ADVERTISEMENT

Will WVU get $$$ from Big 12 W's in March Madness?

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Various sources say that Madness Madness money, other than for the title game, goes to the CONFERENCE which determines how much goes to each school.

Chris Murray of Nevada Sports.net

The quick and dirty on it is this: Every game a team plays in the NCAA Tournament is worth one unit. Each 2022 unit is worth $338,887 paid to the conference of the participating school. Mar 16, 2022

Washington Post article today:
In general, officials said, larger conferences split the money evenly among their schools, who use it to help cover athletic department budgets.

Richard Johnson of SBNation in 2018:

The NCAA explains the basketball fund and the unit system like this.

The basketball fund provides for moneys to be distributed to Division I conferences based on their performance in the Division I men’s basketball championship over a six-year rolling period (for the period 2007-2012 for the 2012-13 distribution).

I tried checking NCAA.com but they don’t explain it clearly.

Who knows positively and from what source whether March Madness money goes to the school that wins the game or to the conference to divide up as it sees fit, as sportswriter after sportswriter has written over the years?

I only want the truth, no matter what it is. Thank you for any DOCUMENTED proof of who gets the March Madness money per W. Isn’t that why we’re here, to inform each other about WVU and sports?

The issue is: Will WVU get ANY of the March Madness money from W’s by Big 12 teams?

Various sources say that Madness Madness money, other than for the title game, goes to the CONFERENCE which determines how much goes to each school.

Chris Murray of Nevada Sports.net

The quick and dirty on it is this: Every game a team plays in the NCAA Tournament is worth one unit. Each 2022 unit is worth $338,887 paid to the conference of the participating school. Mar 16, 2022

Washington Post article today:
In general, officials said, larger conferences split the money evenly among their schools, who use it to help cover athletic department budgets.

Richard Johnson of SBNation in 2018:

The NCAA explains the basketball fund and the unit system like this.

The basketball fund provides for moneys to be distributed to Division I conferences based on their performance in the Division I men’s basketball championship over a six-year rolling period (for the period 2007-2012 for the 2012-13 distribution).

I tried checking NCAA.com but they don’t explain it clearly.

Who knows positively and from what source whether March Madness money goes to the school that wins the game or to the conference to divide up as it sees fit, as sportswriter after sportswriter has written over the years?

I only want the truth, no matter what it is. Thank you for any DOCUMENTED proof of who gets the March Madness money per W. Isn’t that why we’re here, to inform each other about WVU and sports?

The issue is: Will WVU get ANY of the March Madness money from W’s by Big 12 teams?
Wouldn't it be better if we actually made the tourney and earned the money ourselves rather then worry if we collect on some one else's accomplishments.

Each NCAA Tournament Credit is worth roughly $340,000 per win/game

baylor - 2
texas - 2
iowa state - 3
kansas - 6
tcu - 2
tx tech - 3

total credits - 18

$340,000 x 18 = $6.1 million / 10 teams = approximately $600,000 paid over the next 6 or 7 years; depending on the current formulary

this does not include prior year credits earned by the big 12 teams. also, texas and oklahoma do not receive full ncaa basketball credits going forward. there are also other APR and academic bonuses from the ncaa too.

so yes, wvu will be getting some money from the tournament despite not playing in it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT