ADVERTISEMENT

Why not let the market place figure some of these social issues out?

EERs 3:16

Heisman Winner
Oct 17, 2001
For example, if an Atheist wants to deny service to Muslims, Jews, Christians, &c - great - let them do that and we can all see how long their business will stay open.

I think the idea is to protect minorites. *

I don't recall seeing any Atheist business denying service to people. The ones I've seen are Islamic or Christian. Hypocrites.

So you would require an atheist singer to perform at a Christan or Muslim event? Interesting.

Re: What I don't understand

If you're a same-sex couple, why would you go to a business that made it known they didn't want to serve same-sex couples? Surely there are bakers who would take your money and say nothing about it, just as there would still be plenty of people willing to patronize businesses that don't want to serve same-sex couples.

It seems to me that many of these cases are nothing more than agenda pushing, like the gay couple who showed up at Lost River Methodist Church in Hardy Country a few years ago and told the minister that if the Methodists wanted to continue to exist the church (as a whole) would have to change its doctrine. So far that hasn't happened and the church is still there. And, I assume, those guys are still gay.

This issue is far more complex due to a little document called the Constitution. That damn first Amendment again.

Because freedom of religion is not a fundamental right. But apparently having your wedding cake baked by whoever you choose is.

I do think there's an aspect to this

Originally posted by Popeer:
It seems to me that many of these cases are nothing more than agenda pushing, like the gay couple who showed up at Lost River Methodist Church in Hardy Country a few years ago and told the minister that if the Methodists wanted to continue to exist the church (as a whole) would have to change its doctrine.
I don't agree completely with "let market forces figure it out" because there was a time where systemic discrimination was the norm and there weren't any market forces forcing the change.

I also think that there is an aspect to this that people want to seek out the controversy just for the sake of seeking it out. Similar to the woman that fought and fought to be allowed to attend The Citadel, but then dropped out after 2 weeks because she couldn't handle the physical fitness requirements. If it was SOOO important to her, you'd think she'd stay in shape and be ready.

I honestly don't know where I fall on this one just yet. It seems to me that it isn't so mainstream as to be a real problem for either side. The bakery or whatever isn't going to lose so much business that they will not survive, and the discrimination isn't so systemic that the gay couples can't find someplace else to go.

Re: I think the idea is to protect minorites. *

What does anyone want/need that they do not have access to if they look. The problem is when someone sees an establishment that prefers to pass on one segment even though there is access for the desired service/product next door. Seems some are issues oriented and they want to live in utopia.

Honestly, who has been discriminated against in recent history? Could you have accessed another establishment?

lmao. The classic but predictable . . .

"We're free to be bigots without consequences" defense.

Not that I strongly support or oppose any of the particular laws being discussed, for the record--I think it's a moot point in the end. Society evolves whether the old guard wants it or not; their Biblical defenses eventually wither with the changing times. Lest we forget, otherwise intelligent and rational people once invoked strong, unshakable, fully certain scriptural support at varying points in history for for miscegenation laws, racial segregation, and even slavery itself.

Re: lmao. The classic but predictable . . .

Does that mean that everything offered must be accepted today because sometime into the future it will be acceptable? That is rather liberal to suppose everything will be OK in the future.

no one is suggesting . . . .

that criminals be set free from their crimes. We simply suggest that treating your fellow human beings like human beings might be a nice idea. It's served us well, historically. Things coming around that go around, and all. The Golden Rule kind of works here, as it does in most conceivable cases. Is life really so shitty that we have to contiue to defend old ways of parsing and pushing and dividing people against one another? Instead of just chilling a bit and enjoying the precious gift of life on earth?

Its not just this issue but in generalthere are some miserable spiteful shitheads out therelooking for an excuse to sue someone.

Originally posted by dave:
Its not just this issue but in general there are some miserable spiteful shitheads out therelooking for an excuse to sue someone.
Yep. And to cry about being bullied.

totally agree about the cries of bullying. The united states of the offended.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT