ADVERTISEMENT

Wussifucation of Mountaineer football

I have explained this before.
DH gives WV a puncher's chance.

Problem with that it is not sustainable.
The other issue is firing him without the right candidate available.
Whoever takes over WV has to follow the 3-5 year plan and maybe the 5-7 year plan.

Truthfully WV needs to find a PJ Fleck but Fleck is having his own issues.
He is starting all 1st and 2nd year players and taking his lumps.

I don't think WV needs a total rebuild but if you want to play physical football without creativity you will not win much.

You must be creative and have a bunch of different layers to your offense.

No one lines up in the I formation and runs downhill anymore.
Last team to have success with that was Ohio St with Jim Tressell and they lost 2 straight BCS championships and adapted.

But in the end (like November) he goes down for the count lol.

So does over 95% of CFB.
After November you might have 6-8 teams left with a realistic chance.
So most teams go out in November.

Like I said Dana has given WV a puncher's chance.
He will enter November again this year with a chance to win the Big XII.

Like I said if you want to rebuild WV than a coach who is capable of doing so must be brought in and a rebuild needs to be done.
This can be anywhere from a 3-7 year process.

it started with dana's fragile air raid offense. now the fans have been wussified too. no championship goals. no chip. no heart. no chance to ever compete. sad.

Thank God for Bob Huggins.

Just like any gimmick offense you're going to have bad quarters and bad games. See Rod the fraud for example.

Don Nehlen at least gave us an actual shot at a title.

Reactions: Rootmaster
It's the greatest entertainment bargain in the world for me, 12-0 or 0-12.
And there is nothing like the feeling of singing "Country Roads" after my alma mater wins a game.
Which I hope to do Thursday night from Section 105.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ail Baylor

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

It's the greatest entertainment bargain in the world for me, 12-0 or 0-12.

LOL...do you just comment to hear yourself or what? What does this have to do with the poster's subject? We know....we know...you are going to the game and apparently you don't care if the team wins or loses. You are a gem.

After November you might have 6-8 teams left with a realistic chance.
So most teams go out in November.

No...some teams improve as a season goes on. WVU under DH is 14-17 in November since the school joined the Big 12-2=10. Pathetic in November when things are on the line. Don't blame the players...blame Coach Mediocre. Maybe he could switch the schedule around and play the Libertys of the world at the end lol.

No...some teams improve as a season goes on. WVU under DH is 14-17 in November since the school joined the Big 12-2=10. Pathetic in November when things are on the line. Don't blame the players...blame Coach Mediocre. Maybe he could switch the schedule around and play the Libertys of the world at the end lol.

Maybe schedule Pitt again.
That is an easy November win.
They can rest the starters by halftime

The lack of improvement as the year progresses screams coaching. You never stop trying to make your team better.

Untrue.
2015 WV finished 5-1
Only lost coming to Kansas St on the road by one point.

This was parlayed into a 10 win season the following year.
Even in 2016 they finished 4-2

Issue for 2017 and 2018 was that in 2017 you had three great QBs.
Rudolph, Mayfield and Kenny Hill
The 4th Big XII loss coming when Grier was injured
2018 you still don't know how the season will end

Untrue.
2015 WV finished 5-1
Only lost coming to Kansas St on the road by one point.

This was parlayed into a 10 win season the following year.
Even in 2016 they finished 4-2

Issue for 2017 and 2018 was that in 2017 you had three great QBs.
Rudolph, Mayfield and Kenny Hill
The 4th Big XII loss coming when Grier was injured
2018 you still don't know how the season will end

In 2015, that loss against Kansas State came against KSU's 4th string QB who was converted receiver and just ran the option. Sad that DH couldn't muster a win in that situation.

In 2016, Oklahoma destroyed WVU at home as well as Okie State beating WVU at home by 17 points. Let's not forget the bowl game loss to Miami.

In 2017, Grier is lost for the season due to injury and once again Dana has no backup QB to take over that could throw a pass longer than 5 yards.

In 2018, you are correct in that we don't know how the season will end. However, history is not on Dana's side and if this team limps to only 7 wins, I don't see why keeping Dana is necessary when other proven coaches at lower level schools are available.

Huggin's teams compete and come close. 2nd best team in the tournament last year. He still has that championship goal.

I agree his teams compete and play hard but nobody remembers 2nd place or being the 2nd best team in the tournament. At some point he is going to have to win the big game to be remembered as one of all time great coaches and not just be a Sweet 16 coach. A championship is the only thing missing from his resume and I hope he gets it at WVU before he calls it a career!

I agree his teams compete and play hard but nobody remembers 2nd place or being the 2nd best team in the tournament. At some point he is going to have to win the big game to be remembered as one of all time great coaches and not just be a Sweet 16 coach. A championship is the only thing missing from his resume and I hope he gets it at WVU before he calls it a career!
He will be a HOF coach with or without a NC. I hope he gets it as well, but the best thing is, I believe, Huggs wants it more for the state than himself. I was one who said when we hired him, be careful what you wish for, but he has been nothing but great for the team, University and the state.

Reactions: pbody
Anyone who disputes that wvu football has been wussified under Fluffer Holgorsen hasn't got a clue. How many other coaches do you know that high five opposing teams players after they make a fool out of you on national television.

Reactions: pressvirginia
Anyone who disputes that wvu football has been wussified under Fluffer Holgorsen hasn't got a clue. How many other coaches do you know that high five opposing teams players after they make a fool out of you on national television.

Woddy Hays would have body slammed him!!!

In 2015, that loss against Kansas State came against KSU's 4th string QB who was converted receiver and just ran the option. Sad that DH couldn't muster a win in that situation.

In 2016, Oklahoma destroyed WVU at home as well as Okie State beating WVU at home by 17 points. Let's not forget the bowl game loss to Miami.

In 2017, Grier is lost for the season due to injury and once again Dana has no backup QB to take over that could throw a pass longer than 5 yards.

In 2018, you are correct in that we don't know how the season will end. However, history is not on Dana's side and if this team limps to only 7 wins, I don't see why keeping Dana is necessary when other proven coaches at lower level schools are available.

So a College HoF coach and living legend out coached Dana.

You can't blame Dana for that because Bill Snyder also has out coached other college HoF coaches as well.

Reactions: ChattanoogaEER

Interesting that you didn't mention Tony Gibson's name anywhere in your post.

Huggin's teams compete and come close. 2nd best team in the tournament last year. He still has that championship goal.
Thank God for him though right.

I mean we wouldn't want to see WVU settle for coming up short. As long as they have that Goal. And they are from West Virginia. And their name is Bob Huggins.

LOL...do you just comment to hear yourself or what? What does this have to do with the poster's subject? We know....we know...you are going to the game and apparently you don't care if the team wins or loses. You are a gem.
Someone still pissing in your Cheerios, I see. Kick any dogs or chase any children off your lawn today.

Are you a Russian bot trying to get Mountaineers to fight among each other so they can influence the outcome of our games?

Thank God for him though right.

I mean we wouldn't want to see WVU settle for coming up short. As long as they have that Goal. And they are from West Virginia. And their name is Bob Huggins.

Dana would not dream of mentioning a championship goal. Quit focusing on where coaches come from

So a College HoF coach and living legend out coached Dana.

You can't blame Dana for that because Bill Snyder also has out coached other college HoF coaches as well.

Bill Synder is a good coach but a living legend is stretching the imagination. He’s not Bear Bryant or Vince Lombardi.

Bill Synder is a good coach but a living legend is stretching the imagination. He’s not Bear Bryant or Vince Lombardi.

Facts and Truth don't matter to you.
You have your opinion and you don't care about if it is wrong or not.

Like I have said before the attacks on DH are without merit most of the time.
Not saying the guy is a great coach but he is a good coach and so far in the Big XII he has given WV a chance to compete.
With recruiting and resources WV could be doing a lot worse than Dana.

If WV wants to get better there is no quick fix situation.
Firing DH and bringing in another coach doesn't guarantee anything.

Only way WV can do better than they are now is if someone comes in and rebuilds the program.
This will not be a quick fix and would take 3-5 years to rebuild.

Like I have said look at Matt Campbell and Iowa St.
Probably by next year or 2020 they will be a serious threat to play in Arlington every year.
But for Matt Campbell and Iowa St.
2016 was a shitty season.

Dana would not dream of mentioning a championship goal. Quit focusing on where coaches come from
He should considering playing for championships is exactly why Luck brought him here and what he expected Dana to do.

Facts and Truth don't matter to you.
You have your opinion and you don't care about if it is wrong or not.

Like I have said before the attacks on DH are without merit most of the time.
Not saying the guy is a great coach but he is a good coach and so far in the Big XII he has given WV a chance to compete.
With recruiting and resources WV could be doing a lot worse than Dana.

If WV wants to get better there is no quick fix situation.
Firing DH and bringing in another coach doesn't guarantee anything.

Only way WV can do better than they are now is if someone comes in and rebuilds the program.
This will not be a quick fix and would take 3-5 years to rebuild.

Like I have said look at Matt Campbell and Iowa St.
Probably by next year or 2020 they will be a serious threat to play in Arlington every year.
But for Matt Campbell and Iowa St.
2016 was a shitty season.

And look at how Campbell has them playing in his THIRD season as a coach! You are right he will probably be a threat to play in Arlington every year if he stays long enough. That’s called BUILDING a program. Dana is in his 8th season and still hasn’t shown that he has WVU going in the right direction contrary to all of the facts that have been pointed out to you.

Could WVU do worse? Absolutely! However did you ever think they might actually do better with another coach? It’s not a certainty but it sure as hell isn’t an impossibility either.

And look at how Campbell has them playing in his THIRD season as a coach! You are right he will probably be a threat to play in Arlington every year if he stays long enough. That’s called BUILDING a program. Dana is in his 8th season and still hasn’t shown that he has WVU going in the right direction contrary to all of the facts that have been pointed out to you.

Could WVU do worse? Absolutely! However did you ever think they might actually do better with another coach? It’s not a certainty but it sure as hell isn’t an impossibility either.

Maybe the ceiling has already been reached in the Big XII.
I doubt it because with DH I think WV could win a Big XII conference.
It won't be something that happens every year or every other year.

You are forgetting that almost half of the conference has never won the Big XII in football.
You have to go back a long way to find a conference championship for Iowa State, Tech and Kansas.
Oklahoma St has only won once.

But in the end (like November) he goes down for the count lol.

If he does a November nosedive (and he may), I would suspect he's gone if Lyons feels like he can get his guy. The offense has taken a step back with Spavital as coordinator and if they lose to Baylor, he may be demoted to QB coach. I feel like anything less than a #2 finish in the conference and an appearance in the Big 12 Championship Game should be considered a failure given the returning players, coaching continuity and a favorable schedule. I realize that a with a new coach brings a 3-5 year grace period but something tells me that Dana won't have us any closer to a Big 12 championship in 3-5 years.

I think some of you guys look at things through very narrow glasses.

To say that Campbell has ISU headed in any direction is misguided. His team is what, 4-3 right now? The only really good win so far has been us, and that is debatable. ISU looks good right now because about 7 teams out of the B12 are rebuilding this year. Same thing goes for Tech. Neither recruits well enough to sustain it over the long term.

The question for WVU, and for Dana also, will be if the defense is for real or not. From the ISU game, all the woes fell on the offense, and rightfully so. But people overlook the fact that our defense never really stopped ISU all night. The only thing that kept ISU from scoring 50 or more was their own mistakes, namely costly penalties that stalled drives. If you don't believe it, go back and watch.

Now, was this just a one game anomaly, like the offensive woes that night, or is this a harbinger of things to come as we play the better teams from the conference from here on out? I believe the jury is still out right now. Tomorrow night might not be as telling as next Saturday. Either way, by next Sunday, we should know for sure whether real estate agents in the Morgantown area should have their cell phones on them fully charged or not.

I think some of you guys look at things through very narrow glasses.

To say that Campbell has ISU headed in any direction is misguided. His team is what, 4-3 right now? The only really good win so far has been us, and that is debatable. ISU looks good right now because about 7 teams out of the B12 are rebuilding this year. Same thing goes for Tech. Neither recruits well enough to sustain it over the long term.

The question for WVU, and for Dana also, will be if the defense is for real or not. From the ISU game, all the woes fell on the offense, and rightfully so. But people overlook the fact that our defense never really stopped ISU all night. The only thing that kept ISU from scoring 50 or more was their own mistakes, namely costly penalties that stalled drives. If you don't believe it, go back and watch.

Now, was this just a one game anomaly, like the offensive woes that night, or is this a harbinger of things to come as we play the better teams from the conference from here on out? I believe the jury is still out right now. Tomorrow night might not be as telling as next Saturday. Either way, by next Sunday, we should know for sure whether real estate agents in the Morgantown area should have their cell phones on them fully charged or not.

That is totally wrong.
Iowa St isn't just winning more games than they ever had they are also recruiting better than they ever had and developing the talent.

6-6 was something to celebrate for a long time in Ames.

The question for Iowa St will be Kansas St.
They have a pretty easy schedule to end the year compared with the rest of the Big XII.
Could easily finish 8-4 with improvement

Reactions: Motormaster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT