ADVERTISEMENT

Worse beatdown: 2015 UK vs. WVU or 2016 OU vs. Villa?

WVUDisciples

All-Conference
Dec 28, 2002
I'm not sure. Worst first half beat down was WVU UK. Worst 2nd half beatdown Villanova.

Either way, totally embarrassing. We will see how good this Villanova team is but the UK team that beat us was a top 20 all-time college team. Just didn't show up against Duke.

One other comment that's been said before: EVERY year a 2 or 3 seed goes down in the first round. We drew a bad matchup for us, Huggs had a really bad case of the flu in the prep week, and prep or no prep, if somebody can knock down an outside shot, we still win and my guess we would have lost to UNC in final 8. Who knows but upsets in the first round are what the tourney is all about in the first weekend. We just happened to be on the wrong end of it. It happens. It was a waste of a good team but Izzo wasted a good team too. Every year somebody wastes a good team.

Oklahoma's loss was much worse it was the final four. Kentucky beat us in the sweet 16 outside of Wvu and Kentucky fans no one will remember it

I'm not sure. Worst first half beat down was WVU UK. Worst 2nd half beatdown Villanova.

Either way, totally embarrassing. We will see how good this Villanova team is but the UK team that beat us was a top 20 all-time college team. Just didn't show up against Duke.

One other comment that's been said before: EVERY year a 2 or 3 seed goes down in the first round. We drew a bad matchup for us, Huggs had a really bad case of the flu in the prep week, and prep or no prep, if somebody can knock down an outside shot, we still win and my guess we would have lost to UNC in final 8. Who knows but upsets in the first round are what the tourney is all about in the first weekend. We just happened to be on the wrong end of it. It happens. It was a waste of a good team but Izzo wasted a good team too. Every year somebody wastes a good team.

What do you mean by they didn't show up against Duke?

UK lost to Wisconsin last year. And OU's loss is worse because this Nova team would lose by double digits to last year's best team money can buy.

Was that the largest margin of defeat ever in the final four? I think so.

Definitely OU loss today was worse.

I would count WVU's loss to Duke in 2010 as worse than the UK loss in 2015. Only a game away from a title date against Butler. Coming off the high of defeating 1 UK prior. Also included the career-ending injury of Butler all in one night. Was there to see it up close. A debacle.

The 2005 OT Elite 8 defeat by L'Ville was a big loss ranking somewhere high on the list of disappointments. Up 18 with a Final Four spot on the line and couldn't defend or rebound to close it.

Misspoke on the Duke comment. yes, didn't show up against wisky. Thanks for pointing that out. I tend to agree with the board, it will be a long time until oklahoma will live down this beat down.

First of all Kentucky got beat by Wisconsin last year. And the OU beatdown was much worse, but both were very similar in that the part of the game that made us tick disappeared and neither team had a back up plan.

This is the first I have heard of Huggins with a bout of the flu during the prep for the NCAA.

Did OU lose to Nova for the same reasons that WV lost to SFA? You know, the officiating thing and the fact that WV plays soft. At least this is what some folks think. The Paperboy comes to mind.

This sounds like a rhetorical question. How can you compare any March Madness pratfall to the worst beating in Final Four history? Really.

The Villanova/Oklahoma game wasn't a beatdown from the beginning like WVU/Kentucky had been. Oklahoma was within nine points of 'Nova early in the Second Half, but then the roof caved in on the Sooners.

I think the overall talent disparity between us and UK was far greater than the disparity between Nova and OU. We didn't so much collapse as provoke an onslaught we were not capable of handling. We would have needed to play our best, UK its worst-- and get a lot of luck to have won.

OU beat Nova earlier this season. Nova was on fire but OU had much more capability to play with Nova than we did with UK.

As for which is worse. Neither is much fun when it's you, but I'd rather get trounced by a much better team than by a team I've shown I can beat. There weren't many "if onlys" after our UK game. OU fans have to be having a lot of them.

Reactions: GoWVU
I think the overall talent disparity between us and UK was far greater than the disparity between Nova and OU. We didn't so much collapse as provoke an onslaught we were not capable of handling. We would have needed to play our best, UK its worst-- and get a lot of luck to have won.

OU beat Nova earlier this season. Nova was on fire but OU had much more capability to play with Nova than we did with UK.

As for which is worse. Neither is much fun when it's you, but I'd rather get trounced by a much better team than by a team I've shown I can beat. There weren't many "if onlys" after our UK game. OU fans have to be having a lot of them.

I agree with what you say. The disparity between UK wvu was much greater plus it was a sweet 16 game. A team getting lucky and making it to the sweet 16 is much easier than getting lucky and making it to the final Four. Not saying that wvu was lucky to make it to the sweet 16 its just that a team lucking out and getting there has happened quite a few times

67-point turnaround sounds like a beatdown to me.

This is actually a easy answer. It's Oklahoma. OU had a great team. WVU had a good team against UK but that UK team was a historical UK team. I'm not sure Villanova has 1 player as good as any of the starting 5 for UK that year

basketball is that sport where anything can happen any given night.

you could throw horse racing in the same category - but ridiculous outcomes usually involve an ped and needle in horse racing.

Villanova destroying Oklahoma was worse.

Kentucky was the most dominate team all year last year, they were the best team in basketball. Sure, they may lost to Wisconsin but if college basketball played a best of 3, 5, 7, etc series, Kentucky would easily win it. No team would come close to beating Kentucky last year in a series.

A loss is a loss.

That is unless we're talking the Orange bowl vs Clemson where it's the worst loss EVER in a BCS Bowl.

This isn't to show up anyone or attack, I'm just answering your question after reading the other posts in this thread as well.

First, there are excuses and there are reasons for what happens in life/sports. And to talk about just knocking down shots against SFA when we turned the ball over 20 times is kind of like sweeping things under the rug. After the 20-11 start WVU couldn't get out of their own way after SFA dug in and played physical.

WVU made way too many mistakes, even when they didn't throw the ball away. They got frustrated and played worse. This team just wasn't fundamentally sound to make a long run and I think Huggs knew it. He said from the beginning that this team just does some really dumb things at times, now go back and watch the SFA game again. They never really improved in that department. This game was beyond a bad match up.

As far as the beat down question, I noticed after reading other posts that people tended to change the comparison into what they wanted, maybe to make OU's loss worse than WVU's.

But when looking at the two, WVU's loss to UK was far worse than OU's because WVU was never even in the game. They talked tough to a 35-0 team before the start and never really believed their own bravado because the instant they saw UK was the real deal and WVU had little room for error they collapsed mentally, just like they did against UVA this year.

So I don't see what difference it makes whether it was a Final Four loss vs a Sweet 16 loss when looking at the straight question of which was the worst beat down.

This group just doesn't play smart and Huggs needs to be more flexible in his approach or it won't change. I don't care that he's the coach and I'm just a fan, it's only my opinion for us to share with each other.

But this group needs to be mentally tougher and not cave in and get frustrated when they can't get their way like the UVA game or SFA. They stop executing and don't seem to know what to do giving the other team a window to pounce.

Now, if some of those guys like Carter go back to their natural position and the guys improve on their mistakes with a conscious effort, then the sky is the limit because the talent is there.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT