ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD WVU vs. Penn State - Opening Game 2024

I sure am glad that our quarterback that has been hyped all offseason for improved passing is throwing 3 yard passes on third and long to tight ends. Ugh. This is exactly what I expected but it’s no less infuriating. Hopefully Brown will be gone by the end of the year.

At this point, the team is exactly what we thought it would be. A few games over .500 and a mediocre bowl game

"Well the weather was a factor today. There was a chance of thunderstorms and that impacted how we played. We'll get after it this week in practice"

Defense is playing terribly. Our strength of o line and running game is being shut down while Garrett can't consistently pass. Unless something changes real fast, we are going to get blown out in the second half.

Unless adjustments are made, or we get Irvin and Austin in uniform, this is going to be a long second half. Brown back on hot seat by not having this team prepared for the first half of the biggest game of the season.

At the end of the half why would you worry about the run. It seems to me you would put everyone back for just that bomb reason. Not thinking

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
This game is really meaningless for the season. Would have been a program defining opportunity. Still have a chance to get better in conference and make noise. Will they? Not likely under Brown.

This game is really meaningless for the season. Would have been a program defining opportunity. Still have a chance to get better in conference and make noise. Will they? Not likely under Brown.
Then we should not be scheduling teams like this for our 1st game if "it doesn't matter". Play some scrub team and feel good about. yourself. Instead, unless things change dramatically in the 2nd half, after this game you will have nothing be questions and negativity going forward from the fanbase.

My thoughts so far is that you cannot tell that we did much or any improving in the off-season. Greene is still inaccurate. Our OL is still getting pushed back in the backfield. Our WR's still can't get open. And our head coach continues to make head scratching decisions early by going for it instead of taking the points.

Then we should not be scheduling teams like this for our 1st game if "it doesn't matter". Play some scrub team and feel good about. yourself. Instead, unless things change dramatically in the 2nd half, after this game you will have nothing be questions and negativity going forward from the fanbase.

My thoughts so far is that you cannot tell that we did much or any improving in the off-season. Greene is still inaccurate. Our OL is still getting pushed back in the backfield. Our WR's still can't get open. And our head coach continues to make head scratching decisions early by going for it instead of taking the points.
Head scratching 4th and 1s running up the middle

Head scratching 4th and 1s running up the middle
With Donaldson and our supposed line advantage, that is not a terrible call. However running it out of the damn shotgun where the RB has to take the hand off, get a head of steam without a lead blocker and thus allow Penn State to flow to the ball is stupid. Get under center and run a power I dive with a damn d-line man as lead blocker if you have to.

Shout out to Neal Brown for taking a timeout and playing cover 0 when the only thing that can hurt us is an end zone shot. Beautiful move by the chess master

If you look (and trust) the radar/future radar, once this storm rolls through (around 3:15 pm), another is set to arrive around 5:00 PM and it looks to be much stronger. Very small window to play, unless they resume at 7:30 PM, which is not likely.

With Donaldson and our supposed line advantage, that is not a terrible call. However running it out of the damn shotgun where the RB has to take the hand off, get a head of steam without a lead blocker and thus allow Penn State to flow to the ball is stupid. Get under center and run a power I dive with a damn d-line man as lead blocker if you have to.
Or do a Tavon Austinesque tap pass. Penn State has too much speed and braun. We can’t sustain pounding at them.

Donaldson stutter steps and hesitates too much instead of plowing straight ahead.

I agree and I think they have changed their mentality on scheduling games like this with the playoff format.

I still don't understand both 4th down calls.... Greene is an outside runner, he's not big, and trying to push him up the middle is stupid. If you're going to run him, run him outside and give him a TE to throw to.

On the Donaldson one......it's called the wild cat.....if you want to run the tush push....line him under center, put a 2nd string guard behind him, and push him to the first down.

I agree and I think they have changed their mentality on scheduling games like this with the playoff format.
If you can't beat top teams like this, why would you be worried about making the playoffs? You're clearly not the best team in the country.

If it’s called, does it just not count for anyone?
ARTICLE 3. a. The referee may suspend the game temporarily when conditions warrant such action. b. When the game is stopped by actions of a person(s) not subject to the rules or for any other reasons not in the rules and cannot continue, the referee shall:1. Suspend play and direct the players to their team areas. 2. Refer the problem to those responsible for the game's management. 3. Resume the game when he determines conditions are satisfactory.c. If a game is suspended under Rules 3-3-3-a and b before the end of the fourth period and cannot be resumed, there are four possible options: 1. Resume the game at a later date; 2. Terminate the game with a determined final score; 3. Forfeit of the game; or4. Declare a no contest.

If you can't beat top teams like this, why would you be worried about making the playoffs? You're clearly not the best team in the country.
Today? No. But this team was clearly playing better late in the season last year than they were early in the season. I think we will be lucky to get 6 wins but for those who are more optimistic, I think a team can get better each week and we do not have another Penn State on our schedule.

ARTICLE 3. a. The referee may suspend the game temporarily when conditions warrant such action. b. When the game is stopped by actions of a person(s) not subject to the rules or for any other reasons not in the rules and cannot continue, the referee shall:1. Suspend play and direct the players to their team areas. 2. Refer the problem to those responsible for the game's management. 3. Resume the game when he determines conditions are satisfactory.c. If a game is suspended under Rules 3-3-3-a and b before the end of the fourth period and cannot be resumed, there are four possible options: 1. Resume the game at a later date; 2. Terminate the game with a determined final score; 3. Forfeit of the game; or4. Declare a no contest.
PSU isn't walking away from this without a W

Good thing we are the home team then. Since it is a non-conference game, our conference rules/policies trump their desires.
2. Terminate the game with a determined final score;

PSU would be happy to end this...right now...as long as they get the W and the score doesn't change.

2. Terminate the game with a determined final score;

PSU would be happy to end this...right now...as long as they get the W and the score doesn't change.
Yes. But that is mostly used when games are blowouts (ex. 45-3) and there's not any hope for the other team to come back and win. With it being a 2 TD game, I'd say that calling the game with a determined final score would be an option that would be difficult to make.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT