ADVERTISEMENT

Wvu's Shortcomings Since the End Of 2007 on Full Display Last Night

Jason Voorhees

All-Conference
Jan 2, 2017
In the 16 years since Rod left us 13 of those seasons has had Wvu football headed by Holgorsen/Brown. Looking at the Game from the Houston perspective your up 11 points with 6 minutes to go you probably feel pretty good at that point. Anyone who knows Holgorsen's history knows this isn't the case. His team allows a 50-yard touchdown pass with 20 seconds to go to lose the lead. If that would have been the final score it would have gone down as another typical Holgorsen loss which we were accustomed to over the years. On the flip side who allows a 2 play 60-yard drive in 12 seconds. Brown found a way to blow it himself. Allowing Houston to execute that play was totally unacceptable. Allowing the game to be that close was unacceptable. You can see why Wvu has struggled over the last decade and a half when these 2 coaches have been on the sideline. The reason people still talk about Rich Rod 16 years after the fact is because for the most part, we won the games we were supposed to and beat a few teams we weren't supposed to. You can talk about the Pitt game all you want but those games under Rod happened so infrequently that you can remember them. Under Holgorsen and Brown those games were commonplace. The Bring Back Rich chants will not stop until someone else comes in here and wins the games were supposed to and wins a few were not supposed to.

In the 16 years since Rod left us 13 of those seasons has had Wvu football headed by Holgorsen/Brown. Looking at the Game from the Houston perspective your up 11 points with 6 minutes to go you probably feel pretty good at that point. Anyone who knows Holgorsen's history knows this isn't the case. His team allows a 50-yard touchdown pass with 20 seconds to go to lose the lead. If that would have been the final score it would have gone down as another typical Holgorsen loss which we were accustomed to over the years. On the flip side who allows a 2 play 60-yard drive in 12 seconds. Brown found a way to blow it himself. Allowing Houston to execute that play was totally unacceptable. Allowing the game to be that close was unacceptable. You can see why Wvu has struggled over the last decade and a half when these 2 coaches have been on the sideline. The reason people still talk about Rich Rod 16 years after the fact is because for the most part, we won the games we were supposed to and beat a few teams we weren't supposed to. You can talk about the Pitt game all you want but those games under Rod happened so infrequently that you can remember them. Under Holgorsen and Brown those games were commonplace. The Bring Back Rich chants will not stop until someone else comes in here and wins the games were supposed to and wins a few were not supposed to.
Who allows a 60 yard 12 second drive? A QB who takes his Helmet off on the field celebrating that 50 yards pass, and a defense out of position.

Got news for you though it won't be Rich coming back. Chant all you want. But then again big 12 will be nothing more than a super power G5 conference so maybe he does win like he use to against the little ones.

Rods losses that should have been wins...(they were not as frequent but they did happen. He is not God)
2001 - BC, Syracuse, Temple, Pitt
2002 - UVA (in a bowl game)
2003 - Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Maryland (2 times)
2004 - Va.Tech, BC, Pitt (3rd straight bowl loss)
2005 - Finally did it right thanks to Pat White
2006 - USF
2007 - USF, Pitt

Who allows a 60 yard 12 second drive? A QB who takes his Helmet off on the field celebrating that 50 yards pass, and a defense out of position.

Got news for you though it won't be Rich coming back. Chant all you want. But then again big 12 will be nothing more than a super power G5 conference so maybe he does win like he use to against the little ones.

Rods losses that should have been wins...(they were not as frequent but they did happen. He is not God)
2006 - USF
2007 - USF, Pitt
WVU was not favored or supposed to have won a lot of those games you mentioned. The 2001 team went 3-8 in Rod’s first year. Wisconsin was not a game they were supposed to have won.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
WVU was not favored or supposed to have won a lot of those games you mentioned. The 2001 team went 3-8 in Rod’s first year. Wisconsin was not a game they were supposed to have won.
WVU has not been favored in any game this year except Duquesne and Houston.

Rod lost his starting QB his first year. Your love affair of Rod is covering your eyes.

I would rather find a coach under 60 and not a pervert.

Reactions: Phil1972
WVU has not been favored in any game this year except Duquesne and Houston.

Rod lost his starting QB his first year. Your love affair of Rod is covering your eyes.

I would rather find a coach under 60 and not a pervert.
I don’t have a love affair with Rod lol. I would be perfectly fine with another candidate. We only disagree on that I would consider bringing him back. What’s your thoughts on Charlie Huff? I think he would be a strong candidate

Rodriquez had his fair share...MD was favored -4.5 in the Gator Bowl and smacked WVU in the face with a frying pan 41-7

I don’t have a love affair with Rod lol. I would be perfectly fine with another candidate. We only disagree on that I would consider bringing him back. What’s your thoughts on Charlie Huff? I think he would be a strong candidate
Would hire him today. Not sure he is top option but no doubt deserves a serious look and interview.

Would also look at Texas State head coach G.J. Kinne. He would not be my first choice due to only 2 years coaching. He is from the Gus Malzhan coaching tree.

Then there is Liberty head coach Chadwell.

Would also look at former coaches who are assistant coaches at top ranked teams in the country. It worked with Nehlen and Rodriguez it would work again.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
I like Chadwell a lot. I like pelini. Huff is interesting.

But recently the arguments made in a certain thread convinced me to support bringing Richard Rodriguez back to morgantown to finish what he started. I never would've supported it until now. I'm down now though He is better than dana and neal

2006 - USF
2007 - USF, Pitt
For starts this is more of a perspective thread. In the last 13 years Wvu has been headed by Holgorsen and Brown. A Holgorsen coached team blew a lead with 20 seconds to go on a 4th and 10 and allowed a 50-yard Td. How many people that have watched this guy were actually surprised something like that happened? On the other side you have a coach that allowed a 60-yard drive with 12 seconds to go and lose on a hail Mary play. This is the type of coaching Wvu has had on the sideline the last 13 years. It's pretty clear why we haven't been successful over the last 13 years.. When it comes to Rod most of the games you mentioned were games we were not supposed to win. Year 1 was his worst but what were the expectations. No one knew what to expect. Year 4 was the only year you could really say he didn't meet the expectations that the fans had in preseason. Everyone who has coached at Wvu has had their High and Low points, but Rods high points exceed his low points. Until we get a coach that wins the majority of the games, he is supposed to and a few that he's not the Rich Rod talk will continue.

Last edited:
Rodriquez had his fair share...MD was favored -4.5 in the Gator Bowl and smacked WVU in the face with a frying pan 41-7
That game was a stinker but at the end of the day we were not supposed to win it. The game on Thursday was a game we were supposed to win. It's a game that never should have been close. The Thursday night game was the type of game that has plagued this program for the last decade and a half. Every coach had his low points but in Rods tenure they weren't to frequent.

Rich Rodriguez is a lot like Ricky Bobby. It was a wild ride to the top, and then it got to his head and he crashed big time. And now he's in the car with the mountain lion. And he's looking for his come back at WVU, to come full circle and get back to the top once and for all lol.

That game was a stinker but at the end of the day we were not supposed to win it. The game on Thursday was a game we were supposed to win. It's a game that never should have been close. The Thursday night game was the type of game that has plagued this program for the last decade and a half. Every coach had his low points but in Rods tenure they weren't to frequent.
WVU was favored in the tire bowl and got blown out by UVA 48-22

Please show us this. I remember this game and I certainly don’t recall WVU as favored. To prove I remember the game, the Virginia band pissed off every WV fan by doing some country bumpkin act at midfield making fun of hillbillies from WV

they were 8-4 we were 9-3.. 2 pt favorite..same old bullshit from the same type of losers..Fire Mike Barwis!..we're soft!

Im not surprised we lost that game. We didn't match up well with that team but you're forgetting this was early in his tenure. He was working with a lot of players that he inherited, and they didn't quite fit his system the way he needed them to. Secondly that 2002 team beat a ranked Pitt and Va Tech team on the road to end the season. Thats two game we were not supposed to win. So, if you think the Tire Bowl was a game, we should have won that still leaves us plus 1 for the season. How many times has a Wvu team went on the road and beat 2 ranked teams in the same season since Rod has left?

Jfc… in a sport where the players were either in preschool or kindergarten the last time Rod was here, I promise the result of the game on Thursday had nothing to do with RR.

Here’s a thought, we’re a middle of the road FB/BB program because that is what the school puts into it. The reason the school puts a middle of the road emphasis on it, is because that’s all we can afford.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUBRU
Im not surprised we lost that game. We didn't match up well with that team but you're forgetting this was early in his tenure. He was working with a lot of players that he inherited, and they didn't quite fit his system the way he needed them to. Secondly that 2002 team beat a ranked Pitt and Va Tech team on the road to end the season. Thats two game we were not supposed to win. So, if you think the Tire Bowl was a game, we should have won that still leaves us plus 1 for the season. How many times has a Wvu team went on the road and beat 2 ranked teams in the same season since Rod has left?
I can show you a few more if you want.. even without including the 28 pt favorite vs Pitt

Jfc… in a sport where the players were either in preschool or kindergarten the last time Rod was here, I promise the result of the game on Thursday had nothing to do with RR.
When did I ever say it was? I just pointed out that the coaching in Thursday's game is type of coaching Wvu has had over the last 13 years. It's the reason why we haven't been that successful.

I can show you a few more if you want.. even without including the 28 pt favorite vs Pitt
I can also show you examples of where he exceeded expectations as well. Regardless of whether you like it or not Rich was pursued by Alabama and Miami for coaching jobs. He was also granted an interview with Michigan once Greg Schiano turned it down. You don't get on Alabama's and Michigan's radar if you weren't doing something special.

Here’s a thought, we’re a middle of the road FB/BB program because that is what the school puts into it. The reason the school puts a middle of the road emphasis on it, is because that’s all we can afford.
I don’t see why you are unable to see that a winning program has consequences in recruiting and a losing program has consequences in recruiting. You win BCS bowls and recruiting gets better. You have losing seasons and recruiting gets worse. The point remains, whether you accept it or not, WVU and Bill Stewart reaped the benefits of 3 straight 11 win seasons. If Tavon, Geno, and Stedman were being recruited today, they don’t come to WVU.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
For starts this is more of a perspective thread. In the last 13 years Wvu has been headed by Holgorsen and Brown. A Holgorsen coached team blew a lead with 20 seconds to go on a 4th and 10 and allowed a 50-yard Td. How many people that have watched this guy were actually surprised something like that happened? On the other side you have a coach that allowed a 60-yard drive with 12 seconds to go and lose on a hail Mary play. This is the type of coaching Wvu has had on the sideline the last 13 years. It's pretty clear why we haven't been successful over the last 13 years.. When it comes to Rod most of the games you mentioned were games we were not supposed to win. Year 1 was his worst but what were the expectations. No one knew what to expect. Year 4 was the only year you could really say he didn't meet the expectations that the fans had in preseason. Everyone who has coached at Wvu has had their High and Low points, but Rods high points exceed his low points. Until we get a coach that wins the majority of the games, he is supposed to and a few that he's not the Rich Rod talk will continue.
too long did not read.

I can also show you examples of where he exceeded expectations as well. Regardless of whether you like it or not Rich was pursued by Alabama and Miami for coaching jobs. He was also granted an interview with Michigan once Greg Schiano turned it down. You don't get on Alabama's and Michigan's radar if you weren't doing something special.
he was 2-3 in bowl games and the scores in the losses weren't even close..with Pat White he managed two bowl wins by the same score 38-35

I don’t see why you are unable to see that a winning program has consequences in recruiting and a losing program has consequences in recruiting. You win BCS bowls and recruiting gets better. You have losing seasons and recruiting gets worse. The point remains, whether you accept it or not, WVU and Bill Stewart reaped the benefits of 3 straight 11 win seasons. If Tavon, Geno, and Stedman were being recruited today, they don’t come to WVU.
This is exactly right.

Recruiting is becoming a thing of the past. Free agency At college level and transfer portal without penalty has ruined recruiting high school players.

Recruiting high school players in the past didn't always line up because the previous teams were winners. See Don Nehlen when he followed the last loser coach we had.

Rod is old news and poision.

If he would happen to come I would support him just like I have Brown.

Recruiting is becoming a thing of the past. Free agency At college level and transfer portal without penalty has ruined recruiting high school players.

Recruiting high school players in the past didn't always line up because the previous teams were winners. See Don Nehlen when he followed the last loser coach we had.

Rod is old news and poision.

If he would happen to come I would support him just like I have Brown.
If you're not first your last....js..

Rod is currently not first. So why hire a loser?
Because we are West Virginia no one wants to come here unless they either suck or are from wv, according to a lot of fans anyway. Rich would be a step up from brown at the minimum, with potential to be way more. He wouldn't break up with us again either...

Any program at any given moment can pull in a big time recruiting class if they pony up. Case in point being Baylor, who was Rutgers of the South before the big money there said enough is enough and did what had to be done, and none of it involved chasing fossil former coaches.

Even before the current landscape we have recruited in the top 25 per Rivals maybe twice in the past 30 years. Are you trying to say Rod who recruited in the 25-50 range, influenced the ongoing recruiting in 25-50 range for the next 16 years?

When did I ever say it was? I just pointed out that the coaching in Thursday's game is type of coaching Wvu has had over the last 13 years. It's the reason why we haven't been that successful.
Or maybe Rod playing a non Big XII schedule saved him from a lot of toe stubs from 05-07, and even playing a Big East schedule he still managed the USF x2 and Pitt losses.

Any program at any given moment can pull in a big time recruiting class if they pony up. Case in point being Baylor, who was Rutgers of the South before the big money there said enough is enough and did what had to be done, and none of it involved chasing fossil former coaches.

Even before the current landscape we have recruited in the top 25 per Rivals maybe twice in the past 30 years. Are you trying to say Rod who recruited in the 25-50 range, influenced the ongoing recruiting in 25-50 range for the next 16 years?
What was the class of Geno, Tavon, Stedman ranked?

Or maybe Rod playing a non Big XII schedule saved him from a lot of toe stubs from 05-07, and even playing a Big East schedule he still managed the USF x2 and Pitt losses.
USF was pretty good at that time. In 2007, USF rose as high as #2. You seem to have a memory problem, a failure to differentiate eras that programs succeed and fail in, a blinded hatred of a once beloved and successful WVU HC, and a failure to grasp cause and effect scenarios. I’ll give you the Pitt loss as horrific. Easily the worst in WVU football history. However, it was a very intense, bitter regional rivalry. Much like Texas and Oklahoma, Ohio State and Michigan, it doesn’t matter how good and bad the 2 teams are when they meet in these rivalry games. It’s a different game because it’s got something that both sides are very passionate about. Anyone can win at any time. Each of these games is a tossup. Again, you probably don’t know since WVU and Pitt haven’t had the backyard brawl on a yearly basis in a really long time. The last 2 years hasn’t been the same.

Rich was born in Chicago.
Only you and the brokeback boys (BRU, UGA) give a crap about that. He grew up in WV and went to WVU, and played for WVU. We rooted for him. Once a Moutaineer always a Mountaineer. He is more of a Mountaineer than any of you, tbh...and more than Brown and Holgs combined.

One can always identify worthless individuals by whether or not they post facts or if they make up shit. I couldn't care less where that guy was born. I care even less your opinion on anything but at least try harder at being honest. I doubt you can.

One can always identify worthless individuals by whether or not they post facts or if they make up shit. I couldn't care less where that guy was born. I care even less your opinion on anything but at least try harder at being honest. I doubt you can.
Awww, your feelings are so soft BRU. You want a lolli?

Yeah I'm a worthless individual who doesnt post facts, and makes shit up. I guess Rich Rod didnt grow up in WV and didnt play for WVU. Oh wait, nevermind....

USF was pretty good at that time. In 2007, USF rose as high as #2. You seem to have a memory problem, a failure to differentiate eras that programs succeed and fail in, a blinded hatred of a once beloved and successful WVU HC, and a failure to grasp cause and effect scenarios. I’ll give you the Pitt loss as horrific. Easily the worst in WVU football history. However, it was a very intense, bitter regional rivalry. Much like Texas and Oklahoma, Ohio State and Michigan, it doesn’t matter how good and bad the 2 teams are when they meet in these rivalry games. It’s a different game because it’s got something that both sides are very passionate about. Anyone can win at any time. Each of these games is a tossup. Again, you probably don’t know since WVU and Pitt haven’t had the backyard brawl on a yearly basis in a really long time. The last 2 years hasn’t been the same.
You don’t even factor in the Big XII is 9 conference games vs the Big East being 7. If we were in the Big XII scrap ECU and either the FCS/Marshall game we were playing each year under RR and replace it with teams that can beat you when you play your B game. Add in OU and UT being on the schedule as our toughest games, and yea RR is probably 9-3/8-4 during those seasons.

Dickhead was ahead of the time as an OC and it was a great hire for WVU. Loved him as our coach. He was very fortunate to have players develop into being great and he used that to try to capitalize for himself immediately after a very poorly coached game. He turned his back on the University and team for selfish reasons at our lowest moment. At the same time, defenses have figured out his offensive scheme and has exposed his lack of ability to adjust to the talent on his team and he isn't a great coach. Still good but not great. Doesn't matter, his selfish actions has exposed his lack of hard working and high integrity the coach of WVU needs. Holgerson was similar and we don't need any more coaches like them when it is time for a new coach.

Fans need to move on and support this team. If we lose Brown whether it is him leaving or somehow he gets bought out, let's at least get a guy with integrity and not a hasbeen.

he was 2-3 in bowl games and the scores in the losses weren't even close..with Pat White he managed two bowl wins by the same score 38-35
Who cares what his Bowl Record was he won the Sugar Bowl. That win changed the perception and trajectory of Wvu football for years. It had people talking about Wvu football. We got a 5-star recruit in Noel Devine out of the State of Florida. Games like the Tire bowl, Cactus bowl, Heart of Dallas bowl they don't get people talking about your program. There not program changers. You really think the college football world remembers Tom Osbourne for his 7-game bowl losing streak. No Osbourne is remembered for his 3 national titles in 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT