ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Team Since Hinds, McCune, Forsyth Trainwreck Class....

Captain EER

All-Conference
Sep 21, 2005
Even the team with Eron Harris and Terry Henderson looked better than this bunch. Our guards are horrible, absolutely horrible. Chase is a Fairmont State player at best. As much as I believe in Huggs, I cannot understand why he plays Chase so much. Good kid I get it. But, it is clear to even a blind man that Chase disappears each game because he simply does not have the talent to compete at this level. Lamont West should never be allowed to dribble. Esa should not be allowed to dribble. Jermaine Haley should either play shooting guard or small forward.....go get rebounds. Beatle should come off the bench as a gimmick player like he did in the past to change the pace of the game. I am OK with Routt....at least he does not hurt us (do we have any other options at Center?). Brandon Knapper needs to play more. Sure he turns the ball over, but he is the only guard we have that has an upside. I don't now about McCabe. I really thought his bball IQ would be better, but his decision making at times makes you scratch your head. Plus, he is a defensive mismatch. We are in trouble and this won't be fixed this year because we don't have any good guards. I hope I am wrong....but I think the writing is on the wall.

Even the team with Eron Harris and Terry Henderson looked better than this bunch. Our guards are horrible, absolutely horrible. Chase is a Fairmont State player at best. As much as I believe in Huggs, I cannot understand why he plays Chase so much. Good kid I get it. But, it is clear to even a blind man that Chase disappears each game because he simply does not have the talent to compete at this level. Lamont West should never be allowed to dribble. Esa should not be allowed to dribble. Jermaine Haley should either play shooting guard or small forward.....go get rebounds. Beatle should come off the bench as a gimmick player like he did in the past to change the pace of the game. I am OK with Routt....at least he does not hurt us (do we have any other options at Center?). Brandon Knapper needs to play more. Sure he turns the ball over, but he is the only guard we have that has an upside. I don't now about McCabe. I really thought his bball IQ would be better, but his decision making at times makes you scratch your head. Plus, he is a defensive mismatch. We are in trouble and this won't be fixed this year because we don't have any good guards. I hope I am wrong....but I think the writing is on the wall.

Unless we have some leave, we will not have the scholarships next year to recruit any either. We lose Esa, that's it. If Sags goes "pro", there's one.....but that will go to a post player. Culver's will be available shortly. Harler and Routt play too much. They are overwhelmed out there. Bolden is a SG, not a PG. Time for the PG position to be Knapper/McCabe. Suffer through the turnovers because they are both freshman. We aren't winning but 12 games anyways.

The 5 guards today were a combined 6-for-29 with 8 turnovers and 3 assists.
This is the poorest collection of guards for a WVU team since the Catlett era.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
What hurts us the most is Knapper being hurt the last two years. If he stays healthy he has two solid years under his belt and he's leading this team with an awesome front court. McCabe could've come along at his own pace and been solid for his sophomore year. Beetle could spot at PG when Knapper is out. Don't forget Teddy Allen was a 2/3 that transferred away.

But yeah, it's Eron Harris year all over again. Huggs will fix it, but the best we can hope for is to have a couple of upsets at home against the upper tier of the league. This year is .500 at best.

Esa is a joke. He was supposed to be the next leader. The next Jones, Butler, etc. Dude cant even play and doesnt look like he cares at all. The guard play is definitely horrible as well. Rebuilding year

Leaders/guys who care don't get themselves suspended for a semester by the NCAA for failing a pee test. Awful guard plays reminds me of the Jonathan Hargett days.

1) Play the FR...all of them. Either they adapt and we have a chance at a late push or they suck and we know what we got. We know what our vets are.

2) Stop the press...we suck at it.

3) Rest Konate until he’s 100%. We need him there for the B12.

4) scholarships are a year to year thing...it’s a sucky fix, but this group is not permanent. Huggs will help the ones who can’t hang here

Reactions: 5-Technique
What hurts us the most is Knapper being hurt the last two years. If he stays healthy he has two solid years under his belt and he's leading this team with an awesome front court. McCabe could've come along at his own pace and been solid for his sophomore year. Beetle could spot at PG when Knapper is out. Don't forget Teddy Allen was a 2/3 that transferred away.

But yeah, it's Eron Harris year all over again. Huggs will fix it, but the best we can hope for is to have a couple of upsets at home against the upper tier of the league. This year is .500 at best.

Teddy Allen has mental issues.

Should move Beetle to the 2 let Knapper play point. Knapper can fill in at the 2 as well. Haley can play point as well. It's a battle between Haley and McCabe to see who backs up at point. So far Haley is winning.

Play the freshman and bench the rest. Our upperclassmen play Ike they don't care. They've been in the system long enough to learn the fundamentals but don't practice them. There is no leadership in that group. It will have to come from the newbies if it comes at all. It's hard to believe that the actual demonstrated talent level is so far below what the prognosticators predicted it would be in the preseason. So far,this has been one of the most frustrating seasons that I can remember. I hope Huggs can fix it and make them at least competitive by seasons end.

1) Play the FR...all of them. Either they adapt and we have a chance at a late push or they suck and we know what we got. We know what our vets are.

2) Stop the press...we suck at it.

3) Rest Konate until he’s 100%. We need him there for the B12.

4) scholarships are a year to year thing...it’s a sucky fix, but this group is not permanent. Huggs will help the ones who can’t hang here

You make a lot of strong points. I think there are some pieces on this team that could be impactful next year but only if we have an influx of immediate JUCO shooting talent. We need players of a Paige/Myers/Philip mold and we need them now.

Yeah this team needs Culver playing before we mail it in. We haven’t played Culver yet and we only lost today because Konate pussied out. Also Huggs needs to retire if he can’t see that Beetle and Harler need to be on bench. Good bench players but not starters at all.

McCabe puzzles me, too. I thought he had exceptional ball-handling skills, so much so that his targets were as surprised by the ball showing up as the opponent. But he's one step forward, one step back. Typical of guys who need maturity. But it is a puzzlement.

This is a Wizard of Oz team. Needs a brain (for basketball), a heart (like a reincarnation of Jevon) and courage (like Jevon). If only we had cloned Jevon when he was born into, oh, 15 scholarship players. . .
The Big 12 schedule will be brutal if this trainwreck isn't back on track in 2 weeks. A mountain for Huggins to climb this season.

McCabe puzzles me, too. I thought he had exceptional ball-handling skills, so much so that his targets were as surprised by the ball showing up as the opponent. But he's one step forward, one step back. Typical of guys who need maturity. But it is a puzzlement.

This is a Wizard of Oz team. Needs a brain (for basketball), a heart (like a reincarnation of Jevon) and courage (like Jevon). If only we had cloned Jevon when he was born into, oh, 15 scholarship players. . .
The Big 12 schedule will be brutal if this trainwreck isn't back on track in 2 weeks. A mountain for Huggins to climb this season.
Knapper is world’s better right now...better than Bolden too.

My guess is Huggs is trying to get McCabe to “fit his system” when he should be allowed to be himself. He does need to defend better though.

Who was responsible for McCabe's recruitment? Did that person(s) see him practice and play in person or did they just watch those YouTube highlights? Quick passing makes a defense adjust more than fancy dribbling ever will and if you think he's struggled to this point, wait until conference play begins and he has a quality P5 guard on his ass. Relph, Hinds, Noreen, McCabe - I think we should stop recruiting state players of the year.

My guess is Huggs is trying to get McCabe to “fit his system” when he should be allowed to be himself. He does need to defend better though.
He lacks the athleticism to guard on d and penetrate and dish on o. He’s going to take a couple of years to develop.

A system he was forced to implement due to his poor recruitment of offensive talent. "Press" Virginia should not be a thing, and definitely not something to rely on. It gasses the players down the stretch and puts the team in foul trouble on a near nightly basis.

Besides, recruiting a player that does not "fit in your system" and then forcing him to change his game is not a sign of good coaching.

McCabe isn't playing because when he comes in teams just straight line drive past him. He cannot defend at all. Knapper would improve if he got more minutes. Hard to get into a flow when you play 4 or 5 minutes at a time.

Reactions: 5-Technique
Should move Beetle to the 2 let Knapper play point. Knapper can fill in at the 2 as well. Haley can play point as well. It's a battle between Haley and McCabe to see who backs up at point. So far Haley is winning.

Haley had 4 turnovers, ZERO assists against Rhode Island........again, how is he "winning" the job?

Yeah, I've come to the realization that this year is a year to get some good experience for the young guys and for Huggs to identify and get rid of the lollygaggers to free up some more scholarships. I imagine Culver will be first out the door, but think he'll be joined by at least a couple others who will be asked to move on. Huggs will fix it , but might be a couple years before we get back to challenge for top of Big 12 again. This year we'll be lucky not to finish last.

Yeah, I've come to the realization that this year is a year to get some good experience for the young guys and for Huggs to identify and get rid of the lollygaggers to free up some more scholarships. I imagine Culver will be first out the door, but think he'll be joined by at least a couple others who will be asked to move on. Huggs will fix it , but might be a couple years before we get back to challenge for top of Big 12 again. This year we'll be lucky not to finish last.

Still though, this would be the 2nd time in 6 years that something like this happens. That is unacceptable.

Haley had 4 turnovers, ZERO assists against Rhode Island........again, how is he "winning" the job?

McCabe in RI game ZERO assist. McCabe is shooting 25% from the field. Haley is shooting 40%. Haley had 4 TO's was his worst game. Haley has the ability play the 1 or 3. McCabe is a 1 period. Haley has the better edge because of multiple position. McCabe has yet to look like he knows what a basketball is. Knapper is ahead of both. Beetle is putting to much pressure on himself trying to do everything. He just needs to be the 2 period and shoot and play D.

McCabe in RI game ZERO assist. McCabe is shooting 25% from the field. Haley is shooting 40%. Haley had 4 TO's was his worst game. Haley has the ability play the 1 or 3. McCabe is a 1 period. Haley has the better edge because of multiple position. McCabe has yet to look like he knows what a basketball is. Knapper is ahead of both. Beetle is putting to much pressure on himself trying to do everything. He just needs to be the 2 period and shoot and play D.

What he said.

A system he was forced to implement due to his poor recruitment of offensive talent. "Press" Virginia should not be a thing, and definitely not something to rely on. It gasses the players down the stretch and puts the team in foul trouble on a near nightly basis.

Besides, recruiting a player that does not "fit in your system" and then forcing him to change his game is not a sign of good coaching.

PRESS VIRGINIA, AS IT HAS BEEN DONE PROPERLY IN PREVIOUS YEARS, IS DESIGNED TO GAS THE OPPONENTS. IF WVU IS PROPERLY CONDITIONED, AS IT WAS IN PREVIOUS SEASONS, NEARLY EVERY GAME IN THE 4TH QUARTER WENT WVU'S WAY BECAUSE THE OPPONENTS WERE SO TIRED THEY LITERALLY COULDN'T SHOOT STRAIGHT, EVEN WITH FREE THROWS. CONDITIONING, SMART AGGRESSIVENESS (HARASSMENT WITHOUT FOULING EVERY 3 SECONDS), SCORING OFF TURNOVERS WERE HALLMARKS OF PRESS VIRGINIA. THE ONLY THING THAT HAS CHANGED ARE THE PLAYERS ON THIS YEAR'S TEAM. HUGGINS DIDN'T GET STUPID OVERNIGHT. THIS TEAM DID.

THE ONLY THING THAT HAS CHANGED ARE THE PLAYERS ON THIS YEAR'S TEAM. HUGGINS DIDN'T GET STUPID OVERNIGHT. THIS TEAM DID.

LOL. The players are the players Huggs recruited...the players Huggs has developed...the players Huggs is supposed to motivate...and the players who should be "his" kind. Bottom line: team isn't a team just a bunch of guys who think they are good enough for the NBA and Huggs style seems to be getting stale. And, it wouldn't hurt if Huggs actually recruited a couple shooters. A bunch of "individuals" strutting their stuff right into a losing season...and they won't care.

Until Huggs changes assistants there will not be a long-term improvement. They have a set
way to evaluating recruits and without changes in staff there won't be a change in that
system of evaluation - we just have to deal with it. Don't get me wrong I don't like it one bit,
but it's just the way it is. This process has resulted in 1) not properly evaluating recruits about
what it takes to be a major college play (ie going to class and working hard in gym). 2) general attitude
on being coachable (understanding that they did successfully in high school probably won't work
in college 3) in connection with #2 be willing to change style of play to fit in 4) repeating WILLING TO WORK
HARD AND FOLLOW coaches' direction.
To me these four things are not emphasized or evaluated enough during the recruiting process - just look
back. This bunch seems to be lacking each of these in a big way.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT