ADVERTISEMENT

BOWLSBY--ESPN conspired against BIG 12

Good post and agree- dont see how any fan of a BIG 12 school doesnt understand the absolute necessity of this move as well as that its done per the school presidents.

But like most boards I suspect there may be some here without the BIG 12s best at heart.
I think there are a lot of people afraid of ESPN. To piss off that monster. They ignored the Big 12 anyway, the SEC got all their attention what's the difference when it comes to coverage. As far as the Broadcasting there are so many options now. Apple, Amazon, Youtube....

ESPN was trying to screw us over and here you got people arguing with you that is going to hurt West Virginia's chances. I don't think any of the other leagues want to expand, I think the other leagues are furious with the SEC, and I think currently the scam ESPN was trying to pull shows they wanted to significantly undermine all eight of us pushing us down rather than us bringing AAC schools up And they're still arguing with you. Good luck to you. Lol.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what Bowlsby could have done differently. Big XII made a lot of sense in its current iteration. People seem content. I think some schools wanted to add but Texas wouldn't have it and most schools agreed to defer to Texas because they were Texas.

I'm not going to claim he's anything more than an average athletic administrator. It appears that people got careless and just made this too easy for him

IMO, the B12 wasnt a good conference and was doomed to fail. Everyone saw it.

Only 10 teams, only 2 marquee teams. Uncompetitive with the exception of OU.

Concentrated entirely in TX/OK/Kansas....

It was obviously not aligned with the future.

I'm not sure what Bowlsby could have done differently. Big XII made a lot of sense in its current iteration. People seem content. I think some schools wanted to add but Texas wouldn't have it and most schools agreed to defer to Texas because they were Texas.

I'm not going to claim he's anything more than an average athletic administrator. It appears that people got careless and just made this too easy for him
Bowlsby was hamstrung by you guessed it--Oklahoma and especially Texas.

And unfortunately also the network partner(s).

UT blocked expansion twice and the network(s) definitely helped the second time.

UT blocked a conference wide network.

And the network(s) wouldn't do an early negotiation--ESPN knowing what was up with OU/UT/SEC the whole time apparently.

And OU/UT were lying to his face and the rest of the membership at the same time, while sitting in on confidential league decisions and strategies.

Now, he's acting on behalf of league schools because there simply is no other rational choice to be made while trying to stop or at least reduce the tremendous harm tbeing perpetrated on conference schools.

• Love
Reactions: gocats5611
I think there are a lot of people afraid of ESPN. To piss off that monster. They ignored the Big 12 anyway, the SEC got all their attention what's the difference when it comes to coverage. As far as the Broadcasting there are so many options now. Apple, Amazon, Youtube....

ESPN was trying to screw us over and here you got people arguing with you that is going to hurt West Virginia's chances. I don't think any of the other leagues want to expand, I think the other leagues are furious with the SEC, and I think currently the scam ESPN was trying to pull shows they wanted to significantly undermine all eight of us pushing us down rather than us bringing AAC schools up And they're still arguing with you. Good luck to you. Lol.
You nailed it.

You understand president Gee also allowed Bowlsby to speak correct?

You understand he is the president of WVU correct?

So are you claiming you know WVU's situation better than the president of West Virginia University?

Explain how you know what's better for WVU than the president of the university, I'm sure all of Mountaineer Nation would love to hear this.

Bowlsby doesnt need Gee's permission to speak, and a blessing from Gee doesnt mean anything...the knives are out.

Gee probably knew about all this before Bowlsby did....

Reactions: mountaineermaniac34

UT blocked expansion twice and the network(s) definitely helped the second time.

And the network(s) wouldn't do an early negotiation--ESPN knowing what was up with OU/UT/SEC the whole time apparently.

And OU/UT were lying to his face and the rest of the membership at the same time, while sitting in on confidential league decisions and strategies.

Now, he's acting on behalf of league schools because there simply is no other rational choice to be made while trying to stop or at least reduce the tremendous harm tbeing perpetrated on conference schools.

Imagine that...the conference commissioner was hamstrung by the 2 most powerful schools which represent nearly 75% of revenue.....

Geeze..then maybe GENIUS BOB should have known TX wasn't really in it long term...dub

Maybe Bob is really stupid?

So TX keeps doing their own thing, and Bob swallows...then acts surprised when TX does their own thing?

Imagine that...the conference commissioner was hamstrung by the 2 most powerful schools which represent nearly 75% of revenue.....
You're kind of making our argument for us. Those two schools in coordination with the ESPN and at least one other athletic conference just tried to shove a giant dildo up your schools behind. And you're going to defend ESPN and Texas and Oklahoma? Are you even listening to yourself?

You're kind of making our argument for us. Those two schools in coordination with the ESPN and at least one other athletic conference just tried to shove a giant dildo up your schools behind. And you're going to defend ESPN and Texas and Oklahoma? Are you even listening to yourself?

I want the B12 to fall apart so WVU can get a spot in ACC.

Its going to fall to pieces no matter what...TX/OU are gone. There's nothing useful left, so let's crash the car without killing anyone and let everyone get a spot.

Geeze..then maybe GENIUS BOB should have known TX wasn't really in it long term...dub

Maybe Bob is really stupid?

So TX keeps doing their own thing, and Bob swallows...then acts surprised when TX does their own thing?
I think a lot of us assumed that Texas was happy enough owning its own conference. Gave them everything they wanted including outlawing the Whorns down just weeks ago. Nobody could have guessed they would want to go to a different conference where Alabama's going to laugh in their face and LSU's going to slam the door in it.

Last edited:
IMO, the B12 wasnt a good conference and was doomed to fail. Everyone saw it.

Only 10 teams, only 2 marquee teams. Uncompetitive with the exception of OU.

Concentrated entirely in TX/OK/Kansas....

It was obviously not aligned with the future.
It was the best conference top to bottom most years in football and basketball.

TCU and Baylor won the conference year one and were denied playoffs. Last year ISU was more deserving of a playoff spot than Ohio State based on actual accomplishments.

The conference was highly competitive with multiple ranked teams per season despite playing a 9 game round robin and a rematch (while SEC and ACC took an easy 8 game schedule in conference, played multiple G5s and FCS at home and the other two conferences also missed multiple in conference teams for an easier path)

Had third best tv viewership (last year second highest) and was very close on a per team average # viewers compared to the much more populated Big Ten, and far ahead of the ACC and PAC which both have much larger technical footprints but obviously fewer hardcore fans.

Most major conferences only have one marquee school

SEC--Alabama
B10-Ohio State
ACC-Clemson
PAC--umm?

Having TWO wasn't a detriment to the BIG 12 and really, Texas and OU both lost many games over the decade in conference--especially Texas.

Its going to fall to pieces no matter what...TX/OU are gone. There's nothing useful left, so let's crash the car without killing anyone and let everyone get a spot.
What if nobody else wants to expand? (spoiler alert... It seems they don't.... Other then the AAC apparently with ESPN's blessing and promises) If you're cool with the AAC then toodles. Makes any potential expansion west for the rest of us much easier.

But you simply don't know if that will happen now, do you?

Obviously president Gee has a better idea of where WVU stands and what needs to be done to protect WVU going forward.

What if nobody else wants to expand? (spoiler alert... It seems they don't.... Other then the AAC apparently with ESPN's blessing and promises) If you're cool with the AAC then toodles. Makes any potential expansion west for the rest of us much easier.
And no I don't want West Virginia to leave. I just can't figure out where your head is at

Exactly. People get pumped up on social media rumors--many of which are designed to confuse and trick people into believing things that aren't true.

The administration of WVU and the BIG 12 conference have to act based on reality.

I think a lot of us assumed that Texas was happy enough owning its own conference. Gave them everything they wanted including outlawing the Whorns down just weeks ago. Nobody could have guessed they would want to go to a different conference where Alabama's going to laugh in their face and LSU's going to slam the door in their face.

Wrong.

I knew it for a long time.

You were happy cucking for TX, blame yourself for being a gullible mark.

Wrong.

I knew it for a long time.

You were happy cucking for TX, blame yourself for being a gullible mark.
You mean you saw RUMORS that people were trying to lure Texas.

You didn't know they were leaving until everyone else did.

There haven't NOT been rumors of Texas leaving for more than a decade now.

You mean you saw RUMORS that people were trying to lure Texas.

You didn't know they were leaving until everyone else did.

There haven't NOT been rumors of Texas leaving for more than a decade now.

WRONG

I USED MY FVCKING BRAIN AND THOUGHT FOR MYSELF!...

You're allowed to do that, ya know? Think without a link...

Yep...and I bet Gee is trying to get WVU in the ACC.
You bet, but you don't know.

In REALITY, Gee has authorized Bowlsby to counter what is happening. That means in REALITY its the best move at this time for WVU and its conference mates to make.

I'm sure its not their desired situation, but something they are forced into.

Most major conferences only have one marquee school

SEC--Alabama
B10-Ohio State
ACC-Clemson
PAC--umm?

Having TWO wasn't a detriment to the BIG 12 and really, Texas and OU both lost many games over the decade in conference--especially Texas.
The sec has more marquee schools than the big 12 does in football not sure how you came up with this one. Half the sec is blue bloods in football.

Exactly. People get pumped up on social media rumors--many of which are designed to confuse and trick people into believing things that aren't true.

The administration of WVU and the BIG 12 conference have to act based on reality.
I never really considered how much it sucks for West Virginia where you guys are located. Culturally you fit so well with Iowa State and Kansas and Kansas State, Oklahoma State. Yet you are stuck surrounded by much bluer states that you just don't have much in common with.
We were discussing Pac-12 expansion on our boards. People kept saying the Pac-12 was too liberal to take schools like Oklahoma State and K-State and Texas Tech. But really the Pac-12 is so diverse. Arizona and Utah in particular are moderate to conservative. Colorado is pretty conservative outside of Denver

WRONG

I USED MY FVCKING BRAIN AND THOUGHT FOR MYSELF.

You're allowed to do that, ya know? Think without a link...
You were GUESSING. Making it up!

You probably did it every year for 10 straight.

but --it never happened until JUST NOW.

Meanwhile face to face, everyone at Texas was LYING directly to BIG 12 leaders when they discussed all of it and saying it wasn't true.

If Bowlsby reacted to every anti BIG 12 rumor for the last decade it would have been non stop reaction.

You were GUESSING. Making it up!

You probably did it every year for 10 straight.

but --it never happened until JUST NOW.

Meanwhile face to face, everyone at Texas was LYING directly to BIG 12 leaders when they discussed all of it and saying it wasn't true.

If Bowlsby reacted to every anti BIG 12 rumor for the last decade it would have been non stop reaction.

Its called thinking, moron.

People with brains can do it.

The sec has more marquee schools than the big 12 does in football not sure how you came up with this one. Half the sec is blue bloods in football.
Alabama

Then an occasional LSU pops up. Just like an occasional Baylor/TCU pops up in the BIG 12.

WVU beat Georgia--SEC champs last time they played.

Florida and Tennessee have been bad for awhile (far worse than UT. WVU crushed Tennessee last time they played.

Auburn--been very average outside 1 year with Cam Newton. WVU split with them last two times.

But no, its really been a very dominant ALABAMA that has carried that conference moreso than OU carried the BIG 12. They just have more schools with state names, that's about it. Doesn't mean they actually accomplished anything on the field of any importance or all had great records. They also play only 8 conference games and most play 2 or 3 fcs/G5s at home every year too--including late in the season.

Last edited:
You bet, but you don't know.

In REALITY, Gee has authorized Bowlsby to counter what is happening. That means in REALITY its the best move at this time for WVU and its conference mates to make.

I'm sure its not their desired situation, but something they are forced into.

I dont think Gee authorized anything...

Bowlsby doesnt need a vote, if thats what you're implying.

Its called thinking, moron.

People with brains can do it.
You don't think you play make believe.

Thinking people understand that harm is being done to the BIG 12 and the ONLY thing that can be done is respond to it--not play make believe WVU was on its way somewhere else to distract people from the TRUTH of the matter.

I dont think Gee authorized anything...

Bowlsby doesnt need a vote, if thats what you're implying.
Here it is again. I see that one of your problems is you don't READ (from CBS report on previous page):

"Bowlsby only sent that letter with presidential support, which means this will end up bonding the eight schools remaining in the Big 12."

You also apparently don't understand how a conference works.

Here it is again. I see that one of your problems is you don't READ (from CBS report on previous page):

"Bowlsby only sent that letter with presidential support, which means this will end up bonding the eight schools remaining in the Big 12."

You also apparently don't understand how a conference works.

Doesnt mean anything..he didn't object. Who cares.

Do you have an actual job?

Doesnt mean anything..he didn't object. Who cares.

Do you have an actual job?
Means everything. Means they AGREE with it being sent and felt it was necessary and directed him to do it on their behalf.

Starting to think you are a paid shill for someone else. Facts matter.

You don't think you play make believe.

Thinking people understand that harm is being done to the BIG 12 and the ONLY thing that can be done is respond to it--not play make believe WVU was on its way somewhere else to distract people from the TRUTH of the matter.

Im not a B12 bootlicker.

Texas and Oklahoma are leaving. WVU need to do the same.

If we stay in the conference we are stuck in a mid-major. That's bad for WVU.

WVU shouldnt be in a mid-major conference.

Time to get out.

Alabama

Then an occasional LSU pops up. Just like an occasional Baylor/TCU pops up in the BIG 12.

WVU beat Georgia--SEC champs last time they played.

Florida and Tennessee have been bad for awhile (far worse than UT. WVU crushed Tennessee last time they played.

Auburn--been very average outside 1 year with Cam Newton. WVU split with them last two times.

But no, its really been a very dominant ALABAMA that has carried that conference moreso than OU carried the BIG 12.
When was the last time Texas did anything? The sec is a far superior conference than the Big 12 is in football. Four different sec teams have won a national championship in football since the last big 12 team won one. When was the last time a big 12 team even played for a national championship in football.

Means everything. Means they AGREE with it being sent and felt it was necessary and directed him to do it on their behalf.

No.

It just means that's what is happening now.

Everyone is onboard...until they aren't.

If you havent learned that by now, you never will.

Dann if ESPN wants to pay me to shill, hook me up

How intellectually defunct do you need to be to still believe a university AD/Pres public statements?

No.

It just means that's what is happening now.

Everyone is onboard...until they aren't.

If you havent learned that by now, you never will.
Since the future is quite a bit unknown right now for all of them, they can't react to the future although some probably try to guess, but yes, they have to deal with the HERE and NOW.

Here and NOW their value is being assaulted, their power status is being challenged and they are being harmed in real time and every single one is in the BIG 12 conference still with no invites (except apparently from a lower level conference that was offered increases if they helped someone rip up the conference so buyout fees/GORs and contracts don't have to be paid.

Not sure what you don't understand about this. Its pretty black and white.

The conference is doing what it must in the face of a direct assault that jeopardizes its existence and millions upon millions of $ owed to it.

Since the future is quite a bit unknown right now for all of them, they can't react to the future although some probably try to guess, but yes, they have to deal with the HERE and NOW.

Here and NOW their value is being assaulted, their power status is being challenged and they are being harmed in real time and every single one is in the BIG 12 conference still with no invites (except apparently from a lower level conference that was offered increases if they helped someone rip up the conference so buyout fees/GORs and contracts don't have to be paid.

Not sure what you don't understand about this. Its pretty black and white.

The conference is doing what it must in the face of a direct assault that jeopardizes its existence and millions upon millions of $ owed to it.

I dont care whats important to the conference. I care about wvu.

What's best for WVU is to leave.

When was the last time Texas did anything? The sec is a far superior conference than the Big 12 is in football. Four different sec teams have won a national championship in football since the last big 12 team won one. When was the last time a big 12 team even played for a national championship in football.
Believe Texas beat Georgia last time they played them in a bowl--very recently.

Alabama has carried the SEC while most of the schools in that league accomplish next to nothing.

Its hard not to win championships when you play a lighter schedule and skip out on playing several teams in your conference every year. And are guaranteed high seeds no matter what.

The BIG 12 by the nature of its tougher schedule guaranteed a tougher path to the playoffs and championships--and the powers that be blocked BIG 12 schools from championship play in the BCS era and playoff era through no fault of their own. ESPN obviously wants an SEC team in EVERY year--helps them sell the SECn and season game advertising afterall.

I dont care whats important to the conference. I care about wvu.

What's best for WVU is to leave.
Hmm. The university apparently doesn't agree with you at this point in time......

And last I checked there is no other destination--unless your one of the "AAC would be a great destination" posers--err posters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT