ADVERTISEMENT

What do others pay for health ins ?

Assume for discussion purposes that it was a faulty verdict. An anecdotal example of a faulty verdict in that case does not mean that all cases should be restricted.
Many, many cases are faulty. Awarded by hysteria. Somebody has to pay when there is no liability. Too many judges let the verdict go knowing full well that there was no liability.

Assume for discussion purposes that it was a faulty verdict. An anecdotal example of a faulty verdict in that case does not mean that all cases should be restricted.
By the way, I live here, it was not anecdotal. The parents of the child said in the paper,they didn't want the people they entrusted with their child to be held because they had no money.

By the way, I live here, it was not anecdotal. The parents of the child said in the paper,they didn't want the people they entrusted with their child to be held because they had no money.

Matter of perception. One person’s idea of a bad verdict is another person’s idea of justice. The jury is not the last resort of someone who doesn’t agree with a verdict. They can make post-verdict motions to ask the trial judge to amend the verdict or throw it out. If that fails, they can ask the appellate court to review the verdict.

CALA and ATRA like to rail about verdicts being too high. But what about those cases where the verdict is too low, not enough to make things right? Are those included in the definition of jury hysteria? We trust juries to make decisions in criminal cases with penalties of putting a person in jail. Those same jurors should also be trusted in civil cases involving monetary damages, to make their collective decision without governmental interference in the form of laws arbitrarily limiting damages to injured folks.

As to those parents you mentioned, if they didn’t want to sue that defendant, their lawyer should have honored their request. Their lawyer should have listened to them before filing the case.

I realize that neither of us will change the other’s opinion, but i appreciate the opportunity to discuss this topic, and respect your position.

Matter of perception. One person’s idea of a bad verdict is another person’s idea of justice. The jury is not the last resort of someone who doesn’t agree with a verdict. They can make post-verdict motions to ask the trial judge to amend the verdict or throw it out. If that fails, they can ask the appellate court to review the verdict.

CALA and ATRA like to rail about verdicts being too high. But what about those cases where the verdict is too low, not enough to make things right? Are those included in the definition of jury hysteria? We trust juries to make decisions in criminal cases with penalties of putting a person in jail. Those same jurors should also be trusted in civil cases involving monetary damages, to make their collective decision without governmental interference in the form of laws arbitrarily limiting damages to injured folks.

As to those parents you mentioned, if they didn’t want to sue that defendant, their lawyer should have honored their request. Their lawyer should have listened to them before filing the case.

I realize that neither of us will change the other’s opinion, but i appreciate the opportunity to discuss this topic, and respect your position.
They didn't want to sue because they had no money and they were friends. They were the only ones who were liable. The fact that the jury cited a safety feature that wasn't in existance at the time should have been enough to vacate any award. In you statement you mention ways to appeal and I agree. I have tried to find out if this gross miscarriage was ever overturned and haven't been able to. You can actually google the incident and see what it was about. The judge should have overruled the judgement based on the fact the cutoff wasn't available at that time.

I can’t tell if that question is a joke or not. My wife used to work as a paralegal. Insurance companies whole modus operandi is to not pay you what you are owed, that I can promise you. Otherwise, personal injury lawyers would be out of business overnight.

Insurance gives you the right to negotiate for the benefits they legitimately owe you.

Reactions: CpEER
just got a notice that my insurance is going to go up from 1856.00 a month to 2260.00 . That’s with a 5k deductible per person ( 3 of us ).
Where or when does this shit stop ?

More people go on welfare or SS because they’re to damn lazy to work so I have to pay more . I’m so sick of this ....

Nothing like getting a dick kick from the mailbox.

End rant

I sympathize. The year the ACA came into effect, I would have had to pay $20,000 with $5,000 deductible for my wife and I had I stayed with United. Self-employed too.

Under ACA, I was able to get a $1,500 deductible policy from Kaiser for $12,000 per year.

My wife and I are both very healthy. I had been to the doctor maybe a half dozen times in my adult life.

Insurance companies screw you because they can. If you haven’t checked on ACA plans, do. It will effectively give you group rates.

Another option is to get old as fast as you can. I’m on Medicare now and it’s great.

Reactions: stevek01
They didn't want to sue because they had no money and they were friends. They were the only ones who were liable. The fact that the jury cited a safety feature that wasn't in existance at the time should have been enough to vacate any award. In you statement you mention ways to appeal and I agree. I have tried to find out if this gross miscarriage was ever overturned and haven't been able to. You can actually google the incident and see what it was about. The judge should have overruled the judgement based on the fact the cutoff wasn't available at that time.

will do. give me some identifying information for the case and i'll check it out and get back to you.

will do. give me some identifying information for the case and i'll check it out and get back to you.
google , lawnmower accident in roanoke Va kills toddler. My friend was head of HR for MTD and he said they were really watching he verdict. Family awarded 2 mill. Company said it would appeal but I never found out if the verdict was overturned

I sympathize. The year the ACA came into effect, I would have had to pay $20,000 with $5,000 deductible for my wife and I had I stayed with United. Self-employed too.

Under ACA, I was able to get a $1,500 deductible policy from Kaiser for $12,000 per year.

My wife and I are both very healthy. I had been to the doctor maybe a half dozen times in my adult life.

Insurance companies screw you because they can. If you haven’t checked on ACA plans, do. It will effectively give you group rates.

Another option is to get old as fast as you can. I’m on Medicare now and it’s great.

Why are you lying? You know as well as I, by reading all these people on here, that ACA has driven premiums through the roof for all of us and it's the worst thing ever.......[winking]

google , lawnmower accident in roanoke Va kills toddler. My friend was head of HR for MTD and he said they were really watching he verdict. Family awarded 2 mill. Company said it would appeal but I never found out if the verdict was overturned

During the trial, the boy’s parents dismissed the Reedys from the case. The verdict was against only the manufacturer of the mower. One of the jurors said they wanted to send a message to the manufacturer to correct the problem of the blade running when the mower went backward. Apparently the manufacturer settled the case and agreed to pay the parents and not appeal. The parents received about $760,000, and about $760,000 went into a trust for the brother of the boy killed. The newspaper headline said “settlement”, but the article itself didn’t. If it was settled, there wold be no appellate decision.

Anecdotally, my riding mower (John Deere) will not go backward with the blade engaged unless i hold down a button or something (i’ve never used it).

It’s hard to tell from the newspaper accounts what evidence they went by. My office sued a car manufacturer for the death of a woman who was eviscerated (gutted) by a backseat lap-only seatbelt in a rear-end collision. The folks in the front seat had the 3-point lap-and-shoulder belt and literally walked away from the wreck. The design engineers for the car manufacturer admitted that their research showed it would only cost about $11.00 to add the anchor for the 3-point belt for the backseat passengers, showing that it was feasible to do so without undue burden.

Why are you lying? You know as well as I, by reading all these people on here, that ACA has driven premiums through the roof for all of us and it's the worst thing ever.......[winking]

I sent a letter to Senator Corey Gardner to let him know not everyone was unhappy with ACA. He sent back a form letter telling me how he was working hard to get rid of it.

During the trial, the boy’s parents dismissed the Reedys from the case. The verdict was against only the manufacturer of the mower. One of the jurors said they wanted to send a message to the manufacturer to correct the problem of the blade running when the mower went backward. Apparently the manufacturer settled the case and agreed to pay the parents and not appeal. The parents received about $760,000, and about $760,000 went into a trust for the brother of the boy killed. The newspaper headline said “settlement”, but the article itself didn’t. If it was settled, there wold be no appellate decision.

Anecdotally, my riding mower (John Deere) will not go backward with the blade engaged unless i hold down a button or something (i’ve never used it).

It’s hard to tell from the newspaper accounts what evidence they went by. My office sued a car manufacturer for the death of a woman who was eviscerated (gutted) by a backseat lap-only seatbelt in a rear-end collision. The folks in the front seat had the 3-point lap-and-shoulder belt and literally walked away from the wreck. The design engineers for the car manufacturer admitted that their research showed it would only cost about $11.00 to add the anchor for the 3-point belt for the backseat passengers, showing that it was feasible to do so without undue burden.
I understand why the mower company settled because the bad press of fighting that isnt worth it. With that said it is ridiculous to be call negligent for not having new tech in a 30 year old product. I am su tree in the settlement it was clear they were not negligent.

The mower was very old, you didn't get that in the article. That feature wasn't available on a model that dated back to the 80's. The owners had taken care of it but the shut off feature wasn't on that mower. Roanoke is all about awards, the railroad here is always having these judgments against them and then it's appealed. It's kinda like Gary, Indiana where there always court cases that are won by plaintiffs and then appealed.

The mower was very old, you didn't get that in the article. That feature wasn't available on a model that dated back to the 80's. The owners had taken care of it but the shut off feature wasn't on that mower. Roanoke is all about awards, the railroad here is always having these judgments against them and then it's appealed. It's kinda like Gary, Indiana where there always court cases that are won by plaintiffs and then appealed.

So, if i move, it will be to either Roanoke or Gary, IN.

So, if i move, it will be to either Roanoke or Gary, IN.
REmember, you might be the one who gets held to be liable for something that doesn't follow the law so you would have that going for you. Are you an attorney?

Being here, the evidence was that the people let the toddler out of the house. If the toddler had wondered into the street and been struck and killed by a car, would the car manufacture had been liable for not having sensors to stop a car? There available now?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT