ADVERTISEMENT

WVU LB core

WVpride304

All-Conference
Dec 27, 2017
We know Long is a star if healthy. We know home state Bridgeport star Tonkery is another starter and is older and more experienced now. Who will #3 and who are the top 3 backups? I’m a little concerned about the LB depth and finding a 3rd starter. Benton is a top candidate but who knows what he will do? We know Long and Tonkery but who else? Campbell, Hensley, Sandwich....????????

The rest of team is quite loaded. Cornerbacks I think is the other ?????? DL and safety spots in good shape surprisingly. LB core depth is concern.

Offense is loaded with talent and depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjebarr
David Long has the chance to be Big XII Defensive Player of the Year
For whatever reason DE and LB have a better chance at the award.

Regarding the other players.
It would be best for WVU to have 3 or 4 players who can play.
Rotation to me is the best especially considering how fast most Big XII Teams play.

Qualls is out for the year from spring injury but could be cleared by mid season? Either way he probably is a lost cause. Hopefully Benton emerges as a stud to form a top 3 with Long and Tonkery.

Qualls is out for the year from spring injury but could be cleared by mid season? Either way he probably is a lost cause. Hopefully Benton emerges as a stud to form a top 3 with Long and Tonkery.

The difference between an average D and a great D is depth at key positions including DL and LB

Defensive players have to chase the ball and tackle as a team so they burn more energy than players on offense.

You need 6-8 capable DL
5 capable LB
7-9 capable DB's

If you can't rotate then by the third quarter your players will be sucking wind.

This more than the scheme is why WVU has had one of the worse rush defenses in the Big XII

The difference between an average D and a great D is depth at key positions including DL and LB

Defensive players have to chase the ball and tackle as a team so they burn more energy than players on offense.

You need 6-8 capable DL
5 capable LB
7-9 capable DB's

If you can't rotate then by the third quarter your players will be sucking wind.

This more than the scheme is why WVU has had one of the worse rush defenses in the Big XII

COMPLETELY AGREE! Which is another reason that if you dont have good depth, you should at least try to maintain reasonable TimeofPos.... Keep the Def off the field as much as possible, so theres no late game comebacks (ie Baylor)...

Dana says Qualls and Ferns will be available last 4 games. That saves them a year of eligibility and it also makes them available for four of our toughest opponents.

Reactions: nickw79
With that new rule. Qualls had a starting job before injury. Ferns was a serious talent but the knee injuries.

Benton, Tonk, Long

Hensley, Sandwisch, Chandler

Loe, Ferns, Qualls, Shea Campbell

expect Loe to work his way up to 1st team reps, IMO...... dude showed up as a safety/cb prospect but has put on the muscle and loves to hit..... only a RS freshman.

Benton, Tonk, Long

Hensley, Sandwisch, Chandler

Loe, Ferns, Qualls, Shea Campbell

expect Loe to work his way up to 1st team reps, IMO...... dude showed up as a safety/cb prospect but has put on the muscle and loves to hit..... only a RS freshman.

Nothing against the other guys, but on paper, Hensley, Loe and Chandler look like good depth players for 2018.

Not sure people fathom how gifted of an athlete you have to be to start as a true frosh. Even more so as a LB. The physicality required for that position is tremendous and unless you've played with OR against a high caliber division 1 athlete, you wont understand. I played against several division 1 guys and they were all men amongst boys.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
I worry about the depth at LB more than any other postion other than CB. Long and Tonk must stay healthy for us to have success. Long not making the Butkus watch list is a joke. 51 better LB's in the country than Long? I don't think so, but he is taking the right approach. You don't have to be on the initial watch list to win it. I bet he gets added sometime during the season.

Not saying a true freshmen has to start. I’m saying a hit recruit that will get in as a true freshmen and impact but start the next 3 years after. A star that will show those high quality signs as a true freshmen.

This LB core worries me. Long and Tonkery are only ones we can count on until others step up and show it. Can you imagine if Dorian Etheridge from Capital High(Charleston, WV) was here like he should? It’s a shame he went to Louisville. Etheridge, Long, Tonkery would be lethal.

And there it is

The only reason this thread was created

So looney tunes could bring up a WV boy who chose to leave the state

This LB core worries me. Long and Tonkery are only ones we can count on until others step up and show it. Can you imagine if Dorian Etheridge from Capital High(Charleston, WV) was here like he should? It’s a shame he went to Louisville. Etheridge, Long, Tonkery would be lethal.

Besides Sam Huff and of course Randy Moss what other big time football players has the state of WV produced.

Had to google it.
Carl Lee was a great player

Last edited:
You left out many. Curt Warner among many.

Anyways Keatoncornerloser is mad all the prospects he blabbers about in basketball never come. He gets mad I mentioned a WV star like Etheridge cause we desperately need a 3rd LB. lol...c’mon man.

I’m not sold at LB. We got 2 LB. We need someone to emerge. Depth is an issue as well. I’m tired of Swiss cheese.

Anyways Keatoncornerloser is mad all the prospects he blabbers about in basketball never come. He gets mad I mentioned a WV star like Etheridge cause we desperately need a 3rd LB. lol...c’mon man.

I’m not sold at LB. We got 2 LB. We need someone to emerge. Depth is an issue as well. I’m tired of Swiss cheese.

According to pro football reference WV has about the same amount of players throughout history that the state of Texas has at the current time.

I understand your loyalty to your state as many people in Texas had the same belief for the longest time.

Now since Texas has matured from their insecure Southern Roots it doesn't matter where the player is from

Why?

Not saying a true freshmen has to start. I’m saying a hit recruit that will get in as a true freshmen and impact but start the next 3 years after. A star that will show those high quality signs as a true freshmen.

VanDarius Cowan is that guy. He'll be a sophomore though, played in 7 games as a true freshman last year for Alabama and. Lee Kpogba is a highly rated 4 star recruit coming in next year and WVU is in the mix for another very good 3 star LB who is making his decision Thursday evening. The LB core should be pretty deep next year. Hopefully Ferns can make a strong comeback and remain healthy, would only deepen the LB core.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Cowan is talented just needs to work hard and stay out of any trouble. Could be a steal if that happens. Big and athletic LB. Next year we need someone to blow up at LB. I’m talking about Cowan or one of the new recruits this year that will be on team. We need that hit recruit or transfer that is big time.

Hopefully a Loe or someone explodes and steps up. In a perfect world hopefully Benton is really good. If Long goes pro we need another stud or 2 ready for next year.

Says we need a freshman to come in and contribute immediately......

Doesn’t seem to know who Josh Chandler is or that he’s on the 2-deep

Right now, I'd say with these new guys in difference places, we've got to get enough experience together to make it work. Tonkery, playing his 3rd position, a very smart player, though. I'm sure he'll get it right.

Hopefully Chandler is that guy. We need him to be. We need a big hit at LB so he can start and be a star next year.

Or we just need a dependable CORP of linebackers, regardless of class or seniority

Saying we “need” a top freshman makes no sense

full.gif

Our linebacking corps is a serious question mark....Time will tell, but unless these new guys can actually play it will get ugly....

Wonder if WVU would move players around if they lack good depth at LB

Texas will be short 4 LBs against Maryland
One because of injury
One suspension
One transfered
One is out for the first half because of a targeting penalty.

To overcome this Texas has moved one of their freshman 5 star Safeties DeMarvion Overshown to LB.
He is 6-3 215 so ultimately he may become a LB or at least a Rover.

Especially against Tennessee I think WVU will need all the LBs they can get

Another great out of state linebacker just committed!

Getting a lot of great talent from these Southern states!

I doubt he’s a Dorian Etheridge. Big choke not getting that WV star. Grantham from Martinsburg will be a stud at WVU. He gets after it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT