ADVERTISEMENT

Why does the media hate West Virginia

Which media? Sports, political, meterologists?
The "liberal media" he said. It's because West Virginia did not vote for Obama; so Obama, and now Hillary, are intent on destroying our economy and tax base. Why people don't see this is beyond me. Obama is using the EPA to cause massive sewer rate increases in the eastern panhandle. Killing coal industry and mining jobs. And the media is helping get the job done.

If you don't believe we all will be paying higher taxes and more for health care in 12 months, you are clueless. No insult intended.

Obama is using the EPA to cause massive sewer rate increases in the eastern panhandle.

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — With Martinsburg's massive wastewater treatment plant upgrade only months from being substantially complete, residents soon will be receiving higher sewer bills in the mail.

Effective July 1, all of the municipal utility's customers will be charged $39.32 per 4,000 gallons of water used per month, up from average monthly bills of $14.46 and $24.20. The latter is currently paid by the city's Wheatland area customers.

The increase will knock the city from the rank of having the fourth lowest sewer utility rate in West Virginia to the middle of 322 utility rates in effect across the state, according to West Virginia Public Service Commission rankings posted online.

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — With Martinsburg's massive wastewater treatment plant upgrade only months from being substantially complete, residents soon will be receiving higher sewer bills in the mail.

Effective July 1, all of the municipal utility's customers will be charged $39.32 per 4,000 gallons of water used per month, up from average monthly bills of $14.46 and $24.20. The latter is currently paid by the city's Wheatland area customers.

The increase will knock the city from the rank of having the fourth lowest sewer utility rate in West Virginia to the middle of 322 utility rates in effect across the state, according to West Virginia Public Service Commission rankings posted online.
Yes, and Berkeley County will be soon charging a "Rain Tax" due to EPA regs. And I know for a fact, that if there is any push back, I heard them infer that they would put every county in the state under the same regs and tax if need be to get at what it is they are after.

Reactions: wvufaninarkansas
Donald-Trump-for-President-Memes209.jpg

With the massive growth in Berkeley County the infrastructure had to be improved. No way around that and such improvements have to be paid for. Nothing unusual about that. No one is targeting coal because it is the largest part of the WV economy. Coal is being targeted because of its damage to the environment.

Yes, and Berkeley County will be soon charging a "Rain Tax" due to EPA regs. And I know for a fact, that if there is any push back, I heard them infer that they would put every county in the state under the same regs and tax if need be to get at what it is they are after.

We (meaning WV, MD, NY, PA and DC) are killing the Chesapeake Bay with fertilizer run-off. Those taxes are earmarked for county-level storm water remediation efforts. It doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

With the massive growth in Berkeley County the infrastructure had to be improved. No way around that and such improvements have to be paid for. Nothing unusual about that. No one is targeting coal because it is the largest part of the WV economy. Coal is being targeted because of its damage to the environment.

Not to mention:
  • Natural gas is cheaper
  • Western coal is cheaper
  • Electricity demand is down
  • Just about any source you can think of is cleaner
The trend is undeniable. Coal is not coming back. And it's not the EPA's doing.

I would hope the state will turn all these strip mines into something viable. Wind, solar farms. Why not turn them into hemp farms, create a few factories to produce products from the hemp. I am sure there are plenty of options. All I ever see them turned into are golf courses...

Wastewater improvements have nothing to do with growth. It has to do with Chesapeake Bay and EPA regs, all driven by the state of Maryland.

Reactions: bornaneer
Not to mention:
  • Natural gas is cheaper
  • Western coal is cheaper
  • Electricity demand is down
  • Just about any source you can think of is cleaner
The trend is undeniable. Coal is not coming back. And it's not the EPA's doing.
It sure as hell is the EPA's doing. It's nearly the only campaign promise Obama has kept. You can't change facts just be saying what you wish were true. Coal needs to be phased out, not tossed out. WV's current economic woes are entirely a result of federal energy and environmental policy.

Hey now! Settle down with the MD hate. Sorry we don't like being the region's sewer line.

It is so refreshing to see people calmly defend common sense public policy.

Reactions: Popeer
It sure as hell is the EPA's doing. It's nearly the only campaign promise Obama has kept. You can't change facts just be saying what you wish were true. Coal needs to be phased out, not tossed out. WV's current economic woes are entirely a result of federal energy and environmental policy.

All the easy stuff is gone.

Appalachian miners are "having to dig a little deeper into thinner seams to get the coal out," EIA coal analyst Greg Adams said. "It's high-quality coal, but it’s more expensive to mine."

Alpha Natural Resources, for example, spent nearly six times more per ton to extract coal from its Appalachian mines than it did in its western mines in the second quarter of 2015, the most recent available data, according to a public filing. That triggered a loss of $277 million in the east, even as the west posted a $4.3 million profit.

Spot prices of coal in northern and central Appalachia were $46.60 per ton and $42.30, respectively, in the week ended April 8, according to the EIA. Coal mined from the Powder River Basin in Wyoming and Montana are $9.35 per ton. Transportation costs from region lessen the bargain, but not for all buyers.

Go ahead and dismantle the EPA. It will do nothing to increase demand for what has become very expensive coal.

That sewage treatment plant by the Opequon on Scrabble Rd eally stinks. I feel sorry for people living next to it

We (meaning WV, MD, NY, PA and DC) are killing the Chesapeake Bay with fertilizer run-off. Those taxes are earmarked for county-level storm water remediation efforts. It doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.
What happens when your property straddles 2 (or more) watershed boundaries?

Woody , Berkeley could of had the builders paying for this stuff through impact fees if they pass zoning. Losing billions in impact fees. Jefferson has had impact fees for 10+ years

I would hope the state will turn all these strip mines into something viable. Wind, solar farms. Why not turn them into hemp farms, create a few factories to produce products from the hemp. I am sure there are plenty of options. All I ever see them turned into are golf courses...

Wind farms in the Appalachians are a joke, an eye sore, a disturbance of natural habitat and a drain on taxpayer dollars from subsidies. As for solar, enjoy it with the 70 sunny days a year in the area...

The ele
Wind farms in the Appalachians are a joke, an eye sore, a disturbance of natural habitat and a drain on taxpayer dollars from subsidies. As for solar, enjoy it with the 70 sunny days a year in the area...

Plus the electricity generated is going to New Jersey

Wastewater improvements have nothing to do with growth. It has to do with Chesapeake Bay and EPA regs, all driven by the state of Maryland.
I usually don't comment on these type subjects on the Blue Lot but you are wasting your time trying to reason with some of these folks. Hell they don't have a clue what a rain tax is.

The EPA, like the CFPB, IRS etc is unregulated with no government oversite. Meaning they pretty much do what they want. The "war on coal" is just that. Hillary and Barrack Hussein said flat out "if you own a coal plant we will put you out of business". So enough with the EPA doesn't have an agenda bull.
This environmental and global warming agenda is so over the top. Start with googling how much money is made every year in the name of environmetalism. Through out the earths history it's climate has changed...drastically. Meaning for every stat for global warming there is a stat debunking it. The bleeding hearts have made this a liberal hot button. And like usual they are great at pointing out the problem but have not a clue about a solution. Boone/Logan county are dying folks. They had to pass a special school bond just so they could pay their teachers this year. And btw, there is such this as clean burning coal. The technology does exist.

Doesn't the drop in gas prices have a significant impact? Just like gas, coal is a commodity. When there are cheaper and easier alternatives coal production will suffer. Coal was doing pretty well when gap prices were sky high. Obviously, regulation impacts the cost to mine anything so I'm not saying EPA regs (justified or not) aren't having an impact.

The plight of WV coal jobs is not something that just recently turned sour under Obama or any other President. Before you give that much credit to any one person you might need to know that in 1940(before massive surface mining) coal employment in WV peaked at 130,000 by 1960 that number had dwindled to 50,000 coal miners employed in WV, by 1990 that number had dropped to approximately 30,000. When Bush left office in 2008 there were 20,000 miners working in WV. In 2012, after Obamas 1st term there were 22,000 miners working. Wonder what happened? I guess Bush hated WV and coal. Obviously, strip mines caused a massive loss of coal jobs and had nothing to do with environmental concerns. It is also a fact that coal sales in recent years have been undercut by natural gas(Marcellus shale) and other cheaper sources which feed the numerous power plants. Coal just cant compete with cheaper, cleaner forms of energy, nor should it, we cant keep cannibalizing our planet forever. Since Nixon created the EPA, our air and water has gotten cleaner, but we have a long way to go. Ever been to Preston county and seen a creek run orange from acid mine drainage? Not long ago there were virtually no fish in cheat lake. I realize that you don't often get the truth on Fox news but don't come on this board spewing "bs" and not expect to get called on it.

All the easy stuff is gone.

Appalachian miners are "having to dig a little deeper into thinner seams to get the coal out," EIA coal analyst Greg Adams said. "It's high-quality coal, but it’s more expensive to mine."

Alpha Natural Resources, for example, spent nearly six times more per ton to extract coal from its Appalachian mines than it did in its western mines in the second quarter of 2015, the most recent available data, according to a public filing. That triggered a loss of $277 million in the east, even as the west posted a $4.3 million profit.

Spot prices of coal in northern and central Appalachia were $46.60 per ton and $42.30, respectively, in the week ended April 8, according to the EIA. Coal mined from the Powder River Basin in Wyoming and Montana are $9.35 per ton. Transportation costs from region lessen the bargain, but not for all buyers.

Go ahead and dismantle the EPA. It will do nothing to increase demand for what has become very expensive coal.

Western coal, which is mainly lignite, has a much lower BTU value than eastern coal which is bituminous or metallurgical. Yes it's easier to mine, due to less overburden, but it has somewhat limited application and it takes much more lignite than met or bituminous to produce the same amount of energy. So the per ton sales price is not an apples to apples comparison.

Reactions: BoHed
Bahahahahaha. That bs again?

Not to mention deadly if you are near one at the wrong time. Hint. Stay away in icy conditions.

Who said anything about Fox News? What this administration has done to the coal industry has nothing to do with Marcellus Shell but nice try with your liberal agenda. Trying to blame Bush by pulling out your 1940/60 stats reeks of partisanship and kinda soils your argument. Bring your ass to the communities in Boone and Logan County and spew your stats and BS. You are regurgitating the party line for when they are screwing people for the greater good. What a joke. Keep watching your MSNBC and being a sheep;)
Btw, I've fished Cheat Lake since '93. Never have had problems catching fish...maybe you just suck at fishing

Reactions: TIREPUNK and BigC
In the last 100 yrs has the coal company murdered citizens of WV? Yes. Has it knowingly polluted or caused the death of citizens through disease/effects of mining? Yes. Has it killed people through negligence? Yes. Yet despite all that a big chunk of WV will line up with the coal companies against the EPA which is trying to save lives/health of the people here?

Here's a nice one where the coal companies suggested that the adverse health effects of mountain top removal where actually caused by inbreeding

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/2...s-to-study-mountaintop-removal-health-effects

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT