ADVERTISEMENT

Which way do you want to spin it?

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
Only one Power-5 team that WVU has beaten has a winning record -- BYU, at 4-3, which hasn't lost since playing the Mountaineers, beating Toledo, 55-53 (not impressive), Michigan State, 31-24 (not as impressive as it would have been in other seasons) and Mississippi State, 28-21 in 2 OTs (also not impressive since MSU is 2-4).

On the other hand, only Missouri has a losing record (2-4, without WVU lost 2-3) in their non-WVU games.

I guess it depends which bull you want to gore, huh?

After all, the 1988 team beat only TWO teams with winning records to go unbeaten in the regular season. So if you diss what WVU has done in 2016, then you have to diss what Nehlen's team did in 1988. I would do neither.

And the 2002 Ohio State team, which won the national title, beat Cincinnati, 23-19, because the Bearcats dropped TWO consecutive passes in the end zone that would have beaten the Buckeyes; escaped Wisconsin, 19-14; squeezed by Penn State, 13-7; nipped Purdue, 10-6; went overtime to beat Illinois, 23-16; narrowly beat Michigan, 14-9; and had to go two overtimes to beat Miami, 31-24, for the national title.

That's seven times Ohio State won heart-pounding games to become national champs.

Kind of reminds me of WVU beating Kansas State, 17-16, because of a missed field goal at the end, and slipping past an average (we now know) BYU team, 35-32. Great teams find ways to win. WVU is 5-0. Maybe the Mountaineers, like the 2002 Buckeyes, will continue to find ways to come out on top, game after thrombosis-like game.

I'll be in Mountaineer Field at 3:30 p.m. Saturday to see if TCU will become victim #7.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N o quit against Kansas State, 17-16

T urbulence tore up Texas Tech, 48-17

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

BYU average record, not an average schedule early...they have narrowly missed in a few games and beaten some decent opponents...the latter half of their schedule leans in their favor significantly. I would not be surprised if they win out or maybe 1 more loss...
Enjoy the game Saturday CFE...should be a doozie as usual ...

I am happy 5-0.Looking forward to the meat of the big 12. Bring it on, let's see what happens. Another 7 straight wins wouldn't bother me.

Only one Power-5 team that WVU has beaten has a winning record -- BYU, at 4-3, which hasn't lost since playing the Mountaineers, beating Toledo, 55-53 (not impressive), Michigan State, 31-24 (not as impressive as it would have been in other seasons) and Mississippi State, 28-21 in 2 OTs (also not impressive since MSU is 2-4).

On the other hand, only Missouri has a losing record (2-4, without WVU lost 2-3) in their non-WVU games.

After all, the 1988 team beat only TWO teams with winning records to go unbeaten in the regular season. So if you diss what WVU has done in 2016, then you have to diss what Nehlen's team did in 1988. I would do neither.

And the 2002 Ohio State team, which won the national title, beat Cincinnati, 23-19, because the Bearcats dropped TWO consecutive passes in the end zone that would have beaten the Buckeyes; escaped Wisconsin, 19-14; squeezed by Penn State, 13-7; nipped Purdue, 10-6; went overtime to beat Illinois, 23-16; narrowly beat Michigan, 14-9; and had to go two overtimes to beat Miami, 31-24, for the national title.

That's seven times Ohio State won heart-pounding games to become national champs.

Kind of reminds me of WVU beating Kansas State, 17-16, because of a missed field goal at the end, and slipping past an average (we now know) BYU team, 35-32. Great teams find ways to win. WVU is 5-0. Maybe the Mountaineers, like the 2002 Buckeyes, will continue to find ways to come out on top, game after thrombosis-like game.

I'll be in Mountaineer Field at 3:30 p.m. Saturday to see if TCU will become victim #7.

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor
[BYU, at 4-3, which hasn't lost since playing the Mountaineers, beating Toledo, 55-53 (not impressive), Michigan State, 31-24 (not as impressive as it would have been in other seasons)]

The talking heads still think this was a big 'Top 10' win for WI.

[BYU, at 4-3, which hasn't lost since playing the Mountaineers, beating Toledo, 55-53 (not impressive), Michigan State, 31-24 (not as impressive as it would have been in other seasons)]

Not impressive no matter who beat Michigan State. The Spartans obviously have fallen off the cliff in football.

Beat Notre Dame. Who doesn't this season?

Smashed by Wisconsin, but not as badly as WVU beat on Texas Tech.

Lost to Indiana, BYU and Northwestern. No big deal if you beat Michigan State. No big deal if you beat Notre Dame.

The new world order is here.

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor
BYU is not a Power 5 team. If they are Power 5 because they're independent, then so are UMass and Army.

Also, we REALLY need to get someone to teach you how to use the signatures on here for that monstrosity of an acronym.

The manner in which we took down Texas Tech is what is turning heads. I 100% support the notion that we haven't beat anyone, but Saturday's win and the manner of winning is how a P5 champ goes about business. If we can take out OU this team will begin to get a lot of press.

BYU average record, not an average schedule early...they have narrowly missed in a few games and beaten some decent opponents...the latter half of their schedule leans in their favor significantly. I would not be surprised if they win out or maybe 1 more loss...
Enjoy the game Saturday CFE...should be a doozie as usual ...
BYU is a very good team with some very close losses to P5 teams. Toledo has the
potential to beat several P5 teams.

BYU is considered for purposes of OOC scheduling to be a P5 team by every P5 conference, so yes, they are a P5 team.

Nothing like a bold red WVU hate thread from Cuyahoga Falls to get the morning started. It's like a cold cup of dark black coffee

At the end of the day we can't control what the overall perception is of the BYU win. If Byu keeps winning then the win looks better but if Wvu were to win out I doubt the win would be considered signature in the eyes of the playoff committee. The best we can do is to keep winning. If we can continue to produce the same sort of performance we had last Saturday then it will improve the overall perception of our team. We are currently 5-0 this Saturday will mark the halfway point of the season. We need to get to 6-0 and hopefully better going forward. Its the best we can and its all we can do.

If a weak schedule would lead to a National Championship for WVU I wouldn't care one bit. Other teams have done it and have no problem claiming the title.

we are 5-0 and people want to shit on our wins while espousing how wonderful other teams losses are................Only in cfb or cbb is this the way it works.

WVU is a good 5-0 team and isn't exactly a product of their schedule. A bad team would have lost to BYU & Kstate in close games.

Reactions: SteelHeadEer
The only thing that counts: An undefeated WVU Big 12 champ will play in the Football Final Four. Everything else is just noise.
Starting with TCU Saturday.

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

I looked at Sag this morning, and Toledo is ranked higher than 23 P 5 teams. BYU
has played the 12th toughest schedule.

Reactions: SteelHeadEer
I think the BYU-WVU game was very important for BYU's QB. He is coming back from a major injury last year and by the end of the game I think he was finally back to his old form. He realized that he could do everything that he could do before the injury. I think that is why they came on in the 4th quarter - because if they wanted to win that game they have to go all out. Plus a few breaks and some prevent defense on the part of WVU.

I think the BYU-WVU game was very important for BYU's QB. He is coming back from a major injury last year and by the end of the game I think he was finally back to his old form. He realized that he could do everything that he could do before the injury. I think that is why they came on in the 4th quarter - because if they wanted to win that game they have to go all out. Plus a few breaks and some prevent defense on the part of WVU.

BYU is a far better team that people who just look at their W-L think is.

Going 4-3 against Arizona, Utah, UCLA, West Virginia, Toledo, Michigan State and Mississippi State is not something that an average team could do. And, most important of all, BYU was never blown out by any team! Not many teams can be that steady on good and bad days. That may be WVU's most impressive victory so far, although the Perfect Storm against Texas Tech is hard to top (except it came against an atrocious defense).

T ony’s turbulence tore up Texas Tech, 48-17

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor