ADVERTISEMENT

BOWLSBY--ESPN conspired against BIG 12

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001

Big 12 commissioner alleges ESPN conspired with SEC, American to lure teams from conference​

excerpt:

He added: "I have every expectation that Oklahoma and Texas will do whatever they can to not meet their [contractual] obligations. That's what they've done so far. ... One of the ways the two schools and ESPN will seek to absolve themselves of the obligation is to destabilize the league and cause an implosion of the other eight members.

"I am absolutely certain ESPN employees have discussed and provided incentives for at least one conference to raid 3-5 members from the Big 12. In doing so, they are prepared to reward them with future television proceeds. If the conference goes away as an entity, Oklahoma and Texas could be relieved from their exit obligations. Those obligations at this time would include the payment of $70M to $80M -- two years full revenue -- per school and leaving their media rights with the Big 12.

"We're just not going to sit still and let somebody who is supposed to be our partner collaborate and disrupt our business. I know with certainty they are doing it relative to one conference. I suspect they have done the same thing in moving Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC."

Last edited:
ESPN destroyed the Big East…WVU 3 BCS wins vs. SEC, B12 and ACC…embarrassing for Herbie, Lee, et al. ACC won virtually nothing since 2000 or so and its contenders Miami and VT had come from its machinations to destroy the Big East. TCU had joined, basketball conglomeration was stronger than ever. Time to terminate before new contract.

Why stop now?

MORE....

REPORTS: Big 12 sends cease and desist letter to ESPN​

https://www.stwnewspress.com/sports...cle_1476d1aa-efee-11eb-81df-d7b02bedad7a.html

According to a report by Ryan Black of the Manhattan (Kansas) Mercury, he cited sources that said “the letter is based on evidence the Big 12 gathered that ESPN executives orchestrated the shakeup of the Big 12.” His report claims the letter included ESPN had “the intention of dissolving the league entirely.”

Oklahoma State alumnus Brett McMurphy of Stadium reported sources who had similar sentiments about the situation.

McMurphy tweeted out his source claims ESPN "contacted other conferences 'encouraging' them to take Big 12 schools to Big 12 dissolves, eliminating grant of rights." Per McMurphy, if the the league does dissolve, ESPN would not be responsible for the final four years of the media rights deal that is worth $1.06 billion.

The Big 12 appears to believe they have the evident to back up its claim, as well.

In a statement to the Associated Press, Big 12 Conference commissioner Bob Bowlsby stated, "I have absolute certainty they (ESPN) have been involved in manipulating other conferences to go after our members."

More:

Big 12 sends ESPN a cease-and-desist, says ESPN’s been talking with at least one conference beyond SEC on adding Big 12 members​

Ross Dellenger

@RossDellenger

·
1h

@SINow
has obtained the cease and desist letter that the Big 12 sent to ESPN. In it, commissioner Bob Bowlsby says that ESPN has reached out to at least one of the eight remaining Big 12 members in an attempt to convince the school to leave in wake of the Texas and OU exit.

Ross Dellenger

@RossDellenger

·
45m

Re: my last retweet of
@ralphDrussoAP
... Big 12 source to
@SInow
: "You think that you've seen it all. You can’t make this shit up. ESPN is trying to cause chaos and panic. They want the Big 12 to dissolve for financial gain. But time is on our side."

USA TODAY Sports

Big 12 sends ESPN cease and desist letter in latest college conference expansion drama​

Paul Myerberg, USA TODAY
Wed, July 28, 2021, 7:09 PM

Excerpt:

"This is putting ESPN on notice that (the Big 12) may sue ESPN at some point in the future if Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big 12 before the grant of rights expires," said Mit Winter, a lawyer who has served as outside counsel to college athletic conferences.

"Threatening to sue ESPN is going to sour the relationship between the Big 12 and ESPN if the Big 12 continues to exist. I assume ESPN is not going to be happy about receiving that kind of letter.”

This will likely ultimately comes down to “how much the Big 12 is willing to settle or whether it’s going to draw a line in the sand," Winter said. "There are some issues with suing UT or OU because of sovereign immunity. It’s hard to sue a state entity.”

The letter reflects the new reality for the conference, which is set to lose its two national brands. The only paths at hand for the Big 12 are to maintain an eight-team roster or expand, with both options requiring that potential expansion fodder such as Kansas and West Virginia remain members of the conference rather than join the Big Ten or ACC."

Of course--ESPN already REJECTED the BIG 12s bid to expand, to have a conference network and to renegotiate early sooo, its not like they were going to negotiate in good faith at any point in time with the BIG 12.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
You know ESPN reached out to ACC and BIG to take teams to dissolve the conference. That’s 2000 and late news LOL.
I heard some rumblings that this could shake out extremely quick as ESPN will re-negotiate contracts with new teams. ThEY want this done ASAP.

You know ESPN reached out to ACC and BIG to take teams to dissolve the conference. That’s 2000 and late news LOL.
I heard some rumblings that this could shake out extremely quick as ESPN will re-negotiate contracts with new teams. ThEY want this done ASAP.
What do you mean--can you elaborate on this statement:

"ESPN will re-negotiate contracts with new teams. ThEY want this done ASAP."

What do you mean--can you elaborate on this statement:

"ESPN will re-negotiate contracts with new teams. ThEY want this done ASAP."
ESPN wants and needs the BIG12 to dissolve ASAP and get out of the TV contract and have Texas .

Nothing is stopping ACC and ESPN to have preliminary talks to renegotiate their deal. Bringin in WVU doesn’t move the needle one way or the other, however if “ACC reaches out to ESPN and asks if they were to add a team or two can we renegotiate”
In other words ESPN wants OU a UT in SEC ASAP and to do this they need the BIg 12 to dissolve which means they have probably reached out to ACC and BIG (who
Isn’t happy about this realignment BTW) and said offer these schools and we will renegotiate our deal.

Good news for ACC if true. More teams make more money.

Reactions: quinnjj
ESPN wants and needs the BIG12 to dissolve ASAP and get out of the TV contract and have Texas .

Nothing is stopping ACC and ESPN to have preliminary talks to renegotiate their deal. Bringin in WVU doesn’t move the needle one way or the other, however if “ACC reaches out to ESPN and asks if they were to add a team or two can we renegotiate”
In other words ESPN wants OU a UT in SEC ASAP and to do this they need the BIg 12 to dissolve which means they have probably reached out to ACC and BIG (who
Isn’t happy about this realignment BTW) and said offer these schools and we will renegotiate our deal.

Good news for ACC if true. More teams make more money.
Yes, undoubtedly they have done that.

They not only don't want OU/UT to have to pay buyouts --they don't want to pay the BIG 12 for OU/UT GOR rights or pay the BIG 12 the four remaining years of the BIG 12 contract.

Will be interesting to see the BIG 12 present the evidence they have. Also have to wonder what happens next--clearly ESPN isn't going to honor BIG 12 contracts and that is going to be a $h!t storm--wonder what other networks may do in the face of this? Likely outcome could be the BIG 12 ending their rights early with ESPN if they try to reduce payouts perhaps? Good if others are interested, not so much if not.

But as Bowlsby said they can't sit back and watch someone that's supposed to be a partner destroy the conference.

I think this pretty muck nukes the WVU to ACC talk.
Why? I think I put it in hyperdrive. you have the cancer of college football, ESPN, who destroyed the Big East, contacting other conferences and pushing them to invite big 12 members, especially conferences that have Horrible contracts (ACC) It’s literally the best thing that we could have going for us. We don’t move the needle financially, but a new deal would.

A legal opinion on the matter--interesting points:

I was asked to provide a simple opinion and explanation of the implications derived from the cease and desist letter sent by the Big 12 Conference to ESPN (the “CD” hereinafter).

Being an attorney, I have penned these letters as a common component of a legal strategy involving litigation as the ultimate outcome. It is a step aimed at freezing further harmful action, galvanizing positions for potential settlement negotiations, and satisfying notice requirements that may be required as a prerequisite for the filing of a lawsuit.

The substance of the CD indicates that the Big 12 has evidence that ESPN has, with intent, acted in a manner consistent with harming (it is safe to say seeking the dissolution of) the Big 12 Conference and that ESPN has sought to induce a further breach of certain contracts by conferences other than the SEC. In addition, the CD indicates that the Big 12 believes it will be able to establish that ESPN was involved in inducing the actions of Texas and Oklahoma in seeking to leave the Big 12 prior to the expiration of their current contractual obligations.

The Big 12 specifically references the violated clauses of the contract which would support a claim based on breach of contract. In the alternative, or more likely, in the primary, the Big 12 is positioning a suit based on tortious interference with contract (intentional interference with contractual relations) for which a calculation of damages would include not only contractual damages calculated by the contract value itself but may also (though not certainly) include damages derived from the tortious act including opportunity costs and potential derivative damages incurred by the Big 12 and its member institutions.

To succeed in a claim for tortious interference a claimant must prove four elements: 1) that a valid contract existed; 2) that a defendant had knowledge of the contract; 3) that a defendant acted intentionally and improperly; 4) that the plaintiff was injured by the defendant’s actions. United Truck Leasing Corp. v. Geltman, 406 Mass. 811, 812, 551 N.E. 2d 20 n. 6 (Mass. 1990).

The effect of the letter should be to freeze all current behind-the-scenes discussions between ESPN and institutions and conferences regarding realignment and potential telecast contractual rights and values. I believe both the Big 12 and the member institutions have legal redress in a suit of this nature against ESPN, the offending institutions, and possibly the SEC. Though public statements have been carefully worded to avoid providing “smoking gun” evidence, the CD indicates that there is an active search for evidence that would lend itself to a case based on breach of contract and tortious interference.

The expected outcome in many similarly situated legal claims is that the parties now enter into negotiations to determine if a suitable financial outcome can be reached for both the aggrieved party and the bad actor. However, should the bad actor continue to act in an injurious manner, then litigation will likely be initiated which would include a claim for immediate issuance of an injunction against any of the alleged behavior pending the outcome of the underlying case.

I would expect any lawsuit where the parties are unwilling to settle to take in the range of 3 to 4 years to conclude with the certainty of appeals to the highest level thereafter. The implication is a freezing effect on new telecast contracts and conference realignment with all current agreements being extended by necessity via court order pending the outcome of the case.

The alleged actions and indication in the CD that evidence of actionable behavior has already been gathered give substance to posturing and leverage to the Big 12. The purpose of the strategy and the use of the leverage is pure speculation, but one can safely derive that the Big 12 has a case and that we, as fans, face a future where the governing body of collegiate athletics wear robes instead of logoed visors.

This is similar how ESPN owned the meatball if you remember.

Meatball showed up at the big east media today strutting his stuff because of how good the basketball conference was and how he was going to re-negotiate the deal, and he felt like he was going to raid the big 12 North. Or promised them a soft landing spot LOL

ESPN went to the ACC offered money to take teams and the rest is history. The entire time meatball thought ESPN was cooking up a massive offer.

Reactions: Darth_VadEER
In another topic, what’s up with his signature? I’m not sure I want to be in a conference And have leadership with a guy that writes his name like that

Why? I think I put it in hyperdrive. you have the cancer of college football, ESPN, who destroyed the Big East, contacting other conferences and pushing them to invite big 12 members, especially conferences that have Horrible contracts (ACC) It’s literally the best thing that we could have going for us. We don’t move the needle financially, but a new deal would.
Why? More than a billion $ owed to remaining members as well as the future status of these schools and the billions they've spent maintaining their status as major college sports depts and universities.

There is obviously a concerted effort ongoing to declare schools that have maintained the third highest tv ratings in the toughest top to bottom conference were really only two schools and the rest have no worth--a completely false narrative. Hurts the future of the conference whatever that may be and the schools in it probably permanently and takes their built up established value to steal and deposit it for the benefit of another conference and a network that is supposed to be a partner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tnmounty

Big 12 commissioner alleges ESPN conspired with SEC, American to lure teams from conference​

excerpt:

He added: "I have every expectation that Oklahoma and Texas will do whatever they can to not meet their [contractual] obligations. That's what they've done so far. ... One of the ways the two schools and ESPN will seek to absolve themselves of the obligation is to destabilize the league and cause an implosion of the other eight members.

"I am absolutely certain ESPN employees have discussed and provided incentives for at least one conference to raid 3-5 members from the Big 12. In doing so, they are prepared to reward them with future television proceeds. If the conference goes away as an entity, Oklahoma and Texas could be relieved from their exit obligations. Those obligations at this time would include the payment of $70M to $80M -- two years full revenue -- per school and leaving their media rights with the Big 12.

"We're just not going to sit still and let somebody who is supposed to be our partner collaborate and disrupt our business. I know with certainty they are doing it relative to one conference. I suspect they have done the same thing in moving Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC."

Exactly what we've been telling you.

Ralph D. Russo

@ralphDrussoAP

Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby to AP: “I have absolute certainty they (ESPN) have been involved in manipulating other conferences to go after our members.” The Big 12 has sent a cease-and-desist letter to ESPN, as first reported by
@PeteThamel

6:19 PM · Jul 28, 2021·TweetDeck

Retweets

Quote Tweets

Ralph D. Russo

@ralphDrussoAP

·
1h

Replying to
@ralphDrussoAP
and
@PeteThamel
Bowlsby told AP Texas and Oklahoma have been working on this for months while taking part in Big 12 strategy meetings where proprietary information was being shared. "This whole thing has been a complete articulation of deception," Bowlsby said.

Reactions: gocats5611
Yes, undoubtedly they have done that.

They not only don't want OU/UT to have to pay buyouts --they don't want to pay the BIG 12 for OU/UT GOR rights or pay the BIG 12 the four remaining years of the BIG 12 contract.

Will be interesting to see the BIG 12 present the evidence they have. Also have to wonder what happens next--clearly ESPN isn't going to honor BIG 12 contracts and that is going to be a $h!t storm--wonder what other networks may do in the face of this? Likely outcome could be the BIG 12 ending their rights early with ESPN if they try to reduce payouts perhaps? Good if others are interested, not so much if not.

But as Bowlsby said they can't sit back and watch someone that's supposed to be a partner destroy the conference.

Well when the members of the conference are fine with it, who really cares?

Well when the members of the conference are fine with it, who really cares?
Bowlsby represents the conference members so they apparently really care.

They and hundreds of thousands of their boosters and supporters and the millions that rooted for and watched their events probably?

And the states that helped build these universities and their athletics?

Well according to him, the members are all in on it...so which is it?

He doesn't speak for TX/OU and according to him....3-5 other universities.
Not at all what he said--he said ESPN sent another conference (at least) to try to poach 3-5 BIG 12 universities, not that they reciprocated in any way. Also said they promised to boost that conferences revenues if they worked with ESPN to get the BIG 12 dissolved.

Pretty serious legally, also says there is evidence to prove that this happened.

Last edited:
Oh i think they did, or they are complete idiots...
They are idiots for not allowing themselves to be robbed blind?

Who would do that?

The BIG 12 is a POWER conference and one of the best, why would anyone consider joining a G5 conference? If anything they'll poach some teams from that level (assuming schools don't just move on after their agreements are finished.)

Plus, OU and UT were attending BIG 12 strategy meetings and obviously taking that strategy to others with intent to harm existing schools. Who would just sit back and do nothing with that knowledge?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: gocats5611

Who would do that?

The BIG 12 is a POWER conference and one of the best, why would anyone consider joining a G5 conference? If anything they'll poach some teams from that level (assuming schools don't just move on after their agreements are finished.)

Plus, OU and UT were attending BIG 12 strategy meetings and obviously taking that strategy to harm existing schools. Who would just sit back and do nothing with that knowledge.

Lol, everyone is positioning themselves for a spot in SEC/B1G/ACC/PAC.....

Its unbelievable how naive you are....

That group are the leftovers who dont find a landing spot.

Lol, everyone is positioning themselves for a spot in SEC/B1G/ACC/PAC.....

Its unbelievable how naive you are....

That group are the leftovers who dont find a landing spot.
From your ranting its clear you have some personal connection or involvement here.

Its naive to think that schools and a conference severely harmed by such actions won't do something about it.

This isn't Marinatto here and the BIG 12s hand has been forced.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next several years.

The idea is to create a second or even a third conference that is better than the B1G

SEC
ACC
AAC
SunBelt

We have some other schools like Coastal Carolina, ULL, Georgia State, App State and a few others

Place all of this under ESPN

From your ranting its clear you have some personal connection or involvement here.

Its naive to think that schools and a conference severely harmed by such actions won't do something about it.

This isn't Marinatto here and the BIG 12s hand has been forced.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next several years.

I expect the conference to do something, but they might only be representing a few schools.

Who would do that?

Plus, OU and UT were attending BIG 12 strategy meetings and obviously taking that strategy to harm existing schools. Who would just sit back and do nothing with that knowledge.
You’re not looking at it from the ESPN point of view. ESPN really needs this thing to happen pretty quick, the only thing it’s slowing it down is the eight members in the conference. You need 7/10 teams to bail for this to be over with.

Actually ESPN persuading for the leftovers is the best thing that could happen to us and the other teams.

Iowa St and Kansas is BIG 10 bound. 6-10 Left over.

OK St, Baylor, TTU gone to Pac 12 3-10 left over and the conference dissolves.

Hopefully PAC 12 doesn’t want a TTU/or Baylor 4-10 would be in our favor

WVU to ACC

You have us, Kansas St and TCU.

Understand immediately will not make as much money from here on out. Let’s say for the sake of argument it does last till 2025, which is extremely unlikely, and 2026 wvu won’t make as much money.

Out of the remaining eight members, WVU leaving first would put more pressure on everyone else. We don’t have to leave tomorrow, or we have to state is it we’re not renewing after 2025 either. I think this was to happen, it would kick big 10 impact wilI think this was to happen, it would kick big 10/Pac 12 in over drive.

The ACC can get the 16 teams without Notre Dame they need to but having that 15th team committed would help

ESPN wants WVU in the AAC

They have a cheap contract with them and their idea is to create intrigue in the conference and make a nice profit over it.

There are some decent teams but not enough to flex on the B1G yet
Maybe the Pac 12

I expect the conference to do something, but they might only be representing a few schools.
The commissioner represents the entire conference, if not we'd hear so.

It appears that serious legal issues have been breached so there really is no choice, again the BIG 12 is not the Big East and Bowlsby isn't Marinatto--their hand was forced and this appears very serious with serious implications going forward.

Besides with all the anti BIG 12 actions taken the last several years including letting it be known that the BIG 12s rights are of no interest and also multiple "reports" disparaging the value of EVERY remaining BIG 12 member--really what's left to threaten. They've made their position clear towards all these schools---suggesting that a G5 conference should poach them on top of it? Offering them additional money so that fees and rights don't have to be paid and a conference could be dissolved? Schools permanently devalued?

There is no option but to respond as forcefully as possible and that's where we are.

Reactions: Butler-eer
Stupid
1) FOX is at fault as well
2) ESPN wants nothing to do with them now

Big 12 has a contract with FOX
AAC doesn’t. So of course ESPN wants to push some of the schools into their conference
Basic business.

You’re not looking at it from the ESPN point of view. ESPN really needs this thing to happen pretty quick, the only thing it’s slowing it down is the eight members in the conference. You need 7/10 teams to bail for this to be over with.

Actually ESPN persuading for the leftovers is the best thing that could happen to us and the other teams.

Iowa St and Kansas is BIG 10 bound. 6-10 Left over.

OK St, Baylor, TTU gone to Pac 12 3-10 left over and the conference dissolves.

Hopefully PAC 12 doesn’t want a TTU/or Baylor 4-10 would be in our favor

WVU to ACC

You have us, Kansas St and TCU.

Understand immediately will not make as much money from here on out. Let’s say for the sake of argument it does last till 2025, which is extremely unlikely, and 2026 wvu won’t make as much money.

Out of the remaining eight members, WVU leaving first would put more pressure on everyone else. We don’t have to leave tomorrow, or we have to state is it we’re not renewing after 2025 either. I think this was to happen, it would kick big 10 impact wilI think this was to happen, it would kick big 10/Pac 12 in over drive.

The ACC can get the 16 teams without Notre Dame they need to but having that 15th team committed would help
Well I suppose ESPN should act LEGALLY instead of trying to destroy multiple schools and a conference and get out of paying contracted fees and arrange all of college sports as they decide for their enrichment.

Obviously if the family of networks had behaved differently then the BIG 12 schools would have NO NEED of moving somewhere else now would they? They should be thriving in the BIG 12 but actions by others have apparently intentionally kept that from happening.

But the BIG 12 didn't set this in motion and from what we know so far there simply is no option but to act in the face of what has happened, so they are.

You can blame OU and UGA for suing the NCAA 40 years ago
We are beyond that point

schools want to compete.
To compete they need money and that money comes from media companies

So around 2003-2004 when the idea of conference networks came around
B1G and the SEC created this new era we are in. Ever since then they have been consolidating power
WVU has been chasing….
Pretty much going from one dead conference to the next

ACC is a dead conference. Don’t know why anyone will say anything different

From how everything looks the AAC may not be a dead conference
Looks like the conference that will be used to attack the B1G. Meaning that if these AAC schools are beating B1G schools it is obvious that the conference is no where close to the SEC

not too hard to see the correct choice for the school/athletic department

Stupid
1) FOX is at fault as well
2) ESPN wants nothing to do with them now

Big 12 has a contract with FOX
AAC doesn’t. So of course ESPN wants to push some of the schools into their conference
Basic business.
Also basic business to sue when you feel tortious interference is in play and the value you've built up is being threatened along with the entire business.

You can blame OU and UGA for suing the NCAA 40 years ago
We are beyond that point

schools want to compete.
To compete they need money and that money comes from media companies

So around 2003-2004 when the idea of conference networks came aroundt
B1G and the SEC created this new era we are in. Ever since then they have been consolidating power
WVU has been chasing….
And yet--there is right and there is wrong.

Somehow that gets thrown out when someone is trying to enrich just themselves and doesn't care who they harm to maintain power.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT