ADVERTISEMENT

Young secondary needs profession help!

Woodie

All-Conference
May 29, 2001
Winchester, VA
. We sure made Tyler Murray look like a shoo in for the Heisman (of course doing this to us probably won't have much influence on the Heisman committee) I realize the secondary is very young but was hoping they could be coached up. I know OU is loaded at both QB and receivers but for whatever the reason the odor of our performance could be smelled back in WV. I would like to see us hire a professional to come in for a few weeks and teach the DB's the correct basics to pass defense Need this now if they are going to stick around for a few more years. Not going to cut the offense any slack. Second game in a row with no td's in 2nd half. Everything was pure vanilla today and I am starting to wonder about Brown's play calling (not the only one I'm sure). Might go out and look for a Lincoln Riley clone. Just frustrated like most folks!!!

. We sure made Tyler Murray look like a shoo in for the Heisman (of course doing this to us probably won't have much influence on the Heisman committee) I realize the secondary is very young but was hoping they could be coached up. I know OU is loaded at both QB and receivers but for whatever the reason the odor of our performance could be smelled back in WV. I would like to see us hire a professional to come in for a few weeks and teach the DB's the correct basics to pass defense Need this now if they are going to stick around for a few more years. Not going to cut the offense any slack. Second game in a row with no td's in 2nd half. Everything was pure vanilla today and I am starting to wonder about Brown's play calling (not the only one I'm sure). Might go out and look for a Lincoln Riley clone. Just frustrated like most folks!!!

So we're playing true freshmen and walk ons against one of the most powerful offenses in the country, one that has had the Heisman winner playing QB for them the last two years and might have a 3rd straight this year, and you think our problem is we need a professional to teach our DBs the basics of pass defense?

Reactions: OlegeezEER
I think we pay a coach millions a year to provide professional help to the entire team.

You read pretty good but can't read between the lines! I am glad you think they don't need any coaching up and they will be much better without it and everything will be hunky dory next year. I think they played as well as they were coached and something is amiss there.

Tyler Murray last I checked he was in Arizona.

Reactions: Euell
You read pretty good but can't read between the lines! I am glad you think they don't need any coaching up and they will be much better without it and everything will be hunky dory next year. I think they played as well as they were coached and something is amiss there.
Well Wvu isn't a Blueblood. When a program like WVU is playing a bunch of Freshman things usually don't go your way especially when you are playing one of the elite teams in the country.

BTW outside of the Texas game when has Jalen Hurd not looked like a Heisman candidate?

Yep. many are frustrated, but most refrain from preceding that declaration with nonsensical evaluations rather than gather, accept, and utilize the facts that we are a squad of young, inexperienced kids playing well above our pay grade while trying to gain experience to benefit us in the years to come. I think it fair to say to our ;friends; in the Big XII--"Get us now when you can because we are building for the future (not many years down the road) when we will not be an easy mark".

We were using walk on players at one point.

Lost me at Tyler Murray.

Lost me at Tyler Murray.
My bad on Tyler Murray. Point is if you not learning the right techniques doesn’t, matter how young or what year you are. I’m sorry if l am the only that thinks the problem may go beyond being young. I hate to have to wait possibly a couple of years to find out.

My bad on Tyler Murray. Point is if you not learning the right techniques doesn’t, matter how young or what year you are. I’m sorry if l am the only that thinks the problem may go beyond being young. I hate to have to wait possibly a couple of years to find out.
Dude, Neal Brown is very attentive to details and he has been around to observe practices at many programs, including Alabama. I doubt he is lost on what good technique looks like. You need to sit back and take a chill pill. Program building doesn't happen overnight. The staff hasn't even been here a year yet.

Kenneth Murray is the best defensive player in the Big 12 and it’s not even close. The Big 12 Preseason Defensive Player of the Year led the Sooners with 155 tackles, including 28 in one game against Army, last season. In his first game of the season against the Houston Cougars, Murray had 14 tackles, 4 for a loss and 1 sack.

The 6’2 242 pound Junior from Missouri City, Texas, only ever wanted to play for the West Virginia Mountaineers.

“That’s pretty much all I knew,” Murray said of West Virginia football.

Murray’s uncle, Lind Murray, played Defensive Back for the Mountaineers in the early 1980s and Kenneth grew up loving the team. Holgorsen didn't want Murray.

Murray took an unofficial visit to Morgantown and attended camps there but was not offered a scholarship and was not recruited anymore by Holgorsen and staff.

Dana Holgorsen, the very coach that didn’t recruit the top high school player in state of West Virginia in the past decade, Darnell Wright, also passed on recruiting the best defensive player in the conference as well.

While the former Head Coach complained about not being able to recruit players to West Virginia and not beat Oklahoma, he did not try to get the top recruit in the state and gave up the best player in the conference to the Sooners. Watching his team get rolled by Oklahoma in the season opener, you have to wonder if Holgorsen watched Murray’s brilliant game and wondered what could have been.

Kenneth Murray was not recruited by WVU.

https://mountaineersports.com/kenneth-murray-was-not-recruited-by-wvu/

Yeah good for Tyler Murray. The first Arizona Cardinal to win the heisman Wvu where the fans dont even know what it is they're bitching about. In a 2-3 years when this team is heading towards a national contender, just make sure you all spend your time following tyler murray instead

Yeah good for Tyler Murray. The first Arizona Cardinal to win the heisman Wvu where the fans dont even know what it is they're bitching about. In a 2-3 years when this team is heading towards a national contender, just make sure you all spend your time following tyler murray instead

Boy, folks are really getting their kicks on my BAD on Murray (can now understand why people join the other board) but why are we giving up on this year. Sounds like a 3 win season is acceptable because we have young players. Couple of possible wins out there but not the way the offense and defense has been playing. A pure Vanilla offense from what I could see and even OU used some razzle dazzle. Two straight games with no TD's in second half. Sounds like Dana. I am all for the new coaches. Just can't wait "2-3 years when this team is heading for a national title. Sarcasm returned.

WVU on saturday with 4 freshmen in the secondary, the FIRST team in America that oklahoma scored some points on. Let's all hang our heads in shame. Disgraceful. You just watch now, oklahoma is gonna like win Heismans and go to the playoff and score a bunch of points and put players in the nfl or something and all because of us yesterday. Embarrassing effort

WVU on saturday with 4 freshmen in the secondary, the FIRST team in America that oklahoma scored some points on. Let's all hang our heads in shame. Disgraceful. You just watch now, oklahoma is gonna like win Heismans and go to the playoff and score a bunch of points and put players in the nfl or something and all because of us yesterday. Embarrassing effort
Yes you are embarrassing! Riding the young pony excuse to death, I'm sorry but I doubt putting 5 decent H.S players back there would have been as bad as what was shown yesterday? Couple of players traded position (this had nothing to do with youth). May be if we were playing zone, man to man might have been better or vice versa. May be we were rushing to many leaving the secondary out to dry. Please don't reply with the same BS. There was absolutely no excuse for that performance on either side of the ball! There is no doubt that their QB is the best we will see, but anyone who has followed WVU football knows we can make any QB look good. From the coaches to the players yesterday's performance totally unacceptable as well as your trite replys.

Yes you are embarrassing! Riding the young pony excuse to death, I'm sorry but I doubt putting 5 decent H.S players back there would have been as bad as what was shown yesterday? Couple of players traded position (this had nothing to do with youth). May be if we were playing zone, man to man might have been better or vice versa. May be we were rushing to many leaving the secondary out to dry. Please don't reply with the same BS. There was absolutely no excuse for that performance on either side of the ball! There is no doubt that their QB is the best we will see, but anyone who has followed WVU football knows we can make any QB look good. From the coaches to the players yesterday's performance totally unacceptable as well as your trite replys.
Yes, that Tyler Murray is quite the QB. Almost as good as their QB last season, Kyler Murray, and almost as good as Jalen Hurts.

I heard somewhere that some of our young secondary were looking at football as a profession, and some looking at coaching, others had other ideas in mind after graduation. Either way, most young players in most secondaries need help with their professions at some point, you typically aren't just born and poof you're a professional accountant

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT