ADVERTISEMENT

Wvu's Shortcomings Since the End Of 2007 on Full Display Last Night

Or maybe Rod playing a non Big XII schedule saved him from a lot of toe stubs from 05-07, and even playing a Big East schedule he still managed the USF x2 and Pitt losses.
Rod didn't pick the schedule. He played what was in front of him. The teams he assembled beat a Sec champion and crushed the Big 12 champion. They proved their worth at final exam time.

Hi integrity individual, isn't he? No wonder the fake fans want him. Peas in a pod with a huge lack of character

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Rod didn't pick the schedule. He played what was in front of him. The teams he assembled beat a Sec champion and crushed the Big 12 champion. They proved their worth at final exam time.
Neither did Holgorsen then, you don’t think the Grier team wouldn’t have also ran over the schedule Rod faced? Big difference between playing against Mike Teel rather than Baker Mayfield/Kyler Murray.

Neither did Holgorsen then, you don’t think the Grier team wouldn’t have also ran over the schedule Rod faced? Big difference between playing against Mike Teel rather than Baker Mayfield/Kyler Murray.
No I don’t think the Grier team would’ve run over the schedule Rod had.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
Dickhead was ahead of the time as an OC and it was a great hire for WVU. Loved him as our coach. He was very fortunate to have players develop into being great and he used that to try to capitalize for himself immediately after a very poorly coached game. He turned his back on the University and team for selfish reasons at our lowest moment. At the same time, defenses have figured out his offensive scheme and has exposed his lack of ability to adjust to the talent on his team and he isn't a great coach. Still good but not great. Doesn't matter, his selfish actions has exposed his lack of hard working and high integrity the coach of WVU needs. Holgerson was similar and we don't need any more coaches like them when it is time for a new coach.

Fans need to move on and support this team. If we lose Brown whether it is him leaving or somehow he gets bought out, let's at least get a guy with integrity and not a hasbeen.
Spoken like a true butthurt wuss. Those kids who play their asses off on the field, you're totally fine with them having a crappy coach so your feelings don't get hurt again. It's stupid, and you call everyone who disagrees and wants the best for WVU fake fans when you are the kind of fan who would throw an entire program under the bus to suit your hurt feelings and weak mindset. Rich Rod broke you. You don't even want a good coach because a big school might come knocking, and God forbid they take a better job for twice the money. The brokeback boys would keep Neal Brown forever because no one will ever want to poach him lol.

Only you and the brokeback boys (BRU, UGA) give a crap about that. He grew up in WV and went to WVU, and played for WVU. We rooted for him. Once a Moutaineer always a Mountaineer. He is more of a Mountaineer than any of you, tbh...and more than Brown and Holgs combined.
Really, then how's that work in transfer portal?

Pat White was a college football superstar Will Greir wasn't. Marc Bulger has been the most successful QB wvu has had in the last 30 years in terms of NFL career. Did he Change the trajectory of the Wvu football program? Baker Mayfield couldn't cut it at Texas Tech because there was a guy named Patrick Mahomes there. Did Mahomes elevate the Texas Tech program? It takes the right system, right players and right coach to change the face of a program. Wvu has not had that since 2007. A couple of publications ranked Holgorsen and Brown as two of the worst coaches in the Big 12. Anyone who watched the final minutes of the game can see why these two coaches are not held in high esteem. When your coach has the ability to call and get job interviews at blue bloods it tells you what the perception of your program is.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
Pat White was a college football superstar Will Greir wasn't. Marc Bulger has been the most successful QB wvu has had in the last 30 years in terms of NFL career. Did he Change the trajectory of the Wvu football program? Baker Mayfield couldn't cut it at Texas Tech because there was a guy named Patrick Mahomes there. Did Mahomes elevate the Texas Tech program? It takes the right system, right players and right coach to change the face of a program. Wvu has not had that since 2007. A couple of publications ranked Holgorsen and Brown as two of the worst coaches in the Big 12. Anyone who watched the final minutes of the game can see why these two coaches are not held in high esteem. When your coach has the ability to call and get job interviews at blue bloods it tells you what the perception of your program is.
Exactly. And the fact we have to argue this point shows either the OP’s are clueless or butthurt over Rod leaving. Maybe a combination of both. I can guarantee if Rodriguez keeps doing well at Jacksonville State, another P5 school will come around and want him as a HC. If he stays, it’s only because he chose to. Nobody in this business gives 2 shits about integrity or what’s morally right and what is not. This is a billion dollar industry and all they care about is winning. These stakes are soo high, a school like SMU just forfeited 9 years of ACC media rights money just to join for free.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
3 top ten finishes.
5 straight New Year's Day bowl games
Blue blood wanting to hire you that's all you need to know.
and has the distinction of giving Michigan it's first losing season in over 100 years of football..well done..oh wait..so he didn't have a roster of his own recruits..interesting

and has the distinction of giving Michigan it's first losing season in over 100 years of football..well done..oh wait..so he didn't have a roster of his own recruits..interesting
What he did in Michigan has no bearing on what he did at Wvu. Coaches succeed and fail for a variety of reasons. Scott Frost was a great coach at Ucf. He goes back to his alma Mater in what looked like a good hire and fails. Nick Saban and Urban Meyer two of the greatest college coaches of our generation were failures in the NFL.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Lol alright dude, whatever you want to believe. Our top heavy roster would have also replicated the same success with a tough schedule, because of the Rich Rodriguez-ness of the team despite that not actually playing out anywhere else. Never mind that Patrick effing Mahomes couldn’t backpack TT to so much as a bowl game, but Pat White, Owen Schmitt, and Steve Slaton would have had zero issues winning 10 [eyeroll]

Lol alright dude, whatever you want to believe. Our top heavy roster would have also replicated the same success with a tough schedule, because of the Rich Rodriguez-ness of the team despite that not actually playing out anywhere else. Never mind that Patrick effing Mahomes couldn’t backpack TT to so much as a bowl game, but Pat White, Owen Schmitt, and Steve Slaton would have had zero issues winning 10 [eyeroll]
Our top-heavy roster beat a Sec Champ and a Big 12 champ. Our top-heavy roster went to 5 straight New Year's Day bowls. Our top-heavy roster finished the season ranked in the top 10 three consecutive years. I don't have to believe these things they happened. Your butt hurt pride needs to resort to revisionist history because you can't accept reality. No matter how much you want to move the goal posts you can't change the facts.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
No I don’t think the Grier team would’ve run over the schedule Rod had.
Because you are simple. The Grier team had better firepower and NFL talent than the White team and went 8-3 in the Big XII probably 9-3 had a hurricane not cancelled a game against a mediocre team.
Our top-heavy roster beat a Sec Champ and a Big 12 champ. Our top-heavy roster went to 5 straight New Year's Day bowls. Our top-heavy roster finished the season ranked in the top 10 three consecutive years. I don't have to believe these things they happened. Your butt hurt pride needs to resort to revisionist history because you can't accept reality. No matter how much you want to move the goal posts you can't change the facts.

The Big XII is not just a better league, but 3 OOC games rather than 5 OOC games simply matters. 5 straight NYD bowls doesn’t happen if we’re finishing 3rd or worse in the Big XII. You fail completely to understand that we got opportunities that would never have come our way in a better league. Idk how many times you have to see a G5 beat an unmotivated power conference team in a bowl game for you to realize it’s one thing to spend a month prepping to beat a team, and it’s another to spend a month recruiting for next year. Playing these teams week in and week out is difficult, playing one of them once at the end of the year when they probably don’t respect our conference is another.

If the Pat White teams from 05-07 take even 1 more loss per year in a tougher conference, the legacy those teams enjoy does not exist. If he coached us in the Big XII RR would probably still be here as he probably doesn’t do enough to get poached, he’d be our Mike Gundy.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUALLEN
Personally, I'm not changing the past. Best years of Mountaineer football ever imo. But past results are just that. History. What you and others are ignoring, he hasn't come remotely close of duplicating. When you are attempting to make the case of him coming back, why are you not accepting that reality? Your answer doesn't matter to me as under no circumstance he is welcomed back but if you are asking others about accepting reality of history, you should do the same.

Personally, I'm not changing the past. Best years of Mountaineer football ever imo. But past results are just that. History. What you and others are ignoring, he hasn't come remotely close of duplicating. When you are attempting to make the case of him coming back, why are you not accepting that reality? Your answer doesn't matter to me as under no circumstance he is welcomed back but if you are asking others about accepting reality of history, you should do the same.
How about 16-22 in the B12 for some history. Brown isn't a pimple on the ass of rich Rod but you were hurt so bad by rich, you'll take it to your grave.

The troll thread continues. You should have kept this in the come home thread for root to set the record.

The troll thread continues. You should have kept this in the come home thread for root to set the record.
I'm realizing that Rich Rod's impact on this fan base is much bigger than I ever imagined until recently. All these years later a lot of fans still suffer so much hurt and hate and even fear from the whole ordeal. Its something I'm more interested in learning about. And it makes me want WVU to hire him even more tbh....a week ago I would've taken a pass, but not because Im butthurt from him leaving for UM. Now I'm all in on Rich Rod. If you're not first you're last.....

I'm realizing that Rich Rod's impact on this fan base is much bigger than I ever imagined until recently. All these years later a lot of fans still suffer so much hurt and hate and even fear from the whole ordeal. Its something I'm more interested in learning about. And it makes me want WVU to hire him even more tbh....a week ago I would've taken a pass, but not because Im butthurt from him leaving for UM. Now I'm all in on Rich Rod. If you're not first you're last.....
Do you enjoy making up stories or do you actually believe the nonsense being posted.

Do you enjoy making up stories or do you actually believe the nonsense being posted.
Making up stories about what? I dont think Rich Rod is a bad coach, and in fact I know he is a better coach than Neal Brown. Can you prove to me that Neal Brown is a better coach than Rich Rod? Nope. No one one here will ever convince me otherwise. If its still ok to trust the climb, then its ok to want the Hot Rod back! The fact that it triggers so many people makes me smile lol.

Making up stories about what? I dont think Rich Rod is a bad coach, and in fact I know he is a better coach than Neal Brown. Can you prove to me that Neal Brown is a better coach than Rich Rod? Nope. No one one here will ever convince me otherwise. If its still ok to trust the climb, then its ok to want the Hot Rod back! The fact that it triggers so many people makes me smile lol.
And there you go making up shit as if it's my opinion and what I think.

If he comes here fine. If not that's fine. I don't give a shit either way. Nobody has control over who gets hired and who doesn't.

You might think those big money donors call the shots but they don't. If they did then they would have made sure he stayed.

Now quit making up shit and claiming that is what I believe.

And there you go making up shit as if it's my opinion and what I think.

If he comes here fine. If not that's fine. I don't give a shit either way. Nobody has control over who gets hired and who doesn't.

You might think those big money donors call the shots but they don't. If they did then they would have made sure he stayed.

Now quit making up shit and claiming that is what I believe.
I dont know who the big money donors want. There are plenty of good coaches who would come to WVU so I'm sure they have a list. Maybe they want Rich Rod maybe not, but I would take him in a heartbeat. There are some compellng arguments as to why he is still a good coach who has just landed in bad situations.

If I had to guess, there are some big money donors just as butthurt as some of the poor souls in this thread. These folks will not even accept basic facts due to their hatred of Rich Rod, 15+ years later. I've never seen anything like this outside of an actual relationship gone bad. Its insane lol. Rich broke WVU and a good bit of its fans when he left, and it sucks actually. Some fans were hurt "so bad" by Rich, that they would rather WVU totally suck, as long as the coach is someone they emotionally accept as "safe". Neal Brown is obviously that coach to some of these folks. He might be running WVU football program into the ground, but he is "high integrity" (translation = not a coach who is good enough to be poached by a bigger school). This is mental illness....and hiring Rich Rod back is the only thing that will fix it.

Last edited:
I hated the way Rich left. He was unprofessional in his departure but im not going to deny the fact that he had great success here. What wvu needs is a coach that will make us forget about previous coachs. That hasn't happened since RR left.

I hated the way Rich left. He was unprofessional in his departure but im not going to deny the fact that he had great success here. What wvu needs is a coach that will make us forget about previous coachs. That hasn't happened since RR left.
We need to go to the AAC and have the AAC have an autobid to the playoff. Then the good times will roll.

Because you are simple. The Grier team had better firepower and NFL talent than the White team and went 8-3 in the Big XII probably 9-3 had a hurricane not cancelled a game against a mediocre team.

The Big XII is not just a better league, but 3 OOC games rather than 5 OOC games simply matters. 5 straight NYD bowls doesn’t happen if we’re finishing 3rd or worse in the Big XII. You fail completely to understand that we got opportunities that would never have come our way in a better league. Idk how many times you have to see a G5 beat an unmotivated power conference team in a bowl game for you to realize it’s one thing to spend a month prepping to beat a team, and it’s another to spend a month recruiting for next year. Playing these teams week in and week out is difficult, playing one of them once at the end of the year when they probably don’t respect our conference is another.

If the Pat White teams from 05-07 take even 1 more loss per year in a tougher conference, the legacy those teams enjoy does not exist. If he coached us in the Big XII RR would probably still be here as he probably doesn’t do enough to get poached, he’d be our Mike Gundy.
The Pat White team would have taken the Will Grier team to the woodshed. The Georgia team that Wvu beat had more talent than the Pat White Team and Will Greir team combined. There was nothing special about Will Greir he was a good QB but not a game or program changer. If NFL talent were a sole predictor of a team's success, then the 1998 Wvu team would have been the best of all time. That team had 6 players drafted in the 99 draft and four in 2000 draft which included Marc Bulger a QB that was vastly superior to Greir. The 2005-2007 teams had the right coach, right system, and right players and they proved they could punch above their weight class. You can hide behind the schedule all you want but the big 12 isn't that great of a conference never has been and never will be.

For starts this is a perspective thread. Secondly when did I ever say that we should bring back Rich in this thread? Third I'm not the one who turned this into another bring back Rich thread. It's the butt hurt brigade that did that by their constant feeble attempts at ignoring history and facts. Athlon ranked Brown the worst coach in the Big 12. They ranked Holgorsen the 3rd worst. Anyone who watched the game on Thursday can see why they came to that conclusion. The last 13 years of wvu football have had these 2 coaches on the sideline. We haven't accomplished much in the last 13 years and watching that game you can see why. I give credit to Brown for the wins in the TTech game and Tcu game. I will defend him against criticism that is unwarranted, and I think he gets too much flack at times. When he screws up he deserves to hear it. Last Thursday was unacceptable. No excuse for not winning that game. The last 12 second were incompetence of the highest order.

The Pat White team would have taken the Will Grier team to the woodshed. The Georgia team that Wvu beat had more talent than the Pat White Team and Will Greir team combined. There was nothing special about Will Greir he was a good QB but not a game or program changer. If NFL talent were a sole predictor of a team's success, then the 1998 Wvu team would have been the best of all time. That team had 6 players drafted in the 99 draft and four in 2000 draft which included Marc Bulger a QB that was vastly superior to Greir. The 2005-2007 teams had the right coach, right system, and right players and they proved they could punch above their weight class. You can hide behind the schedule all you want but the big 12 isn't that great of a conference never has been and never will be.
Your argument is about taking the best win each team has had and using that as the standard for who they are. 2005 happened by accident, RR had them looking down the barrel of its 2nd loss before he lucked into White being forced onto the field and saving the season, how RR gets credit for that season with you fanboys is beyond me. His actual decision at QB was Adam Bednarik, and he never voluntarily benched him. His actual decision at RB was Jason Gwaltney, although to his credit he did bench him.

2006 and 2007 they should have ran the table but didn’t, they were favored in every game against a cake schedule. Had he not bitch slapped all of his players on the way out in 2007, who knows if they circle the wagons and beat OU, I also don’t know why he gets credit for that win

Your argument is about taking the best win each team has had and using that as the standard for who they are. 2005 happened by accident, RR had them looking down the barrel of its 2nd loss before he lucked into White being forced onto the field and saving the season, how RR gets credit for that season with you fanboys is beyond me. His actual decision at QB was Adam Bednarik, and he never voluntarily benched him. His actual decision at RB was Jason Gwaltney, although to his credit he did bench him.

2006 and 2007 they should have ran the table but didn’t, they were favored in every game against a cake schedule. Had he not bitch slapped all of his players on the way out in 2007, who knows if they circle the wagons and beat OU, I also don’t know why he gets credit for that win
My arguments are based on fact. It's a fact that wvu beat a Sec champion. It's a fact that we finished in the top 10 three straight years. It's a fact that Blue Bloods were pursuing Rich for his services. It's a fact that the guy who succeeded Rich was shown the door for three nine-win seasons which would have been unheard of before Richs arrival. You need to rely on speculation to make your argument work because the facts don't support it. Face it you're just butt hurt that he left.

My arguments are based on fact. It's a fact that wvu beat a Sec champion. It's a fact that we finished in the top 10 three straight years. It's a fact that Blue Bloods were pursuing Rich for his services. It's a fact that the guy who succeeded Rich was shown the door for three nine-win seasons which would have been unheard of before Richs arrival. You need to rely on speculation to make your argument work because the facts don't support it. Face it you're just butt hurt that he left.
Your arguments are based on selective facts. No one disputes anything you said, but the fact is he did not choose to play Pat White, that decision likely cost us the VT game and almost a few others. He did lose 4 other times when favored in 06-07. He did not coach coach the bowl game so shouldn’t be given credit for that win.

Beyond that, that’s for the other thread, not rehashing the hundred arguments why he’s over the hill here. Only talking about his time here.

Your arguments are based on selective facts. No one disputes anything you said, but the fact is he did not choose to play Pat White, that decision likely cost us the VT game and almost a few others. He did lose 4 other times when favored in 06-07. He did not coach coach the bowl game so shouldn’t be given credit for that win.

Beyond that, that’s for the other thread, not rehashing the hundred arguments why he’s over the hill here. Only talking about his time here.
Vt was better than wvu at the time and whether the result would have been different with White is nothing but speculation. My arguments are not based on selective facts it's based on the sum of his tenure year. Go back and read my original post in this thread. I mentioned that not every moment under Rod was rosy, but his hiccups happened infrequently to the point you remember them. Under Brown and Holgorsen screwing up is commonplace.

Vt was better than wvu at the time and whether the result would have been different with White is nothing but speculation. My arguments are not based on selective facts it's based on the sum of his tenure year. Go back and read my original post in this thread. I mentioned that not every moment under Rod was rosy, but his hiccups happened infrequently to the point you remember them. Under Brown and Holgorsen screwing up is commonplace.
They happened a lot when you consider his schedule and the quality of the team he had. To act like they wouldn’t have lost atleast another game per year in the Big XII is peak cognitive dissonance. Grier’s teams often dropped 40+ and lost, they often scored 30 and got blown out. We rarely faced teams capable of returning fire like that during the White years in conference or out of conference. What those teams (and you can roll Holgorsen’s Orange bowl team in with this) did have was top 20 talent and a favorable schedule with a good set of circumstances in the form of the Big East auto bid, and a very small sample size of better teams not respecting them during bowl season and getting pantsed as a result.

You also romanticize Gator Bowl bids. We got those because Notre Dame was either too bad or too good during each year, if something out of our control happens (a 7-5 or 8-4 ND) we would’ve been in a 3rd tier weeknight bowl on NFLN.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT