ADVERTISEMENT

Will programs like wvu survive?

So what exactly is going to change on the field/court in your opinion that wasn’t already happening?
If you think wide open tampering isn’t more prevalent with the NIL deal and the transfer portal with immediate eligibility, you’re very naive. I’m not saying every player is leaving bc of it, but it’s certainly impacting programs at a much higher pace. Name any other year we’ve lost what, 7 or 8 total starters before fall camp? WVU will not compete ever again in our lifetime of things don’t change.

So what exactly is going to change on the field/court in your opinion that wasn’t already happening?
What is going to change is schools like wvu are going to become nothing more than farm systems. The schools with large booster bases willing to spend the money will just poach away the best players. When it comes to schools with large booster bases willing to spend wvu is low on that totem pole.

If you think wide open tampering isn’t more prevalent with the NIL deal and the transfer portal with immediate eligibility, you’re very naive. I’m not saying every player is leaving bc of it, but it’s certainly impacting programs at a much higher pace. Name any other year we’ve lost what, 7 or 8 total starters before fall camp? WVU will not compete ever again in our lifetime of things don’t change.

Of course transfers are up, they’re up everywhere, and ours are off the chart because we have a lame duck coach combined with everything else. My argument is who cares? Some leave and some come, a good program will roll with the punches and do just fine. A national championship is as out of reach now as it was 10 years ago.

Of course transfers are up, they’re up everywhere, and ours are off the chart because we have a lame duck coach combined with everything else. My argument is who cares? Some leave and some come, a good program will roll with the punches and do just fine. A national championship is as out of reach now as it was 10 years ago.
I see your point but do not agree. With a defense in any of Dana’s early years, the conference was ripe for us to succeed. I also agree, Brown has lost my confidence. I disagree that we will have the same opportunity to win moving forward than what we’ve had.

We will always have a chance against Youngstown State...VMI...Slippery Rock or the new big rivalry game Glenville State.

I see your point but do not agree. With a defense in any of Dana’s early years, the conference was ripe for us to succeed. I also agree, Brown has lost my confidence. I disagree that we will have the same opportunity to win moving forward than what we’ve had.

We can win the conference one day, especially with OU out. We may even make the playoff one day, but I do not foresee a scenario where WVU acquires enough elite talent + depth to go 11-1, win a CCG, and then beat two top 4 opponents in consecutive weeks. That has been the reality ever since the CFP expanded.

What is going to change is schools like wvu are going to become nothing more than farm systems. The schools with large booster bases willing to spend the money will just poach away the best players. When it comes to schools with large booster bases willing to spend wvu is low on that totem pole.

*checks NFL mock draft* somehow NC State, Pitt, and Liberty have managed to retain their top 10 in the draft NFL talent, care to comment?

We can win the conference one day, especially with OU out. We may even make the playoff one day, but I do not foresee a scenario where WVU acquires enough elite talent + depth to go 11-1, win a CCG, and then beat two top 4 opponents in consecutive weeks. That has been the reality ever since the CFP expanded.
Well then...if you say so lol.

Sure. Ah huh. Okay. That makes it a lock Nostradamus.

Lol never made any predictions, just pointing to what programs with similar resources have accomplished this past year and the fact that our biggest thorn, OU, is leaving the conference. The program has a long road back because of not only the hole Brown put it in, but what the AD did by prematurely extending him.

Since the "amateur" student athlete is now a misnomer, I suggest we treat it like what it really is - a business. I propose these free market changes (which I fully 100% support):

1. No more scholarships. Athletes sign contracts, whereby they can negotiate their salary, fringe benefits, etc.
2. The university provides no additional services other than what the contract states. Student would be responsible for finding and funding own housing, food, and other support services above and beyond what is or is not in contract.
3. Student must meet all academic standards established by the university. Failure to reach academic standards creates a breach of contract.
4. Failure to meet established goals set forth in the contract shall be deemed a breach of contract.
5. If student leaves at any point during the terms of the contract, he shall be deemed in breach of contract.
5. Breach of contract by either party shall be grievable and subject to arbitration.

Largely, the same standards that are in any coach's contract apply to the athlete also. Since so many feel the amount of money coaches make compared to the athlete is unbalanced, hopefully this will alleviate that burden somewhat. It's becoming "professional" now, so let's treat it as such.

Since the "amateur" student athlete is now a misnomer, I suggest we treat it like what it really is - a business. I propose these free market changes (which I fully 100% support):

1. No more scholarships. Athletes sign contracts, whereby they can negotiate their salary, fringe benefits, etc.
2. The university provides no additional services other than what the contract states. Student would be responsible for finding and funding own housing, food, and other support services above and beyond what is or is not in contract.
3. Student must meet all academic standards established by the university. Failure to reach academic standards creates a breach of contract.
4. Failure to meet established goals set forth in the contract shall be deemed a breach of contract.
5. If student leaves at any point during the terms of the contract, he shall be deemed in breach of contract.
5. Breach of contract by either party shall be grievable and subject to arbitration.

Largely, the same standards that are in any coach's contract apply to the athlete also. Since so many feel the amount of money coaches make compared to the athlete is unbalanced, hopefully this will alleviate that burden somewhat. It's becoming "professional" now, so let's treat it as such.

The NCAA/schools probably could legally go this route, the issue I expect would happen is the schools particularly on the lower end of the spectrum will not have the available cash to offer cash contracts to the entire athletic department and will default to offering the standard package they do now anyway, since it doesn’t cost the school anything to give them a seat in a lecture hall, or sleep in an already built dorm.

*checks NFL mock draft* somehow NC State, Pitt, and Liberty have managed to retain their top 10 in the draft NFL talent, care to comment?
Those team won't maintain that level. The NIL is in the early stages its not going to get better its only going to get worse

Reactions: Rootmaster
Our neighbors 6 hours West playing under tOSU’s shadow and in an ancient tin can stadium did it, so yea, I say so.
Cincy doesn't have that many players the big boys want. They only made it to the playoffs because they play a weak schedule in a G5 conference. One of cincys top prospective DL just transferred to wvu. So if guys from the top of the G5 want to come to a middle of the pack big 12 team that should tell you something. If Cincy starts having success in the big 12 they will be raided as well.

Cincy doesn't have that many players the big boys want. They only made it to the playoffs because they play a weak schedule in a G5 conference. One of cincys top prospective DL just transferred to wvu. So if guys from the top of the G5 want to come to a middle of the pack big 12 team that should tell you something. If Cincy starts having success in the big 12 they will be raided as well.

Right, they beat the piss out of #5 ND in their building and had 8 players invited to the NFL combine, “bUt nO oNe wAnTeD them!”

Those team won't maintain that level. The NIL is in the early stages its not going to get better its only going to get worse

Alright we’ll see. Players generally have to play, unless they are just so freakishly athletic they don’t need game tape for the NFL to take them, they can’t all make the 2 deep at Bama, and a Heisman contender at WVU is going to be worth more in NIL than QB2 at Bama.

I agree except get rid of numbers 3 and 4 and replace it with "They don't have to be students at all."

John Feinstein wrote a book called, "The Last Amateurs." It was about The Patriot League - where players do not get athletic scholarships.
For my taste? I wouldn't mind seeing WVU adopt this model. We'd have to find like-minded schools to form a league... and it would probably be teams like East Carolina, Army, Navy, Southern Miss, etc.
But if we are intent on going down the current path... we will have to offer high school kids million dollar NIL contracts... pay coaches ten million a year... and throw unGodly amounts of money into athletics - in a poor state... and athletics will have to be prioritized over education.
-Winter Tim

Schools (or a business so to speak) will bid on players with most talent and highest number of followers on social media accounts.

Say a player is getting 50 cents per follower while at School A then School B alums offer 80 cents per follower. Wonder if said player gives a shit who the coach is? I seriously doubt it. This is the battle now not wins and losses. Social media war has begun. WVU needs to find some money backers to keep their players. Start the bidding process.

Fans of WVU should quit following the transfer portal players.

If wvu becomes a feeder school to the big names after recruiting...developing...and then losing players after a couple years then why bother being even interested in the teams? What coach is worth the money? What facility is worth it? Etc. Fan interest will eventually tank.
I suggest that the NCAA cut the number of scholarships - maybe cut 10 in football and 2 or 3 in basketball. And make the rules stronger - when a kid goes into the portal - his scholarship benefits (food, tuition, room, car, etc) end immediately. Also, put back sit out a year, and regulate when transfers can take place.

I suggest that the NCAA cut the number of scholarships - maybe cut 10 in football and 2 or 3 in basketball. And make the rules stronger - when a kid goes into the portal - his scholarship benefits (food, tuition, room, car, etc) end immediately. Also, put back sit out a year, and regulate when transfers can take place.
I would agree, but cutting them off won’t stop them when PaypalCal’s or Bill Selfish’s boosters and shoe companies putting them up in high end apartments off campus.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT