ADVERTISEMENT

What exactly did WVU bring to the Big12?

It isn't as much the who of expansion as the why. Money and politics. All about Texas and Oklahoma. That's about the only reason I see. Everybody else is pretty happy as things are and would be happy for a long time. Not those two. There is nothing really wrong with the BIG12 as it is, except for those two schools wanting more money and making threats if they don't get it that threaten the long term stability of the conference. Looking highly probable that WVU doesn't get a closer school, but they get two more opponents even further away.
problem is if UT and Okie aren't happy one or both can leave and then we are on our knees begging the ACC to let us in. as much as we don't like it, there is no B12 without those 2.
My reading of the tea leaves is that there will be 4 new teams. UH, BYU, and Cincy are 3.
The 4th is either Col St. UCF or Memphis.
All are top 50 media markets. UH, UCF and Col St are top 20. Each will bring in $25MM per year with a good part of that going to the 10 current schools. These adds make the conference stronger now and more so in the future. Texas gets to keep their network, everybody gets more money, Okie is happy and will stay (they want to anyway), and the conference gets stronger. Win, win, win, win.

Reactions: michaelwalkerbr
You have no idea what your talking about regarding the Big 12. You base your conclusions on June data, not July. You are not privy to any of it, you simply troll.

Apparently you have nothing better to do than criticize other's opinions and try to imply that yours is somehow more informed or more accurate. They are not except in your mind.

Even though you don't care, I believe your likes are so low because rarely does anyone agree with you. Ignorance can be cured with knowledge, but when you mix arrogance with it you simply turn people off to your opinions.

What if everyone put you on ignore, would you continue trolling not knowing the difference? I understand why you do not show yourself in your avatar.

You are basing your conclusions on..........

Nothing was release from the "July" data. I hate to tell you, but the numbers didn't all of a sudden change from June to July. If you believe that, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'll sell you, real cheap.

Here's the bottom line. I'm not saying anything to be negative against West Virginia or the Big 12. Pretty much everyone acknowledges that the schools in question aren't that valuable. That's why none of them got picked in 6 years of conference realignment. The real problem is that you can't defend your position based on any concrete figures or facts, so you just get mad at me for highlighting that deficiency.

The Mountaineers brought Mountaineer Pride to the Big 12. Did they need to bring anything else? I am certain the members of the conference didn't take long picking up on Mountaineer pride and tradition. It's real.

The biggest thing that WVU brought to Big 12 was the commitment from Oliver Luck that he could bring the school into the league the next season. That was important because the league needed teams.

Remember the stink that arose when WVU announced its departure from the BE.

There were/are a number of things that made WVU an attractive, and compatible, possibility to replace one of the teams that left the B12. But Ollie stated publicly numerous times that the fact that WVU could join the conference immediately was the biggest selling point. He convinced the B12 that WVU would actually have little problem leaving the BE .... and he was right.

A perceived at the time strong football program, we have dipped down a bit since joining but they wanted a program that had some TV appeal and at the time we did have it with our BCS bowls and preseason top 10 team.

Bottom line, WVU was usually ranked, averaged over 55,000 fans, near Pittsburgh, dedicated donors (MAC) and a promise to upgrade all athletic facilities to first class standards while willing to accept a graduated payout. Also a commitment to increased academic standing.

problem is if UT and Okie aren't happy one or both can leave and then we are on our knees begging the ACC to let us in. as much as we don't like it, there is no B12 without those 2.
My reading of the tea leaves is that there will be 4 new teams. UH, BYU, and Cincy are 3.
The 4th is either Col St. UCF or Memphis.
All are top 50 media markets. UH, UCF and Col St are top 20. Each will bring in $25MM per year with a good part of that going to the 10 current schools. These adds make the conference stronger now and more so in the future. Texas gets to keep their network, everybody gets more money, Okie is happy and will stay (they want to anyway), and the conference gets stronger. Win, win, win, win.
Begging the ACC to let us in would be about as effective as making sacrifices to BAAL. We can only hope that Texas and Oklahoma still think this league is where they want to be in 8 years or so. I'm unconvinced but it will be a while before we know for sure.

Reactions: American Male
ADVERTISEMENT