ADVERTISEMENT

World Junior Hockey Championships....

NHLN broadcasters saying the Finns top line is the best in the entire tournament.......meanwhile, 10 minutes into the 2nd, US now coasting 4-0 (Matthews has two goals thus far).

NHLN broadcasters saying the Finns top line is the best in the entire tournament.......meanwhile, 10 minutes into the 2nd, US now coasting 4-0 (Matthews has two goals thus far).
I cannot argue with their analysis. ....meanwhile...Matthews leaving little doubt it seems he is the clear cut #1 ....

Watching the 3rd period of Canada-Finland (the Finns just broke the 4-4 at the 4:20 mark). Not sure whose going to get roasted more: Blackwood for playing SO tight, or Lowry for leaving his hook back at home. If Blackwood plays a merely FAIR game, Canada still probably wins easily

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if Blackwood......who has that long and recognizable name.....changes his first name from MacKenzie to
something like Mac when he turns pro in an attempt to leave this awful series in his rear view mirror (and distance himself in some regard from the wrath of Canada hockey fans).

Lol...he should do just that! My wrath lies 99% at Lowry...Much the same as the football non pro's I can't look at the kids too harshly as they are still learning, and looking for guidance...How Lowry didn't hook him I have no idea? My buddies were texting back and forth with with me during the game and by goal #3 we knew the writing was on the wall and all said PULL HIM NOW! Not sure if it was the 4th or 5th Finn goal but when I saw the guy streaking down the wing I KNEW it would be a goal...Pulling him would have also sent a signal to the team that the coach expects MORE....Yeah Mr. Lowry we EXPECT our team to win, even though in today's day and age this request is more and more unrealistic....

To me, the light that glared so vividly on Lowry is that Finland pulled their starter after the (I think) 3rd Canada goal......while he refused to move on his.

Granted, playing on home ice makes it a little easier for the Suomi replacement to come in and get engaged; but Blackwood basically just never looked comfortable. Maybe Lowry felt MB's replacement had nothing better to offer; but I think he needs to say it if that's the case (though, that's admittedly not easy to do with a kid).

MB getting handcuffed in the last, what, 20 seconds of the 1st certainly seemed to represent every negative indication of things to come in the Canada goal. Hard not to think the Canadians were negatively affected by that goal (even though they came out strong in the 2nd). Meanwhile, I hope 6 goals in 29 shots in a knockout round loss don't end up sticking to him for too long.

To me, perhaps the biggest disaster in the loss is the fact Canada's best players actually stepped up; obviously Strome, Crouse, and (especially) Marner all had good games. But the Virtanen slash was a fairly undisciplined play at a critical point of the game; not good for a kid who I believe was considered one of their leaders. And while the delay of game call was fair, it was a damned shame it occurred when it did.

You already know Marner is an exceptionally elusive kid; though I hope (and expect, I guess) he'll grow a little bit before he starts trying to dance through the defense in the League. As for Suomi, Kapanen appeared to be a PP guy; I'm not sure he took a regular shift.

Indeed that late first was a premonition of things to come...meanwhile...as I am watching the Pens hem the Isles in all first how did the 'Merican's do overall after the 4-0 point?

Honestly, I turned it off after the US made it 3-0 and simply flicked back periodically to update the score. About the only thing I took from the game is how some of Matthews' (to my eyes) post-goal mannerisms appear to have been influenced by our favorite Crap, Alex Ovechkin.

Honestly, I turned it off after the US made it 3-0 and simply flicked back periodically to update the score. About the only thing I took from the game is how some of Matthews' (to my eyes) post-goal mannerisms appear to have been influenced by our favorite Crap, Alex Ovechkin.
Oh no! You're kidding me?!?...I hate that kind of nonsense...act like you've scored before and intend to again....

Oh no, he wasn't jumping into the glass or shooting ducks or sliding into home plate or the like.....any of that would have probably been a little stoopid in a blowout in a mostly empty arena versus an overmatched opponent. Really, it was more about some of his arm-waiving (and probably his size versus most everyone else on the ice) than anything which I felt as though I've seen from Ovechkin at one time or another.

In retrospect, my comment was an overstatement.......

Wow Finland!...to take out the 3 Kronas is quite a feat for them as well!

Just watching the 3rd in USA/Russia between work lol....one thing is very apparent to me...the Russians are sitting back on this 1 goal lead, and daring the Americans into a possible mistake. The Russian positioning is very sound but the US has truthfully commanded possession of the puck, faceoff circle and shot total....hopefully they can break this Russian wall and pot one late here.....

Damn....not for a lack of effort anyway....the Russian goalie Samsonov was quote good as well...no shame in losing to Russia they are a solid team by the looks of it...

Oh...and he's a little nugget from the obvious RAG of a newspaper Vancouver Province. Their sports page image/headline yesterday....
An 18/19 yo who makes the happy choice to wear his countries colours, and this is the kind of treatment he gets? This kind of crap really grinds my gears...worse than NY Post type shenanigans imo....what better way to help drive a kid outta town after he's only played a handful of games for the hometown team? If I were Canucks brass I'd be mad as hell...nevermind the national team program.
getimage.aspx

Speaking of disgruntled players (not that Virtanen is one yet) apparently Drouin wants out of TB already? Not sure what he would cost or if he's a problem in terms of work ethic or attitude, but he is undeniably talented. ...whether that transitions in the NHL remains to be seen imo at only 90 or so games...if he's just in need of some minor adjustments game/attitude wise he may be worth the risk?

Was traveling today, and this is the first I heard the US-Russia results.......oh well, send the rest of the North Americans home now.

And....Kaspari Kapanen (sp) scores the gold medal winner for Finland on a wraparound in OT...yikes!

Good on him and the Finns regardless. ....I have a feeling the 5-6 million Laplanders are partying well into the night....huge win for them!

Glad to hear that Kapanen can run for Mayor of Toronto now.....

Still, I agree that's a nice with for Suomi, and it's always good when the host wins (as long as it's not at my team's expense.....or being played in Moscow).

Reactions: torontoeers
Right! I remember you saying it was re: some work related developments...hoping all went well that way[thumb2]

I think the trip went OK, but I no longer seem to have the ability anymore to ascertain what the interviewers really thought of me; they all really poker-faced it. Might hear some response by the end of the week, but it could also drag into next week.

Meanwhile, I finally saw a replay of the Kapanen goal, and have to admit it was a pretty good offensive play.......but t, were you struck (as I was) that the Russian goaltender seemed slow getting back across the crease ??

ADVERTISEMENT