ADVERTISEMENT

What if Big 12 had balls

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:

The Big 12 had taken Louisville and Cincinnati when they added TCU and West Virginia. That was definitely a miscalculation on their part and it is one of the reasons why they find themselves in their current straits.

I get why it happened. Texas was holding a gun to the heads of everyone else and the other members had no choice but to capitulate to UT’s demands.

Think about how different the entire landscape would look had they added Louisville and Cincinnati to go along with West Virginia and TCU. The B12 would be in a radically different position and the ACC would’ve had no choice but to replace Maryland with Connecticut.

Big mistake in my opinion.

The Big 12 had taken Louisville and Cincinnati when they added TCU and West Virginia. That was definitely a miscalculation on their part and it is one of the reasons why they find themselves in their current straits.

I get why it happened. Texas was holding a gun to the heads of everyone else and the other members had no choice but to capitulate to UT’s demands.

Think about how different the entire landscape would look had they added Louisville and Cincinnati to go along with West Virginia and TCU. The B12 would be in a radically different position and the ACC would’ve had no choice but to replace Maryland with Connecticut.

Yes, but they should of taken WVU, Cincy, Louisville, and Memphis; but not TCU (taken because they had a nice little 2 yr run in the MWC).

What if B12 HAS balls in this round of expansion. Let's see if Yormark has balls enough to sink the PAC by taking minimum 4 teams. Now that OUT has no say in anything B12 it makes it easier.

Yes, but they should of taken WVU, Cincy, Louisville, and Memphis; but not TCU (taken because they had a nice little 2 yr run in the MWC).
TCU better program than Memphis. If they weren't then Memphis would be there.

TCU better program than Memphis. If they weren't then Memphis would be there.
It was all about Texas money in concurrence with their latest success. But my point remains the same, Big12 should of came all eastward for additions.

It was all about Texas money in concurrence with their latest success. But my point remains the same, Big12 should of came all eastward for additions.
TCU was a former member of SWC along with Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Rice.

TCU replaced Oklahoma when they left after 3 years in SWC. OU moved to the Missouri Valley. In 1928 OU left MV to form the Big 6 of OU, Nebraska, Mussouri, ISU, Kansas, KSU. Colorado joined in 1949 making it the Big 7. Then in 1960 Oklhoma State joined to make it the Big 8.

SWC was weakened when SMU received the death penalty and further weakened when Arkansas joined the SEC. Thus Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and one private institution, Baylor, moved to the Big 12 Conference in the fall of 1996. They joined Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, SWC charter members who left the league during its first decade, in the South Division. Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State formed the North Division.

Three other private schools TCU, SMU, Rice were left out in the dust. TCU returned to Big 12 in 2012. Mainly because Texas A&M left a few years after Colorado and Nebradka.

This can all be found in "A look back at the SWC"

Reactions: Tylerite
Yes, I knew all of that, but was just talking about 2012 at the time of their addition.

Big 12 added TCU because TCU deserved it. Memphis is not really east. They are in the central time zone.

Reactions: Rootmaster
The people in charge doesn’t always make the right choices. The past has shown that quite well when it comes to the Big12.
Just because you love Memphis doesn't mean they're worth money. If they were they would be SEC all the way. Just look at Vandy.

Just because you love Memphis doesn't mean they're worth money. If they were they would be SEC all the way. Just look at Vandy.
I don’t love Memphis, it just is that they are no worse than Houston or even Louisville.

I don’t love Memphis, it just is that they are no worse than Houston or even Louisville.
Louisville is in the ACC. Should Memphis have been invited to ACC? I don't like the Houston pick either. But it is what it is and better than Memphis. That Memphis team can come with USF when the PAC 12 deal falls apart.

Memphis all time
W/L 93rd
CC 71st
all time wins 97th
Bowl games 84th
Bowl record 86th
4 Consensus all Americans 71st
122 Draft picks 73rd
4 1st round picks
27 weeks in poll 89th
0 weeks #1

Houston
W/L 65th
CC 62nd
Bowl Games 29th
Bowl Record 69th
All time wins 110th (because they played every Texas school for majority of years)
10 Consensus All Americans 54th
1 Heisman winner
183 NFL draft picks
15 first round picks
201 weeks in poll 44th
0 weeks #1

Louisville is in the ACC. Should Memphis have been invited to ACC? That Memphis team can come with USF when the PAC 12 deal falls apart.
Memphis just might get into the ACC. But I agree that Memphis and USF are the next two for the Big12, with SMU right there waiting in the wings.

WVO allen may put up the best posts on thisa board. always has lots of info i dont always agree but I appreciate posts like his that add to the debate

Reactions: Tylerite
If the Big 12 had balls, it would probably deny them and pretend to be a woman anyway. Its the right thing to do in the sports world now, thanks to ESPN, or should I say Disney.

It would mean we’d have Louisville now and instead of Cincy getting a CFP appearance they would just be here now and probably in the position TCU and us are in. That and the ACC would maybe have UConn… not exactly an earth shattering alternate universe OP.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
It would mean we’d have Louisville now and instead of Cincy getting a CFP appearance they would just be here now and probably in the position TCU and us are in. That and the ACC would maybe have UConn… not exactly an earth shattering alternate universe OP.
UConn is a dumpster fire. That would have been fun to watch with an ACC decal slapped on that ass.

UConn is a dumpster fire. That would have been fun to watch with an ACC decal slapped on that ass.

Probably about as good as Rutgers has fared in the B1G, but it wouldn’t have changed the landscape. FSU would have still won in 2013 and Clemson would have still emerged as elite to keep the conference’s head above water. So unless there was an alternate scenario where the Big XII could have grabbed both of them, it doesn’t mean much. Conferences are valued by the top it seems.

It would have made zero difference.

Texas and Oklahoma aren't sticking around because Louisville and Cincinnati joined.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
It would have made zero difference.

Texas and Oklahoma aren't sticking around because Louisville and Cincinnati joined.
I think we all know that. But would it not be a bit stronger? The new teams added after OU and Texas depart would have been just UCF and BYU. Then things might of been different on grabbing what you want next. But doesn't matter as ESPN is running the show.

I seriously never understand how Memphis every makes these expansion threads. Some fair to occasionally cheatingly successful basketball with a fan following that can't extend much outside the metro area. Why?

I seriously never understand how Memphis every makes these expansion threads. Some fair to occasionally cheatingly successful basketball with a fan following that can't extend much outside the metro area. Why?
you could replace Memphis with Louisville in your comments and it would still apply. The Big 12 need to come east with additions. not west or Texas schools.

Probably because the options are getting slim. If you aren't in a position to poach teams from a power conference, your options become schools like Memphis.

Reactions: steeleer
Probably because the options are getting slim. If you aren't in a position to poach teams from a power conference, your options become schools like Memphis.
It had already begun with Louisville by the ACC, TCU and now Houston, Cincinnati, & byu by the Big12.

FFS. if this happens then there needs to be 2 windows per year of no longer than one month to do these moves. That shit is anarchy.

Reactions: Rootmaster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT