ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Football Expectations For 2017

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
The Mountaineers win total is projected to fall from 10 to five, and while this is slightly off-base because it doesn’t take transfers into account, Grier only has 1,200 career passing yards. His addition wouldn’t make a drastic difference in the overall formula.

Bringing back just 28 percent of its production, a level that virtually assures regression. Combine that with top-50 recruiting and solid-not-great recent performance, and you've got a drastic projected fall. Holgorsen faces maybe his trickiest coaching situation. Despite what the numbers warn, WVU is facing top-25 expectations with a roster that will look almost nothing like last year’s. The possibility for disappointment is high, and if the numbers are right, Holgo will be back on the hot seat.

Of course, there’s one way to solve these issues: avoid a setback at all. If the newcomers come through, the ceiling’s still pretty high.

I'm sure most WVU fans refuse to think that way, leading to the old line "Mountaineer fans are born to be disappointed."

I'm expecting anywhere from an 8-10 win regular season, so we are excluding the bowl game.

Our offense should be loaded, but we have big questions on the DL and at CB. Experienced and good linebackers should help the cause, and of course having Dravon back is critical.

We are likely going to be in some shoot outs this season.

There are three new head coaches in the Big XII this year, one a first-time HC at OU. Wins at OU, Baylor and UT this year
A lot likelier that Holgorsen loses to one or two of those new coaches than it is that he beats all three.

A lot likelier that Holgorsen loses to one or two of those new coaches than it is that he beats all three.
I know very little about the new guy at OU other than he has never been a D-1 HC before; great opportunity to beat them and if DH can't capitalize on that he probably never will. Baylor is in disarray and it keeps getting worse. Herman may be able to make a quick turn-around at UT, but getting them at MF is a big plus. I see upside in all of these, but I get your point also.

Cautiously optimistic. Key will be opener against Virginia Tech...and keeping the injury bug away from key players in early games. 9-3 would not be beyond reason. More likely 8-4 before a minor bowl game in the desert somewhere.

Last edited:
I know very little about the new guy at OU other than he has never been a D-1 HC before; great opportunity to beat them and if DH can't capitalize on that he probably never will. Baylor is in disarray and it keeps getting worse. Herman may be able to make a quick turn-around at UT, but getting them at MF is a big plus. I see upside in all of these, but I get your point also.

OU still has a Heisman contending QB and all of the recruits Stoops left behind. Even if the new guy is a disaster it probably won't be apparent for another 2 years, like Larry Coker or Gene Chizik.

IMO, Gibby shows his real talent and puts out a defense that makes it look like we didn't lose the entire d-line. Holgorsen shows his worth as a recruiter, and next man up makes it look like we didn't lose 3 starters on the o-line and the nation's best center. Grier gives Holgs what he's been missing, and we win 10.

I'm worried about the play calling dynamic and how Holgs deals with Spavital if things flounder a bit though.

Agreed on the upside part, but I'd hesitate a bit on your Baylor point. The recruiting class Rhule pulled in so quickly at the last moments makes me wonder if that's going to be as bad a near future as most people assume. Plus we haven't won in Waco yet.

IMO, Gibby shows his real talent and puts out a defense that makes it look like we didn't lose the entire d-line. Holgorsen shows his worth as a recruiter, and next man up makes it look like we didn't lose 3 starters on the o-line and the nation's best center. Grier gives Holgs what he's been missing, and we win 10.

I'm worried about the play calling dynamic and how Holgs deals with Spavital if things flounder a bit though.

I'm worried about Spavital in general. His buddy at A&M had to fire him because he was apparently so bad.

With Long out for at least 4 games with injury, your evaluation may need updating. As always, I hope for 12-0 and the Big 12 and national titles. Till the season opener. Virginia Tech could be a weterbell game the way Maryland used to be.

Although there are a lot of questions about this team, it has a lot of talent at the skill positions. Couple that with a solid solid coaching staff and 8 - 4 seems reasonable. If Gibby gets his defense in order and Grier performs as expected, Dana could be on his way to another 10 win season or better. IMO, Dana has improved the overall talent with top notch transfers, Jc players and hs recruits. The program looks more sustainable which encourages future optimism.

It's hard to believe that Grier can live up to the wild expectations - if he does
decent I see a bright year - this is one of the most balanced "O" I can remember in my 56 years of following the Mountaineers. On the "D" side,
I just have faith that Gibby will have them ready and focused. In addition, I agree with those who see the VT game as key and precursor to the season.

Hey it's the Big12! WVUs chances are as good as any. 6 wins are possible. And 9 wins are possible.

This team will be 7-5 at best. Most of the tough games are on the road and the fluffer has proven time and time again that he can't win big games on the road.

Hey it's the Big12! WVUs chances are as good as any. 6 wins are possible. And 9 wins are possible.
winning 9 games in the big 12 is nothing to brag about. Look what happened to wvu last season they won 10 and found out that didn't mean squat to an 8-4 acc team that beat none of the bigs boys in the acc.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
winning 9 games in the big 12 is nothing to brag about. Look what happened to wvu last season they won 10 and found out that didn't mean squat to an 8-4 acc team that beat none of the bigs boys in the acc.

You make a good point. A middle of the pack ACC Miami team whacked the piss out of WVU.

Reactions: Spookycat2002
This team will be 7-5 at best. Most of the tough games are on the road and the fluffer has proven time and time again that he can't win big games on the road.

I'm really curious to hear your reasoning here... especially since your prediction hinges on one game at the end of the year. The result of one game doesn't always act as an accurate measure of overall talent. I think the bowl game last year falls into that category.

You make a good point. A middle of the pack ACC Miami team whacked the piss out of WVU.

No they didn't. A crafty defensive coordinator who baited Howard to run the ball repeatedly and a hot as fire QB did. It doesn't change the score, but it's what Paul Harvey used to call 'The rest of the story'. Good day!

No they didn't. A crafty defensive coordinator who baited Howard to run the ball repeatedly and a hot as fire QB did. It doesn't change the score, but it's what Paul Harvey used to call 'The rest of the story'. Good day!

If you can't see how much Miami dominated WVU then you're a hopeless homer. Miami held WVU to 11 first downs and 230 total yards. Come on man that's a minor league argument. Take a lap and get your head in the game.

You only watched the second quarter apparently. The rest of the game was just WVU QB runs with a lot of three and outs and Miami not being able to throw deep or run the ball. The Miami QB was the difference.

You only watched the second quarter apparently. The rest of the game was just WVU QB runs with a lot of three and outs and Miami not being able to throw deep or run the ball. The Miami QB was the difference.

Typical low football IQ poster LOL. A game is 4 quarters pal. Watched every minute. Anyone that argues that Miami wasn't a superior team with better talent is a F'n idiot. You're proving you're an idiot with each reply.

Reactions: Spookycat2002
I was an idiot for not having a self enamored a$$hole like you on ignore. There are times I don't know Jack Schitt, but this is not one of them. Unfortunately you've never even met him. Goodbye, punk.

Reactions: hbeacheer
Unfortunately Michael....Greg is right on this one,

First downs, yards gained, turnovers, time of possession etc...all Miami.

The score reflected reality. They whipped us good.

Thank you for your civility. I still say if WVU had their QB and Miami had ours, it reverses the outcome. WVU out rushed Miami even with the RBs being limited to no more than 6 carries. Miami completed one deep ball all night. Three and outs and a hot as fire Miami QB did WVU in. Everything you point out is correct, but my point is what caused it. A different QB, a different game plan, possibly a different outcome. This was overall Howard's worst game as a Mountaineer, especially in decision making.

Thank you for your civility. I still say if WVU had their QB and Miami had ours, it reverses the outcome. WVU out rushed Miami even with the RBs being limited to no more than 6 carries. Miami completed one deep ball all night. Three and outs and a hot as fire Miami QB did WVU in. Everything you point out is correct, but my point is what caused it. A different QB, a different game plan, possibly a different outcome. This was overall Howard's worst game as a Mountaineer, especially in decision making.

Dumb LOL. Why stop there Mike? If WVU had Joe Montana WVU would never lose! Heck throw in Tony Dorsett and Lynn Swann while you're at! Then top the D off with Ray Lewis and Sean Lee. WVU would have killed Miami with those guys.

Some folks saw this year's Super Bowl as a great comeback by the Patriots, others saw a terrible collapse by the Falcons. Either way the Patriots won. Would they win two out of three against Atlanta? Who really knows? There is a comparative point here.

Miami still hasn't stopped Pettaway or Mckoy, Howard did. Remember Short waving for the ball, open over the middle? Kaaya made the passes WVU couldn't and had four TDs doing it as he simply kept the sticks moving against a WVU defense tired from stopping the run and deep passes, but mostly done in by way too many three and outs by the offense. Statistics

Miami did put a smackdown on WVU, partly by enticing Howard to run when he should have handed off or hit his slot receiver over the middle. Mostly though it was a red hot Brad Kaaya threading a needle over and over again. If Will Grier had been playing, who knows? I'll bet it would have been a different game. JMHO

Last edited:
Some folks saw this year's Super Bowl as a great comeback by the Patriots, others saw a terrible collapse by the Falcons. Either way the Patriots won. Would they win two out of three against Atlanta? Who really knows?

Of course they would. They're the Pats goof. They win titles. The Falcons were excited just to be there. Where ya been the last 20 years?

There's your like!!!!! Well done! Finally from the guy that just ignored me LOL. Why don't you ignore me d bag? You add no value! Just do it! Do it!
You're like a car wreck. You just can't help but look. The gore of your drunken posts and delusions of grandeur is some pretty funny stuff. Perhaps I add no value but unlike you, I am not delusional enough to think that I do. I have never posted that I am the most valuable poster on this board but you do all the time. If you ever spent anytime on the blue lot, you would understand what adding value truly is. Have a great day Greg and feel free to ignore me if you can't handle a little ribbing.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
Typical low football IQ poster LOL. A game is 4 quarters pal. Watched every minute. Anyone that argues that Miami wasn't a superior team with better talent is a F'n idiot. You're proving you're an idiot with each reply.
I don't think it was a talent issue (barring the fact that we were forced to take the field with Skyler Howard). What I mean to say is that I don't think it was "Well, we had a good game plan and executed well, they were just a better team." I think overall talent was about level, but I think they were more prepared for what we wanted to do offensively and defensively. They tailored a game plan that played to our weaknesses and as the game went on it snowballed. Miami is tough, but they went 8-4 and lost some games they should have won in their 4 game October stretch.

To say that WVU is going to go 10-1 is baseless and shows a bias that lies deep within a lot of homegrown fans of any team, but to say that this team is talentless and is nowhere near competing for a Big 12 Title is equally baseless and is either an act of ignorance or an act of trolling meant to get fans in here angry haha

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
I don't think it was a talent issue (barring the fact that we were forced to take the field with Skyler Howard). What I mean to say is that I don't think it was "Well, we had a good game plan and executed well, they were just a better team." I think overall talent was about level, but I think they were more prepared for what we wanted to do offensively and defensively. They tailored a game plan that played to our weaknesses and as the game went on it snowballed. Miami is tough, but they went 8-4 and lost some games they should have won in their 4 game October stretch.

To say that WVU is going to go 10-1 is baseless and shows a bias that lies deep within a lot of homegrown fans of any team, but to say that this team is talentless and is nowhere near competing for a Big 12 Title is equally baseless and is either an act of ignorance or an act of trolling meant to get fans in here angry haha

No offense, but wouldn't it have been even more baseless to have said last year's team would go 10 - 3? That bias that lies deep within a member of a fan base is called hope. The professional pundits and writers have the same biases and even less background information regarding any particular team. Phil Steele picks Texas over WVU every year, but it has no effect on the outcome.

We may as well be debating tomorrow's weather at this point. Why would anyone ridicule someone else's prediction, regardless of how it may conflict with another 'more reasonable' expectation? I wonder if Owen Schmitt thinks WVU has no chance to beat Oklahoma this year. Part of the excitement of college football is the unpredictability of many games throughout the year. I will make one little jab at your post, but I'm only teasing: How can you go 10 - 1 this year when you will likely play 13 games? [thumbsup]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT