ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release WVU swimmer headed to the Paris Olympics

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
DOHA, Qatar – Senior Ivan Puskovitch of the West Virginia University men's swimming team qualified for the 2024 Paris Olympic Games after he placed 14th in the men's 10km event at the 2024 World Aquatics Championships in Doha, Qatar, on Sunday.

Puskovitch finished with a final time of 1:48:54.40. He finished higher than any other American male and he was the highest finishing male from North America in the event.

With this result, Puskovitch qualified for the Open Water National Team for the 2024 Paris Olympic Games.

There were 19 Olympic spots available per gender in Doha, including continental and host country spots that could be reallocated if unfilled.

"I came here with a goal in mind, and even after intense visualization of achieving that goal, it's still a surreal feeling to get the job done," Puskovitch said. I am so honored to earn this opportunity and do right by Team USA."

Puskovitch is the fifth American male in history to qualify for the Olympics in open water swimming since the event was added to the Olympics in 2008.

Puskovitch is the first male from the West Virginia University swimming and diving program to qualify for the Olympics. He will also be the first Mountaineer to represent the U.S. in swimming at the Olympics.

"We are incredibly excited for Ivan," head coach Vic Riggs said. "He has put in the work, and it has paid off with this accomplishment. I know how much this means for him to represent the United States, and we can't wait to watch him this summer in the Olympics."

Puskovitch will compete in the men's 5km event at the World Aquatics Championships on Feb. 7, at 5 a.m. ET.

The World Aquatics Championships will air on NBC. Final results can be found at worldaquatics.com.

The 2024 Paris Olympic Games are from July 26 through August 11.

For more information on the Mountaineers, visit WVUsports.com and follow WVUSwimDive on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Reactions: WESTBGVA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT