Can gain more yards and be more explosive with the pass.

Reactions: mofo
I don't know if RR broke the law at WVU, but from reports back then he wanted the AD to structure finances for himself in a way that violated NCAA regulations.

One 10 win season

Two 7 win seasons

One losing season.

[roll]
Coach comparison smack to try and belittle the current staff who has had 22 games.

You can't make this shit up. Freaking hilarious.

Desperate Trolls make dumb trolls.

Last edited:
I don't know if RR broke the law at WVU, but from reports back then he wanted the AD to structure finances for himself in a way that violated NCAA regulations.
He wanted the better facilities which they have now. There was no money like there is today.Whatever he shredded in his office nobody knows.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Alabama found out Saban was available and said screw off Had he stayed? Maybe WVU is Alabama of today. Instead WVU and Rodriguez are shells of what they were in football.

If you remember Alabama back then was about like the WVU of today under Brown. Rodriguez even turned down that job (bet he regrets that now).
[roll]

Give me Brown and the talent at Alabama when Rod Fraud supposedly turned down the job and watch a national championship develope before your eyes.

Last edited:

One 10 win season

Two 7 win seasons

One losing season.

And I thought I was a troll.

We can't we disagree without being disagreeable. People whose opinions differ from ours are human beings, too. They have a right to be wrong, just as you do.

We can't we disagree without being disagreeable. People whose opinions differ from ours are human beings, too. They have a right to be wrong, just as you do.

And you claim to be a writer. Do you not proof read your material?

Rod was not as successful at his other venues as he was at WVU.

No hate there. Just plain and simple facts.

Case closed.

One 10 win season

Two 7 win seasons

One losing season.

So what?

The guy left WVU for another job. No problem.

The guy trashed WVU on the way out the door. Big problem. He thereby chose to no longer be a Mountaineer. He chose poorly. His post-WVU record doesn't matter. He is insignificant.

One 10 win season

Two 7 win seasons

One losing season.

Saying you are anything other than a shit stirring tool is moronic. You expect more of Brown at WVU now than the break you are giving RR at Michigan. You factor in location to excuse RR at Arizona, but ignore the fact he had 3 years at Blue Blood Michigan. Saying anything about Brown now is moronic given you don't have much of a body of work, but that hasn't stopped tools like you. You speculate that despite average at best results at Michigan that RR was just about to turn the corner, but 2 seasons at middling Power 5 program allows you to peg Brown as bad? Calling RR's steady decline after 2007 for what it is isn't moronic. However giving Vault Hunter's opinion any respect most certainly is moronic.

Saying you are anything other than a shit stirring tool is moronic. You expect more of Brown at WVU now than the break you are giving RR at Michigan. You factor in location to excuse RR at Arizona, but ignore the fact he had 3 years at Blue Blood Michigan. Saying anything about Brown now is moronic given you don't have much of a body of work, but that hasn't stopped tools like you. You speculate that despite average at best results at Michigan that RR was just about to turn the corner, but 2 seasons at middling Power 5 program allows you to peg Brown as bad? Calling RR's steady decline after 2007 for what it is isn't moronic. However giving Vault Hunter's opinion any respect most certainly is moronic.

Rich had one of the best QB’s and running backs (argueably)- dropped in his lap and toss in Owen Smid

Deserves more credit.

He caught lightning in the bottle and rode that to Michigan.
Made the most of it.
But the issue is they he is still trying to ride it.

Defenses changed. Have to attack on downfield

One 10 win season

Two 7 win seasons

One losing season.

It’s very telling that your post is getting you trashed and 1 person liked it…that person isn’t well liked either 🤷🏼‍♂️

FAKE NEWS ALERT! Rodriguez was NEVER 7-4 at Michigan. He was 3-9, 5-7, and 7-6 in his three seasons in Ann Arbor. His B1G record was...wait for it...6-18. He was even worse than I had remembered.
Hmmmm...... upward trend each year. He was fired because he wasn't a Michigan guy.

Rich did not "want things that were illegal." He wanted improved facilities, like other schools have, etc. Stop hating Rich for the wrong reasons.
Rod wanted players to be able to sell their text books for profit. He also wanted to create a “paid access” to get in on insider info and player access. Both of these were super illegal.

Reactions: WVUALLEN and Euell
Rod wanted players to be able to sell their text books for profit. He also wanted to create a “paid access” to get in on insider info and player access. Both of these were super illegal.
I’m pretty sure that Teddy Dupay from the Florida hoops program got suspended from selling his textbooks or he stole and sold them

Glad to see you back....notice you took a leave after Vernon bitch-slapped you around last week.
Well it seems some of liberal progressive forum dweebs do take offense to the truth...and run to daddy to fix life. Would rather slobber over themselves than be called out. For myself...saying it like it is gets me over 50% comment likes. Know anybody else who comes close to that? What about you? There you go. Have a fine day.

Reactions: KingCoal
Well it seems some of liberal progressive forum dweebs do take offense to the truth...and run to daddy to fix life. Would rather slobber over themselves than be called out. For myself...saying it like it is gets me over 50% comment likes. Know anybody else who comes close to that? What about you? There you go. Have a fine day.

What's up, girl

Rod was 1 of 2 guys to finish at Michigan with a losing record overall
Rod 15-22
the other
Frank Crawford 4-5 in 1891

Rod and Bump Elliot (1959-1968) were the only 2 coaches to have conference losing records. Bump Elliot at least finished with a better overall record than Rod with a 51-42-2 (32-34-2) and won a Rose Bowl in 1964.

You cute thread has failed you.

Rod was the right coach for WVU at that time. Set a team personality that elevated the program profile. Team has been all over the board since then. Discussion of his time at Michigan is a useless waste of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT