ADVERTISEMENT

World Junior Hockey Championships....

torontoeers

All-American
Nov 20, 2010
Port Perry Ontario
Not sure how many of you board hockey pucks will get the feed for the tournament but just wanted to post some random musings...

First off, IMO this is some of the most exciting hockey on the planet, and what better way to fire it up than Canada vs USA on Dec 26 at 1pm est! You guys have one of the best young players in the game who I've heard (but seen relatively little of since he plays pro in Switzerland this year) Auston Matthews. I'm unsure if any of you have seen him play for a game or 2 anywhere? Perhaps last year in the wjhc...I'm really looking forward to seeing the projected #1 pick and what he brings to the table, even if he's wearing red white and blue, rather than red and white lol...I imagine the goal for Canada will be to minimize him, as from what I hear you can't really stop him...also since he's been playing with pro's, (whether it's Swiss league or not), how this has grown his game...I believe former Canucks HC Crawford is his coach in Zurich...

As for Team Canada, Vertanin (Canucks), and Marner (Toronto), will be the ones to watch imo...Vertanin has had a slow start to his NHL career but I won't read too much into that yet, he has the talent to be a game breaker. Marner is on the small side but highly skilled at dishing the puck...Our #1 goalie Blackwood (who likely is the best player on our roster), is suspended for the first 2 games (8 in total by the OHL, who actually takes discipline seriously compared to the big league), because of a wicked slash to the shoulder of a Sudbury player a few weeks ago...our backup McDonald is capable but with Matthews bearing down (all 6'2 210 lbs of him) from the opposition I'd feel more comfortable with the #1 between the pipes...Another 2 I forgot for Canada are Brayden Point (recovering from shoulder injury), who's likely the best playmaker in the Western league, and Dylan Strome who will likely be teamed up with his buddy Marner...
Anyway just wanted to put a note out there...I think COOLMAN got some of the games last year? And bEER has remarked on how much he enjoyed the tourney in the past....Good luck on Saturday afternoon but not too much luck lol! I hope we are seeing a preview of the final...

From what I can tell, NHL Network here in the US is carrying pretty much the entire tournament; and with it being played in Finland, most all the games will be carried live during the daytime (and since it won't interfere with typical NHL coverage at night).

Presumably, the Network is simply snaring the broadcast feed you guys have in Canada (from TSN, I presume). I'm definitely anxious to watch Matthews for the US, and also Marner and Strome for Canada.....and even though he doesn't play for my team anymore, Kapanen for the Finns. Meanwhile, I heard (on NHL Network Radio) the other day about the Blackwood kid getting suspended for that slash; pretty wild story.

That is fantastic you'll be getting the majority of games CM...I am hopeful for one of Gord Miller, or Chris Cuthbert on th play by play, and not sure if Ray Ferraro will be doing a bit of colour commentary but I like his take quite a bit too...I am hopeful (for my sake anyway) we don't see volume 10+ fast talking Maguire this time around...yes too bad Kapanen is not a Pens prospect any more isn't it...Another I'll be watching for is Dominik Masin from my Pete's suiting up for the Czech's, he has a better than average point shot and is a very good puck mover...

I'll also say to you all have a Merry Christmas, safe and happy holiday season...Not sure how warm it is down in WV, Ohio neck of the woods but I'm quite certain we've never seen anything like this 60 degree and sun Christmas eve up here before...wow!

That is fantastic you'll be getting the majority of games CM...I am hopeful for one of Gord Miller, or Chris Cuthbert on th play by play, and not sure if Ray Ferraro will be doing a bit of colour commentary but I like his take quite a bit too...I am hopeful (for my sake anyway) we don't see volume 10+ fast talking Maguire this time around...yes too bad Kapanen is not a Pens prospect any more isn't it...Another I'll be watching for is Dominik Masin from my Pete's suiting up for the Czech's, he has a better than average point shot and is a very good puck mover...

I'll also say to you all have a Merry Christmas, safe and happy holiday season...Not sure how warm it is down in WV, Ohio neck of the woods but I'm quite certain we've never seen anything like this 60 degree and sun Christmas eve up here before...wow!

After more seasonal temps last weekend, we've been in the (F) 60s here in SW Ohio pretty much all week.....even yesterday when there was essentially no sun in advance of some monster storms which blew through last night (most of which happily went to our south). Anyway, today is probably the nicest day of the week thus far; mid 60's and bright sunshine. It's like late April/early May. I was out this morning, and Christmas Eve is typically cold (obviously), windy, and almost always gray......as I assume is the case in Ontario.

I'll probably be online tomorrow morning while the rest of my family is sleeping in......nobody younger than 21 in my home, including my mother-in-law, who I picked up from Huntington yesterday......and will be offering Merry Christmas wishes at that time (though, if you're going to be tied up tomorrow, please accept Merry Christmas from yours truly now). Meanwhile, I hope you have a fun and enjoyable Christmas Eve.

Meanwhile, I'm going to go ahead and finish up my first Dewars and water of the day (I'm not an eggnog guy) which I poured at 240PM......:beer:

Excellent...I just poured my first of perhaps many Creemore Lager (my fave brew, an amber lager similar to Yeungling with a bit more body to it)...I think the lovely wife is hoping I skip the Port this year, another beverage I have an affinity for and usually puts me to sleep on the couch shortly after!

Oh btw my bro-in law who's house the big family Christmas is at this boxing day (26th) decided to schedule it for 3pm...round about the time the 3rd period should be starting in a heck of a hockey game...he'll have it on for sure but I'll have to time the exit from home just right to miss little of the action....

Excellent...I just poured my first of perhaps many Creemore Lager (my fave brew, an amber lager similar to Yeungling with a bit more body to it)...I think the lovely wife is hoping I skip the Port this year, another beverage I have an affinity for and usually puts me to sleep on the couch shortly after!

Oh btw my bro-in law who's house the big family Christmas is at this boxing day (26th) decided to schedule it for 3pm...round about the time the 3rd period should be starting in a heck of a hockey game...he'll have it on for sure but I'll have to time the exit from home just right to miss little of the action....

Yuengling is just about my favorite.....not surprising, as I myself drink lagers almost exclusively.....so I'd probably like Creemore. BTW, is that a craft-type beer brewed only in your area of the world, or is it a retail brand on the shelf next to Labatt at The Beer Store ??

Meanwhile, keep that Port poured......

Yuengling is just about my favorite.....not surprising, as I myself drink lagers almost exclusively.....so I'd probably like Creemore. BTW, is that a craft-type beer brewed only in your area of the world, or is it a retail brand on the shelf next to Labatt at The Beer Store ??

Meanwhile, keep that Port poured......
If you enjoy Yuengling (that spelling always gets me), as much as I you would love Creemore I have no doubt CM...a little sweeter than Yuengling and a little more malty taste...a real craft brew...it is actually now owned by Molson (who by no coincidence jacked the price significantly, but thankfully didn't dick around with the brew recipe). It is originally a craft brew and is still brewed in a charming little town of Creemore Ont. And a unique fact about it is the brewery itself is largely operated by women...and these girls KNOW their beer! Next you are up in Ontario you would likely see it on tap at 50% of bars? Or better yet next you are here I will buy one or 2 for you...
Link below
http://www.creemoresprings.com/en/index

Well, a late afternoon Merry Christmas from SW Ohio to t, Euell, OM, and anyone else reading this post !!!!

Well that was a chippy first, and I see this one being contested throughout...2 very talented teams...one shocker I heard is 4 major penalties on day 1 already? I know the young fella's are all hyped up but wow! The head shot on Sweden's Nylander has has Leaf fans quite PO'd, and the Debrincat one shocks me a bit too...not known as as hothead or for his PIM's....you could tell as soon as he delivered the spear he regretted it.....settle down fella's, your future careers are at stake! Things heating up in the 2nd here chance wise for both teams.....I also wouldn't be surprised to see a call on my boys here soon for interference they are plugging up the blue line after the US shoot in just a bit too much, to not eventually get called...

Last edited:
Congrats to my American Mountaineers friends....methinks I'm the only one on this board disappointed in today's hockey result lol...I somehow knew Matthews would show up and make us pay...that was a fun game to watch nonetheless. ...hopefully a rematch in the medal round is forthcoming!
And hopefully the holiday season cheer is in full effect for all!

My wife and I were returning her Mother to Huntington yesterday afternoon......but i was pleasantly surprised to see NHL Network on her cable while my wife was getting her settled. Unfortunately, I didn't join into the game until well into the 3rd period with the game tied 2-2; though I saw the Werenski tie-breaker (I did not see the Matthews late tap-in). While I admit I wasn't watching closely, the skating appeared fairly comparable; from what little I saw, the American win did not appear to be an accident; teams looked pretty well-matched.

My only other comment was regarding the spear to Konecny; maybe you saw it different, t, but it sort-of appeared to me like the American kid actually just intended to give him one of those little hook/slash attention-getters (with the play dead) and simply lost track of where he was standing versus Konecny (though I'm not sure how). Regardless, it was a totally legitimate major call; I honestly recall wondering when was the last spearing major I saw in a game (hopefully, the next time the Pens play the Blue Jackets).

Anyway I think you already know there aren't too many Mountaineer fans.....at least around here.....who gave a shit who won, lost, or shit in that WJC game :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Even speaking for myself......while I admit I'm pulling for the US.....I honestly don't care that much who wins. And in some ways, I'd actually say I won't mind if Canada win simply because it's so many magnitudes more important to fans north of the border..

Just finished watching the first between Russia/Finns...dont recall even seeing Kapanen (maybe injured or a scratch), but WOW what a high paced action packed 20 minutes that was! Lots of hitting, skating and skill on display in this matchup...Canada/USA beware of these 2 teams....2-1 Finns thus far...

Unfortunately, Russia/Finland is not being carried by NHLN TV.

According to my channel guide, they're not picking up the WJC this afternoon until Canada-Denmark at 1PM EST (while showing their normal TSN lunch-hour Hockey Central broadcast). NHLN did carry the US loss to Sweden this morning......which I totally missed......and they're carrying Belarus/Russia tomorrow morning. Looks like that's the general daily schedule; a morning game......NHL related at midday......and then an afternoon game

BTW, I don't know this for a fact, but NHLN may actually be using their own broadcasters for the Tournament. In the Canada/US post game from Helsinki, the report was led by Steve Mears (and some other analysis-type). Mears happens to be a Pittsburgh guy who joined NHLN a few years ago as host for their daily NHL Live broadcast from the NHL Store in NYC. I don't know if Mears did the P-B-P for the game; but the fact this pair did the post game leads me to believe that might be the case.

I also noticed, during the game broadcast on Saturday, there was no Canadian network identity (like TSN) listed on the on-air graphics. Makes me wonder if the basic video production is being provided globally by the IIHF, with audio by the national/local carrier. With that in mind, it'll be interesting to see who's calling the Canada game this afternoon here on NHLN.

Last edited:
Hockey Central just reported that Marner and Strome will be separated today......

Hockey Central just reported that Marner and Strome will be separated today......
Interesting...I can only assume it is to try something different vs a lessor opponent in a game they SHOULD win convincingly...sorry about the loss to the Swedes...seems your and my teams are insisting on taking the hard road through the medal round in this one...
Perhaps too little puck for that Marner / Strome combo as well? I did notice them both trying to be a bit cute with the rubber vs US, and I suppose you and I are used to that facet with a certain pro team over the last year or 2 lol....
Meanwhile the goals keep coming in this Finn/Russia tilt...3-2 Finland now...

Reactions: COOL MAN
Um...I leave the room for 5 minutes and the Russians blow it open!?! 5-3....and my first glimpse of Kapenen, he doesn't seem in a good mood, a little chippy...

One more thing I just saw; Edmonton trades Ben Scrivens to Montreal for Zack Kassian. Classic bum for bum deal; but this proves the Canadiens must be figuring Price to miss a lot more games......while proving how little confidence they have in Condon and Tokarski when the games really start to count later in the season.

And maybe the Oil can use a goon.......

Interesting...I can only assume it is to try something different vs a lessor opponent in a game they SHOULD win convincingly...sorry about the loss to the Swedes...seems your and my teams are insisting on taking the hard road through the medal round in this one...
Perhaps too little puck for that Marner / Strome combo as well? I did notice them both trying to be a bit cute with the rubber vs US, and I suppose you and I are used to that facet with a certain pro team over the last year or 2 lol....
Meanwhile the goals keep coming in this Finn/Russia tilt...3-2 Finland now...

Maybe it is a Canadian WJC equivalent of the Crosby/Kessel conundrum; just not enough pucks on the ice at one time.

Maybe it is a Canadian WJC equivalent of the Crosby/Kessel conundrum; just not enough pucks on the ice at one time.
Well...with the number of ill advised low percentage passes in that 1st I had to check my eyes a few times to see it wasn't a black and gold team I was rooting for?!? I also have to give the Danish goalie credit, a lot of action around the crease and for the most part he held his ground...
As for the Scriven's deal, he was seen around these parts for a few years and never seemed to crack the backup spot permanently on an underachieving Leaf squad, I can only assume it was the same with the Oil...One that surprises me is Tokarski? From all accounts he was highly touted coming in and really hasn't asserted himself in net when he's had the opportunity from what i've heard and seen minimally...some Habs fans here thought so highly of him a few years ago that they saw him challenging Price...not happening it seems....and yes Kassian, a complete goon, can't stand the jerk...

Well...with the number of ill advised low percentage passes in that 1st I had to check my eyes a few times to see it wasn't a black and gold team I was rooting for?!? I also have to give the Danish goalie credit, a lot of action around the crease and for the most part he held his ground...
As for the Scriven's deal, he was seen around these parts for a few years and never seemed to crack the backup spot permanently on an underachieving Leaf squad, I can only assume it was the same with the Oil...One that surprises me is Tokarski? From all accounts he was highly touted coming in and really hasn't asserted himself in net when he's had the opportunity from what i've heard and seen minimally...some Habs fans here thought so highly of him a few years ago that they saw him challenging Price...not happening it seems....and yes Kassian, a complete goon, can't stand the jerk...

At the very least, the Canadiens probably have a defense fairly superior than, well, anyone Scrivens has played behind since he broke into the League (except, of course, for that short time he played in LA when his numbers were actually very good). I know he's big; and I assume the Kings thought they were getting something decent when they gave up on Bernier.

Speaking of Bernier, I find myself wondering......a couple years later......how much more satisfied Leafs fans turned out to be with him rather than Scrivens. Something tells me the answer to that question is "not much". Regarding Kassian, I'd wouldn't be bothered if the Pens took a flyer on a kid like that if they didn't have to give up much. He'd be at least as useful versus the Cryers or Craps or Jets as someone like Sestito.

Meanwhile, did I just hear Canada finished with 58 shots against Denmark ??

At the very least, the Canadiens probably have a defense fairly superior than, well, anyone Scrivens has played behind since he broke into the League (except, of course, for that short time he played in LA when his numbers were actually very good). I know he's big; and I assume the Kings thought they were getting something decent when they gave up on Bernier.

Speaking of Bernier, I find myself wondering......a couple years later......how much more satisfied Leafs fans turned out to be with him rather than Scrivens. Something tells me the answer to that question is "not much". Regarding Kassian, I'd wouldn't be bothered if the Pens took a flyer on a kid like that if they didn't have to give up much. He'd be at least as useful versus the Cryers or Craps or Jets as someone like Sestito.

Meanwhile, did I just hear Canada finished with 58 shots against Denmark ??
Indeed they did...the 2nd and 3rd were a far cry from the first! Although as I know you know it's so hard to truthfully gauge the results against inferior competition, and matter of fact I personally wish we could see the usual top six in this tourney each year, and perhaps the last place team the year before could battle with a group B champ which I assume most years would involve a Swiss or Slovak team...but I guess the issue with hockey is we dont exactly have dozens of teams that can compete regularly like soccer, thus we get these watered down games....

Re: Bernier...Leaf fans and myself as well really thought Bernier was the answer when they made that deal and the results sure have been less than stellar...something tells me if he spent less time concentrated on the 'Hockey Wives' show currently on what I believe is 'The Mindless Network' up here and more on his own career he may just experience more success? I recall the lovely wife's comment last week at our neighbours place when the Leaf game was on in background 'Oh that's Bernier! He's on the hockey wives show!' Lol...

Now I am hopeful this 'Quick Lane Bowl is somewhat mildly entertaining, I think 2 well matched up teams in this one...
I did see your second team BG Falcons lost in their bowl earlier last week...my condolences in that regard but getting to a bowl is moderate success nonetheless. ...

Well, I guess there were a few tight jocks north of the border today when Canada went down 0-2 versus the Swiss. I heard Boomer Gordon say this afternoon he felt the Swiss played Canada comparatively even.....and I see Canada only outshot SUI 34-25......and that it wasn't one of those games where the underdog hung in there solely because of an unconscious goaltender.

But regardless how things went, it's the final score that counts.....even though I know some fans of your Juniors are just as hard on the kids as the pros......and you guys move on. US obviously hopes SUI shot their wad today v Canada; they obviously can't have another game tomorrow where they more than double the SOG than the competition and can't find the net.

Meanwhile, how did Blackwood look in the Canada net ??

Well, I guess there were a few tight jocks north of the border today when Canada went down 0-2 versus the Swiss. I heard Boomer Gordon say this afternoon he felt the Swiss played Canada comparatively even.....and I see Canada only outshot SUI 34-25......and that it wasn't one of those games where the underdog hung in there solely because of an unconscious goaltender.

But regardless how things went, it's the final score that counts.....even though I know some fans of your Juniors are just as hard on the kids as the pros......and you guys move on. US obviously hopes SUI shot their wad today v Canada; they obviously can't have another game tomorrow where they more than double the SOG than the competition and can't find the net.

Well....wasn't that something! As you say some are harder on the kids than others...it parallels the NCAA really quite nicely imo. I am NOT one of them...they are not immune to criticism but I reserve my critique for the coaches in this case 9 times out of ten...nothing ticks me off more than seeing some lout at a Petes or Mountaineers game for that matter berating a young athlete...I was 18,19,20 once and looked to those my senior for constructive criticism rather than yelling and screaming. ...
So....2 things jumped off the page at me in this one...
1- Lowry the coach...he knows a helluva lot more than I about the game and I know in a short time frame he's trying to figure things out that work BUT the Cdn camp has been together since Spring and back together fall and then another week or 2 of warmup exhibition contests...do I think he shoulda figured out the lines already? You're damn right I do! Quit dicking around and make up your mind already Dave! These kids could use just a bit of continuity ....
2- if you are on an ice surface that has infinitely more room, just why are you insisting on running the play up the boards against a team with inferior skaters????

Blackwood was shakey early which I am assuming under the suspension is lack of rubber, he REALLY settled down in the 2nd/3rd and I can't really even fault him on either goal....I know one thing...if I could play Chabot on D 60 mins a game I would...calm cool and collected back there!

Yes CM...beware the Swiss apparently. ..they did NOT look like a weak sister today...and for that I say Good on em! Great effort....

US 10-1 after two.....:confused:

I missed the 1st and 2nd periods.....was watching the Mountaineers dismantle the Hokies......then saw no scoring in the first half of the 3rd period (after which I left the house).

So, Sweden continues their dominance of the preliminary round......did I hear right the last time they lost in the round robin was 2008 ?? I realize they play an elite Junior game in Sweden, but they're still playing some combination of the other three of the Four Horsemen (Canada, the US, and Russia) every tournament. How in the hell do they always get through perfect ??

You obviously never want to be forced to play the host in the knockout round before medals are at stake; but if anyone is in a position to overcome the disadvantage, you have to figure it's Canada. Meanwhile, statistically speaking, you also have to think the US is (or should be) pretty confident moving on.

Assuming both survive the Quarters, I don't know if Canada or the US has the tougher semifinal matchup against the Swedes and Russians respectively......I assume both sides want a piece of the Swedes. Knee-jerk reaction tells me the Americans might have it a little tougher, though Sweden should have every reason to feel decent about their chances since the Canada will probably be running them left and right (leaving them open to penalties, which obviously cooked Red and White in the prelims).

I myself think Canada better play very smart, and find a way to resist the urge to take all the (body) shots they're probably going to be dying to take. It would also help if the Blackwood kid played to his reputation. It'll obviously be a war between the Americans and Russians; I assume the US will simply try and bring the same game as they've been bringing thus far and hope for the best. As is likely the case for Canada, I seriously doubt they want to get behind.

I just read this morning that Vladislav Tretiak's boy is a goaltender for Russia. I see the kid is big (6-4 218).....and obviously from the blood lines of a pretty-decent stallion.....but he doesn't appear to be part of their current rota for the tournament. I read an old column which said he wants to play in the NHL someday; but do you know anything about the kid ??

Based on the fact he's already 20 years old.......and apparently no better than 3rd goaltender off their bench.....it sounds as though he's some distance from being viewed currently as the next Sergei Bobrovsky or Semyon Varlamov.

CM...you have given me A LOT to digest here...and I love it...Hmmm...I honestly need to think about this stuff for a bit lol....I will say the draw vs the home team is a real tough one...and Sweden, Russia, Finland, USA, all look damn good...Canada has a big uphill battle vs ANY of these teams....

Last edited:
THE most hysterical sub-plot of Canada-Finland is which team can convince the rest if the universe who's the underdog. Capping off the idiot pregame "woe is us" both sides are trowling out is this Lowry guy, who had the audacity to claim.....and I'm replaying the comment while I'm writing this......that "nobody expects anything from us".

I have no clue (and don't care) what's being said in the Helsinki media today; but the notion that nobody "expects anything" from Canada defies basic logic. I know the Finns are considered talented, and are certainly good enough to win the game. But this is the kind of game I myself have come to expect Canada teams to exercise their superiority largely through sheer force of will.

Maybe that expectation is colored more so by the NHL'ers than the Juniors....and I realize this WILL be a significant challenge in any case......but I still think Finland is a half step below the Four Horsemen of the tournament. With all the chips in.....and even on enemy ice.....my money is on Canada.

I did see that about Tretiak CM...and I know nothing about the kid really...that is some blood line alright!
I see Russia barely got by Denmark in the quarters this morning?!? Wow...Sweden is handing the Slovaks their lunch right now as expected (3-0 at last check), meanwhile I think surprisingly the place Canada MAY have an advantage today vs the Finns is in goal. Blackwood has not played up to his potential but the Finn goaltender's number's are not the greatest...If Canada is to move on the battle between the pipes must be won imo...Finland is fast and skilled it seems, AND has a very distinct advantage being at home, and also the home team as far as last change is considered...
This should be a good one...

Another thing I have noticed about the Russians in seeing them vs Finland the other day and in bits/pieces since...On their power play absolutely EVERYTHING runs from the back of the net. Set up and dare you to come back and challenge for the puck...really something that I haven't seen so much in years! They are a fun team to watch no doubt....

Lol! That statement is ridiculous! Is he trying to harken back to the Gretzky speech before Salt Lake (which was actually a clever way to take the heat off his players at the time)....Lowry will have plenty to answer for if they lose, and it'll have nothing to do with us being underdogs...yes it may be a hostile crowd but underdogs? Once again ridiculous....
Oh...and I can assure you Mr. Lowry...I EXPECT SOMETHING FROM YOU GUYS!!!! Lol

Last edited:
And after putting together as good a first as one could expect....Blackwood let's a softie in at the WORST time right before the horn....he is not there mentally by the results seen thus far....

meanwhile I think surprisingly the place Canada MAY have an advantage today vs the Finns is in goal. Blackwood has not played up to his potential but the Finn goaltender's number's are not the greatest...

Another thing I have noticed about the Russians in seeing them vs Finland the other day and in bits/pieces since...On their power play absolutely EVERYTHING runs from the back of the net. Set up and dare you to come back and challenge for the puck...really something that I haven't seen so much in years! They are a fun team to watch no doubt....

if anyone in the tournament should be able to make an opponent pay for less than elite goaltending, it shouid be Canada. They may not have the best team; but man for man, I myself always figure Canada to have the most./best talent (from top to bottom) in the tournament. In close games......and assuming no bad accidents (or unexpectedly good goaltending by the underdog, whoever it it0......talent usually wins out.

Lol! That statement is ridiculous! Is he trying to harken back to the Gretzky speech before Salt Lake (which was actually a clever way to take the heat off his players at the time)....Lowry will have plenty to answer for if they lose, and it'll have nothing to do with us being underdogs...yes it may be a hostile crowd but underdogs? Once again ridiculous....
Oh...and I can assure you Mr. Lowry...I EXPECT SOMETHING FROM YOU GUYS!!!! Lol

Heh heh......

As for Canada-Finland, my cable channel guide shows that game scheduled at 11AM EST; but for some inexplicable reason, NHLN is showing what I guess is a delay of Russia-Denmark. Absolutely ridiculous......the only thing I can think of is that NHLN maybe doesn't have actual clearance to carry that game live in the US.

Meanwhile, bad news for Blackwood. Any chance Lowry pulls him ??

Last edited:
4 goals...2 of them WEAK. He is not mentally there...and likely lack of rubber after suspension or well....i don't know...yikes....this team will get waxed next round IF they manage to come back....Blackwood should have been pulled after the 3rd goal imo....

Not good re: Blackwood. We're still not getting Canada-Finand live; NHLN joined the US-CZE pregame at 1PM EST in time for a 110PM EST faceoff (a full 20 minutes earlier than the listed 130PM start my channel guide has listed).......obviously, the US game is NHLN's priority.

Game underway; US 1-0 at 5:17......meanwhile, if you didn't see it, the Russians played essentially the last full third of their game in the Denmark zone, and finally scored the tying goal in the last minute of regulation. Danes couldn't win a D-zone faceoff, and simply couldn't gain possession.

Was only a matter of time before they cracked.

I see the Finns held on in a game which looked pretty wacky judging from the score......was the 2-man advantage for the Finns legitimate (or a major officiating favor for home team) ?? Meanwhile, US 2-0 after the 1st.

It was pretty legit imo....undisciplined, bad coaching decisions, no D to speak of, and ZERO reliable goaltending. ....sounds familiar to another team first half of season (exception the goaltending) to me....
I think I'll go be angry with everyone else in this country for awhile lol....

Lets go Stars and Stripes....

I do also give the Finns credit...they played a strong offensive game...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT