ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release WVU Gold Medal winner Ginny Thrasher talks with the media

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (August 7, 2016) – West Virginia University sophomore and 2016 Olympic Champion Ginny Thrasher addressed members of the media via a teleconference this afternoon.

A Springfield, Virginia, native, and competing for the United States at the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics, Thrasher won the Gold medal in the women’s 10m air rifle on Saturday, Aug. 6, at the Olympic Shooting Centre, located inside Deodoro Park, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Thrasher is making her first career Olympic appearance. She was awarded the first Gold medal of the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics.

On the last 24 hours since winning the Gold medal

It’s been a pretty crazy 24 hours. It’s been insane to go from waking up at 5 a.m. yesterday morning, completing my normal pre-match routine, getting on the bus, going to the range and shooting what was a very difficult qualification round for me. Then, to have a final that was an honor to be a part of, win (the final) and stand on the podium and hear my nation’s anthem was a very pride-instilling moment for me.

I then went on a whirlwind media tour that lasted a very long time. I got home to the Olympic Village around 11 p.m.

On the difficulties she faced in the 10m air rifle qualification relay

My hold was very big in the qualifying round. It was taking a lot of energy, and I was really fighting it. I had to realize that all I could do what shoot the best I could with that I had that day. Even though my hold wasn’t that great, I could still shoot really well and try my best. That’s all I needed to do.

On if winning an Olympic Gold medal will change her life

I think that the exterior of your life changes, but who I am doesn’t change no matter what medals I win or how many medals I win. I am excited that I get to enjoy all the outcomes that come with a successful Olympic Games. It’s a really great opportunity for me to positively represent my country and my school.

On if her accomplishment has sunk in

Oh, it definitely hasn’t sunk in yet! Holding that medal in my hands, looking at it and realizing it is still real is something I have to do every few minutes.

On if she sees herself as an underdog

People see the three percent of your performance which is in the spotlight. What they don’t see is the 97 percent when you are in the dark, working very hard.

Anyone who truly knows me as an athlete and has been with me throughout my career – I don’t think it (winning the Gold medal) was all that surprising.

On her level of awareness during the last few shots of the final

I definitely knew that I just needed to keep shooting the best shot that I could. I was very focused on my breathing. Of course, outside, distracting thoughts about medals and other outcomes were coming into my head, but I was very good about just breathing through them and focusing on what I needed to do.

Going into the last shot, I was just trying to shoot a 10.0 because I knew that’s what I needed.

On the career path she has taken to rise through the junior- and senior-level ranks.

For me, I’ve put in a lot of hard work, and I really love the sport of shooting. To be able to practice and compete in the sport I love – it’s the best thing in the world. Also, to be able to compete at such high levels, from West Virginia University to the international World Cups and the Olympics, is great.

On how she will refocus and prepare for the women’s 50m 3 positions competition

That’s definitely one of the things I’m focused on. Tonight, I will have my last media appearances before my next competition. I will have three days of practice that is completely focused on shooting.

I have a great community around me, and they are being so supportive. From Morgantown, to my hometown of Springfield, Virginia, to all of America – everyone is blowing up my phone. I’ve turned my phone off, and I am only communicating with those who can help me refocus on my next match.

On what it means for her to win Gold for the USA and for WVU

It instills a great sense of pride, especially being born and raised in (the United States of) America. I am a die-hard Mountaineer fan. I love going to school at WVU.

Just standing on the podium, hearing the National Anthem and watching our Red, White and Blue flag raised was an amazing moment. I knew that my state, all the states – the entire country – was behind me at the moment. It was very gratifying.

On her experiences at the Olympic Village

I’m having a great time at the Olympic Village. It’s an absolutely gorgeous place. Every room has a balcony, and from the balcony you can see the entire Olympic Park with fountains, and there are beautiful mountains in the background.

It’s very cool to meet different Team USA athletes, as well as different athletes from around the world.

On the congratulations she’s received from other Olympic athletes

A lot of my Team USA athletes, especially the shooting athletes, were incredibly proud of me. I appreciate the support.

On what she loves about the sport of shooting

To be honest, I love everything about the sport. Particularly, what makes this sport unique is no matter what staff you have, what your height is, whether you are female or male – it doesn’t matter. What you put into this sport is what you get out of it. Especially in a sport like shooting, you can chase perfection. You can work again and again to try to achieve that mastery with every shot. It’s a great adrenaline rush to have a shot that is so perfect and have to come back and do it again and again for the rest of your life.

On the differences between the 10m air rifle and 50m 3 positions events and her preference

I really have enjoyed both events the entire year, and I think I’ve grown in both events. Smallbore (50m 3 positions) has a few more variables – it is outside, so you are dealing with wind and lighting, which you don’t deal with in air rifle. At the same time, it’s not going to be the first Olympic event I compete in, so hopefully being in a routine will help, and I will know the process.

On the support she has with her in Brazil

My entire family came down – my parents and two older brothers. I got to see them today and take them around the Olympic Village. They are having a great time so far.

On how she initially got involved in the sport of shooting

I started shooting when my grandpa took me hunting in the eighth grade. I then joined my high school’s air rifle team, and I quickly progressed. I really loved shooting and practiced all the time. I then got recruited to shoot at West Virginia University, where I am now.

Since getting to West Virginia, I have just blossomed – I love it so much. Being there has really helped me grow not only in my physical abilities but also in my mental capacity for shooting. It’s helped me be a better teammate and have better time management, things all of college sports help athletes achieve.

On her competition day rituals

I don’t have any caffeine, ever. About 36 hours before a big match like this (the Olympics), you start closing down your bubble and become more inwardly focused. I have certain people who I talk to – mostly being my family, Jon Hammond, the West Virginia coach, and Raymond Prior, the WVU sport psych coach who works with our team. I talk to them and communicate with them, and I have a series of journaling exercises that I do, too. I’m very focused, so when I get to the line, all I’m focused on is shooting the best I can, and no other distraction can get into my head.

For more information on the Mountaineers, follow @WVURifle on Twitter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT