ADVERTISEMENT

Reparations for Slavery/McConnell's comments

slavery based on race, and perpetuated in systemic conditions in our nation is a unique conversation.
It’s not unique in history, and it’s not unique in the history of our nation. Using the Native Americans as an example. There were tribes as you know who specifically preyed on other specific tribes.

Reactions: atlkvb
It’s not unique in history, and it’s not unique in the history of our nation. Using the Native Americans as an example. There were tribes as you know who specifically preyed on other specific tribes.
It absolutely is unique, as it pertains to modern systems of government, education, social gateways and barriers, and financial structures that were no where near paralleled in the times in your post above.

Here's just one thread among many. In this example, you were trying to insist Hannity was hypocritical for making legal investments in distressed properties without
a) knowing what you were talking about
b) not understanding it was not an example of hypocrisy
c) refusing to acknowledge your error accusing Hannity of something he wasn't even guilty of, and then even refusing to admit you were wrong about your own level of hypocrisy.

link
https://westvirginia.forums.rivals.com/threads/is-hannity’s-use-of-hud-insured-mortgage-loans-hypocrisy-or-just-good-business.173487/
Yeah, no

Yeah, not at all

"He's as blind as he can be, just sees what he wants to see, no where man can you see me at all?" :eek:kay:
darjool-c684d436-a525-4995-84ee-a76a4241b803.png

Of course slavery based on "race" is NOT unique in human history!

https://reformjudaism.org/were-jews-slaves-egypt

http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?
historyid=ac41#2624

https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-today/modern-slavery/

http://www.endslaverynow.org/learn/slavery-today

Mostly for the reparations, pro-Iran, and concentration camp crowd. If you’re in that group, then it applies to you.
I’ve said 2-3 times in this thread, I’m not for reparations. I’m not pro-Iran by any measure, but I’m not pro-nuclear let god sort em out either. I don’t know what the fvck the concentration camp thing is

I had a conversation with a young woman from Haiti a couple of year’s ago. She was caring for my mother. She said dark-skinned people in Haiti were discriminated against by lighter-skinned people. I must admit I was suprised.
Its the EXACT same way in Mexico..

Mostly for the reparations, pro-Iran, and concentration camp crowd. If you’re in that group, then it applies to you.

And you left out those that say even though it happened over 150 years ago, it has no effect on the ancestors of those it did affect......I mean, in 150 years, nobody will ever talk about the Holocaust or will the families of the victims empathize.

And you left out those that say even though it happened over 150 years ago, it has no effect on the ancestors of those it did affect......I mean, in 150 years, nobody will ever talk about the Holocaust or will the families of the victims empathize.
I’m one of those that say anyone trying to use slavery as anything more than historical event is full of shit. I simply do not care. My people weren’t here then, and I refuse to be grouped into the wicked “white man”. Fvck em.

I’m one of those that say anyone trying to use slavery as anything more than historical event is full of shit. I simply do not care. My people weren’t here then, and I refuse to be grouped into the wicked “white man”. Fvck em.
And......the legitimacy of the discussion goes right out the window.

And......the legitimacy of the discussion goes right out the window.
Not really. I acknowledge slavery occurred. I acknowledge segregation occurred. I acknowledge both were horrible and set up a scenario which made it more challenging for African Americans to grow. What I don’t acknowledge is that I in any way or anyone alive today is responsible for it. It’s not a hard concept to grasp.

Reactions: Airport

That's right, YOU were not affected. What about those that ancestors were? They empathize with them, as do Holocaust families.

That's right, YOU were not affected. What about those that ancestors were? They empathize with them, as do Holocaust families.
Several months ago, this individual and I were having a conversation on a different subject and he admitted his position in life on most of these type of subjects that can get caught up in politics is one without empathy. He is strictly "what does it mean for me" approach which is consistent with most positions of the republican party. He was honest and forthright and even though I am totally opposite, I will not criticize his honesty on the subject. It is his worldview. No conversation will change it; only a life event he may incur sometime in the future can possibly change that type of in-grown position.

Several months ago, this individual and I were having a conversation on a different subject and he admitted his position in life on most of these type of subjects that can get caught up in politics is one without empathy. He is strictly "what does it mean for me" approach which is consistent with most positions of the republican party. He was honest and forthright and even though I am totally opposite, I will not criticize his honesty on the subject. It is his worldview. No conversation will change it; only a life event he may incur sometime in the future can possibly change that type of in-grown position.

I disagree that most Republican positions are "what does it mean for me." I agree that on the surface it can seem that way because the Democrat position often is "Let's have government fix people's problems" and the Republican response often is "No," but the full Republican response is "No, government doesn't fix the problems, it makes them worse."

Not really. I acknowledge slavery occurred. I acknowledge segregation occurred. I acknowledge both were horrible and set up a scenario which made it more challenging for African Americans to grow. What I don’t acknowledge is that I in any way or anyone alive today is responsible for it. It’s not a hard concept to grasp.

The Left uses that as part of an overall strategy to insinuate this nation at its foundation was illegitimate and fraudulently built on a pack of lies. They never give it as much credit for ending slavery as they blame it for allowing slavery in the first place. They will forever hang the stain of slavery around America's neck to always use it as a tool to shame the nation over its founding or accuse it of rank hypocrisy relative to its stated foundations of equality for all.

The Left uses that as part of an overall strategy to insinuate this nation at its foundation was illegitimate and fraudulently built on a pack of lies. They never give it as much credit for ending slavery as they blame it for allowing slavery in the first place. They will forever hang the stain of slavery around America's neck to always use it as a tool to shame the nation over its founding or accuse it of rank hypocrisy relative to its stated foundations of equality for all.

Britain deserves a lot of the credit for fighting/ending slavery........(EDIT: Although it is a bit of hypocrisy that they also tried to help the South, for cotton no doubt, which would have kept slavery.......)

Britain deserves a lot of the credit for fighting/ending slavery........(EDIT: Although it is a bit of hypocrisy that they also tried to help the South, for cotton no doubt, which would have kept slavery.......)

That may or may not be true, it still doesn't change the nature of my post in #140, which I'd invite anyone on the Left to dispute.

But there you go.....it’s all about blame.....no, it should be about making a better America for everyone. Understanding complexities that are (or at the very least have been) creating a current against prosperity and attributing to poverty, crime, violence and inefficient government is an endeavor that benefits everyone in the nation. Reparations just takes that conversation to a place of severe dichotomy that entrenches hostility and blame.

When discussing problems and solutions, almost every aspect of the “reparations” discussion is touched on.....if the conversation is an honest one.

You’re partially correct. I have very little empathy for poor personal decisions. It’s like the ants and grasshopper story, only I don’t believe in helping the grasshopper after piss poor planning. I will not reward bad behavior with less responsibility or less accountability.

Find me someone that wants to earn a hand up, I’ll empty my bank account to help them. Unfortunately, that’s lessening percentage in the lower socioeconomic classes.

Simple, stop stealing the fvcking grocery carts from Food Lion and taking them back into section 8. Stop riding the grocery scooters home and leaving them where they run out of battery.

slavery was a globally and morally accepted practice. Mass genocide was not. The retroactive application of morality doesn’t work with me and it’s not an excuse. Your analogy, like most times, is terrible.

It would be appropriate to apply towards Jews if they were committing genocide now against the Germans. Or, if they dropped a nuke on Iran. “Well, remember the holocaust, we have to excuse it”. Ridiculous notion.

But there you go.....it’s all about blame.....no, it should be about making a better America for everyone. Understanding complexities that are (or at the very least have been) creating a current against prosperity and attributing to poverty, crime, violence and inefficient government is an endeavor that benefits everyone in the nation. Reparations just takes that conversation to a place of severe dichotomy that entrenches hostility and blame.

When discussing problems and solutions, almost every aspect of the “reparations” discussion is touched on.....if the conversation is an honest one.
Give me a target objective. When is it that we can say “we’ve done enough, we’re done with this discussion”?

slavery was a globally and morally accepted practice. Mass genocide was not. The retroactive application of morality doesn’t work with me and it’s not an excuse. Your analogy, like most times, is terrible.

It would be appropriate to apply towards Jews if they were committing genocide now against the Germans. Or, if they dropped a nuke on Iran. “Well, remember the holocaust, we have to excuse it”. Ridiculous notion.
Fully disagree on the incorrect point that slavery was a globally moral practice. It was more widespread back in the day and at different levels depending on when and where but it wasn't and never has been a moral act from anything I have ever read going back to biblical times.

Give me a target objective. When is it that we can say “we’ve done enough, we’re done with this discussion”?
When African American poverty levels are parallel to their percentage of the overall US population, I think the discussion isnt needed on a policy level.

What stops people from escaping poverty currently?
I think that’s a general question whose answer is more specified when looking at individual cases. Education, debt, violence in one’s environment, home life, job opportunities, funds available to relocate, family obligations, etc.....

The question is whether or not there are excessive barriers for socioeconomic advancement that exist among Americans of certain races (this could be due to location, racism, culture, etc..)?

I think that’s a general question whose answer is more specified when looking at individual cases. Education, debt, violence in one’s environment, home life, job opportunities, funds available to relocate, family obligations, etc.....

The question is whether or not there are excessive barriers for socioeconomic advancement that exist among Americans of certain races (this could be due to location, racism, culture, etc..)?
So did slavery cause more people to be in poverty today?

Leftists are outraged over the moral stain of slavery but silent over the moral holocaust of abortion on demand.(particularly of Black children) They complain about the disadvantages left to the decendants of slaves from 150 years ago but they ignore the pathological damage left by their misguided social welfare programs for minorities of the past half century.

Zero credibility.

The Left is so disingenuous about this issue of "reparations" it's comical. They managed to have a Black President (not once but twice) who each controlled BOTH houses of Congress when Americans gave Democrats a chance to sponsor whatever legislation they wanted. Where were all the calls we're hearing now for "reparations"?

Go back to the last campaign, how much of an issue was this on the Left compared to now? Another poster in this thread called out their strategy and objective behind this phony issue.

They know Trump is making inroads with minorities and they have nothing better to offer them over more and better paying jobs with a chance to move into the mainstreams of American wealth. So, offer reparations and stir the country up all over the issue of race and slavery which can never be settled or forgotten by Leftists and there you have the reason this is even something we're discussing.

It's a desperate move by the Left to hang onto what Black support they still have chained to their plantations, using race as the chains.

Last edited:
Leftists are outraged over the moral stain of slavery but silent over the moral holocaust of abortion on demand.(particularly of Black children) They complain about the disadvantages left to the decendants of slaves from 150 years ago but they ignore the pathological damage left by their misguided social welfare programs for minorities of the past half century.

Zero credibility.
The whole reparations argument is just an excuse for democrats to fan racial flames. They have seen the numbers showing support for Trump in that demographic.

Sorry.......it's not. Are you saying that Africans were not killed by the thousands each year from the journey over to the treatment on the plantations? Equalling MILLIONS by the time slavery was abolished? I call that an attempt at a genocide, since one race was targeted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT